Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Basenotes Institution

Default Re: I took the Secretions Magnifique plunge

Finally...ordered a sample of this stuff. Watch this space and get the bucket ready.............
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...o-Profumo-Onda
    For sale. Carnal Flower and Vero Profumo Onda.

Good luck with that, Mimi!

I love Katie Puckrik's Youtube review, it deserves a place on this thread!

Basenotes Institution

Suga- yes, I know- poor girl - her reaction - it's making me afraid to try it out..............

EDIT:

I did it.... 1st testing mind you .....

Notes of : Iode accord, adrenaline accord, blood accord, milk accord, iris, coconut, sandalwood and opoponax ( From Luckyscent )

Actually, I do not find it so bad- I have not thrown up - though the bile did rise a little in my throat due to the Iode accord , I think. As Katie Puckrick said- it is kinda metallic.
    On me ,it is mostly - the Iode accord and then iris and cold steely metal and a bit sweaty - old sweat.

Honestly- not all that bad. I think I have probably smelt worse working as a nurse and that is probably my problem .

I will do a 2nd testing ...put the bucket away !

PS.washed off the scent well - and still it remains !
    Last edited by Mimi Gardenia; 24th September 2010 at 11:22 PM.

Cartoonish Royalty Le Grand Duc's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mimi Gardenia View Post
    As Katie Puckrick said- it is kinda metallic.
    Her best review to date ... she is sooo bloody (!) hilarious!

Oh, and sexy as hell, too!

Based on what I've seen * read * heard about it, I think it'd be perfect for you, Ducky

After all, you did kill (though unintentionally) a large bottle of Madame Rochas...so your apartment is technically a crime scene.

Bring on the perfume police!

Quote Originally Posted by domperrier View Post
    I think it'd be perfect for you, Ducky
    You know what?! I have a sneaky feeling it will, too!
    It simply cannot be that bad, and there those who think
    of it as a masterpiece.

Basenotes Institution

I am still smelling this stuff even after washing off. On my skin- it's a gentle metallic iris now . In my nose ( I must have stuck my nose right on to my skin when testing ) - I can still get a smell of sickly ,sweaty skin and iris. It's not bad but just irritating . )

Thanks for the impressions Mimi! I imagine time as a nurse will inure you to just about any foul bodily odor.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Thanks for the impressions Mimi! I imagine time as a nurse will inure you to just about any foul bodily odor.
    Right !
    The worst is probably Hematemesis - vomited ingested blood ...and 2nd ......stale old spilled blood IMHO.
    But not Secretions Magnifique ....it's just an irritating sort of scent to me - a little disturbing and thick with that Iode accord.

Sur la Plage

While it wasn't the most pleasant scent I have ever smelled, it didn't make me sick or want to vomit.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by petruccijc View Post
    While it wasn't the most pleasant scent I have ever smelled, it didn't make me sick or want to vomit.
    Ditto. Plus I really like the drydown. It's worth bearing with the metallic/iodinous opening.
    "Wovon man nicht lesen kann, darüber muss man schreiben."

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by tigrushka View Post
    Ditto. Plus I really like the drydown. It's worth bearing with the metallic/iodinous opening.
    I agree.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

^^^ I guess you guys are feeling proud of yourselves.

The most ironic thing about this fragrance has always been that, unlike the concept is trying to suggest, it really does smell more like a female excretions instead of male secretions. Please don't ask me how I know.

It smells intriguing but, as a personal fragrance it's just a silly little joke. Even Luca Turin would agree today.

Quote Originally Posted by lizzie_j View Post
    Well friends, I simply had to order a sample...all the fuss about this scent ('smells like death..not life,' 'pure bilge,' etc..), so I went to TPC and got an ml. And here are my impressions: Out of the vial, nothing offensive, in fact, a light floral. On a paper strip, still nothing nasty, but a little metallic. But on skin..egads, the stuff blooms (or rots?). It's a little nauseating, and I must admit, working in healthcare, very little nauseates me and I've seen and smelled a lot (use your imagination here). There's the metallic accord which I suppose is supposed to be blood, but it's not. I've smelled plenty of iron-y blood and this ain't it. This is a strip of something skanky-metallic. A new and unfamiliar scent. Then there's semen definitely. Lots of it. And it seems a bit perverse because it lies on a bed of white flowers (in the background). And I suppose I also get sweat, though it's not the clean sweat of someone who's just worked out and showers regularly. It's something more 'ominous' than that. Frankly, it's not as revolting as I expected, but it IS truly unwearable. I simply can't imagine anyone smelling good or even interesting wearing this. I must admit that is is weird and compelling as an olfactory 'experience.'
    Would anyone else like to chime in?
    PM me if you'd like a few drops to try. I can easily split my ml into two or three super mini samples. I really don't want to try any more than the drop I've already placed on my skin and am about to shower off!!

Update: 3 of you are now biting the SM bullet, so I'll be sharing a few drops with those 'lucky' (HA!) few. Sorry to disappoint, but there's always TPC!
    I had almost exactly the same experience, to a tee. Metallic, floral. Innocent on the card, downright NASTY on the skin. I am a mother of two, and when I tried it on my forearm, I actually felt dirty smelling it!

I still can't name this the worst smell ever, even though it is definitely patently unwearable, because it takes courage to put out something like that!
    And he whose soul is flat -- the sky
    Will cave in on him by and by.

—from "Renascence" by Edna St. Vincent Millay

I couldn't resist anymore, I've just ordered a sample from www.luckyscent.com ... wee, can't wait!

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    I couldn't resist anymore, I've just ordered a sample from www.luckyscent.com ... wee, can't wait!
    Oooh ! Can't wait to hear what you think, Duckie !

OK, I finally got my fingers on a sample of this notorious scent,
    and I must admit; I don't get all the fuzz. Seriously. This scent
    is nothing like I'd imagined. It's not gross, it's not vile, it's kinda
    nice! Yeah, I said nice.
    My nose is not trained at detecting different notes, but to me,
    this dosn't smell like a 'crime scene', it actually smells like x-mas.
    Here in Denmark we have a x-mas tradition of taking Mandarin
    oranges and press dryed Dianthus' into them, that is what this
    frag smells like to me.

While writing this, I constantly sniff my arm, I can honestly say,
    that I like it ... I'm really disappointed!

Hm...maybe you're just too accustomed to the specific bodily fluids it's supposed to represent??

Seriously, I'm a bit disappointed too, Duc. I was hoping for a crazy, no-holds-barred review from you; some wretching, maybe a bit of gagging at the very least!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Ducky, sweetie... Are you sure you got a sample of SM? Is it an official ELDO sample, or could there have been a mixup somewhere?

I don't get anything close to a pomander from it... And though I find it unpleasant, I agree that its reputation is wildly exaggerated.

Quote Originally Posted by Evangeline View Post
    Hm...maybe you're just too accustomed to the specific bodily fluids it's supposed to represent??
    I am! Imma nurse after all, and this smells nothing like
    blood to me, but then again, blood isn't known for its
    strong scent.
    I've smelled lots of semen, too, but not in this fragrance!

Seriously, I'm a bit disappointed too, Duc. I was hoping for a crazy, no-holds-barred review from you; some wretching, maybe a bit of gagging at the very least!
    I was hoping for something like that, too. But I don't wanna jump
    onto the wagon just 'cause everybody else is on it.
    The fragrance really isn't bad ... not something I'd buy, I guess,
    but still, not bad.

I can say, though, that it's a strange smell for a fragrance, but at
    the same time, I understand why some think of it as a masterpiece.
    I don't, mind you, but some do, incl. Turin as you probably know.

A strange fragrance indeed ... maybe I was expecting too much
    after seeing all those reviews on youtube, I dunno?

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    Ducky, sweetie... Are you sure you got a sample of SM? Is it an official ELDO sample, or could there have been a mixup somewhere?
    It's the real deal, I got it from luckyscent today!

Pomander, I didn't know they were called so, cool!

Oki-dokey Ducky... I'm just puzzled by that spicy citrus you're getting.

Quote Originally Posted by tott View Post
    Oki-dokey Ducky... I'm just puzzled by that spicy citrus you're getting.
    Not so much the citrus as the dryed 'nellikers', maybe I'm imagining things,
    but I haven't thought about Pomanders in almost a year, and this scent
    reminds me of them, really. SM comes off quite x-massy to me, strange!

The people who like Secretions Magnifique are giving me an ever-growing list of things to avoid.

Finnish gardens
    Chesapeake Bay crabs
    Oysters from France
    Christmas in Denmark

Basenotes Plus

???dryed Dianthus???

Must look up- I've made pomanders with oranges and clove buds.

Ducky, you must be prostrate with disappointment... I was also underwhelmed when I tried SM on skin at the SF meet-up last month. On me it was metallic, somewhat salty but nothing resembling blood or puke jumped at me. I got a mere suggestion of semen. Very glad I tried it, though.
    A Scent Rescuer
    Every great perfume deserves a good home

I guess I am next! Super curious. It's on the way to me and should be here this week

Quote Originally Posted by Le Grand Duc View Post
    You know what?! I have a sneaky feeling it will, too!
    It simply cannot be that bad, and there those who think
    of it as a masterpiece.
    I think you will love musc ravageur.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    The people who like Secretions Magnifique are giving me an ever-growing list of things to avoid.

Finnish gardens
    Chesapeake Bay crabs
    Oysters from France
    Christmas in Denmark
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by knit_at_nite View Post
    ???dryed Dianthus???

Must look up- I've made pomanders with oranges and clove buds.
    Well, the Danish word for them is 'nelliker', so I looked them up at the Danish Wiki,
    and from there to it's English article, which stated, they were called 'dianthus'..!

Quote Originally Posted by DavidBond007 View Post
    I think you will love musc ravageur.
    It's already high on my 'to try list', thank you!

I have tried this on my arm and the only thing I could smell was a metallic scent which brought to mind blood and I truly despise the tinny, coppery smell of blood, I must say I was expecting quite a tongue lashing but to each his own I guess.
    Happiness is a summer breeze, sand between your toes, and your family by your side.

Quote Originally Posted by Diverdown View Post
    I received a sample of Secretions Magnifique (thanks Lizzie !!!) and tentatively tried out a swipe of the applicator after I made sure I had a clear run to the bathroom for when the waves of nausea and inevitable scrubbing would occur.

I precariously sniffed the forbidden fragrance and .... was extremely disappointing. I found it to have a floral note and none of the unpleasantness that people talk about.

I asked a close female friend (an OR nurse who deals in blood everyday) and she said it smelled nice. I asked her if it smelled like blood to her and she laughed and laughed. I asked her teenage daughter to smell it , and she said it smelled nice (and believe me they tell me when they don't like the way something smells).

This is the Secretions Magnifique of legend? I find it very hard to believe that this is the fragrance that has people feeling nauseous and is considered by many to be the worst fragrance ever?

There is a light floral scent to it, that although not unpleasant is not something that I would consider wearing regularly. I worked in the ER and in Trauma in hospitals previously, this smells nothing and I do mean NOTHING like blood or sex.

In reading the many reviews it would appear that either many Basenoters have not smelled real blood and sex before or that their preconceived notions, delicate constitutions and creative imaginations get the best of them

If my close friends who dislike or are indifferent to much of my fairly extensive wardrobe like this and I enjoy it as well, it definitely gets a thumbs up
    I just received a sample, and steeled myself as I swiped a dab on the back of my hand, and I have to say that my experience is the same as yours. Granted, I have a large sample of Italian Cypress further up on the same arm, so maybe the more vile notes are getting drowned out. Italian Cypress is damned relentless, apparently.

All I'm getting is a very mild-mannered floral with some vanilla. There may be an undertone of something a bit metallic, but as a fan of Silver Mountain Water, it's not something I find off-putting in the least. I'll have to try it minus another sample on myself to see if these vile notes suddenly become apparent.

Just tried it. It's a bit like someone excreted into a typical celebrity scent.... but it's lovely. I'm on the like team.

I've actually gotten compliments when I've worn it in public. One day I was feeling brave, so I applied it quite liberally. That day, the barista at Starbucks said "Mmm, you smell good!" But then another day my gf at the time smelled it and almost vomited right then and there. She made me promise to never even have it in my home.
    Current Top Five:
    1. Bois des Iles--Chanel
    2. George Sand--Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier
    3. L'Ame Soeur--Divine
    4. Violet Blonde--Tom Ford
    5. Santal Blush--Tom Ford

There are plenty of foul-smelling things in the world already. Perfume has generally been used to mask them, not to add to them. But if you like it, good luck - just don't go anywhere crowded while you're wearing it. Please.
    And if you want to cop a sniff for free, why not wander along to our local town park any night - semen and flowers abound, unless the police have moved the punters somewhere else!
    Last edited by redrose; 4th March 2012 at 09:52 AM.