Code of Conduct

Default Dior Homme vs. Dior Homme Cologne?

Can anyone who is familiar with both of these explain the differences to me?
    I really like the smell of Dior Homme, but it may be too heavy for the relentless Texas heat. Given that it's hot here MOST of the time, I'm thinking the cologne might be more suitable for me.
    I can't find it in the real world, so I'm hoping the good folks of BN can help me decide whether to take the plunge for a blind buy.
    Is it less sweet? Lighter?

Thanks so much!

Matthew

Default Re: Dior Homme vs. Dior Homme Cologne?

Less sweet and indeed lighter. Ethereal but still on your skin after several hours. I would say half a day for sure. Some Iris can smell rather carroty, and that's what disturbed me with the original .And so I didn't buy it. The pH Cologne, by the way, was there from the start. But it was decided to launch the EDT instead.

Fortunately, Dior didn't wait too long before they also issued the cologne. To me it's the real thing and more special among all Diors, clear as the summer morning air. I am very happy with it.
    Last edited by narcus; 24th March 2009 at 05:50 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi č un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Is it less sweet? Lighter?
    Definitely. I'm thinking about getting it for summer as well. It has a citrusier top which fades into a lighter Dior Homme base. But I haven't tried it in hot weather yet. For an even less sweet Iris scent you could try Prada Infusion d'Homme as well.

I was going to stop by Ulta today and give that one a try!

Is there a non-sweet Iris with musk? I think something like that would be right up my alley...

Thanks for the replies!

Matthew

To my nose, Cologne has less iris, and a splash of citrus in the topnotes. The body of the scent is the same, but overall lighter in feeling. Lasting power is excellent.

For a non-sweet iris with musk, you might want to try Heeley's Iris de Nuit.

Hey, in terms of hours, or comparatively, how well does Dior Homme Cologne last relative to Dior Homme?
    Spring/Summer Wardrobe: vetiver extraordinaire, rose 31, terre d'hermes!

I have the EDT and Cologne. I prefer the Cologne by a mile. They're similar but I feel like the Cologne is just engineered better.

The Cologne, in the brief period I tried it in, only seemed to me like a lighter version of the EDT.
    Because of that I have just dismissed it before, but since then I've read many comments about it being the more 'refined' of the two, and this put it back on my radar again. I want to test this carefully side by side with the EDT.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

My preference? Dior Bois D'Argent.

Dior Bois d'Argent, while an excellent fragrance, is very heavy and not what I think this guy is looking for in Texas (where I now live). The Dior Homme Cologne is lighter, with less gourmand notes than the original.

There are many non-sweet iris fragrances. Iris itself is powdery, thus you really don't need an iris/musk combo. One of the most accessible, non-sweet iris fragrances is Hermes Hiris. It's essentially just iris and not much else, and you can find at discounters fairly cheap. It's unisex and worth a try. If you want to spend a little more for a non-sweet iris, L'Artisan's Bois Farine or The Different Company Bois d'Iris are both very good.

Basenotes Institution

Wouldn't Infusion D' Homme by Prada be another non-sweet iris, in the same vein as Dior Homme Cologne?

Prada Infusion d'Iris and Chanel No.19 are both rather dry iris scents, and both are wearable for men. I don't know about the heat, though--probably the EDT of No.19 would be best for that situation.
    Last edited by Asha; 25th March 2009 at 01:41 AM.