Code of Conduct

Default Diesel Plus Plus anyone?

Hi guys, I'm collecting fragrances that cover all aspects that I have (or want to have), hehe. So far, my collection has
    Ck One (my baby ) - Fresh, bright, sunshine.
    Hugo Energize - Energetic, sensual
    Lolita Lempicka Fraicheur - Romantic, mysterious
    So I want to search for a childish, playful scent, kinda smell like Johnson & johnson baby power . Then I come across this Diesel Plus Plus, the bottle is kinda cool, but since I can only buy it online (it's discontinued), I haven't had a chance to smell it. I heard that this thing smell milky. I really don't like those oriental woody like Burberry London, Black XS, Le male. etc. A*men dry down would be good if it's lighter and with the chocolate smell only, the spicy smell that interfere with the chocolate smell is simply offensive! So can you guys give me some advice?

Last edited by jasonx; 15th March 2009 at 05:15 PM.

Default Re: Does Diesel Plus Plus complete my collection?

???

Basenotes Plus

jasonx- You will not find many (any) here who believe that Diesel Plus Plus will "complete" any collection. Yes, it is a somewhat powdery, milky, cinnamon type scent. If that is what you feel completes your collection, then go for it. A collection of four, however, does not quite include one from each fragrance category, so your criteria is undoubtedly most narrow.

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    jasonx- You will not find many (any) here who believe that Diesel Plus Plus will "complete" any collection. Yes, it is a somewhat powdery, milky, cinnamon type scent. If that is what you feel completes your collection, then go for it. A collection of four, however, does not quite include one from each fragrance category, so your criteria is undoubtedly most narrow.
    Yeah, I'm extremely picky when it's come to fragrances. Hate aquatic and oriental by heart. My collection is not like huge collector's stuff, it's just a scent for each occasion. That's all

I really like Diesel Plus Plus. But unfortunately, it doesn't fit any of the descriptions you've mentioned for it.

It's a fresh ambery fougere scent, which to my nose is very reminiscent of Nikos Sculpture Homme. I only wear it in warm weather.
    Renato

If you're really picky I'd be surprised if Diesel ++ would complete the collection. I don't know what it costs, so if you can buy it blind all the power to you, but you may at least want to hit the local mall to try some fragrances at a perfumania, mall stand, or department store.

OK so you don't like orientals, but you've also missed a number of other genres. You have an aquatic/citrus (CKOne), a gourmand (Lolita), and well... I don't know what Energize is, probably a 'water' (per the 'fragrance category wheel' in the fragrancedirectory.com). You'd still be looking for a fougere (something like Polo), a chypre (like Pour Monsieur or Mitsouko), a traditional cologne (Imperiale), plus then there the woods categories (dry woods, mossy woods) and then of course florals.

Even if you're looking for 'situation' categories, which are unique to each person, you'd think you'd have - formal, day/casual, evening/casual, romantic - and then perhaps as many two in some of those category for cold weather/hot weather. Of course what is a 'complete collection' is unique to each person, so whatever floats your boat I'd go for, but BN is a pretty damn good website for learning and discovering fragrances you'd never have known existed. Also, the 'oriental' genre is very broad with many different sub-categories, and if you try different fragrances you may find an entre into the genre.

Default Re: Diesel Plus Plus anyone?

Since it's seems that there's some misunderstanding here, I change the title of this thread.

Thank you guys for your suggestions.

Since Diesel Plus Plus is discontinued, there no way to find it in department stores, the only option is to buy it blind online. So I want to ask if there is anyone who smell it before give me some opinion about it.

Does this fragrance suits what I'm looking for. A childish, playful scent, kinda smell like Johnson & johnson baby power without the spicy twist found in most Oriental scents (according to fragrantica.com, this is a Oriental Woody).

I have a chance to sample some of the popular Oriental scents including Armani Attitude; Le Male; Guess Suede; Burberry Brit for Men; Burberry - London; Bvlgari - Black; Allure Pour Homme; Black XS; Ultraviolet and have come to really hate that spicy twist.
    Since my country is a tropical one, the spicy smell in fragrances is just too much. However there are Oriental Woody scents that I like so much like Contradiction (reminds me of my first crush ), Obsession for Men, Obsession Night for Men (I'm such a fan of CK's classics ).
    Last edited by jasonx; 15th March 2009 at 05:54 PM.

According to Renato, who likes the fragrance - it as a fresh/amber/fougere. Word of advice - don't trust anything on Fragrantica, they were recently busted as having reviews that were plagiarized and then published as reviews of different fragrances, and no one there caught it until people from BN figured it out. Also, many oriental/woods aren't spicy, but some are.

Quote Originally Posted by jasonx View Post
    Does this fragrance suits what I'm looking for. A childish, playful scent, kinda smell like Johnson & johnson baby power without the spicy twist found in most Oriental Woody scents (according to fragrantica.com, this is a Oriental Woody).
    I've never smelled Diesel Plus Plus so I can't really help you. However, if what you are looking for is a baby powder type scent without spice then check out Demeter's Baby Powder.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

IMO this isn't a playfull childish fragrance. It starts very sharp and masculine while softening to a very pleasant sweet fragrance.
    unico grande amore.

Since it's seems that there's some misunderstanding here, I change the title of this thread.

Thank you guys for your suggestions.

Since Diesel Plus Plus is discontinued, there no way to find it in department stores, the only option is to buy it blind online. So I want to ask if there is anyone who smell it before give me some opinion about it.

Does this fragrance suits what I'm looking for. A childish, playful scent, kinda smell like Johnson & johnson baby power without the spicy twist found in most Oriental scents (according to fragrantica.com, this is a Oriental Woody).

I have a chance to sample some of the popular Oriental scents including Armani Attitude; Le Male; Guess Suede; Burberry Brit for Men; Burberry - London; Bvlgari - Black; Allure Pour Homme; Black XS; Ultraviolet and have come to really hate that spicy twist.
    Since my country is a tropical one, the spicy smell in fragrances is just too much. However there are Oriental Woody scents that I like so much like Contradiction (reminds me of my first crush ), Obsession for Men, Obsession Night for Men (I'm such a fan of CK's classics ).
    By the H&R Charts it's an ambery fougere, and in the same category as Brut, Michael for Men, Bvlgari Blv, Mont Blanc Presence, Dunhill Desire, Very Valentino, Roma Uomo, Boss Elements Aqua, Boss, Versace Blue Jeans, Xeryus Rouge and Allure Homme.

Most of these scents are often referred to as orientals or fresh orientals at other sites. But I think the H&R Charts have it right, as none of them smells like other orientals to me.
    Renato

Ok now you've got the attention of the right guy...

Diesel ++ was my signature scent for years and years, right up until the time I found Basenotes and started collecting.

The scent is a sweet fougere, milky in character, like sweetened condensed milk or coconut milk. Otherwise, the smell is green and bright. There is a prominent apple note, but it doesn't jump out and kill you like Dunhill Desire. I always used to get compliments on what a unique scent I was wearing. Quite distinctive for a designer fragrance. However, in relative comparison to a lot of other stuff I wear, it does smell a bit synthetic and can indeed be cloying if you use too much.

Similar scents include: Nikos Sculpture, Dunhill Desire Blue (and to some extent, Red), and Montale Wood - Spice.

It won't complete your wardrobe, so if that's your main focus, you'll need to look elsewhere. Still, I'd say give it a try. You should be able to find a bottle for $20-25. Or you could wait for my lazy ass to send you a sample. But for $20, I'd say just try it.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Thank you guys so much for your opinions.
    It's pretty cheap, get from amazon for 20$ free shipping, so I guess I'll give it a try.
    By the way, is this suitable for hot weather since my country is very hot year round?

Thank you guys so much for your opinions.
    It's pretty cheap, get from amazon for 20$ free shipping, so I guess I'll give it a try.
    By the way, is this suitable for hot weather since my country is very hot year round?
    Yes, it is very suitable for hot weather, and it doesn't immediately come off with perspiration, the way many citrus scents are prone to do.
    Renato

In hot weather in particular, start with 1 or 2 sprays. If you need more, you can spray more.

Don't overdo it or you'll regret it.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    In hot weather in particular, start with 1 or 2 sprays. If you need more, you can spray more.

Don't overdo it or you'll regret it.
    I always wore six sprays - and enjoyed it.
    It kept me fresh for nearly as long as my best keep-me-fresh-all-day scent did (i.e. Chrome).
    But I must admit, it is extra sharp on initial application.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 16th March 2009 at 03:10 PM.

I like Plus Plus. In addition to it's unusual milkiness, there is a kind if sensation of "coldness" about it. When it goes on, it's like applying ice cubes that were made out of milk. It was a good blind buy for me.

I also saw this one on Amazon and thought about buying it. Let us know what you think of it when you buy it.