Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question How many blind buy fragrances at your current wardrobe?

Hi,

How many fragrances do you have at the moment in total, and how many of then have you bought blind?

I have 76 bottles at the moment and 32 of them I have bought blind (!)

Naturally I have made many unsuccesful blindbuys as well, and those bottles I have disposed of in a way or another.

I love blind buys although I do them more and more rarely these days. Perhaps I`m getting old and boring....

You?

Default Re: How many blind buy fragrances at your current wardrobe?

I have 9 (not many hehe) and 2 of them are buy blind. I hate those two guts though.

I have 170+ frags and more than half have been blind buys. Well, I say blind buy, but most have just been because of the positive reviews here on basenotes Only a few times have I gone against a negative fragrance because I liked the bottle or frag house. I try to test as many fragrances as I can before I buy them but some older scents are not widely available to test in scent stores so I just dive right in and purchase. This wild way of attaining frags has left me with a lot of unwanted ones that prove hard to shift though
    ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧UK Sale Thread: Niche & Designer bottles for sale UK✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

Current Top Favorites:
    1) DAVIDOFF Silver Shadow Private Blend
    2) BOND No.9 New York Oud
    3) LUBIN Idole de Lubin (eau de parfum)
    4) MONT BLANC Legend Intense
    5) CHARRIOL Eau de Parfum pour Homme
    6) YSL L'Homme Parfum Intense
    7) DIOR La Collection Privée - Ambre Nuit
    8) SCENTSTORY 24 Gold
    9) HERMES Voyage d'Hermès Parfum
    10) LATTAFA Ameer Al Oudh

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ UK Niche, Rare & Designer Complete Decant List UK ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧ Facebook Decant List ✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧✧

I only have around 20 and about half of those have been blind buys, luckily most of them have been just perfect for my tastes. Oddly enough, the stranger more 'avant garde' scents I own that normally one would think are not good blind buys have been the best for me.

Wow, a shocking 19 fragrances, that's a little under a half of my wardrobe! Usually I blind buy designer frags, but I have bought a couple niche frags blind (based on the reviews on here I just HAD to have them)

Most of them I either fall in love with or like alot, there are few that were disappointing, but I learned to love them.

I sample alot now, although I have been getting the urge for another blind buy!

Two. Bvgulari PH Extreme which i got sunday and Versace eau fraiche which i got today. LOVE them both.

I have a modest collection of 21 Full bottles. 7 have been bought blind : Obsession Night Men, Joop! Nightflight, RL Polo Sport, John Varvatos, Rive Gauche pour homme, Versace Baby Blue Jeans, and Balmain Balman.

I also previously bought Drakkar Noir, Emporio Armani White, Burberry Touch and CSP Aqua Motu all blind. The last 2 were disasters. All 4 are thankfully no longer with me.

I really should stop buying blind, although some have been fantastic. My main problem is that I lack access to testers. The shops in my city only have very mainstream and current fragrances. You wont even find a CK frag from 5 years ago because it is "passe".
    Last edited by Surfacing; 24th March 2009 at 08:17 PM. Reason: add info

I am relieved to say none. I am far to anal to purchase anything without first sampling it. In fact I am introducing a new rule that means I shall sample any prospective purchase a second time. The blind buying sounds kind of fun, pity I am too analytical for that.
    Last edited by Bartlebooth; 24th March 2009 at 08:21 PM. Reason: Typo

Not that I have many, but all of them. About 15.

Two completely blind: Ungaro III and Antaeus
    Two based on only a few minutes exposure: L'Anarchste and Yatagan

So I would say 4 out of 12.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

Exactly one blind buy: tangerine vert.
    Currently wearing: Augusto by Mazzolari

Out of 20 scents, 12 have been bought blind... Three others I've bought within hours of testing at the store... I've included blind bought scents whose flankers I've tested (Tested Rive Gauche & blind bought Rive Gauche Intense & Owned L'Instant EdT & blind bought L'Instant EdP).

over 50 and about 45 are blind buys, the GOOD NEWS is that i only regret about 2 and they are both from YSL ( Kuoros and Rive Gaunche )

30% of the fragrances in my 'drobe were bought blind, though nowadays I can make pretty good educated guesses as to whether I'm going to like something or not. My recent blind buys have thus all been successful, but when my learning curve was steeper I made many errors. I will now only buy blind if it is physically impossible to get a sample first and/or there is some sort of rush or pressure to buy (i.e. it's a discontinued fragrance that appears on eBay once a year and there it is)

12 out of 28
    Currently wearing: Baie de Genièvre by Creed

From the 60 in my collection my blind buys are:

Full bottles = 5
    Decants = 8

Out of the 8 I currently own, I bought 3 without sampling but had read reviews prior to purchase (Creed MI and FM Musc Ravageur: like a lot. Amouage Jubilation XXV: still on the fence) and received one as a gift (Lancome Miracle Homme: dislike this one).
    "Health food may be good for the conscience but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better" - Robert Redford

I have 80+ fragrances (I really need to update my wardrobe) and I would say 90+% of them are blind buys based largely on recommendations from Basenotes.

I find it exciting to receive and discover a fragrance that I have been interested in and reading about on Basenotes. I will definitely continue to blind buy (my only disappointments were with Creed GIT and MI which I still have, and they were both new from a reputable dealer).

Also, many fragrances were purchased from Basenoters and all purchasing experiences have been excellent.

Currently, I have become more interested in swapping partial bottles (10-20ml) from my wardrobe for partial bottles from other Basenoters because I have too many items in my wardrobe to realistically use and I think many of us are in the same situation

Wow, I may be the only person on BN that has 0 blind buys. I just don't have that much disposable income to make mistakes. There are too many things that I HAVE smelled that I want.

I have quite a few, can't for the life of me work out how many were blind buys.

Ungaro III was definitely blind, and I loved it.

A recent acquisition was Helmut Lang EDC which I bought contrary to reviews on BN and I'm glad I did because it is divine - way way better than some of the sniffy reviews of it in the BN directory. I actually bought it because of the price I anticipated paying for it on Ebay. It was so low and the prices elsewhere so high that I figured I could buy it, try it and still sell if for a profit if I didn't like it. I like it. A lot. I won't be selling it.

Some blinds I have regretted, but not that many.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

I have almost 80 frags in my lot & a fraction under 50% of those was purchased blind .

SALES
    JANUARY 2013 ..http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=232133

*** SPECIAL - LUI ROCHAS , 3.3oz Sealed ***

FLACON .. Updating Soon flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=43

7. Well, 7 and a half. I had no idea how the EDP of L'instant would smell. But I was pleasantly surprised. But out of 22, that's rougly a third. That's not too bad.

I've actually strongly disliked stuff that I've bought after smelling, and subsequently returned. I'm not saying I should continue blind buying, but I find that interesting.
    Last edited by dynendal; 24th March 2009 at 10:47 PM.

I'm with you there... I've never done a blind buy, though I have done some blind swapping. That can be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Wow, I may be the only person on BN that has 0 blind buys. I just don't have that much disposable income to make mistakes. There are too many things that I HAVE smelled that I want.

Add another blind buy to the list - Eau Sauvage Fraicheur Cuir

Absolutely None!

I am one of those gentleman who is extremely picky and I have the kind of skin chemistry that many highly regarded and well reviewed fragrances when sampled have worked out to be absolute disasters for me.

That is the reason I will not blind buy no matter how attractive the price.

I highly believe that sampling is the only way for me to identify those fragrances that will achieve the status as to being full bottle worthy.

Best,

TJ
    Last edited by TigerJuice; 24th March 2009 at 11:10 PM. Reason: Grammar

I don't believe in buying blind. Absolutely against it. I have to smell any fragrance I purchase. I don't know if this counts, but I bought a really tiny 13 ml bottle of Gucci pour homme, but only to sample the fragrance.

Zero.
    But I have a very small, specific, and incomplete(only nailed down green and citrus so far), and I'm exteemely picky. Also pretty much everything I would want to test is local, and what's not is easily had via pay-sample-by-mail. Eventually I'll have a few in there. Maybe when I blind-buy some of the new "frsshness" molinard edt's
    Currently wearing: Royal Mayfair by Creed

15 out of 35 of mine are blind, never really realized that, although a couple of them were gifts (Michael, Fahrenheit 32)

One, Re by Laura Tonatto. I love the galbanum .

Four.