Code of Conduct

Default wearing Armani Priv Cuir Amthyste

There are several reviews claiming it to be too feminine for men. Do you agree or disagree? I would like to hear your opinion either way.

Default Re: wearing Armani Priv Cuir Amthyste

It leans more towards the feminine side, but I can't see why a man couldn't pull it off.

Post Thanks / Like

I disagree. Cuir Amethyste reminds me of Jean Pascal pour Homme. Habit Rouge and Dior Homme strike me as more feminine than Cuir Amethyste.
    Last edited by TwoRoads; 25th March 2009 at 12:26 AM.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

I disagree. On me it's a very masculine dark scent, woody and leathery, I don't get the floral notes at all, but it could be my skin chemistry. Now that Black Orchid VF on the other hand...

Post Thanks / Like

It's totally unisex.

Post Thanks / Like

There is a powdery sweetness to it that makes me think of it as more feminine but It isn't any sweeter than any of the other sweet-tart smelling frags out there right now. The metallic quality is nice and butches it up a bit. I debated buying it a few days ago. Wore it home for the evening and in the end, it didn't work for me. The slight femininity was too confusing for me. I felt like I was spending too much time trying to figure it out. I'm sure it is masculine enough on other people though.

This will sound like blasphemy to some but, for me, Magnetism gives me the same fragrance emotion without the worry of it being too feminine.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

Post Thanks / Like

Without re-igniting old arguments: why the preoccupation with whether something may or may not be considered 'feminine'? If you like the fragrance, just wear it and don't worry about what a few passerbys may think. It's a personal decision, so who cares? There's way too many incredible fragrances to be limited by social constructs. As long as you're confident you can wear anything and there will be nothing to worry about.

OK, no need to get into a whole thing about it... editorial over. Back to your regular programming.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    Without re-igniting old arguments: why the preoccupation with whether something may or may not be considered 'feminine'? If you like the fragrance, just wear it and don't worry about what a few passerbys may think. It's a personal decision, so who cares? There's way too many incredible fragrances to be limited by social constructs. As long as you're confident you can wear anything and there will be nothing to worry about.

OK, no need to get into a whole thing about it... editorial over. Back to your regular programming.
    Okay, not countering your comment but adding to the discussion:

For me, it isn't about a social construct. I do wear what I want regardless of marketed gender. However, there are times when a frag will feel, what I consider "too feminine" for me to wear. Some may say they prefer to think of things as too soft, or too floral, or too powdery, but all these apply to notes in all frags. IMHO there are times when the perfect storm of these qualities come together and create something that is best described by the word "feminine". It is not necessarily a bad thing, it simply doesn't suit the tastes of some.

Though, you are probably right in thinking that most are considering "too feminine to wear" to mean something people will laugh at you for. Whether or not someone is comfortable with that concept is their own challenge. I prefer my frags to complement me and not confuse people. If I want to smell like L'Aire Du Temps, I'll come home to do it, only because i think it would be incongruous to do it in public.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by karisuma View Post
    There are several reviews claiming it to be too feminine for men. Do you agree or disagree? I would like to hear your opinion either way.
    Too answer your question directly:

No, I do not think Cuir Amethyste is too feminine for men in general.

Post Thanks / Like

To each their own, and I understand that you mean 'feminine' as shorthand for characteristics of a fragrance (though I would point out that this is too broad a category as 'feminine' can mean dozens of things, not just soft and powdery). As a related matter, I would just forward the notion to the 'general public' that as long as you enjoy the fragrance, there is never an incongruity wearing whatever you want in public. I'm not saying there aren't situation-inappropriate fragrances, but that's true irrespective of gender.

Post Thanks / Like

Am I off-base? The drydown reminds me of Daim Blond
    Evenstar

Banned

Post Thanks / Like

Absolutely not karisuma. Its an excellent scent for both men and women alike.

Post Thanks / Like

That settles it. I'm wearing this puppy today. Maiden voyage...

I didn't perceive it as very feminine, but several friends did. It was sold the next day.

As much as I understand the 'f*ck it, I will wear what I want' mentality some preach here, I personally wear fragrance to smell good and represent how I feel about myself. When others perceived it as feminine, that was not what I was going for. Win some, lose some. My friends don't comment much about what I wear, so when they commented that it was feminine, that spoke volumes to me. Again, I think it smells unisex, but I don't live in a vacuum.

Post Thanks / Like

About an hour in on this one, and it sure does not feel fem to me. Not nearly like TFBO did.

So far, it's an easy wear.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm 2 hours into my first wearing also, ChuckW, and I have to agree, I don't find it to be what I consider feminine in the least. It might not matter, however. As I came downstairs from getting dressed this morning, my wife asked what I was wearing, she said she couldn't smell anything. I had applied what I thought was a heavy application (for me), 4 sprays. She said she liked what I had worn yesterday (Ambre Soie) much better, that it had better sillage. I reapplied, two additional sprays, a little over an hour ago, and again, I don't think anybody would notice that I am wearing anything. I like this a lot, but hourly reapplication is not something I even want to consider. Is your experience similar?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    Am I off-base? The drydown reminds me of Daim Blond
    I agree - the drydown does smell like Daim Blond! I prefer Daim Blond since I like the apricot-like scent to the violet scent in CA.
    Last edited by jade68; 25th March 2009 at 02:33 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

4 sprays for me, too. The sillage is light, but it is detectable. Very clean scent. It has a berry presence. In some ways, it is comparable in character to L'Artisan Mure et Musc Extreme.

Post Thanks / Like

It was monster sillage for me yesterday. I also could smell it many hours later.
    Evenstar

I have no problems wearing this scent....one of my Favorite all time fragrances.....Not too feminine for me.
    Gary