Code of Conduct

View Poll Results: What percent of your unwanted scents are you able to sell at an acceptable price?

Voters
47. You may not vote on this poll
  • Between 0% and 20%

12 25.53%
  • Between 20% and 40%

10 21.28%
  • Between 40% and 60%

5 10.64%
  • Between 60% and 80%

9 19.15%
  • Between 80% and 100%

11 23.40%

Default How successful are you at selling your unwanted fragrances?

You decide you no longer want a fragrance in your collection. Reason is immaterial. Perhaps you no longer like it; or it was a blind buy that was a mistake; or you need the money; or any other reason you can imagine. You try to sell it. How often do you find a customer willing to pay you an acceptable price? (For clarity, by acceptable price I mean one that is either your asking price or one that you agreed to without regret.)

Default Re: How successful are you at selling your unwanted fragrances?

I'm very successful. Mainly because I'm not greedy. Some of these people are so unrealistic about what they should get. Once you've used it, it's a USED product. Not new; don't expect a new item price. When I sell, 90% of the time it's at least a 30-40% discount off what I paid.

And stop ripping people off for shipping. There's not much reason for charging more than $5 or $6 for a single scent's shipping.

Now. That's off my chest.

Very bad. I've got a couple bottles of niche stuff at very fair price I think and they still lie unsold in the closet since months.

So far, I have sold 6 fragrances on eBay (3 Hermes, 2 Creed, 1 Lutens). All of them auctions. They all met expectations; one (the Lutens) actually exceeded expectations.

I expect that percentage will go down significantly when I reduce my collection in the coming weeks.

My estimate would be that on average people are able to sell a third to half of their stuff at acceptable prices.

I fare rather poorly. Shipping from DK to outside the EU is the killer. I heavily discount my scents and still manage to scare people off with a scanned 2009 rates sheet that I've obtained from the post office.

Generally I'm fairly successful. I think the key to it is not only offering fair prices, but also having things that people want to buy. Once you get down to the dregs of your wardrobe, those are pretty hard to get rid of... At that point you might as well give them away as freebies to someone who orders from you...

to this date, i've been fairly successful in selling blind buys that didn't work for me, exclusively on ebay. a nice looking photo of the bottle and box, coupled with an accurate listing description, genuinely help. another habit which lessens any losses is buying blind only when you find bargains.

I've given up on trading, I just give them away.

So far I've given away D&G Light Blue PH, Givenchy Very Irresistible Fresh Attitude, and Perry Ellis Portfolio, and Victoria Secret Very Sexy for Him.

They went to family members

I agree that if you're going to sell it on the Basenotes Marketplace you have to really be fair with your selling price. I usually lower my price if I don't get an initial reaction, but I always start out fair.
    Plus, if I've got something that is readily available online discounted, I don't waste my time posting it, I just give it away.
    You can not be in this hobby to make money or to try to break even; the math will prove otherwise. The pleasure has to be payed for.

The more difficult to find and more rare fragrances normally sell on the marketplace. The easy to find fragrances are really difficult to sell no matter how much I discount the price. I've sold 70, given away 15, and still trying to sell 20 on the marketplace in the past two years. Probably have an 70% sell rate.

I agree in the discount it if its used policy. I normally drop everything 30% off of retail if its used and more to offset the portion that is gone.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 24th March 2009 at 02:48 PM.

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

All the ones that I've sold have been mainstream - and I've sold them cheap, since I just wanted them out of my closet. I would have preferred to get more for them, but I'm glad their gone, even if I did get five or so dollars less for each.
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I'm very successful. Mainly because I'm not greedy. Some of these people are so unrealistic about what they should get. Once you've used it, it's a USED product. Not new; don't expect a new item price. When I sell, 90% of the time it's at least a 30-40% discount off what I paid....
    Good policy. I have seen some fragrances priced on the board is if they were rare bottles of wine, and I am not talking about hard-to-find fragrances. Putting the word "vintage" before the name of a perfume doesn't always justify a high price.
    Heard melodies are sweet, but those unheard are sweeter. (Keats)

I have the impression that sales from one European country to the next are really too costly (postage and customs handling. Also, the tax free (value) limits are ridiculously low (20-30€ only). If customs do get involved, the lump sum handling fee plus shipping can easily amount to € 25, or € 35 for two 100 ml bottles in this country. It's as if authorities want to stop you shipping anything abroad or using Ebay internationally. I never thought the global market would have such nasty effects for the little folks. I envy you guys in the US having to work around air shipping rules only.
    I am not kidding - Xmas and birthday gifts, sent abroad make little sense when fees plus shipping can easily cost the same as buying the merchandise (new even)!
    Last edited by narcus; 24th March 2009 at 05:30 PM.
    'Il mondo dei profumi un universo senza limiti: una fraganza puo rievocare sensazioni, luoghi, persone o ancora condurre in uno spazio di nuove dimensioni emozionali' L. V.

Only started selling mine on ebay last year, but I've sold the half dozen or so I have listed. All were 98 percent full with original box plus I threw in 3 free samples with each one I sold.
    I have a few more to sell but not sure how to go about it since my post office now has a big sign on the wall telling everyone you must have a license in order to mail fragrance.
    Guess I could lie but I am getting paranoid in my old age.

Quote Originally Posted by Treading View Post
    I have a few more to sell but not sure how to go about it since my post office now has a big sign on the wall telling everyone you must have a license in order to mail fragrance.
    Guess I could lie but I am getting paranoid in my old age.
    The post office has a big sign? For real?

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    The post office has a big sign? For real?
    Yes, for real. A few months ago a clerk told me anything flammable could be mailed but had to be sent ground. It could not go by air. The last time I tried to mail a package the same clerk checked with her supervisor and he said that you need a license in order to mail cologne or anything else flammable.
    They have a large sign on the wall telling you what cannot be mailed, and cologne is on the sign. I guess I could lie about anything liquid or flammable being in the package but with my luck I would get caught.

Thumbs up Re: How successful are you at selling your unwanted fragrances?

Quote Originally Posted by Treading View Post
    Yes, for real. A few months ago a clerk told me anything flammable could be mailed but had to be sent ground. It could not go by air. The last time I tried to mail a package the same clerk checked with her supervisor and he said that you need a license in order to mail cologne or anything else flammable.
    They have a large sign on the wall telling you what cannot be mailed, and cologne is on the sign. I guess I could lie about anything liquid or flammable being in the package but with my luck I would get caught.
    I had a similar problem. I found out that the guy I bought from liked Beef Jerkies. I sent those.

I thought I was ok until my "For Sale" thread became quickly yesterdays news and no one bothers to look that far. I have an almost full bottle of Knize Ten on there at a very reasonable price *hint hint*

narcus if we all join the EU those custom import problems would be solved( from one eu member to another). In iceland I found a way to argue around them for 9 out of 10 cases now.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Wow, I just had a horrible ebay selling experience,

a woman gave me a negative feedback without contacting me

she said that I ripped her off because I stated that the bottle was

90% full and when she got it she thought it was 80% full (she had pictures of the bottle before she bid on them)

I bought L' air du desert marocain and used maybe 5 or 6 sprays before deciding it wasn't something I could wear. I'm going to call FedEx and see if they have the same restrictions on mailing as the postal service. That is the next one I need to sell.

this is terrible!
    i have same expierence with a guy how started a claim to get his money back
    while my tracking info says that the package is already arrived. and paypal is blocking that abount of money on my acount. i dont belive this.

Quote Originally Posted by lightgreen22 View Post
    Wow, I just had a horrible ebay selling experience,

a woman gave me a negative feedback without contacting me

she said that I ripped her off because I stated that the bottle was

90% full and when she got it she thought it was 80% full (she had pictures of the bottle before she bid on them)

The results of this poll are both interesting and surprising to me. I was expecting something close to a bell curve (i.e., highest results in the middle, decreasing as the approaching the extremes). Instead the results are an inverted bell curve, with very little in the middle and the highest votes at extremes.

I am not sure what this means, but a couple of ideas: perhaps it reflects differing expectations of sellers as to pricing. Perhaps it also reflects different types of scents are easier to resell than others.

Quote Originally Posted by ChuckW View Post
    I'm very successful. Mainly because I'm not greedy. Some of these people are so unrealistic about what they should get. Once you've used it, it's a USED product. Not new; don't expect a new item price. When I sell, 90% of the time it's at least a 30-40% discount off what I paid.

And stop ripping people off for shipping. There's not much reason for charging more than $5 or $6 for a single scent's shipping.

Now. That's off my chest.
    I hear ya! It makes me mad when ppl overcharge for shipping, but to be honest I may have to up my shipping charges, bc whenever I ship a bottle weighing 3.3 0z., the total weight of the package is usually 1.2 lbs and anything over 1 pound costs $7.80 to ship. I am not sure if the rates went up or what but all I know is I have been losing out on shipping on 3.3 oz bottles bc I always pay $7.80 and charge $5.00. This is not a huge deal but if you times this by 20-30 transactions then that is about a pretty nice bottle on the BN sales board. GRrrrrrrrr!
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 26th March 2009 at 01:11 AM.

Not very. I figured Davidoff Relax or about 5 other well known/liked fragrances would be gone by now. I'm just going to e-bay the rest in a couple days. Most of the stuff listed is around 50% off from the stores - so I don't know! I really wanted some trades too haha
    Last edited by Regis Philbin; 26th March 2009 at 01:16 AM.
    I have: Davidoff Relax, Dior Homme Sport, Boss Selection, Azzaro Visit, and Creed MI (will provide # on bottle for verification) available.

Looking for the following: DG The One, Himalaya, YSL L'Homme, John Varvatos (not vintage) Canali For Men or Paypal.