Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Avant Garde by M. Micallef

I'm wearing this for the 1st time tonight (thanks NeoTY26) and I just can't figure out WHAT I am smelling. What is this stuff?

I smell cereal, a whiff of plastic cellophane wrapping and an iris note that smells like the flower has been microwaved (wilted?).

WTF!?

Default Re: Avant Garde by M. Micallef

So, given that you like lines like CdG and CB I Hate Perfume - is that a good thing?

Basenotes Institution

I am still trying to process it, to be able to say whether or not I like it. First impression: confused. This can go either way (love/indifference/hate).

I'm usually one for offbeat and modern fragrances, and I thought Avante Garde was terrible... even though the notes don't support it, it felt like a super-strong aquatic with some bitter notes mixed in. I only sampled it once, though.

Funny that you mention cereal as I am reminded of Cocoa Puffs when I wear it.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

I smell grapefruit, leather, chocolate, and ozone. Almost like a niche/chocolate version of Nina Ricci Mémoire d'Homme. It's an odd scent but I like it.

Basenotes Institution

Oh - ozone / aquatic...I can see that now. How did I miss that?

The cereal note I mentioned did remind me of Cocoa Puffs per se, but now that you mention in thenmarcher I can see what you mean. I always thought Musc Maori by Parfumerie Generale smelled like Cocoa Puffs.

So no one smells the 'dead' iris note?

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    I smell grapefruit, leather, chocolate, and ozone.
    Lol. Spot on, thats basically what I get too. It's very very odd, because I get essentually a chocolate aquatic. As weird as that sounds, it ends up smelling familiar somehow. And as odd as it was, I was sort of indifferent to it.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Posted (in February) on disappointing experience with Avant Garde http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=211691. I was so underwhelmed. After the above post i actually went back for another sampling. Same result.

There is no question about the quality of the ingredients used in AG. However, there must be something in the blend that puts the notes to sleep. One detects the cocoa beans, tobacco and other notes, but way way watered down.

I suspect it is the cocoa and citrus coming across, in a gourmandy way, like Cocoa Puffs, or even like a stale orris root drydown observed by mp23.

Great house, iffy scent.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Basenotes Institution

Is M. Micaleff the nose for all of his scents? I know nothing about the background of the line, the name, etc...?

I imagine a stoned out perfumer, having a half of grapefruit and a bowl of Cocoa Puffs...sitting outdoors next to a large outdoor pool with the leather pants still on from the wild night before.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Is M. Micaleff the nose for all of his scents? I know nothing about the background of the line, the name, etc...?

I imagine a stoned out perfumer, having a half of grapefruit and a bowl of Cocoa Puffs...sitting outdoors next to a large outdoor pool with the leather pants still on from the wild night before.
    I don't know too much about the history of the line, but to clarify the M. Micallef in question, is actually a woman, Martine Micallef. I believe, although I could be WAY off, that her and her husband started the line. I believe her husband is the artist, why the bottles look so good, and she is the perfumer.

**Again I could be off, so someone more knowledgeable please clarify.

Edit: It was the other way around, she has the history with artwork, and her husband is the perfumer. Here is a link for anyone interested:
    http://www.mmicallef.com/pages/en/po...rtrait_en.html
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 25th March 2009 at 03:23 PM.

There are quite a few fragrances offered on their website that aren't offered at LS or even TPC. I just emailed them inquiring about a possible sample service, I made sure to let them know about Basenotes and how many of us are interested in exploring their line further but we are unable to sample them because they aren't all offered at the various stocklists. I also threw in a question about whether or not they ever planned on opening a boutique in the US.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks mtgprox05 - I had no idea that the company was so small and family based. Neat.

The bottles really are quite beautiful and distinctive. I'm working my way thru the line slowly...the last thing I need to do is fall in love with another luxury priced niche scent.

My bottle came with a little leaflet/catalog that had some interesting photos. In it, it showed Martine hand painting the bottles, which seemed painstaking (not to say she does them all). I imagine that is partially the reason for the cost.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)