Code of Conduct

Default Has Hermès remarketed some old men's classics?

I was at my local Douglas yesterday and I saw three old Hermès frags up for sale:

Rocabar
    Bel Ami
    Equipage

I'm fairly certain I've never seen them there before and it's the kind of store to only sell new stuff, not bring old classics back.

I tried all of them on paper strips and then field tested Equipage. I liked it although it was a bit too much pine for me (I already own Polo for that ).

Anyway, seems Hermès has decided to bring these old classics back to The Netherlands?
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Default Re: Has Hermès remarketed some old men's classics?

Merlino,

On their American website, Hermès is now offering leather case atomizers for Equipage and for Bel Ami along with the corresponding 2.5 oz refill spray. Rocabar is also available but has less items in the line than the other two.

Hermès Leather Case Atomizer and Bel Ami 2.5 oz Refill Spray

These two items are recent introductions, so I think your question, at least in the case of the their web presence, can be answered in the affirmative. It does, indeed, seem like Hermès is recommitting itself to its men's classic line at a time when other companies are abandoning their men's classics or at least reformulating them in the direction of irrelevance.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 11th June 2009 at 01:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Merlino View Post
    I was at my local Douglas yesterday and I saw three old Hermès frags up for sale:

Rocabar
    Bel Ami
    Equipage

I'm fairly certain I've never seen them there before and it's the kind of store to only sell new stuff, not bring old classics back.

I tried all of them on paper strips and then field tested Equipage. I liked it although it was a bit too much pine for me (I already own Polo for that ).

Anyway, seems Hermès has decided to bring these old classics back to The Netherlands?
    Douglas seems to be trying to pimp their class appeal - certain stores carry extensive Guerlain products, Armani Privé, Serge Lutens, the DK Essence line and other upscale products you would not expect there. I've certainly seen (and tried) Equipage, Rocabar and Bel Ami in their shops over a year ago, though I can't vouch for further back in time.
    Seems to be the change lies with Douglas rather than with Hermès.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Or with Douglas Groningen, V_A

Scentemental: thanks for the info, it's nice to see a company steer in the other (right) direction for a change. BTW "reformulating them in the direction of irrelevance" is priceless
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

Or with Douglas Groningen, V_A

Scentemental: thanks for the info, it's nice to see a company steer in the other (right) direction for a change. BTW "reformulating them in the direction of irrelevance" is priceless
    You're welcome Merlino, and I am happy you like my turn of phrase.
    Last edited by scentemental; 11th June 2009 at 01:40 PM.

All three of those have always been on the shelves here?

I like the turn of phrase too. Hermes, thank goodness, has not reformulated these marvels to irrelevance. I'm probably not the best nose in the world, but I've been wearing Equipage for about 10 years, and have noticed no change in formulation - it's still outstanding. Bel Ami, however, has clearly been reformulated, but I think for the better. The early version was simply too spicy for my tastes, wheras the new one smells more woody and leathery to me - I love it. As for Rocabar, I wish they would reformulate just a little it so that it doesn't go sour after the top notes fade. Maybe it's just my own skin, but it always smells sour after wearing it for about 20 minutes. It's still a good frag though.
    Check out my blog Pour Monsieur, a no-nonsense guide to men's fragrances:
    http://pourmonsieurblog.blogspot.com/

Any fragrance that should not be worn in public, should be worn in public.

Sorry for the slight derail, but I have to vent here....

I WISH I got pine from Equipage…instead I get cold medicinal vanilla pipe tobacco with a hint of a harsh carnation note. I have the current version.

I’m an old school fragrance lover all the way, and can usually find something interesting and likeable in most of the classics, but Equipage is one of the most boring and least charming fragrances I’ve ever come across, I find absolutely nothing attractive about it.

I refuse to believe this current version that I have could be anything close to the original…I just can’t believe it would be the classic that it is today if this were true.
    “I wanna say something. I’m gonna put it out there. If you like it, you can take it, if you don’t, send it right back…."

I appreciate Equipage, but it doesn't work on me. It's one of those uber-sophisticated potions that smell best on polo players and Barons.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post

Merlino,

On their American website, Hermès is now offering leather case atomizers for Equipage and for Bel Ami along with the corresponding 2.5 oz refill spray. Rocabar is also available but has less items in the line than the other two.

Hermès Leather Case Atomizer and Bel Ami 2.5 oz Refill Spray

These two items are recent introductions, so I think your question, at least in the case of the their web presence, can be answered in the affirmative. It does, indeed, seem like Hermès is recommitting itself to its men's classic line at a time when other companies are abandoning their men's classics or at least reformulating them in the direction of irrelevance.

scentemental

Scentemental,

Hermes has actually been offering leather case atomizers and 2.5 oz refill sprays for several years. I was given a leather case with pre-reformulation Bel Ami in early 1998, and acquired a leather case atomizer of Equipage in 1999. Hermes may have stopped offering them for a while, and the cases now offered are a new design, so the firm may indeed be committing itself again to its classics. BTW, the old cases were much more handsome, tan leather with either silver or gold medal trim. From what I could tell, they were the same bottles that Hermes made for Creed for a period of time, though I believe the ones made for Creed were available in several different colors of leather.

Quote Originally Posted by shamu1 View Post
    I like the turn of phrase too. Hermes, thank goodness, has not reformulated these marvels to irrelevance. I'm probably not the best nose in the world, but I've been wearing Equipage for about 10 years, and have noticed no change in formulation - it's still outstanding. Bel Ami, however, has clearly been reformulated, but I think for the better. The early version was simply too spicy for my tastes, wheras the new one smells more woody and leathery to me - I love it. As for Rocabar, I wish they would reformulate just a little it so that it doesn't go sour after the top notes fade. Maybe it's just my own skin, but it always smells sour after wearing it for about 20 minutes. It's still a good frag though.
    Shamu1:

I completely agree that Equipage is still very good and I definitely enjoy wearing it. I also agree that Rocabar is a bit light and if they could amplify it a bit, that would definitely be to my preference.

However, your comment about Bel Ami is exactly the opposite with how it wears on my skin. The reformulated to me is spicy and nice, and that is about it. I scored a bottle for for $35 USD shipped, and quite frankly, that is about all it is worth to me. However, the vintage Bel Ami wears on my skin with much more longevity and a nice light leather in the dry down. I really think the vintage Bel Ami is golden and the reformulated Bel Ami is basically just OK.

Our different perceptions on Bel Ami could just come down to skin chemistry differences.

Best,

TJ

Quote Originally Posted by levente View Post
    Scentemental,

Hermes has actually been offering leather case atomizers and 2.5 oz refill sprays for several years. I was given a leather case with pre-reformulation Bel Ami in early 1998, and acquired a leather case atomizer of Equipage in 1999. Hermes may have stopped offering them for a while, and the cases now offered are a new design, so the firm may indeed be committing itself again to its classics. BTW, the old cases were much more handsome, tan leather with either silver or gold medal trim. From what I could tell, they were the same bottles that Hermes made for Creed for a period of time, though I believe the ones made for Creed were available in several different colors of leather.
    Thanks levente for confirming what I suspected. I have a number of the vintage leather case refillable atomizers. I thought they looked like Creed leather case atomizers. Thanks for information. I didn't know Hermès made them for Creed. Yes, indeed, the older design leather case atomizer is a thing of beauty. Here are some photos:

I had some of these on sale (with the vintage refill) for about the price of the current non vintage refill, until I realized how silly that was and that I should really keep them for myself.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 19th June 2009 at 05:05 PM.

The Douglas in my town - the one with the Lutens, Etro, and Aqua di Parma - also has Equipage up for sale. Hopefully Douglas will try to steer themselves into the less mainstream direction, differentiating themselves. Not sure if it leads to profits for them, though.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Basenotes Institution

I have yet to do a comprehensive side-by-side test with old Bel Ami and Equipage and new ones. Hopefully one of these days, I'll get around to it.

Nonetheless, even if I find out that the new is just as good as the old, I'm not quite sure if these scents work for me.

We'll see.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Scentemental,

The old atomizers are indeed beautiful, much more handsome IMO than the current pieces. Thanks for posting the pictures for others to appreciate them. I purchased a few back up bottles of vintage Bel Ami in the 2.5 fl oz when it became apparent that Hermes had reformulated it. I am a big fan of the original Bel Ami as well as Equipage, which if it has been reformulated still seems to hold up well. My bottles of Equipage are vintage, but my father wears the scent, too, and from sampling his more recent bottles, Hermes seems to have stayed true to the original composition.

Douglas didnt sell bel hermes befor at all.
    they started selling about one year a go, tht was afterthe sucses of terre de hermes in 2006.

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    The Douglas in my town - the one with the Lutens, Etro, and Aqua di Parma -
    Wait WUT? In Tilburg? How did that happen? They don't even carry Etro in their PC Hooft flagship store.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Smile Re: Has Hermès remarketed some old men's classics?

Babe, you can visit me anytime and we'll have a blast at the Douglas here...

... but 'here' isn't Tilburg.

Red face Re: Has Hermès remarketed some old men's classics?

And you have sent me a package with the right address 3 days ago

I'm hoping I can one day find a good deal on a Equipage or Bel-Ami Maybe I'll come by a good deal for a swap or someone here will be selling them for a good deal haha ;0 .