Code of Conduct

Default After Shave Balm or Lotion

I'm contemplating whether to go for an after shave balm or lotion...i have acne prone skin and i want something that doesn't make my face shine after i apply it.

Advise pls guys...

Default Re: After Shave Balm or Lotion

I've used balm for many years. I have sensitive skin, a coarse beard, and was prone to ingrown hairs. Balm is soothing. I get an unscented balm (e.g., Nivea, Adidas) and then I can wear any scent I choose. Balm moisturizes whereas aftershave dries. Moist skin retains scent better.
    Last edited by odysseusm; 25th March 2009 at 10:44 AM.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Sur la Plage

Aftershave Balm - either unscented or one that matches your SOTD.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 25th March 2009 at 02:50 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

JoNnY4,

I'll make a slightly different suggestion.

Use one of the L'Oreal Paris Men Expert products - either the Pure and Matte Anti-Grease Moisturising Gel; or the Hydra Energetic Anti-Fatigue Daily Moisturising Lotion.

Neither of these will make your face shine; and shouldn't irritate your acne-prone skin.

They'll do a soothing job post-shave, and help your skin in a way that neither balm nor lotion will.

I've been meaning to ask the same question.

I was standing in the store trying to decide between an After Shave Gel and an After Shave Balm.

The biggest difference is that the Gel contains alcohol and menthol, whereas the Balm doesn't. Both contain allantoin btw, that has wound-healing properties on the skin.

I just wonder which one is best.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Any serious aftershave balm or lotion should contain aloe vera.
    -

Back when I had bad acne I used Jack Black After Shave soother. It's a clear gel and doesn't clog pores. ANY balm has a chance of clogging pores. Non comedogenic is a myth even air is comedogenic. If Nivea works for you it's cheap and easy to find but it made me break out as did many balms. Kiehls Blue afterhave is also great since it fights acne. Anthony Logistics also has a splash that's for ance prone skin. There are a lot of aftershaves for those with acne on the market now even at a standard drugstore you can find Clearasil, Neutrogena, and Oxy acne aftershaves.

Cheers,
    Ali

Target carries Every Man Jack fragrance-free face lotion with sacylic acid to prevent acne. I also like the line's aftershave clear cooling gel.

Quote Originally Posted by anak View Post
    Back when I had bad acne I used Jack Black After Shave soother. It's a clear gel and doesn't clog pores.
    Why wouldn't a gel clog pores? Afaik it's just a sort of petroleum jelly. Clogs pores as well.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

I would also suggest looking at a Toner prior to a ASB. It will help your pH levels return to normalcy, and will close pores reducing the chance for them to get clogged. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    Why wouldn't a gel clog pores? Afaik it's just a sort of petroleum jelly. Clogs pores as well.
    Not the Jack Black it's chemically different than PJ or mineral oil for that matter. Very different..

Cheers,
    Al

Quote Originally Posted by Stereotomy View Post
    Not the Jack Black it's chemically different than PJ or mineral oil for that matter. Very different.

And more importantly it worked for me where every other balm made me break out this one did not.

Cheers,
    Al

As far as taking care of your skin, the hands-down best aftershave I've ever tried is...

Aqua Velva.

The only drawback (if you consider it a drawback) is the scent.

Another option: start with Weleda's after-shave (smells funky, but the smell burns off in a minute or so, and the stuffs kills razor-burn DEAD.) Then follow up with a moisturizing aftershave. One of the best is Art of Shaving's aftershave balm. stick with unscented if you want to be able to put a cologne on after.
    - E.J.

Different stuff works for different people. I use after shave balm, because the lotion is not good for me. One of my friends uses lotion because balm does not works for him. The balms that I use are Zirh and Nivea, I am pretty sure that both of them have aloe in it. They look, feel and smell pretty much the same, Nivea is much cheaper, both work for me.

Dependent

Well balms are usually oil based and lotions water based. for that matter, if u have dry course skin then balm, if u want to avoid shine due to oilier skin, then water based otions. use soemthing unscented if u worry for acne. I usuallly suggest m lotion from clinique, its the only moisturiser i would use. unscented, light, doesnt linger with stickiness.

Guys >> Aloe Vera Gel ..... yes gaia's gift .
    try it once & you won't need conditioner , wet hair , moisturiser , after shave balm or any other unscented extra again !

I use actually both, in almost equal proportions, but I mainly use lotion lately and it's quite suitable for my mixed to oily skin.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken_Russell View Post
    I use actually both, in almost equal proportions, but I mainly use lotion lately and it's quite suitable for my mixed to oily skin.
    My husband uses the Burt's Bees aftershave lotion in a tube and Truefitt & Hill's 1805 lotion in the dispenser, but also the L'Occitane Baux and original L'Occitane (lavender) balm in the tube.

It's a matter of preference. I think it depends on the weather and the skin.
    Last edited by Primrose; 30th October 2009 at 04:51 PM.
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

I use both at once, first the lotion to close the pores and stop any bleeding, then the balm to re-moisturize my face. This is an excellent way to layer along with the special deodorant.

I started using Tolsom SPF 15 lotion & soothing Gel. These products works great. My skin no longer feels irritated. It feels smooth and healthy; even wife noticed. I got it from www.parvoss.com. They are offering discounted price, just create username and password. Log back in after about an hour or so and will see the discounted price.

direct link to Tolsom products:
    http://www.amway.com/ParVOSS/Shop/Pr...v=N:4294966724
    Last edited by mbarn; 6th July 2011 at 03:58 PM.

I used to use balm, but find that an aftershave splash is best for my skin. I like Tabac Original.

Best for my skin is Balm, much smoother shave for me and better for keeping moisture in too.

Yes, balm all the way.
    For those who find some products bring them out in spots, I'd *highly* recommend Clinique's post-shave soother anti-blemish formula. I've primarily used this for the past year and swear by it. Dermalogica post-shave balm also has sebum regulating properties and works well (though is quite heavily scented).

I use a great product that helps a little with acne, razor burn and most important of all razor bumps, since I've been using it no more razor bumps or burn (thank God) its called Tend Skin http://www.sephora.com/browse/brand_...Id=Tend%20Skin click the link so you can see the product and over 800 reviews

Definitely balm.

Acne prone skin - avoid thick AS Balms !

Use an alcohol free thin balm I.e. Clinique Post Shave or Proraso AS liquid.

You could also use a thin AS balm/lotion with SLIGHTS amounts of alcohol since you have acne prone skin - I.e. Mühle/Edwin Jagger AloeVera Mint or Sandalwood AS Lotion.

Follow up with a thin gel moisturiser like Clinique M Gel lotion or Lancome FM Hydrix Gel face lotion.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking
    GR8 Hitz: Kouros, Egoiste & Fahrenheit

Nivea Balsam Sensitive is probably best after shave on the market.

Right now I think that I have all the fragrances that I want.

Aftershave can really make a big difference in your shaving experience...According to me Choose Purifying Toner.
    Low-alcohol to refresh and invigorate without irritation.
    Fast-drying.
    Helps control oily shine.