Code of Conduct

Default Yohji - Convince me - either way

So, I know that Yohji Homme is discontinued. But I read what Luca had to say, along with some other reviews - and then I made the darn mistake of getting a sample from TPC.

And wouldn't you know, I love the stuff. But do I really need to obsess over trying to find this somewhere - 'cuz it's THAT good - or does someone here want to talk me off the ledge?

Default Re: Yohji - Convince me - either way

I did the exact same thing you did, I saw the review, got a TPC sample and then had to have a bottle. It's damn good - a cologne/gourmand. I'm really glad I got a bottle. If you're patient on eBay you can find bottles for about $70-80. I waited about 2 months and finally a bottle popped up for $60.

Yeah, thanks bbBD. Good god, man, when does the madness stop?! : )

It doesn't.... there's always a dozen things that need to be purchased right now

I sold my bottle. In the shop I liked it, but when I began to use it regularly, soon turned it out that it simply turns up my stomach. There is somthing in it which I obviously can't stand. And I find Guerlain Homme similar to an extent to it, so I don't like that one, either.

I sampled it at least 3 times, and there really wasn't anything special about it. I then swapped it off for something I actually.

Off-Scenter

I wasn't all that impressed - you can read my review in the Basenotes Directory. Lolita Lempicka au Masculin actually does something similar, though perhaps not quite as well.

PM me if you'd like a modest-sized decant. I have one lying around that I've been meaning to get rid of...

Another reason to pick up a bottle sooner rather than later: Discontinued fragrances seem to go through three stages of availability. First, items are discontinued and still available at discount sites. Once they sell out at those sites, there is a period of availability via eBay, though at above-retail prices. Finally, once those eBay sellers run out of stock, you're into the 'occasional bottle here and there' phase, which is when bottles cost the most. Yohji Homme is in the second stage right now - good eBay availability but it's not on discount sites anymore.

I spritzed my arm during lunch to remind myself of YH.... I happen to like licorice notes, and this uses it very, very well - better than any other IMO. Even Hermes Brin de Reglisse isn't as good. It has hints of gourmand/roasted notes, but it doesn't become a full-blown gourmand like Lolita Lempika au Masculin and instead remains light and transparent, but with a licorice bite. I recently bought Caron Eau de Reglisse, which is very good and takes the licorice cologne theme but adds lemon and coffee notes. It's very good but not as clean as Yohji.

I did try Yohji 7 years ago at a high end trendy clothing shop ( at least it tried to be one). I did like it, as I loved the dry down. The anise is very good. Too bad it is discontinued, although I may give a try to other gourmands.

Basenotes Institution

I didn't like it at all. I bought a bottle blind years ago and sold it quickly thereafter.

I really like it...gets LOTS of compliments as well.
    I have stocked up over the past year....I think I have enough for years to come.
    (HOPEFULLY)

It's great stuff, but you can get the equally impressive Body Kouros and LL Homme, which are both very similar, easily and cheaply on-line.
    FYI: Yohji Homme is available on Beautyencounter.com for $70 as a gift set.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 26th March 2009 at 01:10 AM.

If you need convincing, its not worth the trouble.

Consider Etro's Anice too, if you like the Anise/Licorice kind of frags.

I thought it was good, though not exceptional, but it had very poor lasting power on me.
    I regretted having bought it.
    Renato
    Last edited by Renato; 26th March 2009 at 08:13 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    I thought it was good, though not exceptional, but it had very poor lasting power on me.
    I regretted having bought it.
    Renato
    Lolita Lempicka Homme's lasting power is abysmal, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    Lolita Lempicka Homme's lasting power is abysmal, too.
    Curiously, I tested Lempicka when it first came out, and didn't think much of its longevity either.
    But I retested it later, and got a better result. The bottle of it that I bought has excellent lasting power.
    I never quite figured out what was up with this scent.
    Renato

Quote Originally Posted by Renato View Post
    Curiously, I tested Lempicka when it first came out, and didn't think much of its longevity either.
    But I retested it later, and got a better result. The bottle of it that I bought has excellent lasting power.
    I never quite figured out what was up with this scent.
    Renato
    I have a sample from Sephora Paris, which I assume to be fresh. I'll try it from a different tester again as I would buy it in a second if it lasted longer, the stuff is pure heaven to me.