Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Exclamation L'Artisan Parfumeur - Breaking News

I just received a call from a L'Artisan representative in New York (I am in Chicago area), who tells me that L"Artisan has just shuttered all L'Artisan boutiques in the US.

I told her that I just bought a bottle of Timbuktu at my local Neiman Marcus, and she said that once stock is depleted there, not likely they will be resupplied. She said the only place in the USA that will have a L'Artisan "in store boutique" is Henri Bendel in New York.

I forgot to ask about Aedes or Luckyscent. I guess for those of us who buy by phone or online, it's not a huge deal, but the boutique in Chicago was nice, and the ladies there were always giving samples, friendly chat, etc.

Anyway, the lady cited "economic downturn" as the reason.

Blog Entries

Default Re: L'Artisan Parfumeur - Breaking News

Sad news indeed, but with the economy being what it is right now I don't think it was necessarily a surprise. Still a bummer though.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

But other postings (in fragrance industry discussion) have said that fragrance sales are UP in spite of the economy.

Blog Entries

I'm not sure if that applies to a niche house like L'Artisan as readily as designer labels.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Sad to see this house go.

Ugh. Even though i wasn't that big of a fan of the house, I was a fan of the boutique in Chicago. Sad to see it go so soon.

I guess that I should keep my Ananas Fizz now...
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    But other postings (in fragrance industry discussion) have said that fragrance sales are UP in spite of the economy.

They may have overextended themselves with stand-alone boutiques.

That's a real bummer.

It gets me thinking, though - did anyone else get their holiday catalog? It must have cost a fortune to produce with various textures, effects, expensive stock, etc. I must have received four or five of them. Such a waste of cash for a company that was struggling.

So does this mean its time to stock up then ????

That is CRAZY breaking news. Thanks for the update. It speaks volumes and makes me sick to my stomach...I thought L'Artisan was up towards (if not inside) the "luxury bubble"...so what does that say about said bubble? how depressing.

Crap, I really wish I had the resources to buy a bottle of L'eau de Navigateur, now. !

Its more than likely they will rely on their online commerce instead. They may be gone from bricks and mortar outlets, but the net is still a force to be reckoned with.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    That's a real bummer.

It gets me thinking, though - did anyone else get their holiday catalog? It must have cost a fortune to produce with various textures, effects, expensive stock, etc. I must have received four or five of them. Such a waste of cash for a company that was struggling.
    Yes, I received one from the NYC boutique, and the printing was very high quality and most likely costly. At least they're dedicated!

are you sure? they are the number one niche in america....so their website claims.....i ordered samples this weekend and they havent come yet...uh oh!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

Sur la Plage

I just called the Chicago boutique (where I have shopped many times - great store and staff). It automatically transferred me to the boutique in the New York Henri Bendel store (I spoke to Catherine). Apparently this is the only boutique that is and will be open. All of the others have closed within the past several weeks. You can call this boutique and order directly from them, if you want to.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 25th March 2009 at 08:27 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

i better pull my back up mure et musc extreme out of the marketplace and keep it for back up!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!

I'm in the same boat as you. I was wondering why my samples were taking so long since the last time I ordered from them they arrived quickly. Guess I'm going to have to contact them to see whether the online store will be taken down as well...

Quote Originally Posted by dredmahawkus View Post
    are you sure? they are the number one niche in america....so their website claims.....i ordered samples this weekend and they havent come yet...uh oh!
    "Health food may be good for the conscience but Oreos taste a hell of a lot better" - Robert Redford

Oh absolutely.. the embossed wrapping paper, catalogs, shopping bags would be a tremendous cost for them. They were also extremely generous with their samples when I made a purchase.

The boutique in Chicago at Watertower Place (I think?) was kind enough to send me samples from the US to Canada using FedEx Overnight!

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    That's a real bummer.

Very sad to hear this. I was planning to stop at the Chicago store with another Basenoter soon!
    Last edited by tang; 25th March 2009 at 08:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Minou2 View Post
    They may have overextended themselves with stand-alone boutiques.
    It's sad but I agree.

Just tried phoning the Chicago boutique and sure enough, the phone was answered in New York - at the Henri Bendel store. I am very sad about this...

The associate who answered was 'Catherine', who informed me that even though L'Artisan is now exclusively sold at HB in NY, telephone orders will not be charged sales tax when shipped to a state other than NY. I guess we have to find SOME consolation.

According to Catherine, the phone number to order L'Artisan direct is now (212) 904-7910 (hopefully this info. is okay to display here)

Just because their boutiques are closed doesn't mean their stock will be evacuated from every storefront. There's a place here in Washington DC that stocks L'Artisan (Bluemercury) and I assume will continue to do so.

It sounds like they're going to remain open for online/phone orders and what not too, so there's no reason to go hoarding things you were planning on selling.

If nothing else I'm sure they'll still be open in Europe, so at the very worst they'd be about as difficult to buy from as, oh, say, Montale.

I wonder if it will be the same in France here... if so, I am going tomorrow to get that bottle of Voleur de Roses!

That is a total bummer. I'm going to be in DC in a couple weeks and will definitely take the chance to buy a bottle or two at Blue Mercury for the in-store experience. I think it will be a smart move in the long run though. It seems like they've almost become the 'easy to stock' niche in that even random hair salons carry the whole range and sometimes discount them.

IMO, they expanded too rapidly with the numerous boutiques and all being over-kill. I think it's a good move that they are moving more towards reliance on e-tailing. Personally, these days, I think a minimal number of boutiques or even a 'click-only' presence may be just about enough. (e.g. Click-only: Parfums MDCI)

After all -- regardless of suave high-budget marketing, in the end, it's the actual scents themselves that matter the most, right?
    Last edited by moltening; 25th March 2009 at 09:19 PM.

I just called Bluemercury, and they knew nothing of it.

If they ARE actually going out of business, I will indeed need a couple of backups of Tea for Two.
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I think their basic problem is that not enough of their fragrances have a sufficiently broad appeal - unlike, in my opinion, Penhaligon's who are continuing to explore new product lines with new and exciting products.

Out of the entire L'Artisan range I maybe like two and even then not enough to make me go FB on them. Dzonka, or however the hell it's spelled I like most along with Voleur de Roses, but there are other frags out there way ahead in the queue before those.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by Scentronic View Post
    I just called Bluemercury, and they knew nothing of it.

If they ARE actually going out of business, I will indeed need a couple of backups of Tea for Two.
    Whoever said they're going out of business?

It sounds like all they're doing is closing their BOUTIQUES in the UNITED STATES. If their retail partners (such as Blue Mercury) have no news then most likely L'Artisan is not pulling ALL their products.

Just keep your cool people until we get all the facts.

I guess this could be why I immediately got a mailer-daemon error notice today when I emailed their customer service about my order that has been sitting as "processing" for over a week.

Blog Entries

If they plan on staying in business, there's no way they can without still selling to Barneys, Neimans, etc. That's where they make their money.

I'm with DocManCC.

Common sense (though not often a good guage) would say that they're closing their self-owned stores (with the huge expenses of rent, employees, etc) while continuing to sell their product to other reatil stores.

Unless they're so strapped that they can't afford the basics needed to run a business (empty bottles, shipping cartons, paper for the fax machine) and they can't even fill orders, they'd be crazy to refuse money by no longer selling to their wholesale customers.

Anyway, time will tell....

Fox Paine & Company, a private equity firm based in San Francisco, controls L'Artisan Parfumeur. I suspect they must have taken some big hits in the current economic climate and would want to scale back their burdgeoning efforts to spread the L'Artisan name.
    -

It is sad.
    I think that the Henri Bendel boutique, with it's dedicated SAs, is now the official shop-in-shop and official US L'Artisan Boutique. I'm quite sure they will continue with Barneys, NM, Aedes, etc. who only have product, not boutiques.
    I was always astounded that they opened so many US stores in very high rent areas. The ones in NYC were always super friendly and cool, but always super empty of customers.
    I hope the restructuring of their US business makes them stronger.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

It makes sense for L'Artisan to continue supplying sellers. No crushing overhead as with their own outlets.
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Zoinks! L'Artisan is a sister company of Penhaligon's. In fact, I thought they were the parent company. I know Pen's is cutting back in the states but I hope they don't pack up and leave.
    Support your local Leonberger rescue.

I got an Ambre Extreme on eBay for $35 (there's still one left!)... oh wait, this isn't the 'Today I bought' thread??

lol

i havent ordered any l'artisan samples in like 2 months....i picked a great week to do so! that about fits into the rest of my luck this week!

my stuff for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by argogos View Post
    Zoinks! L'Artisan is a sister company of Penhaligon's. In fact, I thought they were the parent company. I know Pen's is cutting back in the states but I hope they don't pack up and leave.
    Penhaligon's are exploring new product areas and have some 5 or 6 releases planned this year. They seem to be doing well at the moment, despite the recession.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I think their basic problem is that not enough of their fragrances have a sufficiently broad appeal - unlike, in my opinion, Penhaligon's who are continuing to explore new product lines with new and exciting products.

Out of the entire L'Artisan range I maybe like two and even then not enough to make me go FB on them. Dzonka, or however the hell it's spelled I like most along with Voleur de Roses, but there are other frags out there way ahead in the queue before those.
    I share your viewpoint. Dzing and Dzongka are quite nice but really hard to wear which prevents me from getting a bottle. Penhaligon's is much more wearable and like you said, comes out with really good frags. L'Artisan have made some serious missteps with their recent frags.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

I ordered samples abd bought a sachet almost two weeks ago and have not received them.
    Sad news indeed.
    Evenstar

If all they're doing is closing a few exclusive boutiques, as unfortunate as that must be for local shoppers, I will be relieved if its not going to seriously affect global availability. For a minute, I was hyperventilating there!
    Last edited by Delmar; 29th March 2009 at 01:34 PM.

they got caught in the crossfire, that is expanding. Not really a small niche company not really a large designer company, the worse scenario. I suspect many other will follow.
    The luxury market, despite what some are saying, is taking a big blow, watches, jewelery, cars, planes, boats, clothing, etc etc .....this is the tip of the iceberg, worse yet to come. trust me on this.
    The only thing that interferes with my learning is my education.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

An SA at Neiman's in San Francisco told me yesterday that once they sell their stock of L'Artisan, they won't be getting any more. It sounds like exisitng stock only, and there was only one bottle of Timbuktu on the shelf.
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

I ordered samples last saturday....they had no problem taking my money! this is odd. Has anyone who ordered anything in the last week or 2 , and had not recieve anything yet, call them and ask for an explanation? i mean i dont really care about $7 samples.....I just saw they had samples of their $300 exclusives up there so I ordered samples of them to try them.....anyone order a bottle from them? maybe its time to stock up a little! good thing i have 2 bottles of mure et musc extreme!

my stuff for sale!

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    An SA at Neiman's in San Francisco told me yesterday that once they sell their stock of L'Artisan, they won't be getting any more. It sounds like exisitng stock only, and there was only one bottle of Timbuktu on the shelf.

(weep)

I ordered samples last saturday....they had no problem taking my money! this is odd. Has anyone who ordered anything in the last week or 2 , and had not recieve anything yet, call them and ask for an explanation? i mean i dont really care about $7 samples.....I just saw they had samples of their $300 exclusives up there so I ordered samples of them to try them.....anyone order a bottle from them? maybe its time to stock up a little! good thing i have 2 bottles of mure et musc extreme!
    I ordered samples about two weeks ago and haven't received them yet. I did call, and I talked to someone (at Henri Bendel, I assume) who said they were pretty backlogged because of the changes but that they were sure mine had been sent. On the website my order was listed as "processing" and they claimed that meant they had been sent. I'm not sure I believe that, though.

It is just $7, but I still really hope that they arrive. Although, I'm not sure what would be worse: Not getting the samples and losing a few dollars or getting the samples, falling in love with one of them, and then not having anywhere to purchase it!

This reads like a script to a perfumista disaster movie
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

(sob)

i have pretty much every l ;artisan sample made......and when i looked this weekend they had fluer oranger and another exlusive harvest one for sampling...i dont think they had those before or i just didnt notice.....i kinda wish i knew they were going to be here still....i bet they probably dont even know that answer right now. i would go get a T42 a dzing a back up of timbuktu. maybe a voleur de roses. those are on my list of things to get.....but my list is long and my dollars are deminishing. If i were told they were going out business forever they would move to the top of the list!

my stuff for sale!

When I came home today I had a voicemail from Sheryl at L'Artisan (I imagine it is New York, since the area code of the phone # she left is 212).

She said that they had been delayed in sending my samples and sachet because they did not have the sachet and it would not come for another two weeks, so they were not sure if they should send me the samples and refund the money for the sachet. She left a phone number. I will call tomorrow and find out more about what is happening with the stores.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post

(weep)
    Yep yep. Technically the page still loads but the refrenced Flash object is missing. Also, the /store/ directory is gone.

It looks like this problem applies to only the US site, though. You can still visit other international pages here, even Canada.

Canadian site brings up "Error-cannot connect to database server!"

(whimper)

Well, at the moment some of the US site is back online. Maybe this means they're just getting things reorganized and updated! Hopefully there will soon be a happy ending to the perfumista disaster movie.

DOnt worry
    maybe this will allow them to focus more on their juice than their expansion
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

I just talked to Brian at L'Artisan. Yes they are closing the stores at Madison and Colombus. When I asked about the Chicago one, he said oh yes we are closing some stores, it is a business decision but we are not going out of business.

We talked about my order and everything was fine.
    Evenstar

cool so maybe i will get my samples this month....and i dont have to unload my bank account on stock piling!!!

my stuff for sale!

An update for the other samplers:

I got my package in the mail today! So I guess that's good news for others who are waiting.

There's one small issue that I was hoping to get some feedback about. Two of my samples aren't the nice, carded versions they normally send and are in plain glass vials that are not labeled in any way. They did write the names of the fragrances on two business cards and I'm assuming they hooked the vial over the edge of the matching card, but the hook is so small it wouldn't have lasted more than a couple minutes like that while being bounced around in the mail. Should I suck it up and just try to figure out which is which based on basenotes reviews? I was actually hoping to order more samples, but not if it's going to be a guessing game each time. Has anyone else gotten samples like this?

This is indeed sad news to hear...

I blame it all on that gimmicky looking $250 "Chez Moi" room diffuser!!

It's difficult to imagine that was a huge seller..

Certainly an interesting line and very innovative. Usually the first to go in hard times. Passage de Enfer was my first niche and blind too. I'm thinking determined fragrophiles will still find it somewhere. I would definitely not want ever to be without a bottle of Mechant Loop.

Quote Originally Posted by jwpianoboe View Post
    An update for the other samplers:

I got my package in the mail today! So I guess that's good news for others who are waiting.

There's one small issue that I was hoping to get some feedback about. Two of my samples aren't the nice, carded versions they normally send and are in plain glass vials that are not labeled in any way. They did write the names of the fragrances on two business cards and I'm assuming they hooked the vial over the edge of the matching card, but the hook is so small it wouldn't have lasted more than a couple minutes like that while being bounced around in the mail. Should I suck it up and just try to figure out which is which based on basenotes reviews? I was actually hoping to order more samples, but not if it's going to be a guessing game each time. Has anyone else gotten samples like this?
    Yes, I have.
    At the time, there were no carded samples of the newly launched Fleur de Liane and the recently recontinued L'Eau du Navigateur made yet. I was told there were no carded samples of their "vintage" line, (Fleur de Narcisse, Fleur d'Oranger, Iris Padilla) but they were nice enough to tape the glass vial to a business card with the name of the fragrance handwritten on it.

I'm going to miss going down to the Thompson Street botique. Cheryl and Michele are golden.

I placed an order for samples about a week ago, maybe a little longer, but I have received mine. I did get one that was on a business card-but it was for one of the special editions and when I called the downtown store a sales associate (Bryan?) told me it was cuz they don't make the special ones in reg samples...he also said that they were not goin outta business...he was very nice.

I haven't heard anything on any other sites abouthtem goin outta business-maybe this is just specualtion? I dunno I hope so though! They are great!