Code of Conduct

Default Sportsman Cologne

(In reference to what Oviatt mentioned here: http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=205400)

I came across Sportsman Cologne at my local 99 Cents Only store (it's actually a After Shave/Cologne). I remember I used to see it for sale in the late 80's at my local Value City stores back in Ohio. I *always* smelled the tester (or maybe opened the box) and really wanted to buy it -- but never did for some reason.

When I saw it last night, my jaw dropped. My first inclination was it wasn't the scent that I remembered so fondly -- but it was! I immediately bought one (how can you pass up 99 cents for a 1.7 oz bottle?). It's AMAZING how a scent can take you back in time. I literally have not smelled it since probably 1989, so suddenly I was back in college again worrying about my latest midterm or paper that was due!

I looked it up here on BN and apparently from what you've said (and the ad I've included below), it's a lot older than the 1988 release date indicated.

My friend smelled it and said it reminds him of Drakkar Noir -- and it does me too now that he mentions it. But there is something different enough about it that is going to make me go grab several more bottles! Apparently it came in several different bottles -- the ones I saw back in the late 80's though had a Wild Deer on them, as did the bottles at the 99 Cents store. Maybe I'll check other stores to see if there are other pictures!

I'm kind of surprised to learn that this cologne has so much history -- and that it has only been briefly mentioned on here with no reviews (not even to say it's hated -- which I would find hard to believe!).

Time Travel can be so much fun.

From the box: "Take a deep breath of the wilderness. Sportsman captures the wholesome freshness of Nature's pure outdoors. Woodsy, green and oakmoss notes are underscored with the aromatic herbal scent of lavender. It's 'a return to Nature.'"

Default Re: Sportsman Cologne

Oh, Lordy! I haven't thought of that brand in ages. Thanks for the memory.

Which 99Cent only store? I'm going!

Heck, pick me up a bottle!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah

I was in a 99 cent store yesterday and saw plenty of this.

Of course I had to sample. I was surprised at how reasonably good it smelled.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

I think I've figured it out -

It is 100% intentionally marketed to us...

They know we spent the bulk of our money on niche stuff, so now we're shopping at the Dollar Store for life's other essentials!
    Lately I've been wearing:
    Windsor, Bois de Santal, Original Santal, Elixir, Douro, Endymion, Reflection, Arcus, Marwah