Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Question Aqua di Parma Profumo - safe blind buy for Chypre Lover?

How did I miss this chypre? It is supposed to have been recently reformulated from the original 1930 formula. All accounts seem enthusiastic. Is anyone out there familiar with this recent version? It sounds very promising to me. I love the new Amouage Jubilation 25 and of course Mitsouko, both of which are being favorably compared to AdP.
    Last edited by kumquat; 25th March 2009 at 11:26 PM.

Default Re: Aqua di Parma Profumo - safe blind buy for Chypre Lover?

Yes !

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Chayaruchama, thanks for responding. Can you elaborate? What is it like? More floral? green?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I second Chaya's "Yes!"

Definitely a safe blind buy for a chypre lover. It's a restrained chypre, rather than an aggressive, sharp, or aloof chypre. Very elegant and sophisticated; lushly floral with a little powdery softness. I tried the new version, and have not smelled the previous.
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Both older and newer are well worth it; well-balanced, complex, mossy, floral, elegant.
    More than the sum of their parts; sophisticated but warm and inviting, while still maintaining the definite 'chypre' modality...

The kind of sexy that insinuates- but doesn't sit on your face....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

So I finally got a chance to try both new & vintage Profumo. While the new is very good (I might have to get both) as it is a tangy/crisp chypre in the classic sense, the old version has a definite oakmoss kick with an underlying earthiness. The amazing thing is, I think it is extremely well created in the new Amouage Jubilation 25 Femme.

I adore Jub. 25 - a golden juicy chypre in the old-school manor. I got mine at substantial savings from Beauty Encounter. 'Travel size' for $50 a $180 savings on 1oz! Call on the phone & beg them to check if they still have it. That's what I did.
    Last edited by kumquat; 15th April 2009 at 07:37 PM.

You LOVE that stuff up, honey !
    I'm mad for it, too.
    Worth chaque sou,IMHCO [crazy]....

N.B.- perhaps it's not accurate- sometimes those tiny quantities aren't, alas-
    But my luckyscent sample of The Party in Manhattan is very redolent opf jub 25....
    [Perhaps, one doesn''t need BOTH !]

Profumo is another exemple of GREAT reformulation. The old one was too earthy, bitter and almost masculine for my taste.

PS: just avoid the deluxe spray below, its quality is rather disappointing...

Is there an easy way to distinguish the old and new? Was the bottle changed at all or is there a major difference in notes? I have a bottle but am not sure which one it is. It opens as a bright citrusy chypre, a bit aldehydic, and then pretty quickly becomes darker and mossier--sometimes even smells a bit like cigarette ashes.

I know that each person will describe a scent differently, though, so I may just have to find a new one at a store to compare!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Chaya - the Party in Manhattan was too much for me. It was closer to Lyric for Women with it's animalic musk. I just don't get on with those frags, I guess. Maybe we should start a thread about The Party. It is an odd one to me.

Sucrose, do you like the juice or are you still trying to decide? Did you have a sample to compare it to? I have a sample of new. If you got a sample & it's not the same, that will tell you. Or get a samp. of old juice from TPC.

EDIT: I realized the frag I tried wasn't TPiM, but the other frag by the same maker, Ten! My bad. I like The Party quite a lot. It is a great chypre, very close to Am. 25
    Last edited by kumquat; 8th May 2009 at 05:29 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by sucrose View Post
    Is there an easy way to distinguish the old and new? Was the bottle changed at all or is there a major difference in notes? I have a bottle but am not sure which one it is. It opens as a bright citrusy chypre, a bit aldehydic, and then pretty quickly becomes darker and mossier--sometimes even smells a bit like cigarette ashes.

I know that each person will describe a scent differently, though, so I may just have to find a new one at a store to compare!
    Boing! I'm there Love dry, mossy, powdery with ashy notes!

Basenotes Institution
    Post Thanks / Like

I really want to get a decant of this one. The one time I smelled it, from a tester, I loved it. One can never have too many chypres in their wardrobe.
    "One day I will find the right words, and they will be simple"

-- Jack Kerouac

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post

Sucrose, do you like the juice or are you still trying to decide? Did you have a sample to compare it to? I have a sample of new. If you got a sample & it's not the same, that will tell you. Or get a samp. of old juice from TPC.
    I'm still trying to decide if I like the ashiness, but everything else about it is wonderful; I'm waiting for a slightly warmer day to give it a good test on my skin. I believe that at least one store near me has this, so I think I'll give their tester a try.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Update, I have the old formula Profumo & I love the rich moss. I tried the new version & while it is good, I'm glad I found this bottle. I'm pretty much a moss fiend!