Code of Conduct

Talking Lynx/Axe Collectors

Okay, I appreciate this is a place for some pretty swanky and expensive frags and all that, but I was wondering if there are anyone here who collects or at least appreciates Lynx/Axe fragrances, either the sprays or the other products like aftershaves?

I have mentioned them a few times on other threads but thought I'd start a thread specifically for these products and it's fans.

I know there are people here who will pitch in with how they don't like it but I'm sure there must be some people on here who do and that is what this thread is for.

I'd be interested to hear what people think of the range, especially the old scents (my favourites) or even the latest offerings. I've actually started a Facebook group to see if we can find the old (and new) scents in the form of other brands.

http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=24367114958

I'm also aware the USA only started getting these Axe products at around 2002, so they missed out on the classics like Oriental, Java and Atlantis. Maybe if these scents were released over there, they'd be more popular since the modern ones aren't that nice really (with the exception of Africa... or I believe it's called Kilo in the US.)
    My Current 5 stars..... Brut, Lynx Java, Lynx Oriental, Lynx Musk, Lynx Inca, Lynx Fever, Addiction Spice Fire, Hugo Energise, Sean Jean Unforgivable, Burberry Touch, Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle, cKBe & cK1

I like what I like, so sue me!

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Lynx/Axe Collectors

Welcome to Basenotes Robbo1979.

Funny, I just yesterday, did a search here on Basenotes for Essence, since I read on a blog that it's leather note is similar to the Etat Libre d'Orange leather 'house' note which kind of shocked me. I've never smelled it, so I wanted to see if anyone had commented about it (I didn't find much).

One time I complimented a guy on a scent and it was Kilo by Axe. It smelled fantastic on him. On me, it did not. I am not a fan (or collector) of Axe scents, since to me most of them smell a little too synthetic and small structured. But, hey - there's a lot of room here at Basenotes for all kinds of fragrance fans!

Axe was pretty good when I used to wear it. However, they never topped their original, Essence. And then eventually that got to be reformulated a lot.. it was disappointing. The best bottles of it had detachable plastic domes, and had next to no design on the bottle.

The last essence I had was extremely cold and frigid. The last Axe I bought was the "bullets" of Clix, which was a pretty good fragrance, but had that same sharp quality to it. Phoenix and Vice pushed this sharpness to the limit and I couldn't stand them.

If I could find a high-quality version of the original Essence, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

I do not know if I love ALL Axe perfumes and thus I do not collect them, but I miss Axe Inca-Aztec, in fact, I hope and pray for the reappearance of a fragrance like this, or, even better, that Axe releases this fragrance again, as EDT or even EDP (Ah! Wishful thinking! I know, I am dreaming again), since after shave and deo were a bit vapid.

Kilo was my first scent, and I get nostalgic enough that I'll put it on in the morning if I'm not feeling like doing anything else that day. The linearity and "cheapness" kinda gets to me though if I want to do a full day's wearing. Apparently it was "inspired" by Minotaure - I've been meaning to try out Minotaure to compare the two, I'd love a richer, less sharp version of Kilo.

Essence sounds like a North American variant... I'll have to look that up and find out it's UK (Lynx) equivalent (if there is one). That may be the 'original' over there, but Lynx in the UK goes back to the early-mid 80s and they first had Lynx Spice, Lynx Amber and my personal favourite of the originals, Lynx Musk. They still do Musk in Germany (it's called Moschus over there) but the formula is completely changed and not that nice.

Will have to look up this Minotaure scent... if it's anything like "Kilo" or Africa as I know it, then that'd be an excellent find!

Ken, was Lynx Inca known as Axe Aztec in Romania then? I LOVED Inca.
    My Current 5 stars..... Brut, Lynx Java, Lynx Oriental, Lynx Musk, Lynx Inca, Lynx Fever, Addiction Spice Fire, Hugo Energise, Sean Jean Unforgivable, Burberry Touch, Jean Paul Gaultier Le Mâle, cKBe & cK1

Basenotes Institution

Wikipedia has a very comprehensive graph of all of the scents, in chronological order, etc. Link here.

Blog Entries

Y'know...I actually wear Axe sometimes. Only Clix, though. I think it goes well w/ Clinique Happy. I forgot about Essence. I used to wear that, too.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

You Americans Axe users really missed out on Lynx/Axe Oriental and Java... two excellent scents.

Instinct, one of the latest offerings from Lynx was actually created by the very talented Yann Vasnier, so people who scoff at Lynx should try this one.
    Fine fragrance is alive; it breathes, unfolds and unravels with each passing hour....

Roja Dove

I have a can of Kilo in my gym bag! Axe used to be my everyday fragrance, I'd wear it to class, I'd wear it to the gym, after the gym. And then for special occasions or when I'm going out i would wear my Armani Mania.

Oh the memories!

Quote Originally Posted by Prince Barry View Post
    Instinct, one of the latest offerings from Lynx was actually created by the very talented Yann Vasnier, so people who scoff at Lynx should try this one.
    I like this, but didn't at first... it's a grower!

Lynx have really gone through a poor phase since it released Atlantis in 1997 (UK). Everything prior to and including this was pretty decent, but then it took a sharp turn and went really downhill. BUT these last two efforts (Dark Temptation and Instinct) have actually improved a hell of a lot (if not quite as good as the old ones) and are up there alongside Africa (1995) as the best of the bunch available today.

The fact that Africa (Kilo in the US I believe) has lasted this long and is still the top Lynx effort in sales, proves the old ones are badly missed. But the last couple of new ones are promising.

I always hope they'll bring back some of the old scents... I really think the US would like them, they had far more character than the more modern Lynx/Axe efforts.

Axe Africa was my favorite. It is indeed inspired by Paloma Picasso's Minotaure, but Minotaure is simply better.

A bottle of Lynx Inca just went for £36 on eBay. I was bidding but wasn't paying that much even though I REALLY want one!!!

If that doesn't prove to Lynx/Axe that people want the better old scents back, then nothing will.

Quote Originally Posted by CologneJunkie View Post
    Y'know...I actually wear Axe sometimes. Only Clix, though. I think it goes well w/ Clinique Happy. I forgot about Essence. I used to wear that, too.
    I love Clix! Axe Clix used to be my first Eau de Toilette, which lead me to Basenotes.
    Wanted: a cap of Bvlgari Thé Vert

Wanted: L' Artisan Timbuktu or Fragonard Concerto

Feel free to visit Polderposh - a young up & coming Dutch fragrance blog!

Wait, are there Axe EdTs? Because I swear everyone here in Mexico just abuses the damn deodorant spray; and I have grown to absolutely detest it.
    Chipmunks love to eat nuts. Don't go to the woods without pants. (°<

In the US, all that's been released was Axe Lab, which is a passable scent. I think my bottle's gone bad though ... kept it in my car for too long I guess. However, to my understanding, there are EdP versions of many of the Axe/Lynx fragrances available in Europe.

Blog Entries

I actually just bought an Axe deodorant...Sharp Focus. Has a great minty smell that I think will go well w/ some of my lighter frags for the summer.
    "Wait...is David Bowie really God?" - Penelope Garcia

I've been a daily user of the Deosprays they offer. Recently bought Chocolate and Instinct DRY (such a relief, so sweat at all)
    unico grande amore.

Pulse does things to me only rivaled by Third Man.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Well I was viewing an item on eBay today... a Lynx Nevada set of aftershave and a couple of other small bits. It sold for £66.66!!!!

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...m=120415213006

That is bleeding ridiculous!!! I thought it would go for around the £30 mark, but that shocked me. Think I might go to town and buy up all the Lynx aftershaves available... in 10-15 years time they'll make me a small fortune!!!

I just got a bottle of Lynx Inca aftershave for just under £15 inc. P&P. I'm happy since these usually go for well over £30 on eBay these days! It was the one Lynx scent I needed to complete my list of their scents of which I desired. Good times!

Modern Lynx sucks compared to the old scents. Mind you, I've grown to like Instinct now, and I'm liking their current limited edition 'Fever' offering... a scent rather orange in smell... and the shower gel is nice too.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    Kilo was my first scent, and I get nostalgic enough that I'll put it on in the morning if I'm not feeling like doing anything else that day. The linearity and "cheapness" kinda gets to me though if I want to do a full day's wearing. Apparently it was "inspired" by Minotaure - I've been meaning to try out Minotaure to compare the two, I'd love a richer, less sharp version of Kilo.
    I had Kilo once and always thought it to be a LOT like 212 Men, very greenish, a little like SD Agua Verde. Maybe it was just the green packaging or something. Not bad, though. I got it as it was well-received by many Axe-heads and had sorta grown tired of the newer ones (Touch, Essence, etc.) and had moved onto Creeds (also over-rated, but preferable, if you're paid).

Still love and recommend Tsunami and VooDoo (RIP). Dark Seduction was nice (read: interesting), kinda beginning to like Fever with some degree of shame.
    "Flagrantly fragrant and they can't escape me. My perfume pursued them everywhere that they went.
    You don't want a loan, leave my cologne alone. It's a little too strong for you to be putting on".
    - Lupe Fiasco

Not collecting, but my teen sons have Bergamot, Clix, Touch, Dark Temptation, and another one, not Axe, Pure 50 from 50 Cents (Right Guard) that reminds me a litttle bit of Unforgivable.
    Plastykos

I've only tried one, Phoenix. I mildly like it, and my GF loves it, so it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Funny, I just yesterday, did a search here on Basenotes for Essence, since I read on a blog that it's leather note is similar to the Etat Libre d'Orange leather 'house' note which kind of shocked me.
    When I was 15 I spent $50 on Axe Essence body wash, deodorant, and shower gel because the girl I was smitten with at the time complimented that scent on me. I attracted a lot of compliments with that frag, as well as Axe's Tsunami and Kilo scents.

However, now that I've discovered the wide world of cologne, I'm a fan of Axe's shower gels more than anything else. I've been using their "Recovery" shower gel for a while and they recently released the body spray with the same scent. It's also good.
    "In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

They stay in the travel bag... but I loved the Bergamot scent and the Below Zero Degrees scents...

I sampled Instinct and Dark Temptation and they lasted on me for 8 hours, even more with Instinct. I was absolutely shocked with the longevity. I liked them both. My local Target has them for $4.80 a can - I'll soon make a purchase.
    Peace ~ Markymark

Quote Originally Posted by Markymark View Post
    I sampled Instinct and Dark Temptation and they lasted on me for 8 hours, even more with Instinct. I was absolutely shocked with the longevity. I liked them both. My local Target has them for $4.80 a can - I'll soon make a purchase.
    The longevity of Lynx/Axe has indeed improved a hell of a lot in recent years. The older ones (although superior in scent) never lasted very long at all. Now they can last a whole day at work, especially the DRY versions.

Does anyone know of any designer or drugstore (not expensive niche) EDT/Aftershave that is similar to the Lynx Fever scent? A scent where orange is the dominant note?

Quote Originally Posted by Robbo1979 View Post
    Does anyone know of any designer or drugstore (not expensive niche) EDT/Aftershave that is similar to the Lynx Fever scent? A scent where orange is the dominant note?
    I think cK Crave is extremely similar. I'll wear it to work tomorrow and steal a sniff of Fever to compare it to.

Quote Originally Posted by Royal View Post
    I think cK Crave is extremely similar. I'll wear it to work tomorrow and steal a sniff of Fever to compare it to.

Excellent, I'll have to give that a try at the weekend!

Ok, this made I laugh!! It IS rare, but I'm sure it's not worth THAT many sobs! LOL

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Lynx-Tempest-A...d=p3286.c0.m14

lol @ that ebay link.

I tried Fever the other day and it was a pleasant surprise. I might buy a can, the medicinal orange candy thing works.

Ok, this made I laugh!! It IS rare, but I'm sure it's not worth THAT many sobs! LOL

That's rather optimistic, isn't it?

I'd absolutely love to get my mitts on an original formula Lynx Musk Aftershave again, but not at Frederic Malle prices!

The seller is from Merseyside so that explains the criminal price!!! LOL (joke!!!)

I too would LOVE to get my germans on an original Lynx Musk aftershave. The reformulated version (Axe Moschus) is nowhere near as good. I got a couple of cans of the original formula and it is one of Lynx's finest fo'sho'!

I got a full bottle of Lynx Inca on the bay yesterday... £5 buy it now.... It would've been rude not to!!! I saw that go for nearly 40 sobs not so long ago (and I myself got hold of a bottle for £15 a couple of months ago, so this was practically a steal!!!) This one even had a box! Win!

I've never used AXE products as they came out after my teenage years. When I was younger it was all about Adidas.

Quote Originally Posted by warlandsboy View Post
    I've never used AXE products as they came out after my teenage years. When I was younger it was all about Adidas.
    Hey, no need to make time an issue here.

I DO remember the early Lynx/Axe available in the States in only small neighborhood shops and indeed the Oriental Spice was great. Also, in the early 90's when I was in Spain.

Currently I enjoy Fever very much and as they say never too late.

That's correct... there's no time limit on this stuff. I'm 30 and still use them. Okay maybe not for going out at weekends and stuff, but for general wear, say, at work, you can't go wrong!

The day they bring Lynx Oriental or Lynx Java back will be a day to remember!!!

What struck me about the Oriental when I sampled it way back was that it was truly masculine and exotic...like something more from SE Asia...BTW, I do get that vibe, believe it or not, with the new Fever.

Ahhh I have fond memories of Lynx Alaska, sadly discontinued many moons ago. Would love to sniff this again, would take me right back to school....

Quote Originally Posted by goldiloks View Post
    Ahhh I have fond memories of Lynx Alaska, sadly discontinued many moons ago. Would love to sniff this again, would take me right back to school....
    It's still available in Europe... it regularly turns up on eBay UK (Axe Alaska) and I got 4 cans a couple of months back. It's not on there at this moment, but it IS often on there, along with Marine and occasionally Atlantis.

Quote Originally Posted by ortho123 View Post
    What struck me about the Oriental when I sampled it way back was that it was truly masculine and exotic...like something more from SE Asia...BTW, I do get that vibe, believe it or not, with the new Fever.
    I agree that I'm loving the new Fever and it's up there with the likes of Oriental and Java. Instinct is good too.

It was sold for £85!!!! And the seller STILL wants £4 postage! FAIL!

Funnily enough, I posted elsewhere today about Old Spice Whitewater, but was also tempted by Lynx Instinct, I've been using the shower gel lately and I really like it..
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    Funnily enough, I posted elsewhere today about Old Spice Whitewater, but was also tempted by Lynx Instinct, I've been using the shower gel lately and I really like it..
    For the price, it's well worth it mate! As is Africa/Kilo.

I REALLY wish they would release FEVER as an aftershave or EDT.

After much thought I have decided I LOVE Lynx Fever and it's up there alongside Java, Oriental, Inca and Musk as one of the best ever Lynx releases (Atlantis and Africa just bubbling under) and I am well happy with it. Being a Lynx fan, the best ones get 5 stars from me, and that now includes Fever.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

More proof that the old ones are the best?

Hello everybody,

I'm from the Netherlands and i'm collecting the Axe fragrances (after shaves), This is what i have collected so far:

Wild musk, Energy, Mirage, Brave, Blue Chypre, Inca, Voodoo, Apollo, Click, Vice, Moschus, Unlimited, Touch, Gravity,
    Alaska, Phoenix, Pulse, Dimension, Africa, Air, Below zero, Marine, Dark Temptation, Instinct.

Still searching for some old ones from the 80's like Dark oriental and Cool cedar to name just a few. But it 's not easy. You have to be lucky. Some of these frags have different names in other countries. But that's the fun part of it. If somebody like to give comment on this then let me know.
    Last edited by triton001; 28th January 2010 at 12:49 PM.

I wish Axe would bring a line of aftershaves over to the USA. We got the hair care line instead

I had a friend of mine pick up some Lynx aftershave while he was overseas. He was able to get me the Africa (Kilo) and Vice versions. Loved the Africa and hated the Vice. They came in different bottles, the Africa was clear and the Vice was frosted. The quality of the two were worlds apart. The Africa was an acceptable aftershave but the Vice was like fragranced water.

Quote Originally Posted by triton001 View Post
    Hello everybody,

I'm from the Netherlands and i'm collecting the Axe fragrances (after shaves), This is what i have collected so far:

Wild musk, Energy, Mirage, Brave, Blue Chypre, Inca, Voodoo, Apollo, Click, Vice, Moschus, Unlimited, Touch, Gravity,
    Alaska, Phoenix, Pulse, Dimension, Africa, Air, Below zero, Marine, Dark Temptation, Instinct.

Still searching for some old ones from the 80's like Dark oriental and Cool cedar to name just a few. But it 's not easy. You have to be lucky. Some of these frags have different names in other countries. But that's the fun part of it. If somebody like to give comment on this then let me know.
    I have Dark Oriental (it was known as simply 'Oriental' in the UK)... that is an awesome scent. Inca is one of my faves from days gone by, as is Java.

I highly recommend Lynx/Axe's Fever, Instinct and of course Africa/Kilo from the current crop. Fever is up there with the best for me.
    Last edited by Robbo1979; 28th January 2010 at 08:02 PM.

Axe Dark Temptation is the best deo I have ever smelled. Awesome.
    Great works are performed, not by strength, but by perseverance.

Quote Originally Posted by trapper View Post
    Axe Dark Temptation is the best deo I have ever smelled. Awesome.
    This & Africa i like them both more.

i have axe dark temptation body spray. it smells like a poor man's angel men with the choclate... i like the smell

I can't find Lynx Vice (it is one of the two Lynx I like so I really want another can) in any shops any more so I want to know what smells like Lynx Vice... help... anyone?

anyone?

Did anyone ever find a fragrance similar to Lynx/Axe Inca? It's the one smell I cannot get enough of, and I hate all other Lynx smells. There has to be something out there which smells similar?

Banned
    Blog Entries

I have a can of Axe Pulse. It's actually not bad at all. Definite citrus with a lemon/lime combo or something similar on top. Then there's a warmer note - seems to be peach. A little white musky and mossy in the drydown. Surprising given its price. To my knowledge Pulse is not available anymore.