Code of Conduct

Default My Ode To Andron

I discovered this site by googling "Andron" just for the heck of it. Although this fragrance has been out of my life for decades, I still have fond memories of it.
    So, if you young'uns will kindly let an old man ramble...
    In the spring of 1982, I was a 31 year-old nightclub musician. I played country/rock fiddle and harmonica in nightclub bands all over the U.S., especially the southern states. The bars were really swinging in those days and it was easy to keep a four or five-piece band working 5 or 6 nights a week.
    I was a passable-looking fellow, there were better and lesser-looking guys around. I was about average, I suppose. But, I had a couple of things going for me that most guys didn't have.
    For one thing, I was a pretty good musician with a fair amount of stage presence. The second thing is that most of the women I met had been drinking.
    Now, of course I'd been getting laid before Andron ever came into my life, but, the day I discovered, and started wearing it, even a liquor-sodden lounge lizard like me noticed a sudden change.
    This stuff was magic!
    I don't know what Jovan put into this stuff, but it sure worked! Like sharks in the water, women homed in on me. I can't even recall all the "you smell good" comments.
    My memory is a little hazy, but I seem to recall paying maybe $20 a bottle at local drug stores I visited all over the country. These bottles were pretty big and lasted a long time.
    Then, starting around 1990, Andron became harder to find. I seem to recall writing a snail-mail letter to Jovan and they sent me my last bottle back in the early '90's.
    And then, as they say, that was that.
    Now, I'm a 57-year old geezer living by himself out in the country. I've been out of the music business for years. If Andron suddenly reappeared and I put it on and went cruising, I'd just make a fool of myself.
    However, I want you young fellows to know that there really was something significant about Andron in its day. Why this great product was discontinued is a mystery to me. Has Jovan ever said anything?
    Could it have been that I was just in the right place, at the right time, in the right profession, and Andron had very little to do with my outrageous sexual success in those days? Maybe, but I doubt it. I'd never seen women act that way before or since.
    I'm a true believer.
    I'm going to follow this thread for a while, then I'm finished with this forum. I haven't worn any fragrances in many years, and have no plans to shop for any.
    I just wanted to tell my story about a big part of my life.
    Jovan's Andron will always mean a lot to me in my memories.

Default Re: My Ode To Andron

Thanks for sharing your story Brute... pity you won't stay a while longer
    Well, I never had the opportunity to try Andron, but it certainly sounds like a force to be reckoned with, and it must have just suited your chemistry 100%.

Just so that others wont need to look in the directory, here is the olfactory pyramid:

Top Notes
    Fresh, Green and Citrus.

Middle Notes
    Sandalwood, Patchouli, Woody Notes.

Base Notes
    Civet, Musk, Ambergris, Castoreum, Androstenol [Pheromone].

With basenotes like these, I can only imagine what kind of a presence it had.
    Im sure if you came across a bottle now and smelled it for the first time in 20 years, you would see your (sex)life flash before your eyes. An excellent story.

I'm very skeptical regarding pheromones. This looks like a total 80's power frag. Check out the musk heavy base.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Never smelt Andron before, but it looks like my kind of frag.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Blog Entries

Probably it was the civet combined with the musk & then the amber would add a nice aroma. Oh, forgot about the dirty castoreum!
    Last edited by kumquat; 27th March 2009 at 04:17 PM.

Brute,
    Welcome to Basenotes. To echo, we do hope you'll stay. If you stick around long enough, you'll catch the fragrance bug and I'll bet you will end up finding things you like as much as Andron.
    I remember Andron and I did own a bottle. I liked it but unfortunately never had the results you did with it. :-)

Some really think pheromones play a huge part in attracting other people. There are specific forums and web stores that specialize in pheromone products only, you may want to check those out too.
    Jovan has had some winners for many people over the years; Andron, Musk, Sex Appeal, Grass Oil, NRG, etc. Many claim huge "success" with these products. I'd bet that Andron just meshed with your chemistry and everything came together. Either way, do stick around!

I really liked your story!!!

Well, it is difficult to state how important was Andron when it came to having so much fun with the ladies, since perception is made up of thousands and millions of stimula: so, for realiity's sake, you should add to the scent you wore your looks, the way you dressed, your ability as a musician, the way you talk, the way you had your hair cut, etc.

Regarding scents used at that time, well, scents reflect fashion in their own way. Back in the early 1980's men wore bombastic scents. This is not the case at present, most succesful scents tend to be politically correct, this actually meaning "boring".

Thus, so long for times past. Still, there are things worth smelling, many of them quite acesible. And, who knows, maybe they will also do the trick with ladies your age.

Have fun.

[QUOTE=Pollux;1471949]I really liked your story!!!

Well, it is difficult to state how important was Andron when it came to having so much fun with the ladies, since perception is made up of thousands and millions of stimula: so, for realiity's sake, you should add to the scent you wore your looks, the way you dressed, your ability as a musician, the way you talk, the way you had your hair cut, etc.

Points well taken. Add to the general aroma the constant presence of cigarette smoke. At home I'd notice how my stage clothes and amplifier reeked of nicotine. Those bars were really smoky.
    Of course, there were many factors that just happened to come together perfectly to make things happen the way they did.
    For one thing, I was operating in "My World". I loved what I did, and it showed. I was having fun and possessed a certain "attitude". Women pick up on that sort of thing. My entire sex life revolved around those bars. If I had applied Andron and went to church or a PTA meeting where nobody knew I was "Brute The Fiddler", things would have went differently.
    Thanks for the responses and suggestions, everybody!
    I no longer go out at night. I'm just an old recluse out in the boonies who goes to bed early, gets up early, and tends a vegetable garden and a fruit tree orchard.
    These days, my biggest thrill is a fishing trip.

Quote Originally Posted by Brute View Post
    These days, my biggest thrill is a fishing trip.
    Big fish? How BIG?

Welcome to Basenotes!
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Great story.

You should look into getting another fragrance or two. Fishing would be a great time to sit back and - while waiting for fish to bite - analyze or just enjoy a wonderful fragrance.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by anak View Post
    jesus that thing is loaded to the gills.

and yet its all still probably a gimmick...

I'm hoping someone tries it and reports. The company used to make great supplements but after the stupid prohormone ban (don't even get me started but the sh#t that's out now because of the ban is even more harmful) the company started making junk. And yes VERY gimmicky. The release of a pheremone perfume in my opinion shot them to the back of the bus in terms of sports supplements.

Cheers,
    Al

Thanks Brute, for sharing your story and I hope you'll stick around.
    I did own and love Andron. In fact most Jovan titles, sadly discontinued, were great.
    Sport, Andron, Oleg Cassini for Jovan, Grass Oil, France, Germany, etc.
    I encourage you to try Sex Appeal, still available in drugstores. It's an excellent amber scent that has patchouli and musk.

I'm trying to think of what Andron would compare to now. Not that they smell alike but perhaps Geir, even though Geir doesn't have the animalic notes. Something fresh and sweet at the same time but different than anything else.

The best I can describe Andron is think of layering Givenchy Gentleman over Boss One.

Quote Originally Posted by phero2010 View Post
    There is a company on Ebay selling Andron clone. Item #280452480088
    im guessing this is your company considering you have posted 3 times under 3 different andron threads? tell us about it
    Last edited by jdnba; 17th January 2010 at 04:24 PM.
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron

Quote Originally Posted by jdnba View Post
    im guessing this is your company considering you have posted 3 times under 3 different andron threads? tell us about it
    I especially like the fact that the seller has zero feedback.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

Quote Originally Posted by TwoRoads View Post
    I especially like the fact that the seller has zero feedback.
    haha, yes and 4 posts...3 say exactly the same thing about this andron clone company in the same exact words
    Current Top 5:

Tabac, Cardinal, Brookes Brothers, Musc Kublai Khan, Andron