Code of Conduct

Question Bespoke fragrance...Profumo.it etc.

I've searched here, but I couldn't glean very much insight:

Has any BNer actually taken the plunge and hired Profumo to make a bespoke fragrance for them? Anyone have any testimonials they'd like to share?

I'm seriously considering having one made, but I'd love to get some reviews before plunking down $265 USD.

How long does it take from order to having the bottle in hand?

As far as that goes, if anyone has any testimonials (good or bad) for other houses who do bespoke, I'd love to hear about it.

Any insights anyone can offer are much appreciated.

Thank you

Default Re: Bespoke fragrance...Profumo.it etc.

Hi andylama,

I'm pretty sure you read this post, but just in case... http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=224232

If you scroll down or search for the word "persona" you'll come across a perfume that was made for a member named T-box. He seemed pretty pleased with it. I've smelled it, and yes, it does smell pretty good, and pretty close to what T-box asked for.

From my experience with Profumo's fragrances, I'm sure that if you describe exactly what you want, he should be more than capable of creating it. Unfortunately, I don't have the moula to actually purchase a signature scent from profumo.it and describe it as a first-hand experience just yet.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 28th March 2009 at 12:46 AM.
    Sales thread here

If I could afford it, and if I could make up my mind, I would do it. I think the BNer who had Persona created would be the best one to respond as to timing, etc., but I smelled the end result and it is stunningly deft vetiver fragrance with gorgeous citruses, neroli and frankincense.

The only other house which does bespoke that I have tried is Neil Morris. I'd say, if I compare Neil Morris to Profumo, there is a higher percentage from Profumo's line that I like. Maybe it makes sense for you to test from the different houses to see which style suits you.

Thanks much for the responses.

I'm wondering if I should just jump into the deep end of the pool and get into DIY. I could fine tune a juice until it's exactly what I wanted.

Expensive either way, I suspect.
    Last edited by andylama; 29th March 2009 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    I could fine tune a juice until it's exactly what I wanted.
    If only it were that easy. My mother in law has a huge collection of essential oils and aroma chemicals and I thought I would be able to tweak a fragrance that was perfect for me.. it never happened.

If you are going to go the bespoke route you need to find a perfumer you can visit in person and have the fragrance created while both you and the perfumer can smell it on your skin.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Hmm, the plot thickens, doesn't it?

Thanks for the insight.

andylama, why not write to Profumo directly and voice your concerns? He has done enough bespoke fragrances that I am sure he has a solution for every perceived problem.

I don't think any concerns I might have are really worthy of bothering Profumo with. I'd hate to annoy or insult anyone! I really just wanted some testimonials. I'm absolutely sure Profumo's nose is competent and skilled. It's really about the cost--before dropping that much money on an unknown product, I just want some assurance.

As for the DIY, I really like the idea more than buying a single bottle of bespoke, but I don't really have the time to invest right now.

Thanks for the advice though.

Pecksniff's also does bespoke, but I believe they're a bit pricier than $265 - more like 250 GBP.
    - E.J.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by surreality View Post
    If you are going to go the bespoke route you need to find a perfumer you can visit in person and have the fragrance created while both you and the perfumer can smell it on your skin.
    The Perfumer's Apprentice does this. I'm not close to their shop but I've ordered componnts and Linda has been very helpful by phone & e-mail.

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    As for the DIY, I really like the idea more than buying a single bottle of bespoke, but I don't really have the time to invest right now.

Thanks for the advice though.
    Andylama, believe me, even if you had the time (and it would have to very much!), you would never, ever come out with something pleasant for 265$! You have to consider that it takes a lot of efforts to get a feel for proportions etc, and until you have it, you will have wasted a fortune down the drain. It's not like cooking, you can get books with nice recipes, but good perfume formulas are always going to be kept secret.

Sourcing good raw materials is a science by itself, a lot of fake and adulteration going on that is a waste of money as well.

I am no way affiliated with Salaam, but I assure you, he uses really outstanding raw materials and one male scent I was able to test (Gringo) is absolutety gorgeous! In fact I think that the amount of money is not a lot for what you might very likely get.

Hope that helps a bit.

Blog Entries

I have to agree that DIY is not cheap or quick. You have to enjoy the journey. I do. So far I've bought 32 single note components & made some more by extractions. I enjoy finding out about each & how they combine. But the closest thing I've come to "wearing" something I made is a lavender hand lotion.

Thank you both for your contrasting insights.

If I were to get into DIY, I would certainly approach it as a long-term hobby, BUT the practical reality is that I simply don't have the time. Sadly.

Thanks again.

Hello everybody,
    sorry for being absent so long. Indeed I am happy with Persona that was made for me and I have to say the whole experience with Profumo was very nice. The perfume was sent to me within two weeks together with two samples including the beautiful Grezzo d'Eleganza which is based on a bespoke perfume too. After spending hundreds of Euro every year on perfume I think the price is very fair since there is a lot of work and expensive materials going into it. I thought I could get into a more deep discussion with Dominique Dobrana from Profumo, but instead he tried to encourage me to produce my own perfumes. His philosophy seems to be: Everybody should be a perfumer (like Beuys said everybody is an artist) and it would make the world a better place. I have to admit I have not followed his call yet.
    I understand that there must be something intriguing for a perfumer like Dominique in getting this kind of weird briefings and lists of ingredients. Very much like a musician is asked to compose a piece based on a certain tonality or bar.
    I heard that Lorenzo Villoresi is making personalized perfumes too, but I guess in order to have the whole experience you want to visit him in Italy (www.lorenzovilloresi.it/bespoke-fragrances.htm)
    Here a story disonnected from the thread: Last month I visited a luna park in Germany and decided to visit a palm reader in an old wooden caravan. After she finished she had a question for me too: What is the very nice perfume you wear? It was Lorenzo Villoresi's Vetiver.
    Kind regards to everybody!
    Last edited by t-box; 2nd May 2009 at 10:06 AM.

One more angle on the DIY thing -

I've got about 200 oils right now - a lot I picked up in the early stages trying to get my hands on everything - and a lot are almost useless. Of course, some strange oils (santolina, for instance) are not useless but extremely limited in their application; yet, in the right circumstance it may be the *perfect* oil for what you want, and if you don't have it or haven't sniffed it, you'd never know.

Another difficulty is that you may get one "sharp" opoponax or one "flat" bay leaf and think "ah, this ingredient is of no use to me" and write the note off as a whole, while if you shop around you'll find another distributor who sells the same oil from a different source and the oil is simply fabulous.

Next, you have to come to grips with the different in all natural perfumes and what you're used to. Many many things you just can't do with all natural oils. On the flipside, there is a beauty and depth in them that you just don't find in the majority of todays perfumes out there. The thing is though that thinking you can recreate something like (just for example) TdH all naturally is like thinking you can play heavy metal with only a violin (no distortion pedals! ). You could play the same notes of a heavy metal song with your violin (within range) but the timbre and end result will be much different than the original. So, it takes time to come to grips with the limits and restraints of all naturals.

Of course, then there is blending, sniffing, and learning. This is an extremely lengthy process and can be downright daunting without the kind of instruction that professional perfumer's go through. If you've been around the DIY boards for any length of time, you've heard people say things like "I've been doing this for a couple years now and still haven't created anything that rivals a commercial perfume" and that is not because those people are unimaginitive or unskilled (well, perhaps they are, but it doesn't imply it!). It's not hard to make a simple blend that smells nice, but to make something that evolves and truly is more than the sum of its parts is not an easy task. Perhaps it is easier on some level using aromachemicals - of that I'm not sure - but then there are sooo many aromachemicals to become acquainted with that to really come to grips with it all would surely take just as long or longer.

I'm not trying to discourage you from the DIY thing, not at all. Just trying to set realistic expectations. I know you said you don't have the time for it now, and it does take a huge amount of time (I find I spend the most time just sitting, sniffing, and analyzing what is going on with a creation.. a LOT of time actually), but it also takes a large initial investment (for a nice collection of oils I'd say you are looking at a minimum of a $2,000 investment), and real diligence and dedication.

$265 is a fair bit of money - nothing to sneeze at - but it's really on the inexpensive side of things when it comes to a bespoke perfume.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 2nd May 2009 at 10:20 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more