Code of Conduct

Question Meaning of "HABIT ROUGE"?

I did an internet "French to English" translation of "habit rouge" and it keeps coming up "red dress." Does "habit rouge" have an alternative or colloquial meaning in French?

Why call a male fragrance "red dress"?

This has probably been discussed before, but any and all answers will be gladly appreciated.

Thanks!

Default Re: Meaning of "HABIT ROUGE"?

It means "Red Jacket" as in a red hunting jacket.
    "Donít try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. Ē - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

It means red jacket.

I though that the literal translation means Red Clothe, since " Habit " is the equivalent of clothe in english.

Blog Entries

Question Re: Meaning of "HABIT ROUGE"?

I have a question. Some riders in the hunt wear red while the rest wear a dark colour, navy, I think. What does the difference in colour denote?
    Last edited by N_Tesla; 27th March 2009 at 10:47 PM.

I believe it's colloquial for hunting coats or "pinks" used by fox hunters

Quote Originally Posted by N_Tesla View Post
    I have a question. Some riders in the hunt wear red while the rest wear a dark colour, navy, I think. What does the difference in colour denote?
    Ironically it's the French that wear blue riding jackets and the English are the ones in rouge.

Quote Originally Posted by Elgar Place View Post
    I did an internet "French to English" translation of "habit rouge" and it keeps coming up "red dress." Does "habit rouge" have an alternative or colloquial meaning in French? Why call a male fragrance "red dress"?
    The word dress is being used here as part of a compound adjective, think military dress, formal dress, etc.

The word 'habit' literally means 'outfit' or 'costume' referring to an article of clothing worn for specific purposes.
    'habit de cheval', lit. 'horse costume' means 'riding habit'.
    'prendre l'habit' means 'to take the veil' ie become a nun. Of course we've borrowed the word in English in the expression 'nun's habit' to refer to the costume worn by a nun.

I was told once that a century's old French customer for a man would be to wear a red jacket when courting - ?

I don't know if that is correct for most of the advertisements for Habit Rouge show fox hunting...

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    The word dress is being used here as part of a compound adjective, think military dress, formal dress, etc.
    Thanks for the clarification ... I obviously took the word "dress" too literally, thinking it was a lady's dress. LOL. Your reasoning makes a lot of sense.

Two more points to illuminate the choice of the name "Habit Rouge": Jean-Paul Guerlain is an inveterate equestrian and Anglophile.

I have a fanciful notion that after riding one of his horses one day, he took off his classic "habit rouge" riding jacket and noticed a particularly strong animalic smell emanated from the bottom of the jacket that had come into contact with the horse's coat. He quickly determined that the strong animalic scent was a combination of the natural oils from the horse coat reacting with the natural lanolin in the wool of the red riding jacket. Hence the animalic accord of Habit Rouge was born. If it didn't happen like this, it could have.

scentemental

Last edited by scentemental; 28th March 2009 at 12:39 AM.

Thank you to all contributors for shedding light on this question (and to adrianis for the eye-catchhing ad). Great answers!

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post

Two more points to illuminate the choice of the name "Habit Rouge": Jean-Paul Guerlain is an inveterate equestrian and Anglophile.

I have a fanciful notion that after riding one of his horses one day, he took off his classic "habit rouge" riding jacket and noticed a particularly strong animalic smell emanated from the bottom of the jacket that had come into contact with the horse's coat. He quickly determined that the strong animalic scent was a combination of the natural oils from the horse coat reacting with the natural lanolin in the wool of the red riding jacket. Hence the animalic accord of Habit Rouge was born. If it didn't happen like this, it could have.

scentemental

I might even say that if it didn't happen like this, it should have. A lovely thought, scentemental. The kind of thing I'll think of time to time when I espy the bottle on my shelf. And then I'll put on a spray or three...

Regards,
    T

I love this thread, now I will always remember that "Habit Rouge" means red jacket, before reading this thread for some crazy reason I thought it meant red hat

Quote Originally Posted by lightgreen22 View Post
    I love this thread, now I will always remember that "Habit Rouge" means red jacket, before reading this thread for some crazy reason I thought it meant red hat
    .... and I was pronouncing "Habit Rouge" as "Habit Rogue" as in ....

"An unprincipled, deceitful, and unreliable person; a scoundrel or rascal.
    One who is playfully mischievous; a scamp."
    ..... LOL!!

No, you silly guys, it means a full set of red pajamas with bunny feet slippers and bunny ears hanging off the hoodie.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Hillaire

lightgreen said.... and I was pronouncing "Habit Rouge" as "Habit Rogue" as in ....

"An unprincipled, deceitful, and unreliable person; a scoundrel or rascal.
    One who is playfully mischievous; a scamp." ..... LOL!!

love that!!
    Rogue Habit would be great name for a fragrance!

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    No, you silly guys, it means a full set of red pajamas with bunny feet slippers and bunny ears hanging off the hoodie.
    And that, like habit Rouge, can sometimes be too darn sexy...

wait, what did I just say?
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by scentemental View Post

scentemental

So it was you the one who wrote that. Of course, I mean, who else?

I was searching for that story a while back, though I could not find it at that time.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

If you're a redneck, "Habit Rouge" means a woman who puts on too much blush on her face. (see thread in Off-Topic forum)