Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1

    Default Pick my new fragrance

    Hello all. So I am an 18 year old high school kid who has dabbled with cologne. I currently have Acqua Di Gio, some Abercrombie 41 that was a gift, Kouros, Body Kouros, CK Eternity, Burberry London, and Rochas Man. I can't stand adg or Kouros (urinal cakes!), and the Abercrombie has only been worn on the occasions I was with the person that gifted it to me. Body Kouros is currently what I wear daily (and has been complimented very often), and is my favorite so far. Rochas is a close second and Eternity and London tie for third (both I see as fit for certain occasions rather than a daily). I am looking for recommendations on what my next purchase should be. Any ideas? I have looked at Rive Gauche, Canali, and Hanae Mori, which I somewhat wrote off as being too similar to Rochas to consider purchase.
    Last edited by arnoldsoccer4; 28th March 2009 at 04:59 AM.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Pick my new fragrance

    Try YSL L'Homme

    Acqua Di Parma Colognia

    Burberry the Beat for Men

    You can find all of the above at Sephora.
    Last edited by adonis; 29th March 2009 at 09:40 AM.

  3. #3

    Default Re: Pick my new fragrance

    HM to me is not similar to Rochas . HM is vanilla and Rochas chocolate. i own Rive Gauch and don't really like it . so i would say HM.

  4. #4
    Dependent

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,223

    Default Re: Pick my new fragrance

    how bout some m7 boss selection, , Bvlgari Soir

  5. #5

    Default Re: Pick my new fragrance

    chanel allure sport
    drakkar noir
    dolce and gabbana pour homme
    joop thrill
    all great

  6. #6

    Default Re: Pick my new fragrance

    arnoldsoccer4, perhaps consider these :

    Canali Black Diamond edp
    Bijan Nude ( wears close to the skin)
    John Varvatos
    Burberry The Beat

  7. #7

    Default Re: Pick my new fragrance

    If you like the sweet resinous tones of body kouros you'll like Givenchy Pi maybe. Rochas man is a gourmand oriental so what I can suggest you in the same vibe (but not exactly the same to avoid the clone) is Lolita Lempicka au masculin. Ethernity is a woody-green fragrance with a fresh opening so I can suggest you to try Chanel Egoiste Platinum (more fougerish) or Cartier Declaration (more woody-aromatic)

  8. #8

    Default Re: Pick my new fragrance

    I'm going to recommend a few:

    John Varvatos--leather scent which is different than what you have worn to date
    Bvlgari Aqua pour Homme---A different take on aquatic than AdG and you might like it better, or not.
    Azzaro pour Homme---real old style 80's powerhouse scent
    Aramis Tuscany pour Uomo--a classic masculine scent

    You should be able to try these at your local mall quite easily and see if you like them.
    Happy hunting.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

  9. #9
    Dependent

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,223

    Default Re: Pick my new fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    arnoldsoccer4, perhaps consider these :

    Canali Black Diamond edp
    Bijan Nude ( wears close to the skin)
    John Varvatos
    Burberry The Beat

    hey! just wanted to know how u would rate canali black diamond (sorry to hijack this thread space)

  10. #10

    Default Re: Pick my new fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    hey! just wanted to know how u would rate canali black diamond (sorry to hijack this thread space)
    Hi Matthew,

    I have only worn my sample once so far but from what I can tell, I do like it. It really surprised me with an opening that is very similar to Cool Water. I know you are a fan of Cool Water, so you may like this. The difference is the drydown and the base of Black Diamond which seems more woodsy and I do detect leather ( which is the best part). The leather seems synthetic, but I don't mind that at all.

    Considering you live in a warm climate, I think Black Diamond would suite it very well. The longevity is OK, but not great. 5 hours to me, and then after there is only a hint of it and it gets fairly subtle. I am still contemplating a full bottle, but that is mostly due to budget. Most likely I will pick a bottle up, its just a matter of when.

  11. #11
    Dependent

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,223

    Default Re: Pick my new fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Hi Matthew,

    I have only worn my sample once so far but from what I can tell, I do like it. It really surprised me with an opening that is very similar to Cool Water. I know you are a fan of Cool Water, so you may like this. The difference is the drydown and the base of Black Diamond which seems more woodsy and I do detect leather ( which is the best part). The leather seems synthetic, but I don't mind that at all.

    Considering you live in a warm climate, I think Black Diamond would suite it very well. The longevity is OK, but not great. 5 hours to me, and then after there is only a hint of it and it gets fairly subtle. I am still contemplating a full bottle, but that is mostly due to budget. Most likely I will pick a bottle up, its just a matter of when.
    Heya, that was as comprehensive as it could get, and u got it right with weather playing a major role on frags that i can use. This is certainly one to consider after hearing what u have to say. Much appreciated bro. thanks a mil

  12. #12

    Default Re: Pick my new fragrance

    Thanks for the replies everyone. As it turns out my sister sent me Rive Gauche in the mail, and it is a bit odd, I can't place it. Not really sure if I like it or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    I'm going to recommend a few:

    John Varvatos--leather scent which is different than what you have worn to date
    Bvlgari Aqua pour Homme---A different take on aquatic than AdG and you might like it better, or not.
    Azzaro pour Homme---real old style 80's powerhouse scent
    Aramis Tuscany pour Uomo--a classic masculine scent

    You should be able to try these at your local mall quite easily and see if you like them.
    Happy hunting.
    My dad owns Aramis Tuscany, powerful stuff, can smell it for the whole day. I do like it, just not going to follow my dad. After my run in with kouros I am a bit wary of 80s powerhouses. Varvatos looks interesting, and Aqua pour Homme I have almost bought multiple times, I am not sure what is stopping me.

    Magnifiscent Lolita Lempicka is very interesting to me, I see it mentioned all the time on these boards, any other information on it? I might try out pi, seems like a love it or hate it. Eternity is lasting me well as it is an occasional scent so I don't think I will be replacing that.

    What exactly is the big fuss with m7 and Terre d' Hermes?

  13. #13

    Default Re: Pick my new fragrance

    Oh and what about Issey Miyake? Seems like a required buy for newbies.

  14. #14

    Default Re: Pick my new fragrance

    just buy versace the dreamer and be done with it... you can pick it up for next to nothing, and even after ten years it still makes women congregate and fight for the chance to do naughty things to you.... if you buy it, and i'm wrong, i will treat you to whatever bottle I have in my wardrobe... that's how sure I am that it will work
    At your service

  15. #15

    Default Re: Pick my new fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by decillisjl View Post
    just buy versace the dreamer and be done with it... you can pick it up for next to nothing, and even after ten years it still makes women congregate and fight for the chance to do naughty things to you.... if you buy it, and i'm wrong, i will treat you to whatever bottle I have in my wardrobe... that's how sure I am that it will work
    Just ordered from amazon. You're on.
    Last edited by arnoldsoccer4; 15th April 2009 at 05:04 AM.

  16. #16

    Default Re: Pick my new fragrance

    Hard to turn down an offer like that (Versace the Dreamer). That's a win-win for you isn't it? Sorry to hear about your experience with RGph, it's one of my favorites, second only to Bulgari Black, which I'd recommend but it's not for everyone. I have a certain female coworker who really likes when I wear it. I also like Bulgari's Blue Notte ph and phSoir. John Varvatos, which several people mentioned, has been a staple office scent for me. I recently picked up Azzaro ph and really like it too. Lately, I've really enjoyed Cumming, the notes are a little odd but there's nothing odd about it and it's yet another fragrance well-liked at the office. I've tried Eau d'Issey and can't say it did much for me. So, my recommendations are:

    1) Bulgari Black
    2) Azzaro ph
    3) Cumming
    4) John Varvatos
    5) Lolita Lempeckin au masculin

    Jeez! Just checked ebay, Dreamer is going for $.99 (tester).
    Last edited by cbstarker; 15th April 2009 at 05:21 AM.
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

    Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

  17. #17
    Dependent

    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    8,223

    Default Re: Pick my new fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 View Post
    Just ordered from amazon. You're on.
    I would love to see how this works out

    another thing that bugs me,do u mean to say adg and kouros are similar when it comes to your displeasure with them? ive got both too and i ditched adg for bvg aqua, but kouros is some miles away right? ure not the 1st to mention about urinal hints in Kouros, i do get cucumberish and salt-ish dry down from adg, but defo not for kouros. Im just curious to know, no biggie really.

  18. #18

    Default Re: Pick my new fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by matthewfoo View Post
    I would love to see how this works out

    another thing that bugs me,do u mean to say adg and kouros are similar when it comes to your displeasure with them? ive got both too and i ditched adg for bvg aqua, but kouros is some miles away right? ure not the 1st to mention about urinal hints in Kouros, i do get cucumberish and salt-ish dry down from adg, but defo not for kouros. Im just curious to know, no biggie really.
    I dislike both for completely different reasons. The kouros was fine when I was trying to place the smell, thought baby powder first, then came on basenotes and read urinal cakes and that is all I can smell now. Kouros dries down well if you are a few feet away, I don't know how to describe it, seemed like burnt honey to me (my nose is not to be trusted) but then I moved my arm towards my nosed and smelled a mens room again. AdG is just too cloying for me, to the point of headache. I don't mind the scent it is ok, it just attacks me.
    For sale/trade: Kouros 100ml 99%, Acqua di Gio 50ml 60%, Rive Gauche 100ml 95%, Burberry Weekend 50ml 99%, YSL Jazz 100ml 99%.

  19. #19

    Default Re: Pick my new fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 View Post
    Magnifiscent Lolita Lempicka is very interesting to me, I see it mentioned all the time on these boards, any other information on it? I might try out pi, seems like a love it or hate it. Eternity is lasting me well as it is an occasional scent so I don't think I will be replacing that.

    What exactly is the big fuss with m7 and Terre d' Hermes?
    Lolita Lempicka Au Masculin is a anise/liquorice based scent, with a green ivy opening and a sweet vanillic drydown, that's why you might like it maybe. Sillage and longevity are usually good.
    Pi, even many people classify it as a vanilla scent, it's more about benzoin and resins with a slight vanillic smooth base. It can turn too sirupy if you don't have the right skin chem, but I suppose you might have it since you use Body Kouros.
    Terre d'Hermès is totally different: astringent bitter orange opening over a vetiver heart and a salty mineral musky base.
    M7 is an aoud based oriental, with a kind of hairy chested vibe, thick and woody with a more herbal opening and a sweet drydown. Again it can turn cloying medicinal on the wrong skin chem. try them and let us know your impressions maybe.

  20. #20

    Default Re: Pick my new fragrance

    I went to the mailbox and saw the package for me. "Oh good" I thought "my new cologne has arrived and if I hate it I can possibly trade it for the amen I have been interested in for a while. Then I sprayed it on my arm, "not bad" I thought at first. Then two hours later, the glorious drydown of the versace came through, and I knew it was a winner.
    For sale/trade: Kouros 100ml 99%, Acqua di Gio 50ml 60%, Rive Gauche 100ml 95%, Burberry Weekend 50ml 99%, YSL Jazz 100ml 99%.

  21. #21

    Default Re: Pick my new fragrance

    awesome!!! now you need to test it out with the fairer sex... if you think YOU like it, wait until THEY smell it... i'll be waiting for the thank you card haha
    At your service

  22. #22

    Default Re: Pick my new fragrance

    212 Men Carolina Herrera or Lacoste Pour Homme.
    Bijan, you are one of the greats!

  23. #23

    Default Re: Pick my new fragrance

    Quote Originally Posted by arnoldsoccer4 View Post
    Magnifiscent Lolita Lempicka is very interesting to me, I see it mentioned all the time on these boards, any other information on it?
    I have both Lolita's men fragrances. One I purchased, one received for free . I'll give you my opinion on them
    Lolita Lempicka au Masculin - the original


    Well, this one smell like hot mint hard candy to me. Really sweet and heavy at first then dry down to a wonderful olive/vanilla scent. If you have tried Bvlgari Black then the dry down of this one smell really similar. Richer, deeper, more olive, more interesting, minus slightly salty smell the Black to me is kinda boring and water-down compare to this. The longevity is really good 24+ hours
    It's not very suitable for hot weather because of the mint candy effect. Apply slightly might do.

    Lolita Lempicka Au Maculin Fraicheur - The fresh version

    You take the mint candy effect away from the original then you have this one. This one is really woody, smell like you're wondering in a forest at night. Slightly metrosexual. I actually like this better because it's more wearable, love you instantly and more suitable for hot weather in my place. This one is the one I purchase. 12+ hours longevity.

    Hope this help

    By the way, if sometimes you want to have fun and smell like Coke then give this one a chance

    Escada Magnetism for Men
    It smells like real Coke. Great longevity. Great sillage. This one for me is weird. I love it when I wear it. Then I get bored of it. then I wear it again and love it again. Suitable for night out
    Last edited by jasonx; 27th April 2009 at 06:26 PM.

Similar Threads

  1. Any civet fans out there?
    By costello in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 73
    Last Post: 27th November 2013, 08:10 PM
  2. Best Fragrance From Macys
    By leor_77 in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 17th October 2012, 02:22 AM
  3. mega-compilation of mini-reviews [part 2!]
    By Leifer in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 19th March 2009, 10:50 AM
  4. As per request...Info on becoming a F.C.S.S. A Fragrance Expert!
    By TheRomantic in forum Male Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 20th April 2008, 04:06 PM
  5. Help me pick a fragrance for my girl...Flowerbomb?
    By samplermike in forum Female Fragrance Discussion
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 14th April 2008, 06:55 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  



Loving perfume on the Internet since 2000