Code of Conduct

Default BMM09: The Road to The Final Spritz Fragrant Four Game 1 Recap

Somerville Metro Man here courtside at the O-Rena in Basenotes City and as you can see I’m surrounded by a lot of jubilant fans wearing turbans. That should give you a clue to our first finalist in this year’s tournament. Let’s go back to the beginning when seventh seeded Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan, the only non-Guerlain scent in the Fragrant Four, faced off against the Cinderella of this year’s tournament thirteenth seeded Guerlain Mouchoir de Monsieur.
    MdM had made a habit of getting out to early leads and holding them on their march to the Fragrant Four. Ambre Sultan looked determined to keep that from happening and right from the opening spritz you could see that Ambre Sultan was playing lockdown defense on MdM keeping them from having an open spray as they played their “box and one” defense. On the other end Ambre Sultan was getting open sprays and they were knocking them down so that they held a six point lead after the first quarter, 30-24. The second quarter was more of the same as MdM couldn’t find open sprays and even when they did Ambre Sultan reduced it to a dribble on the nozzle. As a result Ambre Sultan extended their lead and went into halftime up eleven, 49-38. At the start of the second half MdM had found a solution to Ambre Sultan’s defense by managing to toss the insert in the box away. They were finding open high-percentage sprays and closed the gap to six halfway through the third. Ambre Sultan then switched tactics and upped the tempo causing an already tired MdM to try and respond but with sprays raining down on both sides of the court Ambre Sultan pushed their lead back to eleven after three, 54-43. With that exertion both scents had clearly begun to lose their sillage and the fourth quarter was a drab exercise as MdM couldn’t find enough in the bottle to mount one last charge and The Sultan had just enough in their bottle to keep pace and close out the victory, 61-50. After a magical run the clock finally strikes midnight for Mouchoir de Monsieur and Cinderella has left the ball. For Ambre Sultan the party continues for one last game as they are the first team in The Final Spritz. One thing we know is they’ll be facing another Guerlain in The Final Spritz as the winner of Habit Rouge versus Vetiver awaits. The golden turbaned fans of Ambre Sultan are happy, and the anti-Guerlain fans are happy that it won’t be an all-Guerlain Final Spritz.
    Game 2 will get underway here at the O-Rena after these messages.
    Keep voting and watching as only you have the ability to determine the winner.
    I'll see you back here on The Road to The Final Spritz
    Somerville Metro Man….out!
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Blog Entries

Default Re: BMM09: The Road to The Final Spritz Fragrant Four Game 1 Recap

Thanks for the recap! Although my faves have been benched, it looks like it's going to be a great final game, either way. For me, it's great scent versus great house. Not even sure who I'll be pulling for. March Madness, indeed!!!

Any Guerlain against Amber Sultan will win in my book...

Basenotes Institution

((waving the Ambre Sultan flag))