Code of Conduct

Default Which Annick Goutal ?

I plan to buy an Annick Goutal fragrance, maybe two (good deal, long story). In the past I've worn Eau de Sud, Eau d'Hadrien and still wear Neroli. However lately I've been seduced by much more girly floral fragrances (DK Gold, Franciso Rodriguez for Her, Fracas, OJ Fragipani, Iris Nobile) and my standard fresh greens just aren't doing it for me (Jo Malone Lime, Basil, Mandarin). I'm not fond of overly sweet, foodie scents, but otherwise am pretty open.

Any suggestions?

Default Re: Which Annick Goutal ?

I like Narciso Rodriguez For her and OJ Frangipani too. As you like DK Gold and Fracas I'd suggest Songes which has frangipani but I don't think it is has any similarity to the Ormonde Jayne fragrance, others may disagree. Maybe you'd also like Passion, sophisticated with tuberose, jasmine and vanilla, or Quel Amour! very bright and girly with roses and peonies. Happy searching!

Welcome, ScentRed! I suggest Ce Soir ou Jamais, and perhaps Grand Amour, and for warmer weather Eau de Ciel as floral-hearty Annick Goutals. Since you mention that a lot of your wardrobe features green notes, Eau de Camille is another one you might love.

Happy hunting! Let us know what you find and what delights you.

It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

ComDiva and chaelaran1008, thank-you for your suggestions!

Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva View Post
    Welcome, ScentRed! I suggest Ce Soir ou Jamais, and perhaps Grand Amour, and for warmer weather Eau de Ciel as floral-hearty Annick Goutals. Since you mention that a lot of your wardrobe features green notes, Eau de Camille is another one you might love.

Thanks, ComDiva, for suggesting the rarely-mentioned Eau de Camille. I find it floral, feminine and fresh green.

My favourite AGs are Grand Amour, Eau de Camille, Le Chevrefeuille and Heure Exquise. I own a bottle of Le Chevrefeuille, but would happily own the rest too if expense were no object!

Grand Amour is a bit like Chamade - floral but fresh and a bit sharp, Eau de Camille a watery green, Le Chevrefeuille a lemony / tomato stemmy honeysuckle, and Heure Exquise a lovely iris / rose / woody combo.
    "So many scents, so little skin"...

http://bonkersaboutperfume.blogspot.com/

I'd suggest Songes. But keep it away from white clothing - it stains.
    "I don't know the key to success,
    but the key to failure is trying to please everybody."
    Bill Cosby

I own and love many of the Annick Goutals already mentioned but one of my favorites is Folavril. I don't know of anything that smells quite like it. Annick Goutal lists the notes as: Mango, Tomato Leaves, Jasmine and Boronia flower. It always makes me feel like it's Spring when I wear it.

Well I made it to the store to day for an AG snifforama. I was breathless with anticipation waiting to try Songes. I've heard so many passionate, evocative reviews that I was eager to experience it. However - I don't love it. I admire it, but there's a cardamom-like vanilla that just doesn't sit well with me. The big surprise for me was Eau de Sud. I was sure that I'd outgrown this one, but it was love at first scent - like an old friend that you spend 10 minutes with and feel like you've never been apart. I felt sun-kissed and refreshed just smelling it, which says a lot given the terrible winter we've had in Ontario this year. I also tried Eau de Camille, Le Chevrefeuille and Eau de Ciel but with Sud and Songes in the room these girls couldn't get a word in edge-wise. I will try these again with fresh arms and an open mind. Maybe Folavril too - sounds intriguing. The quest continues...
    Last edited by ScentRed; 30th March 2009 at 01:57 AM.

Heure Exquise is glorious, truly a fabulous scent.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

Welcome ScentRed
    one that hasn't yet been mentioned
    and yet one I really love is
    Eau de Charlotte
    Autumn treasures: Magnetism, Midnight Orchid, Tea for Two,
    Aimez-Moi, Chinatown, Dzongkha, Five O'Clock Au Gingembre,
    Cittá di Kyoto, Jasmin de Nuit, Jasmin Full, Kelly Calèche, Venezia,
    Douce Amère, Eau de Charlotte, Falling In Love, Chergui, Prada,
    Rose Alexandrie, Hypnôse, Omnia, Flowerbomb, Poivre Piquant,
    Cuir Beluga, 7:15am in Bali, Lolita Lempicka, Fumerie Turque,
    Datura Noir, Songes, Gaultier², L'Ombre Fauve, Kors, My Couture,
    Ligea "La Sirena", Red Aoud, Rose Absolu, Cèdre, Milk, No. 23

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bending backwards is like falling in love, come bend with me

The mind is like a drunken monkey, it constantly jumps here and there.

Swami Niranjan-ananda

"Our life is shaped by our mind; we become what we think."
    Dhammapada

Mmm. Another for the list. Thank-you!

If you can wait a month or two, you might want to try out Matin d'Orage, her latest. It's an ozonic, green-ish gardenia that's very pretty.
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

If you like soliflores, Rose Absolue is a gem. I find it very feminine and sensuous without being cloying, sweet, or heavy.
    Les Nuits d'Hadrien is much more interesting than the shaprper, flatter, Eau d'Hadrien.
    These two are amongst my very favourite perfumes. I use the eau de parfum of both, and they last all day.

After my previous love affair with Songes I now find it heavy going and it chokes me. I hope I will rediscover the Songes love again in good time. Likewise Eau de Sud, my first ever Goutal, and bought in a freezing Moscow winter. I adored it, but now it smells of nothing but sweat.

Perhaps my nose deserves a good rest.

I simply love Heure exquise, and the ambers in her line.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Yes, do try that one, and Grand Amour if you have the strength on your next sniffing round!

Grand Amour and Rose Absolue also sound beautiful and would balance things out nicely if I went with Eau de Sud for bottle #1. I'll give them a try. Thank you!

L'Heure Exquise was, for me, like Songes only in that it was lovely and intriguing but had a note or two that made me a bit uneasy.

My desire to try Un Matin D'Orage is what started this hunt. The AG SA in Toronto told me several weeks ago that it would be available in the end of March and now has no idea if/when they'll get it. To offset my utter devastation, she offered me a 3 for the price of 2 special. And here I am...

Quote Originally Posted by Sestra View Post
    If you like soliflores, Rose Absolue is a gem. I find it very feminine and sensuous without being cloying, sweet, or heavy.
    Les Nuits d'Hadrien is much more interesting than the shaprper, flatter, Eau d'Hadrien.
    These two are amongst my very favourite perfumes. I use the eau de parfum of both, and they last all day.

After my previous love affair with Songes I now find it heavy going and it chokes me. I hope I will rediscover the Songes love again in good time. Likewise Eau de Sud, my first ever Goutal, and bought in a freezing Moscow winter. I adored it, but now it smells of nothing but sweat.

Perhaps my nose deserves a good rest.
    I haven't tried Les Nuits, having grown tired of Eau d'Hadrien, but now you have me intrigued. Funny how frags we once loved can leave us cold or irritated at a later time. Thanks for the suggestions!

And the winners are: Le Chevrefeuille and Eau de Sud with Eau de Camille a very close and equally beautiful runner-up that's now at the top of my wish list.

Thanks to everyone for your guidance and opinions!

Nostalgie (and anybody else)--I read that Heure Exquise is similar to Chanel No. 19. Do you agree?

I went to Nordstrom's today, and they did not have this one. Grr.
    Last edited by Asha; 27th April 2009 at 02:03 AM.

Yes, Asha, I find them similar, with l'Heure exquise being much softer around the edges.

I have only compared LHE to Chanel 19 EDP, vintage--I don't know how it compares to Chanel 19 EDT.
    I have to admit, I have grown to prefer l'Heure exquise to Chanel 19--but that says more about me than it does about the scents.]

I hope you'll do an arm-to-arm comparison for us!

I would be happy to send you a sample. I have a full bottle of L'Heure exquise.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 27th April 2009 at 11:44 AM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Quote Originally Posted by tdi View Post
    I own and love many of the Annick Goutals already mentioned but one of my favorites is Folavril. I don't know of anything that smells quite like it. Annick Goutal lists the notes as: Mango, Tomato Leaves, Jasmine and Boronia flower. It always makes me feel like it's Spring when I wear it.
    As an aside, have you ever tried Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier's Fraiche Passiflore? It smells quite similar to Flovaril.

Quote Originally Posted by ScentRed View Post
    And the winners are: Le Chevrefeuille and Eau de Sud with Eau de Camille a very close and equally beautiful runner-up that's now at the top of my wish list.

Thanks to everyone for your guidance and opinions!
    Wheeeee! Very pleased you found some new scents to love from the line!