Code of Conduct

Default Acqua Classica Borsari

How does Acqua Classica Borsari compare to Acqua di Parma Colonia?

Default Re: Acqua Classica Borsari

Acqua Classica Borsari is sort of an EDT version of the classic citrus cologne like Acqua di Parma, which is quite high-end in the cologne field. ACB can't compete for beauty or refinement, but it is not really the same kind of fragrance even though they are both citruses. ACB doesn't have the clarity or definition of AdP and its herbals - thyme and sage - are warmer and less distinct than the rosemary of AdP. ACB goes through a rather typical evolution of pyramid steps including a drydown of leather, vetiver and moss that lasts a few hours while AdP concentrates on the purity of a short lasting clean citrus / rosemary accord extended into the purity of a rose note and a light, comparatively shorter lasting white musk drydown.

Acqua Classica Borsai is competent, pleasant, and longer lasting. Acqua di Parma is beautifully clear, wonderfully refined and shorter lasting.

Oh, and Acqua di Parma is a heck of a lot more expensive than Acqua Classica Borsari.
    Last edited by foetidus; 29th March 2009 at 06:34 PM. Reason: final thought

Yes, A di P is a more refined product with better ingredients in a cleaner blend. A C de B has a sharper lemon note up front, a much more generalised citrus accord lacking the sublime rose of AdP and a leathery drydown. It has a prominent sage note to my nose.

I like them both very much but use them differently. AdP is a quality cologne I use when I want something subtle and beautiful to wear out of the house, it lasts well for me. ACdB gets splashed on liberally when I need a lift in the evening at home, or gets drizzled in the bath.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 29th March 2009 at 06:44 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Thank you for your replies.
    I am also wondering whether there is a difference in the cologne in the yellow labeled bottles and the olive label bottles, shown here:

http://www.beautyencounter.com/brand...ari-parma.html

Is the olive labeled cologne an older batch?

I agree with what's been said so far. Borsari is a simple, citrus-herbal scent. It is greener, drier and not as "round" as Parma. I really like Borsari, it has a simple Mediterranean flair. I don't know the meaning of the olive vs. yellow labels, all the products that I have are in olive.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

As far as I know the yellow label is more recent. You can get 300ml bottles of this for around $40 and yes, it is different, and I would say vastly inferior to AdP, but as hirch said, it has its purpose.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

I think this is the new version (if I don't mistake)
    and I would like to know if this is lighter or has less longevity than the older version?

I have only worn the Borsari once; AdP Colonia scores of times - it is probably my favorite fragrance.

That stated, Acqua Classica made a positive initial impression on me. One has to like lemon and leather as these provide dominant themes, but if one does, it is certainly worth exploring.