Code of Conduct

Default riverside drive or chez bond?

hey all,

just got back from new york and picked up a new bottle of brooklyn from the bond house. I have seriously been struggling to pick my next one from this line, i really love bleecker, ---i own this one, and i would like to add either chez bond or riverside drive next to my collection, but not sure that owning both really would be justified.
    For some reason i actually find chez bond more pleasing than green irish tweed, I'm a college student and feel chez is more modern and youthful.

Can any of you people offer me suggestions or help guide my next purchase from this house. Would you please profile in your opinion where these fragrances would be most wearable at --- e.g work, night out, everyday, date, or what have you.

Both of them are just very solid "nice smelling" fragrances and its almost refreshing to have something like that when ive spent the last year or so getting my hands on such unique very limited use type frags. Neither of them seem super unique , but they are both very pleasing to my nose .

any help would be awesome, thanks,

Blog Entries

Default Re: riverside drive or chez bond?

I own Riverside Drive, Wall Street, and Brooklyn in FB. I own the "bon-bon box" of many others. I am seriously interested in Chez Bond and Coney Island.

Riverside Drive is nice, but I can't wear it that often. It's a strong scent that I'm not comfortable wearing in public any time. Chez Bond seems lighter and more versatile to me. I also think that Chez Bond would feel nicer in hot weather, whereas Riverside Drive seems overbearing when the heat becomes oppressive. But Riverside Drive is very distinctive, and for the right person, I think it could be a signature scent. I think that Brooklyn is actually something in between these two, which is partly what I like about it.

That's my $0.02 - hope it helps!

I love Riverside but it is strong do not need to go over 2-3 sprays, anything more and can kill the room.

But I find I have got noticed and got more then a few compliments. I find it is unique out of the Bond line and it is great for spring/fall

I just picked up Coney Island for the Summer, I am loving it as well. Lasts very long

Oh my god riverside drive all the way. I had chez bond for about a week before I returned it. Both are cheaper (about 100 US) on ebay, and chez bond was too sweet and powdery for me. Its kinda weak and feminine, and is missing the sharpness and class of GIT, but Riverside Drive is AMAZING. It is probably the best and most distinct masculine from the bond house, and I dont find it to be oppressive at all. Girls unequivocally love it, I've gotten numerous outright compliments, and let me share a story with you:

So me and my girlfriend are in bed, having a good romp, and she stops me in the middle of it to ask:

"what are you wearing? it smells SO good"

If thats not the ultimate compliment, I dont know what is. Now, she likes several of my colognes, a few of them she likes a lot, but thats the only one thats ever elicited that reaction from her. Suffice it to say that from now on I will always have a bottle of the River-water.

Just dont judge it at first spray, i have found (and this seems to be true with most EDP's in general) that fragrances of higher concentration come on really strong and sharp and a bit garbled, so let it dry down before you draw a conclusion on it. But seriously, RSD trumps Chez bond absolutely. It is more confident, more disctinct, more sexy, and WAY more masculine, and all of these things without being sleazy, thick, or cloying, and still acceptable for more formal situations.

Other than RSD, the only outright winner from Bond is wall street, which is wonderfully watery (although some people dont like its metallic "money" note), though its a different kind of fragrance altogether. I have yet to try another bond that I have loved so much I bought a bottle right away. Can you tell us something about brooklyn?
    Last edited by DerangedGoose; 29th March 2009 at 05:44 AM.

My vote would be for Riverside. Great sillage and longevity, so just a few sprays should do it, especially in warmer weather. I have found Chez Bond somewhat underwhelming.

As for Chez Bond, many here will draw a comparison to Green Irish Tweed. I never got that completely. But if there is a connection, I would go with GIT, which to me seems more lively.

at my last visit to bond i was really impressed with both west broadway and bowery,

i think both under the radar bond scents,

bowery had one of the most electric fizzy lime openings i have ever smelled, it seems like it would be a great summer frag. This may eventually replace my eau d' orange verte from hermes due to superior limey lasting power.

one of my concerns with chez bond, is that will many people just assume i am bathing in cool water when i wear this, I dont want to be like one of the billion people out there that the only frag they own is cool water and you smell it everyday. I cant say i remember how close these two smell, but I can only imagine having to correct people when they ask me if im wearing cool water.

brooklyn to me smells like a very pure and natural grapefruit over the top of a gin and tonic type smell and then down into a more evergreen like scent say hinoki or something of the like, but its always very bright and refreshing even with the woody base ---- its a rather strange fragrance , it will be a nice choice for spring/summer

Quote Originally Posted by funraiser18 View Post
    My vote would be for Riverside. Great sillage and longevity, so just a few sprays should do it, especially in warmer weather. I have found Chez Bond somewhat underwhelming.

As for Chez Bond, many here will draw a comparison to Green Irish Tweed. I never got that completely. But if there is a connection, I would go with GIT, which to me seems more lively.
    Honestly I dont find chez and GIT all that similar. Chez is a lot more powdery and sweet, while GIT is more herbal and green. I suppose they are in the same vein though

Quote Originally Posted by chuckpolzin View Post
    brooklyn to me smells like a very pure and natural grapefruit over the top of a gin and tonic type smell and then down into a more evergreen like scent say hinoki or something of the like, but its always very bright and refreshing even with the woody base ---- its a rather strange fragrance , it will be a nice choice for spring/summer
    that sounds awesome! Ill have to give it a try. Too bad there's only samples on ebay right now.
    Last edited by DerangedGoose; 29th March 2009 at 05:53 AM.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DerangedGoose View Post
    So me and my girlfriend are in bed, having a good romp, and she stops me in the middle of it to ask:

"what are you wearing? it smells SO good"
    LOL!

That's awesome. Not totally surprising, either... one of the other BN romeos (acceptfacts) swears by the stuff, and his recommendation is part of why I bought it. My wife likes it quite a bit, too.

Yes - that's a great description. I was wondering how to describe the woody aspect, and I think you've nailed it with evergreen/Hinoki.

I really enjoy it, but it's definitely not as assertive as Riverside Drive or Wall Street. I just find myself using more sprays. I do find it to be a fairly unique masculine. It's a different take on citrus/wood than, say, TdH, which I also love. I don't regret my FB at all, although I sniffed it multiple times before I made the commitment. The first few sniffs, I simply wasn't getting it.

Hi, I'm a teacher, if my students use RSD, perhaps, their marks will be a little better
    And the next step - try New Haarlem for the winter time
    Last edited by emjani; 29th March 2009 at 08:05 AM. Reason: foreign language mistake

Riverside get my vote and you should consider New Harlem and Westside

Chez Bond. I got a bottle when it first came out, so my bottle is a little different than the others (it's the same bottle, the insignia and logo are on the lower right hand as opposed to dead center). I also have a very large decant of Riverside (well over one ounce that they gave me when I purchased another Bond at Saks). I still where Chez and agree it's a more versatile, rounded GIT (not as sharp), but I never touch Riverside. Pineapple and herbs aren't my thing. If you want something similar to Riverside Drive, I would highly recommend hunting down a bottle of Polo Crest--It's smoother, more classy, and less expensive (and perhaps more exclusive since it's been discontinued).

Interesting thread. I had to choose between Riverside Drive and Bleecker Street once, a long time ago and I chose Riverside Drive. While I didn't (and don't) hate Riverside Drive, I'm now sure I would have preferred to get Bleecker Street.

Riverside Drive is a forceful frag, to be sure. It reminds me and my wife of Dior's Fahrenheit, that engine oil, diesel tone but with a fruity (Pineapple) complement. Like I said, I like it but I'd choose Chez Bond or Bleecker Street over it.
    De gustibus non est disputandum

Out of the two, I would choose Riverside Drive.

how does owning bleecker already impact the choice between riverside and chez, i get quite a bit of similarity between bleecker and riverside in the top , it seems that chez maybe fits in better with bleecker as far as covering more ground but I'm all ears, what do you think about the three of them if you had to take 2, does this change anything?

I really do not think bleecker is close to riverside at all

if anything bleecker and riverside are my two favorite bonds

next after that are

Coney Island
    Lexington Ave
    Gramercy Ave
    Central Park

and I have sampled the entire line several times

how does owning bleecker already impact the choice between riverside and chez, i get quite a bit of similarity between bleecker and riverside in the top , it seems that chez maybe fits in better with bleecker as far as covering more ground but I'm all ears, what do you think about the three of them if you had to take 2, does this change anything?
    I dont find bleecker and riverside all that similar, to be honest. Perhaps they share a similar "Green" accord (bleecker has a prominent violet leaf note) but they take markedly different paths. Bleecker is almost floral and bitter. All three are versatile, if thats what you are looking for. Perhaps you should consider whether you prefer heavier, more powdery and sweet fragrances or more masculine, fresh/green/citrus/spicy fragrances, perhaps with a slight aquatic tinge (I LOVE aquatics, and I wouldn't really consider RSD aquatic at all, though it has some of those attributes).

The only way to really decide is to give both a full wearing, see how you feel, and ask others (girls) around you.

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    I really do not think bleecker is close to riverside at all

if anything bleecker and riverside are my two favorite bonds

next after that are

Coney Island
    Lexington Ave
    Gramercy Ave
    Central Park

and I have sampled the entire line several times
    gramercy is a WONDERFUL green frag, though a tad feminine (or so I've been told, so I gave it to my girlfriend)

I just went through the exact same thing as mentioned above. I picked up Riverside Drive for my first Bond fragrance and went back two weeks later and purchased B. Street. I really liked the Riverside at first but as I wore it I became bored with the scent and felt it too strong and overpowering.

i actually have made a full turnaround on Riverside drive....for many months i couldnt understand what the fuss was about because the sharp and slightly bitter cucumber note overwhelmed the wonderful aroma woods/greens and fruits.....however now i appreciate it so much more as the bitterness and the 'power' of the cucmber note has completely dissipated on me and i've learned to find it so much more easy-going and enjoyable....

chez bond is a sweeter, calmer version of GIT......there is certain specific edge to it which goes on much smoother...i would almost describe it as silkier/creamier than GIT and probably much more useful in the hotter months.....goes on great with open sleeves and warm air as i believe chez bond suffers alot in the cold weather due to limited sillage and longivity and is trumped easily by GIT in the colder air........

however if you dont have bleecker Street I would have to put my 100% vote behind Bleecker first, second and foremost........I dont care what anyone sais the blend of notes in Bleecker street is not only incredibly unique but amazing in its complexity yet beautiful simplicity......if you want to define for yourself the perfect definition of what a wonderful niche frgarance is supposed to be like and why it stands out from designer lines than dont go any further than Bleecker street. It has a combination of notes like Violet, Cassis, and Thyme thrown in the background of Woods, Violet and Jasmine......i never thought i would find a perfect combination of floral notes thrown in with woods, spices and citrus in which one wouldnt overwhelm the other and yet wouldnt jumble the notes either....until i found Bleecker street.... longevity is incredible(and as it dries down you will literally fall in love with the scent more and more).....P.S great attention getter and like most Bond's even better in the warm weather.
    CDG 3 (The one you CAN'T find anywhere) for trade.
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

My Blog: www.BLAMEURPARENTS.com

IMHO Bleecker Street is THE masterpiece in the Bond line. Absolutely unique, powerful, sexy, fresh, versatile blah blah blah. It is the only frag I have that can get unsolicited compliments. I have had a sample of Riverside Drive for over a year now. At first I thought it was retched, it smelled like nothing other than basil, :shudder:. As time has gone on I have noticed the other notes more and more and with that it has gotten better and better. But, saying that, now I don't find it as unpleasant, I just find it sort of boring and the drydown is slightly generic. If you do like Riverside Drive though I recommend seeking out and trying Ulrich Lang's Anvers 2, which if my memory serves me right, reminded me of a slightly smoother and toned down Riverside Drive.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 2nd April 2009 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    LOL!

That's awesome. Not totally surprising, either... one of the other BN romeos (acceptfacts) swears by the stuff, and his recommendation is part of why I bought it. My wife likes it quite a bit, too.

=) that brought a smile to my face....."basenotes romeo"....

P.S if you like aquatics you must give Coney Island a full wearing or two.....for my money the most unique aquatic out there(without the annoying saltwater note)......to me its a much sharper -limier/pineapple/coconut version of VIW with a real oomph to it and sillage and longevity for days....

if i'm going tropical/beach - coney Island is almost always my pick
    Full 4 oz Bottle of Silver Mountain Water(95% full) for trade(purchased at Nordstrom not online). PM me for details.

Quote Originally Posted by acceptfacts View Post
    =) that brought a smile to my face....."basenotes romeo"....

P.S if you like aquatics you must give Coney Island a full wearing or two.....for my money the most unique aquatic out there(without the annoying saltwater note)......to me its a much sharper -limier/pineapple/coconut version of VIW with a real oomph to it and sillage and longevity for days....

if i'm going tropical/beach - coney Island is almost always my pick
    I love the smell of Coney Island but not sure if I am getting longevity that I should be compared to Riverside or Bleecker...I swear it is vanishing after 3-4 hours..or maybe I am just becoming anosmic
    Last edited by denec; 2nd April 2009 at 04:59 PM.

You seem to be leaning towards Chez Bond already....

I've tried to like Riverside Drive, but it just turns really sour and unpleasant on my skin....

FYI Brooklyn would be perfect for summer.

Quote Originally Posted by denec View Post
    I love the smell of Coney Island but not sure if I am getting longevity that I should be compared to Riverside or Bleecker...I swear it is vanishing after 3-4 hours..or maybe I am just becoming anosmic

i think probably latter is the case....because on my skin everything dissapears wayyy too fast but coney island is easily detected 6-8 hours later without even bringing my hand to my nose.

Riverside Dr. GIT is more refined than Chez, IMO. Maybe you should branch outside of Bond territory, check out some other niche. There are so many discoveries to be had!

im convinced on getting bleecker after extensive testing now and great reviews,

however i still am not really sure whether i like riverside or chez better, I find chez to be different enough from GIT that I could justify it. I actually wasnt that impressed with GIT suprisingly , but I like Chez's creamier softer quality as somebody mentioned above. My concern is how different is this juice from cool water. I cant remember the last time i actually sprayed some cool water but i know how played out it is and i really dont want to be seen as bathing in cool water like some guy that never stopped buying a bottle every year since its inception.

Is chez noticeably different from cool water or will the average person automatically go , hey whats with all the cool water ???

i really dont want that from a 200 dollar bottle of juice. I love chez but if its that close to cool water, its the same reason i wouldnt buy MI from creed, i don't want people to think im wearing sean jean , i know thats shallow and whatever but its just me.

im convinced on getting bleecker after extensive testing now and great reviews,

however i still am not really sure whether i like riverside or chez better, I find chez to be different enough from GIT that I could justify it. I actually wasnt that impressed with GIT suprisingly , but I like Chez's creamier softer quality as somebody mentioned above. My concern is how different is this juice from cool water. I cant remember the last time i actually sprayed some cool water but i know how played out it is and i really dont want to be seen as bathing in cool water like some guy that never stopped buying a bottle every year since its inception.

Is chez noticeably different from cool water or will the average person automatically go , hey whats with all the cool water ???

i really dont want that from a 200 dollar bottle of juice. I love chez but if its that close to cool water, its the same reason i wouldnt buy MI from creed, i don't want people to think im wearing sean jean , i know thats shallow and whatever but its just me.

cool water is much closer to GIT than it is to chez. Chez is much sweeter and more powdery (and more feminine). These are traits I dont particularly care for in mens fragrances if they are fairly prominent (which they are in chez) but if thats your cup of tea, go for it. As far as buying goes, I recommend ebay. 100 ml bottles run about the 100 dollar range and I have bought several from various sellers at this point. All were fine and authentic, NIB. There are no fake bonds.