Code of Conduct

Post What is the #1 Frag a woman should own?

Since I am just starting out in this addiction I have to ask: What fragrance should every woman own? I am open to both men and women's suggestions. Now I must say that I love perfumes that will last a while, nothing worse than one that won't stay on ten minutes. I would like to still smell it on me hours later. I have a slight sampling addiction, so likely I will write the list down and check them out. Plus other noobs might like to know. So let me know guys. Help me expand my pathetic little wardrobe! I won't buy unless I love, and right now I don't know what is lovely except for what little I have already found. So make me a list of the greatest of the great!

Hillaire

Default Re: What is the #1 Frag a woman should own?

This will be provocative!!! And surely there are many you should TRY, (as decants) to get you started. And its truly all in the nose of the beholder, etc...

But, since I always learn the most from/ get the most from the "classics", I am going to say:
    Y by Ysl

It's a masterpiece and a fine example of what a perfume and a chypre can do/ be. It's much easier to love that some other big classics, and I cannot imagine not owning it!

Eight years ago, I'd have said Rive Gauche, but I don't think the reformulation stands up to the honor.

as generic as it sounds I still can't get over how amazing a woman smells while wearing Lagerfeld's Sun Moon Stars... there's just something in it, when mixed with the right skin chemistry, that drives me absolutely nuts
    At your service

Blog Entries

Shalimar. I really, really can't imagine there is anyone on whom this is anything less than splendidly gorgeous. I will always own a bit of this.

Also, every woman should at least try Chanel No. 5. Maybe it works for you, maybe not! (It doesn't work for me.)
    Eddie: Sweetie, what are you drinking?
    Patsy: Oh, this? Chanel No. 5.
    -- Absolutely Fabulous

Hmmm...Sun Moon Stars, I wore and wore and wore that during high school. I think I wore it out! I did like it so much when I was a younger girl. I don't know how I'd feel about it now. Time to try it out again?

Oh oops, forgot something. I've heard Chanel #19 and 22 mentioned before. What is the difference and which are worthwhile?

Chanel No. 19 was creamy and green, and not very nice to me. No. 5...meh...I'd like to try Eau Premiere; I think that one might suit me better. I like the aldehydes a lot, but its florals don't ever come to life on me. No. 22 is the single most rapturous liquid ever to grace my skin, and the single most beautiful aroma to ever grace my nose. It has aldehydes similar to No. 5, and creamy, rich flowers dancing with liturgical incense.

--from another noob

Shalimar and No 5, also Joy and L'air du Temps should not be overlooked.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

As a man who rarely wears women's fragrances, the two that I hear the most about are Shalimar and No. 5. So like Brielle87, I'd expect them to be classic wardrobe staples.
    Last edited by L'Aventurier; 26th March 2009 at 05:17 AM.
    Sales thread here

I don't believe in owning anything just because this is something "every woman should own." But I'm totally on board with a list that "every woman should try." I agree with Shalimar and No 5 then. I'm glad I tried Shalimar (and I'm slowly exploring other Guerlain mainstays), but No 5 was not for me -- too many aldehydes, which smell like soap to my nose. I'm yet to try Joy.

So it's all very individual. And try before you buy!

D&G light blue!!!!!!

Chanel's Coco Madmoiselle is the most spectacular fragrance I have ever smelled on a woman. Certainly worth a try.

Quote Originally Posted by an_oud_girl View Post
    Shalimar. I really, really can't imagine there is anyone on whom this is anything less than splendidly gorgeous. I will always own a bit of this.
    Shalimar is not splendidly gorgeous on me. In fact it's quite hideous! I was very disappointed as I had so wanted to love it, and it seemed right up my alley according to the reviews. I got a sample from Sephora and excitedly sprayed it on. For the first hour or so it smelled harsh and lemony, like furniture polish. Then it mellowed into the scent of baby wipes. I never got any vanilla. I don't know if there's something wrong with my skin or something wrong with my nose, but I really disliked it on me. I'll try it again before giving it up as a lost cause though.

Anyway, to the original poster, I don't think there is any one fragrance that every woman should own. There are several classics that "every woman should" try (and you will get a good list in this thread), but no one fragrance will work on everyone. I've tried several of the Chanels, a couple of the Guerlains and the Diors, but so far I haven't loved any of the classic, "must try" perfumes.

But it is certainly fun to try and see what everyone is talking about!

I agree too with Shalimar.
    For rem_dreams: what concentration did you sample? Try at least EDP. To appreciate its beauty, the best concentration is the extrait. On me EDT smells different than EDP, it's dry, lacks deepness and don't last long enough (I have dry skin). But the edp is gorgeous! And I must own the extrait. Heavenly!
    ~ Anais ~

I concur with the responses above in terms of there being no one fragrance all women should have. But, I do think that as someone who is interested in fragrance, you should at least be familiar with how certain types of iconic fragrances smell on you. It is sort of like those books on clothing that say we all need to have a white blouse, a trench coat, a pencil skirt, and black trousers- yes, those are versatile pieces but you don't have to have a double breasted Burberry, you have to have one that suits you and your lifestyle. I'm sure there are a number of lists on this website of what constitutes the reference scent for a style or note. You might also want to go to The Perfumed Court which sells samples and is organized by type, note, house, even Turin rating.
    From my perspective, here are a few that I think well represent a note:
    Chypre- Mitsouko
    White Floral- Fracas
    Fruity- Miss Dior Cherie
    Oriental- Opium or Shalimar (heavy with vanilla)
    Aldehydes- Chanel No. 5
    Green- Chanel No 19 or Ma Griffe
    Gourmand- Serge Luten's Chergui
    Floral- this has a multitude of sub categories, many of which you will be familiar with. Here are a few
    Rose- YSL Paris
    Lily of the Valley (muget)- Diorissimo
    Tuberose- EL Private Collection Tuberose Gardenia
    Leather- Caron Yatagan
    Citrus- Eau d' Hadrien

These are just my opinion. I am on a quest to build a well rounded wardrobe based on a variety of notes. There are so many options!
    Keep reading Basenotes and sampling as often as possible.

I'm not an experienced BNer so my suggestions might seem exactly inexperienced, but both Baby Doll Paris by YSL and Juicy Couture drive me wild.

Quote Originally Posted by senZuality View Post
    I agree too with Shalimar.
    For rem_dreams: what concentration did you sample? Try at least EDP. To appreciate its beauty, the best concentration is the extrait. On me EDT smells different than EDP, it's dry, lacks deepness and don't last long enough (I have dry skin). But the edp is gorgeous! And I must own the extrait. Heavenly!
    Hmm. I think it must have been the EdT. I will try to sample the EdP before giving up on it. Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Fantastic_Creep View Post
    Chanel's Coco Madmoiselle is the most spectacular fragrance I have ever smelled on a woman. Certainly worth a try.
    I never smelled this on a woman before but it sure smells great on paper!!!!!

Beautiful is old as dirt but women smell lovely wearing this.

I don't really believe in must-haves, but I would recommend Chanel 19 as fabulous and transcending its notes. In parfum - the EDT and EDP don't work for me at all.

I don't like iris. I don't like neroli. I don't like bergamot. I usually don't like jasmine. I adore 19, which has all of them.

Crayfish

You all gave great suggestions, thanks for that. I think you took my meaning a bit too literally though. I should have said "What are the number one woman's fragrances in terms of popularity that every woman needs to try?" or something of that nature. Sorry for that, should have thought it through before typing but my brain doesn't function as well when tired. I was just curious what the best of the best were according to all of you. Fragrances that would be a staple in so many people's collections. And now I know, so thank you!

Chanel Coco Mademoiselle!

Light Blue's one of the good ones too

Here's a great blog entry on the topic:

The Art of Seducing Oneself : How to Select Perfume
    http://boisdejasmin.typepad.com/_/20...me_seduce.html

Quote Originally Posted by Fantastic_Creep View Post
    This. It's my girlfriend's favourite perfume. It's pretty much to die for.

Great blog, Kess! That was interesting to read. I agree with it, you should choose what works for you, not for someone else. But my interest in finding out what's great to other "noses" is simple. If many people love a particular scent, there has got to be a reason for it. It must just be that good. By finding out the favs of people who adore perfume, I can learn what I should at least try out. That way I can find out for myself what's so great (or not great) about the classics that you all love. And maybe find a true love for myself in the process

Quote Originally Posted by TaraYvonne View Post
    You all gave great suggestions, thanks for that. I think you took my meaning a bit too literally though. I should have said "What are the number one woman's fragrances in terms of popularity that every woman needs to try?" or something of that nature. Sorry for that, should have thought it through before typing but my brain doesn't function as well when tired. I was just curious what the best of the best were according to all of you. Fragrances that would be a staple in so many people's collections. And now I know, so thank you!
    Chanel No. 5 still stands...

Calvin Klein Euphoria is a biggie.

Mugler A*Men. I know, I know, but it's so much more pleasant and feminine than Angel. Not sure if that's intentional but... Eh. I call 'em like I sees 'em.

Emporio Armani Diamonds.

None of these are boutique or ancient or particularly profound... But I'm none of those either. Definitely popular, tho. I like how my list matches my personality

My top women's fragrances are:

Lolita Lempicka
    Flower Bomb
    Hanae Mori
    Amor Amor
    (random great bath and body works frags)
    Armani (the tall, cylindrical, sand colored bottle with a rubber atomizer presser)

I also say Shalimar and nr 5, not that you should own them but that you should try them - and in different seasons and weather.

Then my advice would be to try different fragrance families : citrus, green, insence and so on. I'm very new into this too, started in May 2007 and I haven't a fragrance history. I tried some citrus frags last spring. When I started this fragrance journey I couldn't imagine that I could like citrus.

Narciso edt for her....and vera wang princess....both #1s

As per my experience since i am working in a world of fragrance, its quiet little bit difficult to choose but the old fragrances for me are the best. i would strongly agree shalimar, l'air du temps, chanel 19 and chanel 20 are great. I hope you could try chanel no.1 too,its beautiful and Jean Patuo 1000. Try to refresh the old fragrances, you can absolutely appreciate the beauty of fragrance.

Chossing of fragrance is a passion,an art. Some people likes it but you dont. It depends on the chemistry of our skin. My advice, try to refresh the old perfumes, you would absolutely appreciate it, It is totally different and if you would, you would have your own identity. Its unique!

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Maz24 View Post
    Narciso edt for her....and vera wang princess....both #1s
    mazzo cant wait to see what your large but already cramp up creed storage is looking like now, been a while, got a link mate?

anyways my fave would be Ferragamo by Selvatore Ferragamo, classic Tai tai exudes status. also one which i personally own and use is hermes hiris - the best iris scent out there, sweet and all so elegent.