Code of Conduct

Thread: Vanilla WHAT?

Default Vanilla WHAT?

Ok, so i came across an idea to use vanilla oil as a simple club fragrance that would disperse well in that hot, hot dancing environment once i start to sweat. Now, i've been looking around and have found quite a few types of product. There are:

Vanilla Essential Oils
    Vanilla Absolutes
    Vanilla CO2 Extracts

What is the difference between these? And which would be best from a fragrance standpoint? Would i need to dilute one of these (AKA is it too strong to just put a drop or two on my skin without diluting it)? And which is the highest grade of scent? Thanks for playing along you guys, i know i've had alot of questions!

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Vanilla WHAT?

The difference between oil, absolutes and extracts is how they're extracted from the vanilla pod. I haven't smelled absolutes or extracts, but from what I've read most people say that this form of vanilla doesn't actually smell that good. It smells good when a perfumer blends it, etc. Essential Oil, of course, is a marketing term - probably means the company blended the vanilla (absolute or extract or a synthetic replication) with some other note in oil. Since your nose is not trained enough to be able to detect whether you're being ripped off (they might charge you for absolute and sell you a cheaper synthetic recreation of vanilla absolute), I would just stick with an Essential oil for the best smelling product to use the way you want.

If it's being sold as an essential oil it's probably already diluted for skin application. If it is an absolute or extract, it MUST be diluted in oil before skin application - you can seriously damage your skin if you put it on full strength. Be careful.

Also, vanilla extract is normally used for baking, no?

I would imagine anything you come across labeled "vanilla extract" is intended to be used in recipies, not on your skin, unless specifically labeled othewise.
    Last edited by DocmanCC; 30th March 2009 at 02:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by DocmanCC View Post
    Also, vanilla extract is normally used for baking, no?

I would imagine anything you come across labeled "vanilla extract" is intended to be used in recipies, not on your skin, unless specifically labeled othewise.
    I was playing around one day and actually put some vanilla extract for baking on my skin, and it smelled pretty darn good! Not too terribly foody, and more complex than I expected. Of course it didn't last long. But since it's just "vanilla bean extractives" in water and alcohol, I can't imagine it would be harmful to skin. After all, we do eat the stuff.

Sorry for the tangent. I don't know much about essential oils or absolutes, but I wanted to share my experience with the extract. Good luck from a fellow vanilla fan!

Quote Originally Posted by rem_dreams View Post
    I was playing around one day and actually put some vanilla extract for baking on my skin, and it smelled pretty darn good! Not too terribly foody,
    That last part is actually synonymous with "gourmand," which is when smells are "food-esque." The actually word itself only means a person who takes great pleasure in food, but we scent people apply it in the way that smells are linked to foods, resembling a certain smell that only foods give off. While vanilla is a very common scent in baking, and other foods, there is a distinction between it smelling food-like and more natural.

Vanilla itself is a very easy smell to wear, but I would be careful about the type. I agree with Mikeperez about essential oils being the best way to get some of that sweet(literally) smell. Caition yourself when applying it though. Appart from the "pure" forms needing dilution to not damage your skin, the extract is still strong enough to send people within a certain radius running to the hills (Iron Maiden refference). They are strong as it is, but vanilla is even more powerful than most I've smelled before.

I've used sweetened vanilla extract (alcohol based) to "tame" some frags, and it works fine. Also, if you just want a really food-like vanilla frag, you probably at least want to look at the ones sold at:

jojoelle.com

I got a sample of a gingerbread cookie one they sell, and it was incredibly strong (and good, if that's what you want to smell like!).