Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Tang & Ubu's Excellent (Scent) Adventure™

If ubuandibeme were a fragrance, I would describe her as effervescent. I think she left a smile on the face of every person we talked to (except for that bored Bond No. 9 rep at Saks who couldn't be bothered!). You can tell by several of the following pics that ubu was a riot to spend time with.

I brought my laptop to Chicago, hoping we could both check in on BN, post progress reports, and look up notes & reviews, but the connectivity didn't work out. I'll probably flesh out my thoughts and comments later, but I wanted to get some pictures posted! I think ubu might add some more in a bit.

Friday afternoon arrival after visiting family & friends on the way
    Cool, sunny, windy -- I already regretted forgetting my winter coat!

Ubuandibeme greeted me with perfume samples, perfume books, and a subtly-scented A La Nuit hug.

First round, hit the ground running: Chanel boutique, Hermčs boutique (with the charming Mauricio), and Barneys New York (with Malle, Lutens, TDC, Byredo, CdG, L'Artisan, Nanadebary, Diptyque, Antonia's Flowers, Costume National, Parfums Delrae, Les Parfums de Rosine, etc.).

By the time we left Hermčs, I had my planned repurchase of the 15ml Hermčssence set, and Mauricio had tied scented ribbons around our wrists, shown us much of the staff-only literature on Hermčs fragrances, and sent us both off with those generous 4ml Hermčs sample vials.

I'm a little mixed up on where we went next, but we hit Bloomingdale's, Macy's, and Water Tower Place with Crabtree & Evelyn, Sephora, The Body Shop, and the shuttered L'Artisan.

Ubu expressing our shared dismay at the closed L'Artisan boutique. It wasn't a complete surprise, but it was still a disappointment.

At the end of the day, we compared notes, sorted through scent strips, and discussed a possible split of Chanel No. 18.

Saturday morning: cold, windy, eventually rainy
    Ubu treats me to a shot of wheat grass juice for breakfast.

Later at Aroma Workshop, we sniff "Meadow" which reminds me of breakfast, and I try not to make this face again:

The first scent we were assaulted with on Saturday was the cabbie's, on the way to Aroma Workshop. I frantically dug in my purse for scent strips and perfume compacts to smell, while ubu pulled out her coffee pod which had only been called upon for perfume-counter sniffing until that point.

Aroma Workshop
    Even with the opportunity to sniff so many high-end, exclusive, and/or niche fragrances in Chicago, the cozy Aroma Workshop was the perfume highlight of the trip. One wall was lined with the unscented bath & body products that can be blended with your custom notes. The other wall was lined with Ted's elixirs, and in between was the counter where you sit 'n' sniff. As you start selecting the notes that appeal to you, Ted begins handing you test strips with different combinations of the vials he sees in front of you.

It was fun to share this progression of "ew, that's a no," "eh, that's ok," "oh, this is nice," and "MMMMMMMM." Ubu discovered Aroma Workshop via Google, and if you're ever in the Lincoln Park area, Ted's Aroma Workshop is a must-see. Thirty-two dollars for 65ml of a custom blend!

After Aroma Workshop, Blue Mercury (Lincoln Park, 2208 North Halsted), which had Annick Goutal, Acqua di Parma, Bobbi Brown, Comptoir Sud Pacifique, Creed, Diptyque, L'Artisan, L'Occitane, Tocca, Trish McEvoy, etc.

On to ArtEffects, a "modern day general store," where we found Apothia, Danica Aromatics, Sage Machado, and Soular Therapy's Astrological Aromatherapy Collection.

A quick return to Chanel reveals that No. 18 was deceptively beautiful on a card and horrendously WRONG on skin. Our wallets thank us for our prudence.

Next round: Marshall's, Saks (Bond No. 9, Caron, Lalique, etc.), Nieman Marcus (Clive Christian, Tom Ford, Jo Malone), Nordstrom, another Sephora (ubu walks in saying "Heeere we go!" which cracks up a male SA, because we're clearly on a mission).

Ubu models the latest in perfume safari fashion:

She's hiding her face here, but I was the one who was camera shy!

The C.O. Bigelow store in Water Tower Place had a unique variety: 06130 Zéro Six Cent-Trente, Acqua di Parma, Anthony Logistics, Carthusia, Crabtree & Evelyn, Fresh, Geo F. Trumper, L'Artisan, L'Occitane, Nasomatto, Tocca, Shiseido, Zirh, and a couple of other lines I'm forgetting. They had L'Artisan's Passion Set, more favorites which I picked up, taking advantage of a store-wide $25/off special ending that evening.

At various times during our adventure, we were asked if we were sisters, pharmacists , or "in the industry." That last question was usually directed at ubu, because she obviously knew what she was talking about when discussing fragrances. Because of the bottle collages, I recognized a lot of fragrances because of their appearance, not their contents.

It was a whirlwind Windy City weekend. I'm still catching my breath and collecting my scattered thoughts, but it was such fun to share The Hunt with another Basenoter, and to get to know a good friend even better.

Cheers!

Tang

P.S. I may have to change my nickname to Klutz, because I kept bumping into things, dropping things, and knocking things over. When I finally left Chicago, I breathed a sigh of relief that I hadn't broken anything more expensive than a sample vial of Jo Malone's Sweet Lime & Cedar!
    Last edited by tang; 13th April 2009 at 03:22 AM.

Default Re: Tang & Ubu's Excellent (Scent) Adventure™

Oh you guys! That is so great! You two look like you had a blast! Thanks so much for sharing!

I'm having some difficulty with my computer (which means me - not the machine!) but I'll try to contribute, building upon Tangs' wonderful recapping of our Chicago weekend!

For those of you who have not yet had the pleasure of meeting Tang, take a closer look at her eyes. Do you notice the kindness there? She is remarkably kind. I'd say she's the 'salt of the earth', meaning that strictly in the nicest way! Tang is genuine ~ there is not an ounce of pretense within her. Her easy going, kind spirit made me feel like a dear friend right from the start.

We wasted no time in getting on with the sniffing...

After a sampling of Les Exclusifs at Chanel, it was full speed ahead with our charming SA 'Mauricio' in the Hermes Boutique, where Tang started the spending - first purchase of the trip!

Wish I had taken a photo of Barney's, where SA Charles was flicking scented test cards at us faster than a black jack dealer on the Vegas strip!
    It was great fun collecting them, along with samples, then reviewing them periodically throughout our adventure.
    Here's an idea of what we collected in just a few hours~ Tang refers to this as our perfume paper trail!

We laughed alot about how people think SA's are a bit intimidating...well, we're here to tell you that if you are out and about sampling fragrances, do it with a serious sniffing partner and whip out a notebook and start jotting. You will instantly become the one's in charge! No more intimidation.

As Tang mentioned, Aroma Workshop at 2050 N. Halsted, in the Lincoln Park neighborhood was truly a highlight for us both. We must have spent a good 2 hours (maybe more) inhaling some of the most beautiful scents, and sniffing a multitude of combinations - some from our own mind and some guided by Ted ~

In between all the frags, we ate some great food. Seafood at The Grill, lunch at Annette's & Wao Bao, Big Bowl, JambaJuice (where Tang was a great sport - indulging my craving for wheat grass juice), and let's not forget Einstein's Bagels - where they referred to us as "Glen & John"!
    The best treats were the ethnic Dutch goodies Tang brought as a gift for me...I ate myself silly on almond pastries!

Last, but not least, we did hunt for those handy pocketed vests recommeded by our dear Quarry ~ what do you think?

Yeah, that one was a little too big. Besides, I was holding out for the one with the leopard skin lining !

This sniffing extravaganza was pure pleasure, and the best part of the entire trip was finally meeting Tang. She made it all worthwhile.

Cheers ~ until we sniff again!
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 31st March 2009 at 03:41 AM.

That looks like such a fun time! Thanks for sharing that. I share your pain on the shuttered L'Artisan. So near... so far...
    No deep dish pizza? Or is that a guy thing? I mean, wheat grass juice vs. Pizzeria Uno special...??
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Sounds as if you both had a smashing (no pun intended) time of it all. I used to live in Chicago and this brought back many wonderful memories. Why did you not go to Marshall Fields down on State Street? I used to work there on the Dior counter and the department was huge; there used to be 4 fragrance counters.

Oh yes, I just saw Odysseusm's post. No deep dish pizza???? you must have. you should have!!!!!!! I hope you did.
    Last edited by Brielle87; 31st March 2009 at 02:40 AM.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser ŕ sa source

Oh wow! It sounds like you guys had a ball. I'm putting Chicago on my list of cities to visit.
    Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

OMG!! Ubu I love this pic!!

Diva is fartin in your perfume mist before you walk through it!! Walk slow and let it marinate......

Divatologist....Breaking perfume rules since 1969
    I smells goooooooooooood! Don't believe me? Come smell me!!

"The Divatologist Perfume Application Method" is now available!!! Learn It, Live It, Love It Click Here! Many Compliments Await You!

www.twitter.com/Divatologist www.divatologist.tumblr.com

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

That was absolutely delightful....!
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Oh, you two sound like lots of fun! Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.

I'm with Odyss and Brielle - how could you pass up the PIZZA?!

That wheat juice looks like it should smell like Fleur de Liane!

In one of your photos, I see a card with "La Pausa" printed on it. Any chance that you found out what the notes are in that one (besides iris)?
    Last edited by Haunani; 31st March 2009 at 03:01 AM.

Thank you ladies, sounds like you had the time of your lives meeting and sniffing in Chicago.

You both are genuine and very likeable.

Love that pic of Ubu @ L'Artisan.
    I too, must visit the Windy city someday.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

priceless pics!
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

What a beautiful travelogue--and the vests are a riot!

It is so gratifying to see the fun and amazing adventure you two shared!

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    Sounds as if you both had a smashing (no pun intended) time of it all. I used to live in Chicago and this brought back many wonderful memories. Why did you not go to Marshall Fields down on State Street? I used to work there on the Dior counter and the department was huge; there used to be 4 fragrance counters.

Oh yes, I just saw Odysseusm's post. No deep dish pizza???? you must have. you should have!!!!!!! I hope you did.

Oh Brielle, that glorious old State Street Fields is now a Macy's...a couple years back, Fields sold their stores. That State St. building is still one of the most stunning buildings I've ever seen! You're so lucky to have that memory from working the perfume counter(s) there! We really spent our time in the North Michigan Ave. shopping district and Lincoln Park. Maybe we should put State on the next trips' itinerary!

You know, I don't know why we didn't do pizza...we did talk about it ~ I think we ran out of time!

Sounds like a simply wonderful outing--thanks for the report and the photos! It just confirms my theory that BNers are a great bunch of people (I've met two great ones in person so far).
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Wow! What a wonderful outing! I'm so jealous (but in the best way!). Glad you two had a ball and I love the pics!

You guys are a TREAT !
    How I LOVE seeing your exploits !!!!

This is the best part of my day.
    What a couple you make.....

What an amazing time you two had! I like to think it would be that way if we all met......more of a reunion than a first meeting. You guys have me thinking one thing now after looking at all of your pictures.....girls trip to Chicago!! ( I haven't been there in 16 years)

Many MANY thanks to you both for the vivid narrative and WONderful pix of your great ad-wenture!! (I was born in Chi - and even though I fled for Manhattan when I was a year old - that opening Lakeside shot really got me!)

BlackCat's right - BNers are the greatest!!
    "The world is ruled by letting things take their course. It cannot be ruled by interfering." Lao Tze

summer means fireflys

Sounds like you two had a blast! I always love hearing about BN'ers meetings.

I've only been to the airport in Chicago ... would love to visit there some day.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Basenotes Plus

Oh how fun! Great recaps and photos! Ubu, the snap of you at L'Artisan is priceless. Thanks for sharing and for letting us enjoy vicariously.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

just wanted to add that my mom and dad met on a blind date in chicago...neat to see these pics. I've never been there, only snowed in at the airport once, many years ago.
    "Like a lobster with a pearl in its claw, the beet held the jasmine firmly without crushing or obscuring it. Beet lifted jasmine, the way a bullnecked partner lifts a ballerina, and the pair came on stage on citron's fluty cue. As if jasmine were a collection of beautiful paintings, beet hung it in the galleries of the nose, insured it against fire or theft, threw a party to celebrate it. Citron mailed the invitations." Jitterbug Perfume by Tom Robbins p. 189

What I am loving right now: Shalimar vintage extrait, Chanel Bois des Iles, Chanel no. 22, Le Labo Iris 39, Guerlain Iris Ganache

Tang & Ubu thank you for sharing your trip with us.
    The one really cool thing about this community is when we meet for the first time it really isn't the first time and that makes things so much fun.
    Love the picture of Ted it looks like he was having as much fun with you as you were having with him.

tdi- "girl's trip?!" Damn Y chromosome.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Basenotes Plus

I can tell you two had a lot of fun. Thank you so much for sharing your trip with us. I too loved the photos!

I *do* need glasses. When I first looked at the picture of Ubu on her knees in front of L'Artisan, I thought it was in mocking reverence Great photo!

Thank you ladies for sharing all the fun with us, I really enjoyed this.
    The bird of paradise alights only upon the hand that does not grasp

There are so many points not yet mentioned...Blue Mercury had quite a large display of Creed. Their website only lists 10 but the brick & mortar housed about 20 or more! It was nice that we could spritz to our hearts' content - without a hovering SA! Oh yeah, they had a good selection of Diptyque as well. (All the very best in hair care products too.)

We had very little success finding any Guerlain fragrances The only "special" ones were 3 obscure bee bottle collectibles at Nordstrom. I think the Eau du Cologne was around $395. or $450., and #68 was about $295. and the third one I cannot recall...at any rate, they were obviously not available to sample. The only stock we found was Samsara, Guerlain Homme, Vetiver, Insolence and a sprinkling of Shalimar, Mitsouko, L'Heure Bleu, and the couple of AA's at Sephora.

Trish McEvoy and Jo Malone had nice displays at several locations we visited, as did Aqua Di Parma. Saw a couple places featuring Tom Ford and Frederic Malle. Barneys had the only Lutens (and carried 'them all') and also found Byredo and The Different Co. well represented there.

Lots of Goutals everywhere!

L'Artisan - while not having their own home anylonger - was plentiful at Blue Mercury, Barney's and C.O.Bigelow.
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 31st March 2009 at 03:14 PM.

Looks like a lot of fun! Great city to explore, too.

Enjoy the bounty.

Sounds and looks like you two had a great time. Thanks for sharing. I'm interested in to know if you came away with anything from Aroma Workshop. What was your favorite scent and/or blend? Anything surprise you?

Wheat grass? When I'm in Chicago, it's Italian Beef (with hot peppers) at Portillo's.

One of my friends claims Portillo's chocolate cake is the best. Maybe I'll try it during my next visit.

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    Sounds and looks like you two had a great time. Thanks for sharing. I'm interested in to know if you came away with anything from Aroma Workshop. What was your favorite scent and/or blend? Anything surprise you?

Wheat grass? When I'm in Chicago, it's Italian Beef (with hot peppers) at Portillo's.

Hey sloan! I'm spoiled, there is a Portillo's in Merrillville, IN - just down the street from the indoor soccer facility where my son plays throughout the winter months. Portillo's is ALWAYS our meal on soccer day!!! I usually get the italian beef - dipped! Your friend is right, the chocolate cake is fab! Tang will have to come back to Chicago - and bring more basenoters along - and we'll add italian beef to our list of foods to try! It is a Chicago favorite for sure!

At Aroma Workshop I discovered the scent of myrrh. I love it! Created a blend of myrrh and soft florals, I'm wearing it today! What I learned basically is that frankincense is not for me, but myrrh makes me swoon
    Also created a violet based frag for spring. Another fun observation: we asked Ted to put together some of his wood blend with violet....viola', it was Lutens' Violette du Bois (well, almost )
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 31st March 2009 at 03:37 PM. Reason: addition

BN better than ever
    Blog Entries

T & U, you're two of my favorite BNers and now only more so because you've exceeded my fun and fond imaginings of you. To envision your raucous exploits fills my heart with glee.

tdi stated it perfectly, "I like to think it would be that way if we all met......more of a reunion than a first meeting."

Just love the "Oh, God, why?" photo of Ubu, the unbelievable(!) pocket vests, and your recommendation that "... if you are out and about sampling fragrances, do it with a serious sniffing partner and whip out a notebook and start jotting. You will instantly become the one's in charge! No more intimidation."

That opening shot is breathtaking, Tang. I felt the chill when you mentioned the lack of your winter coat. I bet that between your bottle collages and this expedition, you'll be having some colorful dreams.

Do tell us more as you have time. No minutia too small to not be of interest to us.
    Last edited by Quarry; 31st March 2009 at 04:38 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

OH what fun!! Thank you so much for sharing. It's so obvious you had a fantastic time. I love your perfume paper trail.
    And the number of places you visited! You two are champions!

Ohhhh!!!
    It looks like you had lots of fun.
    Thank you for sharing your wonderful experiences.
    Evenstar

Blog Entries

Excellent photos. I also relate to the desperate door pounding. Hilarious!
    It was fun to hear about those sniffa spots. I go to Chicago sometimes. I will definitely check those out. Thanks for the info!
    Last edited by kumquat; 31st March 2009 at 05:49 PM.

Thank you so much for sharing! I feel a pang of envy as I was in Chicago only a few months ago and would have loved to join in on such a lovely tour! (I did drag a couple of poor colleagues along to some of the places you've mentioned, including the now closed L'Artisan boutique! So I really feel your pain in a way, having been inside that very store myself).

Great photos and great storytelling.

Truly an excellent adventure, thank you for the posts and the photos. They are all great pictures but that first photo of the coast is stunning Tang! I do sometimes envy you the variety of scents available in the U.S.
    Last edited by chaelaran1008; 31st March 2009 at 09:27 PM.

Great reading and photos - Thanks for sharing!!

I never doubted you´d have a blast!

Great photos, the one of ubu outside of L´Artisan is priceless "The True Despair of a Parfumista"

The Aroma Workshop sounds great!

Looool! Ladies thank you for such an entertaining and vivid run down of the "excellent adventure! You two rawk! Your account and pics are a hoot!!
    I am officially jealous!

So much fun! Thanks for sharing. I'm a little exhausted thinking about all of the places that you visited. Woah! Truly you are both entirely deserving of the 'Perfumista' moniker.

All the photo credit goes to ubu -- her camera, her inspirations. I wish we had gotten pictures of the Hermčs fragrance display and the stunning Chanel Les Exclusifs, but I think the camera kept slipping from our minds (thankfully NOT from my fumble-fingers). And Quarry, that sunny, chilly Friday was the warmest point of the weekend. Brrr! By the time I left, it was snowy and bitterly blowy, with chunks of slushy ice dropping to the streets from the skyscrapers.

Haunani, I'm sorry to say we didn't find out much detail about Chanel's Les Exclusifs. 28 La Pausa turned out to be one of my favorites there, along with Sycomore.

At Aroma Workshop, I could tell that myrrh hit the sweet spot for ubu. Up until then, the things she tested got favorable but lukewarm responses, but oh, that myrrh! I started off in my comfort zone, the familiar territory of white tea combinations and citrus notes. I have a glut of gourmands at home, so I stayed away from that for the morning. Ted presented me with combinations of white tea with cassis, fig, and pomegranate, China lily and "Rain," bergamot & fig (ŕ la Cristobal), raspberry + grapefruit + tea (he had overheard us recalling the notes in Danica's I Am Energy -- his combo was better!). It wasn't until he started adding sage to my choices that things started to click. It added a spicy green edge to scents that had been nice enough but boring.

I settled on something outdoorsy, sage with Big Sur, a combination that reminded me of the Oregon coast when it's wild & woolly. My rookie mistake was buying some without skin-testing it. It borders just on the edge of what I would associate with masculine-marketed scents, but I'm really happy with it. I haven't thought up the perfect name for it, like ubu's Myrrh~Made Blossom!

At Saks and some of the other stores, I was able to test a handful of the classics that were suggested in my "Recommend One Scent Per Decade" thread. Vol de Nuit and Diorella are two that I definitely want to follow up on. It was really satisfying to have such a smorgasbord of scent available compared to what I usually have access to near home.

One of the fun things was how so many of you were in our thoughts throughout the weekend. I saw Bond No. 9 Chinatown and thought of tdi. Saw Nanadebary and thought of Quarry. Saw Angeliques Sous La Pluie and thought of sloan_8013. Saw Only the Brave and thought of SirSlarty's wonderful fragrance Frankenstein. Nearly every bottle we saw had us saying things like, "This is one of so-and-so's favorites," or "Divatologist wears that!" or "This one seems to be popular on the men's forum right now." We kept wanting to call each other "tang" and "ubu." At one point, I was trying to get her attention in Nordstrom after spotting the 2008 edition of Fragrances of the World, and started calling out, "Ub -- !" When your nicknames would come up in association with various fragrances, speaking them out loud to each other put smiles on our faces. I think only other Basenoters would have understood our conversation and references much of the time.

I would love to get back to Chicago to see ubu and other local Basenoters -- if another large-group sniffathon is organized sometime, count me in! And yes, I can see that Portillo's & pizza will be a MUST next time.

Finally, y'all don't know how hard it was to tear that poor girl away from L'Artisan:

Last edited by tang; 1st April 2009 at 03:26 AM.

It just keeps getting better. You are a dynamic duo, and it sounds like an incredible time together. How nice to share that special time, and we are all GREEN with envy.
    odysseusm

"The force that through the green fuse drives the flower // drives my green age..." Dylan Thomas

Tang! You're sooooo talented my dear! The way you write is expressive and fun to read. Another amazing thing for me to observe was Tangs' incredible memory. She has a mind like a steel trap...especially when it comes to bottles . Just a glimpse, from far away, and she's got the house and scent name nailed (and probably the year it was released too!) that's a talent I can only dream of. She's even well versed in the designated masculines. Tang had me sniffin' frags I never would have thought to try. The Dyptique fig scent (it might be called Philykos?) was very new and different to me. It was greener than I had expected, Quarry might enjoy that fig!

True enough, your names were mentioned throughout our adventure. Just walking into Barney's brought Somerville Metro Man and Ruggles to mind. Saw some FCUK and thought of Tvlampboy. Judith Leiber ~ Divatologist, Bond No.9 ~ Taolady, Caron ~ Brielle - and I don't know why?!, Twolf ~ came up numerous times , saw some f-me pumps and thought of Rtamara, Folavril by Goutal conjured up Tigrushka's name, lily frags ~ Lilybelle, beautiful bottles ~ Riannon, Nanadebary Green ~ Quarry, good looking guy ~ MikePerez and actually the scent Tang created made me think MikePerez would enjoy it! Creed (VIW) ~ kbe, Vanilia ~ Lian, Tang found a tiny roll on in Sephora and mentioned Wordbird. Seriously, the entire trip was peppered with thoughts and reminders of so many basenoters...even Grant!

Another tip that came in handy was to carry wipes along. We (mostly tang) picked up alot of leaky bottles , and the only thing worse than spritzing an unpleasant scent is having it dribble all over your hand and down your arm!

Hey, I just realized the time and there's some stuff I have to get done, so I'll have to say goodnight for now...be back tomorrow.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by ubuandibeme View Post
    ... good looking guy ~ MikePerez and actually the scent Tang created made me think MikePerez would enjoy it! ...
    Oh really, good looking guys make you think of me? Wonder why? Hmmm... Seriously, it's nice to know that I'm thought of (I think of you everytime I see 31 Rue Cambon).

You two really sniffed a lot of stuff (gosh look at all of those tester strips in the pic above). What a bunch of rock stars!
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 1st April 2009 at 02:40 AM.

Looks like you two had an absolutely wonderful time, and LOL I love the pictures of Uber locked outside the abandoned L'Artisan store, that was my laugh of the day

Thank you for sharing your tales and photos! What a fabulous adventure indeed!!!!
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Sounds like you got on like a house on fire! Great adventures and great story-telling, ladies!
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Sounds like you got on like a house on fire!
    We did get along very nicely! I have a confession for you:

I am horrible at pronouncing names...esp. French! You see, in my brain, when I'm reading, everything sounds like dripping honey. But, when I actually speak the words aloud - I totally butcher it!

Your moniker is a prime example. Just so you know, here is how I say your name ~
    "voo-vee"!!!

Please accept my apologies

Sorry to keep posting like a run-on crazy woman , but our weekend was filled with so much, bits and pieces just pop back into my mind at random!

One amazing thing I learned is that smelling the note of violet can temporarily numb the olfactory! It's true. When we were sniffing at Aroma Workshop, I literally couldn't smell anything after sniffing the violet essence! CRAZY! Of course this effect is temporary (thankfully) but true. Makes me wonder if that's why violet is such a quirky note for people...and why it's difficult to find a great violet blend?!
    Last edited by ubuandibeme; 1st April 2009 at 01:20 PM. Reason: typo

Voo-vee sounds cute to me
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

I love the Arlisan photos --they are fun and also heartbreaking!

I found that a lot of the niche shops in Paris are very, very "calmes" as one SA put it. Especially the stretch on the rue Grenelle: the smaller Niicolai, one of three Frederic Malle shops, and small Maitre parfumeur et gantier shop).

In fact that branch of Maitre Parfumeur is closing. I asked if this was a bad sign or an upgrade. The SA cheerfully claimed this shop was just a hole ( "un trou") and the closing was a good thing. However, they are NOT opening a new one--just keeping the larger store on Boulevard des Capucines open.

Another SA, at a different niche house, cited this closing as a sign of the very bad financial times. She seemed very concerned.

I suspect a lot of the very close attention and long conversations I experienced in ll of the shops has a bit tot do with the fact that I was one of the rare customers at many of these places.

Sigh.

I certainly did my part to keep them all in business.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 1st April 2009 at 02:20 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    ...Sigh.

I certainly did my part to keep them all in business.
    Basenoters are known for their economic stimulus !

Hey sloan! I'm spoiled, there is a Portillo's in Merrillville, IN - just down the street from the indoor soccer facility where my son plays throughout the winter months. Portillo's is ALWAYS our meal on soccer day!!! I usually get the italian beef - dipped! Your friend is right, the chocolate cake is fab! Tang will have to come back to Chicago - and bring more basenoters along - and we'll add italian beef to our list of foods to try! It is a Chicago favorite for sure!

At Aroma Workshop I discovered the scent of myrrh. I love it! Created a blend of myrrh and soft florals, I'm wearing it today! What I learned basically is that frankincense is not for me, but myrrh makes me swoon
    Also created a violet based frag for spring. Another fun observation: we asked Ted to put together some of his wood blend with violet....viola', it was Lutens' Violette du Bois (well, almost )
    Lucky you! I lived in West Lafayette from '91-'93 but not fortunate enough to have a Portillo's near. I'm sure you and your son have a great time and some tasty food after soccer. That's good quality time.

Nice to hear you're a myrrh fan. Your floral myrrh sounds incredible, like a soft flower warmed by the late afternoon sun on a cool spring day.

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    At Aroma Workshop, I could tell that myrrh hit the sweet spot for ubu. Up until then, the things she tested got favorable but lukewarm responses, but oh, that myrrh! I started off in my comfort zone, the familiar territory of white tea combinations and citrus notes. I have a glut of gourmands at home, so I stayed away from that for the morning. Ted presented me with combinations of white tea with cassis, fig, and pomegranate, China lily and "Rain," bergamot & fig (ŕ la Cristobal), raspberry + grapefruit + tea (he had overheard us recalling the notes in Danica's I Am Energy -- his combo was better!). It wasn't until he started adding sage to my choices that things started to click. It added a spicy green edge to scents that had been nice enough but boring.

I settled on something outdoorsy, sage with Big Sur, a combination that reminded me of the Oregon coast when it's wild & woolly. My rookie mistake was buying some without skin-testing it. It borders just on the edge of what I would associate with masculine-marketed scents, but I'm really happy with it. I haven't thought up the perfect name for it, like ubu's Myrrh~Made Blossom!

At Saks and some of the other stores, I was able to test a handful of the classics that were suggested in my "Recommend One Scent Per Decade" thread. Vol de Nuit and Diorella are two that I definitely want to follow up on. It was really satisfying to have such a smorgasbord of scent available compared to what I usually have access to near home.

One of the fun things was how so many of you were in our thoughts throughout the weekend. I saw Bond No. 9 Chinatown and thought of tdi. Saw Nanadebary and thought of Quarry. Saw Angeliques Sous La Pluie and thought of sloan_8013. Saw Only the Brave and thought of SirSlarty's wonderful fragrance Frankenstein. Nearly every bottle we saw had us saying things like, "This is one of so-and-so's favorites," or "Divatologist wears that!" or "This one seems to be popular on the men's forum right now." We kept wanting to call each other "tang" and "ubu." At one point, I was trying to get her attention in Nordstrom after spotting the 2008 edition of Fragrances of the World, and started calling out, "Ub -- !" When your nicknames would come up in association with various fragrances, speaking them out loud to each other put smiles on our faces. I think only other Basenoters would have understood our conversation and references much of the time.
    Tang, I'm flattered that you associated me with Angéliques sous la pluie. It's one of my favorites in the Malle line. I was in a quandary as to what I should wear today. Now I know.

BTW your Big Sur and sage combination sounds like a green, woody chypre. While you and ubu were in Chicago, I was sifting through my old photos and diecided to use them as my avatars again. Coincidentally, I changed my avatar to one of my favorite shots of Big Sur at sunset. Brilliant minds think alike.

My goodness! Away for a few days, I missed our two delightful raconteurs and wonderful pics. What a time you two had! I lived in Chicago for six years, back in the seventies. There was not a major fragrance presence there then.
    Were you able to exhibit restraint? What did you actually buy?

Oh Brielle, that glorious old State Street Fields is now a Macy's...a couple years back, Fields sold their stores. That State St. building is still one of the most stunning buildings I've ever seen! You're so lucky to have that memory from working the perfume counter(s) there! We really spent our time in the North Michigan Ave. shopping district and Lincoln Park. Maybe we should put State on the next trips' itinerary!

You know, I don't know why we didn't do pizza...we did talk about it ~ I think we ran out of time!
    I do not know what I am sadder about; Marshall Field's becoming Macy's, another L'Artisan boutique going the way of the Dodo, missing Chi-town and viewing your photos, or the fact that you DID NOT HAVE ANY DEEP-DISH PIZZA.
    I really wish I could have been there with you both, the photos brought back such nice memories, I loved the Watertower area, (the old Watertower in particular), and walking down Oak St.
    My other favorite ting was looking up at the Tiffany ceiling while working at Marshall Field's, oh and eating lunch in one of the many eateries there and in the neighborhood. Heaven on Seven (Wabash St) was a great cajun restaurant across the street in the Loop, mmmm good.

Well if I ever meet anyone in Chi-town, we are definitely having Deep Dish Pizza, it is a definite.
    Last edited by Brielle87; 1st April 2009 at 11:34 PM.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser ŕ sa source

Wow, Chicago has a beach! They never show that on the tv shows.
    Even though I'm way across the pond, I'm really interested in the photos because my adored cousin works in Chicago and lives just over the state line in Indianna (near you UBU, I guess).
    I have a great idea now for a family present for him and his missus: a day at the Aroma Workshop to make their own fragrances.
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Quote Originally Posted by Wordbird View Post
    Wow, Chicago has a beach! They never show that on the tv shows.
    Even though I'm way across the pond, I'm really interested in the photos because my adored cousin works in Chicago and lives just over the state line in Indianna (near you UBU, I guess).
    I have a great idea now for a family present for him and his missus: a day at the Aroma Workshop to make their own fragrances.
    Hey Wordie! Didn't know you had kin so closeby...that sounds like a WONDERFUL gift! I'd bet it would be a real hit!

The lakeview you see in tangs' initial photo is of Oak Street Beach. Lake Michigan is still very high right now, so it doesn't seem like there is much beach area, but there's plenty. Chicagos' Eastern most border is entirely coastline of LM! In the summer it's a mass of colorful sails, as there are thousands of boaters!

This week the 2016 Olympic committee has been staying in Chi-town to determine if it is worthy of hosting the 2016 summer games. I, for one, have my fingers crossed as it would be a boon for our economy ~ as well as pure cultural & sporting excitement!

Wordbird, that would be a lovely idea! I saw their gift certificates on the wall behind the counter and thought they would make great gifts.

To answer Therese's question, I picked up the travel set of 15ml Hermčssences at the Hermčs boutique, with Rose Ikebana, Vetiver Tonka, Poivre Samarcande, and Ambre Narguilé. Mauricio was sweet & charming, my favorite SA of the Chicago trip, showing me some of my favorite scents. How could I resist? I also got a nice deal on L'Artisan's Spice Set at the C.O. Bigelow store, taking advantage of their store-wide $25-off/$100 special. I bought a couple of candles, Flowerbomb shower gel at Marshall's, and a LaVanila purse spray at Sephora. I was tempted by many (Les Exclusifs, Malle, Lutens) but didn't stray too far from my pre-trip plans.

Quote Originally Posted by sloan_8013 View Post
    BTW your Big Sur and sage combination sounds like a green, woody chypre. While you and ubu were in Chicago, I was sifting through my old photos and decided to use them as my avatars again. Coincidentally, I changed my avatar to one of my favorite shots of Big Sur at sunset. Brilliant minds think alike.
    Between your changed avatar and your long-distance assessment of my sage blend, the synchronicity is a little spooky! I couldn't remember Ted's description of Big Sur and didn't find it detailed in his online list of scents, but when Wordbird's post prompted me to look at their Gift Ideas page, I found Big Sur described as "Fresh meets Sandalwood and Oak Moss." It's definitely new ground for me, and I'm on my 4th day of it this week.

This trip did show me the silver lining of living in a remote area that necessitates online shopping -- I can't break virtual bottles! Was it Nordstrom's where I knocked something off the shelf (very minor domino effect), stepped away and backed into a table display of a new release, knocking one or two boxes off their pyramid? After that, I didn't dare to move. Fshew!

Looks like you had a blast and really made me wish i had a partner in crime in london Are you going to olondon in august?
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by Lian View Post
    Looks like you had a blast and really made me wish i had a partner in crime in london Are you going to olondon in august?
    Only if I win the lottery

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Ahha! Ubi and Tang, you now have the Trademark ( ™ ) on your Thread Title! Are we to assume there just may be a full literary offering for us to enjoy in the future? Perspiring minds want to know, you know..
    Last edited by kbe; 3rd April 2009 at 12:56 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Gosh, I just saw this thread due to the hectic nature of last week.
    Thank you for your perfume travelogue. I quite enjoyed it and feel as though I have "met" you now.
    Chicago is a great shopping destination. I only wish that I would have been there with you. We would have stuffed our collective pockets and gone off to the el, stinkin' like all get-out.
    Lovely post, ladies.
    Last edited by purplebird7; 3rd April 2009 at 01:08 PM.