Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Perfumes the Spring Guide out - Interesting men's ratings...

Aramis 900 - 4 stars - thought it would get 5 based on Aromatic Elixirs getting 5. He also classifies it as "Floral Oriental" which I don't get the Oriental aspect. Closer to a chypre IMHO as it's devoid of sweet notes like amber and vanilla.

DKNY Men 3 stars- really? 1 at best
    Versace PH 1 star - spot on.
    Montale Oud Cuir d'Arabie - 5 stars - need to get a sample of this one.
    Montale Black Out - 4 stars - think he gets this one correct.

Will post more thoughts later
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Default Re: Perfumes the Spring Guide out - Interesting men's ratings...

Very interesting. Were those the only two Montales they reviewed, because I am real excited about hearing their opinions on the line. I am also surprised with the one star for Versace PH, with all the love it gets here on BN, and that fact that IMO it is a welcome change in the designer "aquatic" world, I thought it would get a far better rating.

I just bought it and read it... good stuff! There are a few that I'll have to add to my sample list now.

Basenotes Institution

I was extremely shocked at the 3 stars that Habit Rouge Sport got. I really expected less than this.

It's nice to see Black Aoud got 4 stars (and Oud Cuir d'Arabie got 5).

I was shocked at all the bad marks for Profumum.
    Last edited by arwen_elf; 31st March 2009 at 08:53 PM.
    Evenstar

Yes, I'm genuinely suprised. Thought he would slate montale. I agree with him about aoud damascus (**). Notably, he doesn't point at the oud as being synthetic which further backs the "cultivated oud" theory which montale claimed and I thought plausible. Many prominent montales still missing though: attar, aoud lime, royal etc. Maybe montale will "remember" to send them some samples now they have achieved a **** and a masterpiece.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 31st March 2009 at 11:35 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    I was shocked at all the bad marks for Profumum.
    How bout the (well deserved!) fabulous marks for Histoires des Parfums? It just made me want them more.

Honnestly I love Montale but Oud Cuir d'A. is absolutely repulsive.

Can't even smell it , and I would definitely not imagine anyone wear it...

But I have to admit I admire it and respect it, just way too harsh and skanky and ... awful for me to wear it ever.
    Current top 10 in no particular order : Malle - Carnal Flower (pre 2008) ; Montale - Black Aoud ; Bond #9 - Silver Factory ; Tauer - L'air du désert marocain ; C&Z - No 88 ; Francis K. - APOM ; Creed - Aventus ; Amouage - Epic ; Profumum - Dulcis In Fundo ; Amouage - Opus V

Ambre Gris gets 2 stars as "fake sandalwood." Can someone explain to me how an amber frag is pretending to be sandalwood? It's an odd frag that is probably "love it or hate" mostly, but this sandalwood claim puzzles me.

Quote Originally Posted by Roc_Xel View Post

Turin has demonstrated a love for "strange" frags in the past. 5 stars for Secretions Magnifiques
    Looking to swap/buy/receive for free () the following samples/decants:
    Indult Tihota & Rêve en Cuir
    Chant d'Aromes extrait
    Vetiver pour Elle (5ml decant)

Selling/swapping:
    Versace The Dreamer 50ml (1.7oz) BNIB
    ---

"The Sunshine bores the daylights outta me!"
    http://polderposh.blogspot.com/

But I have to admit I admire it and respect it, just way too harsh and skanky and ... awful for me to wear it ever.
    Ha ha, I once wore it to go out to the pub and had to go home again quickly as I couldn't bear to be smelled like that.
    Last edited by hirch_duckfinder; 31st March 2009 at 10:30 PM.
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

Thanks Manicboy for providing the ratings (especially useful to read for those who don't subscribe to the guide). Always interesting to read what Turin has to said about some of these yet-to-try frags. Hmm... will be looking at purchasing Aramis 900 soon.

What about some of the women's frag. Any interesting ratings to share? Thanks.

I'm also glad that Turin didn't go into attack mode with Montale.
    I totally agree with their reviews of La Petite Robe Noire, Nuits de Cellophane, Aramis 900, Brooklyn, Eau Lente, Luxe Patchouli, Prelude to Love, Sables and Blue Amber.
    Forget about Profumum, his repeated dismissals of Penhaligons cheap ingredients will certainly have many a Basenoter up in arms.
    Finally a big thanks to TS/LT for taking my suggestion and reviewing Anne Pliska, I'm glad you gave it ****.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 31st March 2009 at 11:34 PM.

Welcome Profumum and Penhaligons to the hallowed LT/TS hall of disregard; fellow members include Caron, Creed and Lorenzo Villoresi.
    -

Blog Entries

DKNY Men getting 3 seems fair to me, so far it's my favorite designer release of the year.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Have they reviewed Kenzo Power yet? If so, what did it get?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by KMF View Post
    Have they reviewed Kenzo Power yet? If so, what did it get?
    I think you discovered an MIA fragrance. I checked the K's, and between Poopoo Pidou and Prelude to Love. No found!

Off-Scenter

Oddly, I found myself agreeing with Turin and Sanchez far more frequently in this batch of reviews than on any of their past outings. Notably:

Black Aoud (****) and Aoud Cuir d'Arabie (*****)
    Black Tourmaline (****)
    Bois de Copaiba (***) and Querelle (**), both rather ordinary
    Carré d'As (***), boring
    Both CdG Luxe scents, boring and overpriced
    Le Dandy (***) meh
    Eau Lente (****)
    Both L'Etre Aimé scents, boring and disappointing coming from Divine
    French Lover (****)
    Idole (****)
    L'Ombre Fauve (****)
    Thundra (*)

We still differ strongly on several points, though. To whit, I have no use for Duel or Sables, I do like Magnolia Romana and Penhaligon's English Fern, and I find both L'Eau Neuve and Lubin's Le Vetiver utterly snoozalucious.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Ambre Gris gets 2 stars as "fake sandalwood." Can someone explain to me how an amber frag is pretending to be sandalwood? It's an odd frag that is probably "love it or hate" mostly, but this sandalwood claim puzzles me.
    I am pretty sure it has artificial sandalwood, Bigsly. When I tried it, I got the same hairspray note that I get from Estee Lauder Private Collection Amber Ylang Ylang and Coty Wild Musk, both of which have a "woody" base. It is really nasty to my nose.

I'm sorry but after spending a winter with Mr Turin's book I find it fits a lot better in the bookcase dedicated to light fiction and general works of comedy.

Only one way to find out!

http://community.basenotes.net/priva...=newpm&u=21176

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    I think you discovered an MIA fragrance. I checked the K's, and between Poopoo Pidou and Prelude to Love. No found!
    I ask you, who heard of Poopoo Pidou before this supplement?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 1st April 2009 at 02:42 AM.

I was hoping someone would explain the review, perhaps quote a sentence. I'm sure glad I didn't get that "hairspray" note when I sampled it, because I really hate that. I don't really like it, so I'm not suggesting it deserves more than 2 stars, but I've sampled some powerful sandalwood frags lately, like Samsara, and I can't imagine Ambre Gris described as a sandalwood frag. But this means I'll have to sample it tomorrow ! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by noirwest View Post
    I'm sorry but after spending a winter with Mr Turin's book I find it fits a lot better in the bookcase dedicated to light fiction and general works of comedy.
    You're not sorry.

I I'm sure glad I didn't get that "hairspray" note when I sampled it, because I really hate that. I don't really like it, so I'm not suggesting it deserves more than 2 stars, but I've sampled some powerful sandalwood frags lately, like Samsara, and I can't imagine Ambre Gris described as a sandalwood frag. But this means I'll have to sample it tomorrow ! LOL.
    I find it amazing that they didn't mention the omnipresent cherry note in it.
    "Ambre Gris (Balmain) ★★ fake sandalwood $$$
    No resemblance to ambergris: instead, a familiar
    synthetic sandalwood base. Cheaters. TS"
    That's all she wrote.

Quote Originally Posted by andylama View Post
    You're not sorry.

You're right, I'm not but it seemed improper to indicate how amused I am that anyone would take the reviews contained within all that seriously. "Expert" or no it would appear that theirs is just more opinions, neither better nor worse than, say, most to be found in here.

Ah ok, so it seems that there was disappointment about the name of it. I thought of it as "gray amber," whereas she thought it was ambergris (and is probably right). The frag did seem to have a "gray" amber to it, but also had a very sweet accord, similar to that found in Belle en Rykiel, and I found the combination of the two accords to be dissonant in an unpleasant way.

Quote Originally Posted by noirwest View Post
    You're right, I'm not but it seemed improper to indicate how amused I am that anyone would take the reviews contained within all that seriously. "Expert" or no it would appear that theirs is just more opinions, neither better nor worse than, say, most to be found in here.
    You know, they do have authority. They have a lot more inside information than most of us do. Turin is a chemist and has worked on developing aroma chemicals. Sanchez and Turin both have a wonderful gift for expressing clear and candid abstract ideas very succinctly, with lots of wit, to boot.
    I'm all for setting standards, but of course I don't agree with everything they say.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 1st April 2009 at 03:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    You know, they do have authority. They have a lot more inside information than most of us do. Turin is a chemist and has worked on developing aroma chemicals.
    You are correct. Unfortunately, Turins expert chemist side materializes only in his duftnote articles (void of TS's presence I assume..) , not the periodic The Guide updates ..
    -

I think of them, especially LT, as a professor I'm studying under. What I found with professors I studied under in the past is that they had a lot of knowledge that I did not, but that they didn't always communicate that knowledge in a way that was accessible to someone who was at my level of understanding. Even if you asked specific questions, you might get answers that were difficult to grasp. So you did the best you could under the circumstances. When you found that they started to bore you, that was usually a sign that you had learned all you could from them.

With fragrance, there is another factor, at least for me, and that is the shifting quality of my sense of smell. Some days a frag smells too strong and others days it's too weak. Some days I don't like a certain note in it, and other days I enjoy it. This may be related to the other frags in my rotation, or simply which frag I wore the day before. Whatever it is, I know now that I can't "trust" myself, so I can only give so much weight to the opinion of someone else, no matter who it is. I would like their reviews to be more comprehensive, but for whatever reason, they have rejected this approach, and so we can "take it or leave it." I'll take it, but I do feel at least some frustration while reading quite a few of their reviews.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 1st April 2009 at 03:24 AM.

You know, they do have authority. They have a lot more inside information than most of us do. Turin is a chemist and has worked on developing aroma chemicals. Sanchez and Turin both have a wonderful gift for expressing clear and candid abstract ideas very succinctly, with lots of wit, to boot.
    I'm all for setting standards, but of course I don't agree with everything they say.

I'll agree with you but only up to a very short point. Yes, they do it for a living and I'd expect them to know more about the nuts, bolts, and test tubes than I do. However, at the end of it all I'm the one wearing the scent and with the exception of only a handful of reviews find their impression and mine to be vastly dissimilar. However, I don't expect my impression of fragrance X shared on basenotes to overly impress a reader as to whether or not they should purchase or even bother trying it. That doesn't seem to be the case with the author's opinions and I just find that, well, amusing. Trust your nose, Luke.

Actually, it would be great (to me, at least) if they had tastes that were the opposite of mine, because then I would know to sample the one star frags !

I had not hear of it, ever, but is sounds hilarious.

Come on Ruggles, say it 5 times.
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    Welcome Profumum and Penhaligons to the hallowed LT/TS hall of disregard; fellow members include Caron, Creed and Lorenzo Villoresi.
    and last, but not least Mona
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    How bout the (well deserved!) fabulous marks for Histoires des Parfums? It just made me want them more.
    Yes, Luckyscent (Scentbar) here I come!
    Evenstar

Quote Originally Posted by arwen_elf View Post
    and last, but not least Mona
    We might as well add Bond no.9 to the list too ..
    -

We might as well add Bond no.9 to the list too ..
    And Mark Buxton's work for Createur D'Emotions.
    "Cacharel pour l'Homme 27 years too late. LT"
    And that was one of the kind reviews.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 1st April 2009 at 03:58 AM.

Was L'Artisan's Fleur de Liane (my latest love) reviewed? If so, how many stars?

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    Was L'Artisan's Fleur de Liane (my latest love) reviewed? If so, how many stars?
    One of my favorites of 2008, too. So far Turin/Sanchez remain mute on this beauty.

Quote Originally Posted by ajmc View Post
    In the accompanying excel spread sheet, see no. 259:

** , melon floral, TS
    -

I love Aoud Cuir d'Arabie and of course was glad to see it getting it's props. It's the only FB Montale I own at the moment, and for the foreseeable future, and one thing you have to give it is that it's totally unapologetic. It definitely won't appeal to those with a penchant for aquatics and other modern '08 masculine releases, that's for sure. I don't find it 'weird' at all, and certainly nothing like the artistic statement of Secretions Magnifique, rather it's just bold and simple.. oud and leather.

Funny that 1740 should get 5 stars because I've tried and tried to like it - and I like leather and I like HdP, but I hate immortelle and I can't around it no matter how hard I try. I have a sample of Unbar on the way. I disagree with the assessments of the Parfumerie Generales and am a little surprised after they got so many good reviews in the last update, but it's ok to disagree and I'm sure Turin would be the first to say so.

As for comments abouve - everytime an update comes out this gets rehashed. People can questions "qualifications" all they like, but since there is no degree or certification in fragrance reviewing, expertise is developed by experience. The more you sniff, the more you understand, the more you know - and the better you write the better you can convey what you know. For these same reasons I think of Foetidus, scentemental, Vibert, mikeperez23, JaimeB,and a few others as 'experts' insofar as I trust their noses and that their reviews, thoughts, and comments are based on meaningful experience. I trust T/S's experience and more than anything, the reviews are for sparking ideas and most of all to encourage sampling fragrances I would have never considered sampling. What does it matter if a review differs from your own thoughts on a fragrance? It's like someone not rooting for the same sports team you like.... it doesn't matter. The degree to which the words in some reviews are parsed borders on silly... so what if Turin calls something a 'masterpiece' in one review then doesn't give it 5 stars somewhere else? So what if he smells something differently then you or I do? It happens all the time. Burr gave Reve en Cuir 5 stars, Turin gives it two.. do you think either is wrong? Of course not.

As for the actual writing, the more I read and re-read through the original Guide and the updates the more clear it is to me that T/S had a target audience in mind when writing their reviews. The target audience already has a certain level of sophistication with fragrances and already has experience testing and wearing fragrances from different houses and genres. The target audience is looking for new ideas for fragrances they haven't tried yet. I notice T/S will gloss over certain fragrances - and this I assume is because they assume their target audience already has the sophistication and experience to know why they glossed over what they did. Therefore when something you'd think would get few comments gets a positive review and substantial ink, it really makes you stand up and take notice.

If what you want is fragrance pyramids as published by the houses' marketing departments, there are many sites already out there for that (i.e. fragrancedirectory) - and I couldn't imagine anything more mindnumbingly more boring than a book of straight "these are the topnotes, these are the heartnotes, these are the basenotes" reviews. Not only are these 'pyramids' largely a work of fiction, but they don't tell you how the fragrance feels, or what it is like as a work of art. Not only do I think straight reviews would be boring, but I'd bet that much of their target audience - the collectors who would actually pay for the book and updates and are sophisticated in collecting - would not be interested in such a book. Maybe a 'Guide for beginners' would be more apt and contain such reviews, but then again it's a big risk to target a book at beginners who may not feel the need to buy such a book.

For what the Guide and updates are, the writing is really spot on. Light, humorous, conveys information quickly, and effective. More analysis would be boring and defeat the purpose. Overall I find the Guides terrifically useful as reference material and will keep getting them quarterly as they come out.

In the accompanying excel spread sheet, see no. 259:

** , melon floral, TS
    I stand corrected, Fall 2008, The Guide's first update.

Well said, bbBD.

The guide serves a purpose. I find it entertaining AND informative, it has saved me a ton of time and money, and made me laugh out loud more than a few times. What more can you ask from an $18 book?

Success breeds iconoclasm, period.

I stand corrected, Fall 2008, The Guide's first update.
    Thanks guys.

I think Luca Turin likes immortelle. He usually has positive reviews for perfumes that include that note with the exception of a Serge Lutens, mmmh, the name escapes me right now, could it be Chypre Rouge?
    Evenstar

FWIW I view the newsletter to be light reading, magazine type content that is focused on my hobby. Cool and fun! I'm chuffed that L'Eau Neuve - Lubin got 4 stars; it's a kick-arse citrus chypre.

I'm glad about Aoud Cuir D'Arabie and 1740 getting five stars... they're two of my favorite leather fragrances.

The rest of the reviews were very hit and miss when compared to my own tastes.

No more stars. From now on, fragrances will be rated:

I WILL WEAR THIS

or

I WON'T WEAR THIS

Emphasis on the "I".

Well said, bbBD.

The guide serves a purpose. I find it entertaining AND informative, it has saved me a ton of time and money, and made me laugh out loud more than a few times. What more can you ask from an $18 book?
    Pop-ups and a "choose your own adventure" theme would have been nice.

Quote Originally Posted by SirSlarty View Post
    No more stars. From now on, fragrances will be rated:

I WILL WEAR THIS

or

I WON'T WEAR THIS

Emphasis on the "I".
    Theres no "I" in Turin

edit : I just realized there is an "I" in Turin
    Last edited by Surfacing; 1st April 2009 at 09:37 PM.

Basenotes Institution

LOL. Seriously, I read about it on Octavion's blog back in February.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    LOL. Seriously, I read about it on Octavion's blog back in February.
    Well, of course! I realize that I should have written, who but Mike Perez ever heard of Poop Pidou?

Quote Originally Posted by Surfacing View Post
    Pop-ups and a "choose your own adventure" theme would have been nice.
    LOL! I loved Choose Your Own Adventure books when I was a kid!

You are at Luckyscent, and it appears to be deserted. Nobody up front, nobody in the back room, and nobody on the street outside.

If you stuff your pockets full of random bottles and run, turn to page 77
    If you browse through the bottles, with the intention of stuffing your pockets with specific bottles, turn to page 81
    If you sit and start sampling fragrances just because you can...turn the page.

Poopoo pidue sounds like MKK in another language
    I wonder how serious you folks take one guys taste for fragrances
    I don't think I would take them too highly since we all have such unique tastes
    unless of course you have similar tastes
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

Quote Originally Posted by Hasupk@gmail.com View Post
    Poopoo pidue sounds like MKK in another language
    Poopoo Pidue is from the song I Want to Be Loved By You, which Marilyn Monroe made famous:
    "I wanna be loved by you, just you,
    And nobody else but you,
    I wanna be loved by you, alone.
    Poopoo pidue!"

LOL! I loved Choose Your Own Adventure books when I was a kid!

You are at Luckyscent, and it appears to be deserted. Nobody up front, nobody in the back room, and nobody on the street outside.

If you stuff your pockets full of random bottles and run, turn to page 77
    If you browse through the bottles, with the intention of stuffing your pockets with specific bottles, turn to page 81
    If you sit and start sampling fragrances just because you can...turn the page.

I love it

Poopoo Pidue is from the song I Want to Be Loved By You, which Marilyn Monroe made famous:
    "I wanna be loved by you, just you,
    And nobody else but you,
    I wanna be loved by you, alone.
    Poopoo pidue!"
    Wasn't that song featured in a Chanel #5 tv commercial some years ago?

I guess they were trying to market the Marilyn Monroe myth (or true story) about wearing "only" Chanel #5 to bed
    Evenstar

I have a recommendation for Tania Sanchez and Luca Turin, with much respect, of course. Please include the other name of the perfume in the Histories des Perfumes. I am getting confused with all those years, to the point that I have to look up other reviews to figure out which one is which.
    Evenstar

Someone please add Poopoo Pidue to the thread about worst fragrance names. Yikes, that's a bad one!

When you get past the harsh off-putting top notes (oud and a fecal note), then you will discover the masterpiece that Turin was talking about.

It's an absolutely wonderful soft leather fragrance.

I assumed they were talking about Jicky