Code of Conduct
    Post Thanks / Like

Question Versace pour Homme vs 360 Red vs Halston Unbound

I recently sold my bottle of AdG, as I grew tired of it very quickly and just couldn't bring myself to wear it any longer. I think it was the notorious sour note on the dry-down, it just rubbed me the wrong way.

I'm looking for a replacement for AdG, something along the same lines however much more wearable. I have obtained samples of Perry Ellis 360 Red and Versace pour Homme. I know that 360 Red is considered by many to be an AdG clone of better construction/composition, and Versace pour Homme is similar to AdG on the top with a woody dry-down. I am still testing and comparing these two fragrances, however I also noticed Halston Unbound being mentioned on the forums. Like 360 Red, it is described as "AdG done properly." I do not have a sample of this particular fragrance unfortunately.

How does Unbound compare to 360 Red and Versace pour Homme, and what would you guys recommend? The only way for me to obtain Unbound would be to blind-buy it online.

Thanks.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Versace pour Homme vs 360 Red vs Halston Unbound

Unbound, despite its numerous positive reviews, smells very cheap to my nose. I bought it blind online based off its reviews here and was dissapointed. My girlfriend (who's nose I'm training :-) ) thought it shared some notes with Clinique Happy, which she wore before we started dating. Versace Pour Homme smells like a lighter Chanel Allure Homme Sport first, then dries down very similar to Acqua Di Gio, sans the sourness.
    Last edited by Sokkou; 31st March 2009 at 09:51 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

I'm wearing Versace PH as I'm typing this. At this point I think it's just "okay," however I don't think this is the one that I would actually purchase. I'm going to give it some more time however. Likewise, I'm still testing out 360 Red.

I'm glad you mentioned Happy. I wore that one yesterday and I like it very much. I put it on my "To Buy" list. It's not quite the replacement for AdG that I'm looking for, but it's definitely a keeper.

Nothing to rave about Unbound. I bought it blind because it was dirt cheap & use it out of the shower & around the house. I much prefer Aqua Marine or Issy over Unbound. But 360 red is on my 'to try' list.

Post Thanks / Like

I also have a sample of Issey that I havent used yet. I sprayed it on a card and smelled the top notes. I smelled the citrus, however I also smelled something that smelled like moss, roses, and maybe even coal. It was quite unusual. Not sure if Im gonna like this one.

Post Thanks / Like

I didn't care for Issey all that much. It's nice at first, but I grew fatigued of it after only an hour or two.

Anyone else have suggestions or recommendations?

360 Red over Unbound. Unbound is more sour while 360 Red has a bold cinnamon type thing going on (hence the 'Red'). To my nose it smells better than AdG, but unlike AdG which is more of a summer fragrance, I find 360 Red to be more of a winter fragrance because of the cinnamon.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Versace pour Homme vs 360 Red vs Halston Unbound

I'm wearing Perry Ellis 360 Red right now and I really, really like it. It's everything I liked about AdG, with the bad elements removed (sourness, too salty and peppery, loudness). I like the subtlety and the cinnamon in this. I still haven't smelled Unbound, but so far 360 Red is a keeper.

I really love Versace PH (on me the oud/cedar combo is rather loud in the base and just lovely), and also a fan of AdG. Unbound I've sniffed long ago but never did skin test it so I guess I can't offer much useful commentary regarding it. Never tried the 360 red.

A scent I would recommend checking out though which is light, fresh, transparent, and quite unique IMO is Hugo XY. It is in the same category as the above scents - fresh and light, but goes in a different direction being translucently minty with just a hint of green basil, and what smells like a freshly cut watermelon in the top notes. It's far from sour, not at all salty, and not particularly loud although has good longevity and is sheer enough to avoid becoming cloying on even the hottest of days. The heart notes list "crushed ice accord" - and it really does capture that essence quite well. It is the aroma and also the sensation of sticking your head into an immaculately clean freezer.

I know they sell samples of it at FragranceX, so if you're shopping there at all you should add one to your cart.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 8th April 2009 at 03:06 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I vote for Unbound. I had 360 Red but the longevity was week on me so I returned it. I was bummed, because I really enjoyed the scent.

Unbound is my wife's favorite frag of my 60 bottle collection. My 15 year old has now borrowed it and I have to say it smells great on him as well. It's shockingly good especially for the price. You really can't go wrong with it being it's a safe, fresh and clean scent with decent longevity and sillage.
    Peace ~ Markymark

Post Thanks / Like

I think all three fragrances are great - especially the drydowns! Perfect for summer and anytime you need a refresher.

Post Thanks / Like

Thumbs up Re: Versace pour Homme vs 360 Red vs Halston Unbound

I just ordered Halston Unbound blind through ScentedMonkey. $13 with free shipping after discount code. I hope I like this one better than 360 Red, because I wore 360 Red to work today and I really like that one. I'll keep my fingers crossed.

Post Thanks / Like

Shaheen initially mentioned mentioned the sour note in AdG. I haven't skin tested that one, but I have a problem with L'eau D'Issey and Unbound. They smell great on a card, but on my skin they seem to go sour almost immediately, and within just a minute or two, I can smell virtually nothing but the strong, ugly scent of wet fur. Is that just my skin pH? Does anyone else have the same problem? Both bottles came through ebay; is it possible I just got a couple of bad ones? Seems unlikely, doesn't it? I need help before summer arrives.

Quote Originally Posted by RJR View Post
    Shaheen initially mentioned mentioned the sour note in AdG. I haven't skin tested that one, but I have a problem with L'eau D'Issey and Unbound. They smell great on a card, but on my skin they seem to go sour almost immediately, and within just a minute or two, I can smell virtually nothing but the strong, ugly scent of wet fur. Is that just my skin pH? Does anyone else have the same problem? Both bottles came through ebay; is it possible I just got a couple of bad ones? Seems unlikely, doesn't it? I need help before summer arrives.
    These (L'eau D'Issey and Unbound) go sour on my skin as well. Perry Ellis 360 Red did not however.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, Jock. It's a disappointment; I was hoping to have these as great summer scents. I wonder how common this is?

Post Thanks / Like

I just purchased 360 red from ebay hope to get it soon
    I read the reviews and they were astounding so I thought it was worth a blind buy
    Ill let you guys know
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

For the hell of it, I will mention on more in this genre that completely surprised me. Very nice frag for what it attempts to do...Adventure Quasar.

Perfumania stcoks it both online and at their brick and mortar stores. Give it a try!

Post Thanks / Like

Hasupk, do let us know.

Jock, Adventure Quasar didn't go sour on your skin? I'll need to find a couple of fresh/aquatic scents that work for me.

I think I'm going to recruit one of the women at my workplace for a sillage test of Unbound, 360 Red and L'eau D'Issey. I'll have her smell these scents on her skin, then on on mine at a distance and close up. Some reviewers have mentioned that a scent can be different, not just stronger, smelled close to the skin.

As of now, all I'm confident in for summer is Bulgari pour homme, which I like a lot but consider more formal than my T-shirts and camp shirts allow, and Tommy Bahama (original), which I think is a GREAT tropical scent.

Quote Originally Posted by RJR View Post
    Hasupk, do let us know.

Jock, Adventure Quasar didn't go sour on your skin? I'll need to find a couple of fresh/aquatic scents that work for me.

I think I'm going to recruit one of the women at my workplace for a sillage test of Unbound, 360 Red and L'eau D'Issey. I'll have her smell these scents on her skin, then on on mine at a distance and close up. Some reviewers have mentioned that a scent can be different, not just stronger, smelled close to the skin.

As of now, all I'm confident in for summer is Bulgari pour homme, which I like a lot but consider more formal than my T-shirts and camp shirts allow, and Tommy Bahama (original), which I think is a GREAT tropical scent.
    No. Adventure Quasar didn't go sour at all on me. Worth a try for sure.