Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default Vetyver / Vetiver by Molinard

From the little searching I've done, it sounds like a very basic, non-citrus, non-tobacco, non-berry vetiver, with a very rich, satisfying and grassy vetiver accord. Sounds like the perfect splash-on vetiver for summer, to me? Plus it's extremely affordable.

Color me interested.

Can I hear some comments from those of you that have sampled and/or own Vetyver by Molinard?

Also, I'm assuming that it's spelled with a 'y' because Grant listed it that way in the BN directory, but looking at the box/bottle its spelled with an 'i'. Confusing.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 1st April 2009 at 03:17 AM.

Default Re: Vetyver / Vetiver by Molinard

Mike,

Like most Molinard soliflores or single note fragrances, this one works better as room freshner. It's an EDC, and performs abysmally on the skin as do all Molinard soliflores and single note fragrances. The one I have is spelled with a "y", and it's not worth the money even if you get it cheap. Molinard has repackaged the soliflore and single note line and to be in step with the times has raised the prices for it. Old juice, new bottles. Don't bother. Trust me on this one.

You're right about one thing; it's pretty much non anything. I would even go so far as to say it's non vetiver.

scentemental
    Last edited by scentemental; 1st April 2009 at 05:49 AM.

Scentemental's right; there's no staying power with Molinard soliflores. Vetyver is pretty and sweet but has little to do with vetiver. I sampled it again a few days ago and thought that my vial was mislabeled, there was so little vetiver in it.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

If you want a cheap and good vetiver, you might be able to find a Vetiver de Puig tester at a good price somewhere online.

Basenotes Institution

Thanks guys - that's exactly the information I needed.

I am not necessarily looking for a cheap/good vetiver - I think I already know where I can score those. I was more interested in a splash-able vetiver - something you can really over apply (like I do in Summer) and not get too headache-inducing (Guerlain EdT), dirty (Route du Vetiver) or floral (Sycomore). Of course, I love the Vetiver Refreshing Body Splash by Guerlain that I got, but it's oily/moisturizing feel is sometimes not comfortable for me, since I have oily skin. So my go-to vetiver for this type of application is Vetiver Eau de Cologne by Guerlain. But...it's discontinued and becoming harder and harder to buy - everytime I use it, I cry a little inside, because I know one day it will be gone and I won't be able to replace it. So...

I guess I could try the Zara vetiver that everyone raves about. Or maybe the L'Occitane.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 1st April 2009 at 03:10 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Thanks guys - that's exactly the information I needed.

I am not necessarily looking for a cheap/good vetiver - I think I already know where I can score those. I was more interested in a splash-able vetiver - something you can really over apply (like I do in Summer) and not get too headache-inducing (Guerlain EdT), dirty (Route du Vetiver) or floral (Sycomore). Of course, I love the Vetiver Refreshing Body Splash by Guerlain that I got, but it's oily/moisturizing feel is sometimes not comfortable for me, since I have oily skin. So my go-to vetiver for this type of application is Vetiver Eau de Cologne by Guerlain. But...it's discontinued and becoming harder and harder to buy - everytime I use it, I cry a little inside, because I know one day it will be gone and I won't be able to replace it. So...

I guess I could try the Zara vetiver that everyone raves about. Or maybe the L'Occitane.
    Mike,

Is CDG - Vettiveru not a good splash on vetiver? I slather this stuff on and it is wonderful. You own it right?

Quote Originally Posted by Jock_With_Scents View Post
    Mike,

Is CDG - Vettiveru not a good splash on vetiver? I slather this stuff on and it is wonderful. You own it right?
    Hey JWS;
    I agree totally with your opinion Vettiveru. You almost can not put on too much of this stuff. It smells really clean, fresh but still has the tart vetiver grassiness that makes vetiver so special. The problem with Vettiveru is that it is almost too perfect as an everyday scent.

What I mean by that is that most other niche vetiver fragrances feel compelled to add in ingredients to make the original vetiver more than it is . . . . more earthy, dirty, dry, inky, incensey, woodsy, dark or whatever new direction. Sometimes I think they try too hard - especially for an everyday fragrance. Vettiveru "walks the straight and narrow" and doesn't mess up a good thing. A pure clean fresh vetiver.
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 1st April 2009 at 04:04 PM.

Carlo Corinto Vetyver....it just doesnt get better than this.

One other suggestion for a 'splash' type vetiver would be Roger & Gallet Vetyver. Lots of citrus in this one and probably couldn't over apply.

I second the R&G. Splash away; very grassy vetiver note.

Regards,
    T

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    ... I guess I could try the Zara vetiver that everyone raves about. Or maybe the L'Occitane.
    After trying Tumulte, by Ch. Lacroix, I realized L'Occitane's vetiver has a generous amount of cedarwood notes (Iso E Super?) in it. Zara`s vetiver has strong neroli notes in the middle notes.

Thus, if you intend to wear one of these vetivers for the summer time, I would suggest you to choose the second one rather than the first. Besides, it is dirty cheap, so reapplying would not be a problem (it is sold in 50 ml and 200 ml bottles, the first one is ideal for taking it with you).

Another option would be Adofo Dominguez' Vetiver, similar to Zara's but with more sillage and longevity - not that much, though. It is a little bit more expensive, but nothing compared with the usual prices charged by most niche brands.

Basenotes Institution

I like Vettiveru and I agree that it's a viable option, but I used up my bottle last year and I'm looking for a different scent, perhaps something not so iodine-rich as this one. It is a lovely, straight-forward vetiver - totally agree. I'm guess it's my Plan B choice - if I can't find anything that I haven't already tried that's better than this one, I'll buy the CdG again. I also have to get over the fact that CdG made the bottles smaller - I really liked the large splash bottles.

Thanks for the other recommendations. I have not tried the Roger & Gallet, Adolfo Dominguez or Carlo Corinto. From the top of my head, I think the Roger & Gallet is the easiest to source and also most affordable, right?
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 1st April 2009 at 04:49 PM.

My conscience won't go easy on me if I don't stick up for Molinard's Vetiver. Mine is the Vetiver with an I.

It is a simple scent, and compared to many on this thread it doesn't give a fresh and summer vetiver feeling. Instead it has a brown sugar, maybe cooked into syrup, element blended with the vetiver. It isn't green, it's brown and sweet. I still get a woody quality of vetiver from it, but it isn't lively. It might not please you Mike.

I also have good longevity from it myself. Eight hours from an edc.

It won't knock you out and make you feel like vetiver is the best element on the earth the way Vettiveru does. So it probably isn't the best.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by DustB View Post
    My conscience won't go easy on me if I don't stick up for Molinard's Vetiver. Mine is the Vetiver with an I.

It is a simple scent, and compared to many on this thread it doesn't give a fresh and summer vetiver feeling. Instead it has a brown sugar, maybe cooked into syrup, element blended with the vetiver. It isn't green, it's brown and sweet. I still get a woody quality of vetiver from it, but it isn't lively. It might not please you Mike.

I also have good longevity from it myself. Eight hours from an edc.

It won't knock you out and make you feel like vetiver is the best element on the earth the way Vettiveru does. So it probably isn't the best.
    I was hoping you'd comment, since I knew you owned it - thanks.

Brown sugar, eh? I don't think I've ever encountered a vetiver with that accord. How odd.