Code of Conduct

Smile Cherry Blossoms...

It's the height of flower season, and outside my window is a lovely avenue filled with pink and white cherry trees.

It occurs to me to ask - are there any truly realistic cherry blossom fragrances out there?

Default Re: Cherry Blossoms...

Last edited by ScentRed; 1st April 2009 at 01:36 PM.

I'd love to sniff a genuinely cherry blossom frag as well. GB, your post makes me homesick. My parents have 2 huge cherry trees on their property and I can't say as I ever noticed a strong scent coming from the blossoms - it's very delicate/subtle, no? Or am I misremembering?
    "It's now very common to hear people say "I'm rather offended by that." As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well so fucking what." - Stephen Fry

Quote Originally Posted by LedByMyNose View Post
    I'd love to sniff a genuinely cherry blossom frag as well. GB, your post makes me homesick. My parents have 2 huge cherry trees on their property and I can't say as I ever noticed a strong scent coming from the blossoms - it's very delicate/subtle, no? Or am I misremembering?
    Depends on the variety... many modern hybrids - the same goes for many modern roses, too - are scentless, but old-fashioned ones are strongly scented. Usually single, white flowered are the most likely to be heavily perfumed, and fruit trees tend to smell stronger than ornamentals.

In the old neighborhoods of Victoria the the streets are lined with big, old-fashioned cherry and plum trees and the breeze is literally fragrant this time of year. Luckily, as many of these old varieties set fruit, you can find younger trees of this kind sprouting up everywhere in vacant lots and parks around the city.* There's even a few growing right by the sea... a very pretty sight on a sunny day.

I spent large parts of my childhood in orcharding country - the Okanagan valley - and in April the whole valley seemed to bloom at once. If my memory serves me, cherries, plums, apricots and peach trees all had heavily scented blossoms, and apples and pears were slightly lighter scented.

*They are also very tasty. A lot of people in Victoria seem to forget that a lot of the big old trees are left over from orchards and set delicious fruit, so it's mostly the birds - and me - who enjoy the cherries and plums come July!
    Last edited by Sugandaraja; 2nd April 2009 at 12:51 AM.

GB, did you try a directory search with cherry blossom as one of the notes?

Hillaire

[I] haven't smelled it, but Kanebo makes a fragrance called Nioi Sakura

And the Japanese are hardcore about their sakura...
    Maybe it's good?

Annayake (another Japanese perfume house) do a cherry blossom perfume
    called Hanami. The new Love by Nina (Nina Ricci) also features cherry blossom
    as a note.

[QUOTE=Galamb_Borong;1476283]Depends on the variety... many modern hybrids - the same goes for many modern roses, too - are scentless, but old-fashioned ones are strongly scented. Usually single, white flowered are the most likely to be heavily perfumed, and fruit trees tend to smell stronger than ornamentals.

Au contraire, unlike so many other modern flowers that sacrifice size and color over scent, there are still many modern flowering cherries and plums that have exquisite scent. Unlike hybrid tea roses, where the industry tended to believe the public leaned on form over fragrance, hybridizers of flowering fruit trees have kept scent in the mix. On the property below mine, a large modern frilled double cherry is in full bloom, filling the air with sweet spicy perfume that rivals all of my older trees. On the adjacent property is a massive flowering cherry specimen from the 1930s which has only moderate scent. All of my nectarines and peaches are in bloom and only smell moderately. I have many very old apple varieties grafted onto my trees and I find no difference in the power of the scent from the newer one to those from the 1600s and 1700s.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Merbert View Post
    Au contraire, unlike so many other modern flowers that sacrifice size and color over scent, there are still many modern flowering cherries and plums that have exquisite scent. Unlike hybrid tea roses, where the industry tended to believe the public leaned on form over fragrance, hybridizers of flowering fruit trees have kept scent in the mix. On the property below mine, a large modern frilled double cherry is in full bloom, filling the air with sweet spicy perfume that rivals all of my older trees.
    Well, that's great news! I hope some of the modern scented varieties start becoming popular locally, then.

Blog Entries

A true to life, soft cherry blossom scent would be fantastic. Another scent that would be close, is crabapple blossom.

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Another scent that would be close, is crabapple blossom.
    Kent Cosmetics of the UK still manufactures Apple Blossom EDP which is supposed to be very retro. Its top notes are lilac, lily of the valley, anise and aldehydes. Middle notes are heliotrope, ylang ylang, rose otto, jasmine absolute, and water lily. Dry down notes are musk and sandal. The good news is that it's very cheap, cheap enough to take the plunge.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

Hillaire

I stumbled upon this and recalled this thread

Masak´ Matshush´ma "Cherry"

I was in a Walgreen's the other day and picked up a scent that the cashier was wearing. I asked what it was, and she told me that it was a brand-new fragrance from Bath & Body Works. She was wearing the lotion, and it really smelled delicious on her!

I never seem to find time to go shopping, so I haven't been in a Bath & Body Works store for a long time. But you might want to try it just for fun!