Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Power Where You Need It

Default Re: Burr gives Cuir Ottoman by Parfum d'Empire four stars

Maybe a bit mannered but surely compelling

Discover my Guest Reviewer Of The Day here

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Its a leather for the leather connoisseur.
    that´s for sure!! because then It could well be that someone confuse the Cuir Ottoman´s dry down with the smell of a Rexona deodorant. Blame on insomnia!!
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

AromiErotici

I have it, like it but rarely wear it. I actually liked it much better during sample wears. I have superior leather scents than Cuir Ottoman and wear them instead.

It's good........but not that good.......

I'm digging up this thread to see if there are any new thoughts on this one.

I've tried quite a lot of leather fragrances over the years and come to the conclusion that this one is really the best fit for me. It nicely fills both the iris and the leather gap in my wardrobe.

I have recently reacquainted myself with this one with a sample and I get lovely iris and jasmine florals and shoe polish.lol It does not smell like my kind of traditional leather just "shoe polish" which feels weird to have florals and that note. It gets nicer and sweeter with the vanilla in the basenotes but I do not want to smell like shoe polish. It's the way my brain is interpreting the leather note.lol
    Currently wearing: Versace l'Homme by Versace

There is definitely something about this one that says shoes. I never made the link between this and leather until I sampled it the same day I went out for new shoes and thought "Wow, it really does smell like these!"

Thanks for digging up this thread! I've been thinking about getting this in the near future. I'm looking for an iris and leather combo...currently I get my iris kick from Dior Homme Intense and the leather from Leather Oud. I'm hoping for this one to be the combination I'm looking for. I'm unfortunately unable to sample this before buying Please share your thoughts.

I can't recommend any blind buy, but I think this is safer than most. This isn't quite it, but: spray Dior Homme on, go to a shoe store, and smell a new pair of leather shoes mixed with your Dior Homme sillage. Like that smell? Then I'm 90% sure you'll like Cuir Ottoman.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Hunter View Post
    I have recently reacquainted myself with this one with a sample and I get lovely iris and jasmine florals and shoe polish.lol It does not smell like my kind of traditional leather just "shoe polish" which feels weird to have florals and that note. It gets nicer and sweeter with the vanilla in the basenotes but I do not want to smell like shoe polish. It's the way my brain is interpreting the leather note.lol
    Is it anything like the 'shoe polish' accord in Tom Ford Extreme?
    "All problems are illusions of the mind."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Is it anything like the 'shoe polish' accord in Tom Ford Extreme?
    With Tom Ford Extreme the shoe polish note is toned down and within a backdrop of a boatload of other notes that go well together so it fits well. With Cuir Ottoman the florals and the shoe polish note are so different that it stands out like a sore thumb, imagine having icecream on toast. lol It just does not fit, though I do really love the florals with Cuir Ottoman and it gets better in the drydown. But when testing I just could not get out of my head that "shoe polish note"is discordant when paired with the florals. Just my take.
    Currently wearing: Versace l'Homme by Versace

I'm currently enjoying Bottega Veneta which is a great suede and apricot (like a more lucid/wearable Daim Blond). How does Cuir Ottoman compare? I can't believe I've gone so long having yet to sample this one.

I think I've only sniffed Bottega Veneta on paper ( sounds so familiar, yet can't conjure up the smell ), but it's really not at all like Daim Blond. I get no fruit whatsoever here, which is kind of a relief as fruit plus leather if iffy for me. It's only worked for me in Sarrasis ( which is more about civet to my nose ) and the discontinued D.S. & Durga scent $ ( awesome scent, wish I'd bought it ). Daim Blond and Tuscan Leather are fruit-tastrophies on my skin.

Though really the two scents aren't alike otherwise, I find the leather here's closest cousin to be in Or Black.

As for Tom Ford Extreme, I can't stand it, and it does not remind me of Cuir Ottoman at all actually.

Sugandaraja: In God We Trust (boutique in Brooklyn NYC) had 2 bottles of DS & Durga "$" left last time I checked (not listed, call the boutique directly). Last place in the world to get it according to D.S. himself. I'm mystified why DS/Durga discontinued that one, easily their best creation.

I actually don't get much fruit from $ at all, but Bottega Veneta I definitely get apricot. Also, is it just me or does Boxeuses seem like the plum version of Daim Blond? The suede in Boxeuses is absolutely amazing but sadly the longevity isn't too impressive.

Leather is hands down my favorite genre. This is one of the best. In my top 3 of leather scents and truly has a realistic leather note (like a leather couch) among other notes. Love the iris in it.

4.5 rounds up to 5 and is one of the few. Amazing juice that isn't too overwhelming or cloying to wear in the heat. My only question at this point is why I still nurse a decant and haven't purchased a bottle.

I wouldn't say shoe polish.

More of a freshly sewn pair of Tod's.
    for swap/sale: