Code of Conduct

Default Nominate your worst fragrance description

I just had to laugh reading this. It's poorly written, vague, and tells you absolutely nothing about the fragrance. It's from some copy about CdG's 2Man:

"Whatís in a name? Well, thatís a loaded question if youíre asking it in regards to Comme des Garconsí 2 Man. A complex, rich fragrance, 2 Man stands head-and-shoulders above less emblazoned colognes; it dares to pride itself on a warm and soothing bouquet that derives from several incongruous, but perfectly interlaced, bouquets. While saffron flowers lend a touch of sweetness, mint, kumquat and vetiver roots all add a spicy and dark finish. Itís a powerful combination extolling the traditional virtues of masculinity; and in this day and age, thatís not something you hear every day."

Less emblazoned colognes? What?

Lucky Scent's site is full of great sales copy, most of it completely unhelpful. I particularly like this one about Le Labo's Oud 27:

"Oud 27 uses its title note as a point of departure into the richly ornamented, dark and luscious world of oriental perfumes, weaving a story so multi-faceted and vivid that it might be an olfactory equivalent of one of Scheherazadeís tales."

Share your favorites!

-Slim
    Haikus are easy
    But do not always make sense
    Refrigerator

And here (just search for Slim):
    http://scentsplits.wikidot.com/current-splits

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Nominate your worst fragrance description

Has someone got a New York Times handy?
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Post Thanks / Like

OK, how about this one for Zino?

'It was in the East End of London that I first encountered Davidoff's Zino. Two tough-looking young men thrust a bottle of it into my hands. "'Ere you are, mister," they growled, "we like it but our mum reckons it's a ponce's perfume, so you 'ave it." Applying said lotion to both wrists, I approvingly registered its suave golden glory, as well as its partial affinities with Guerlain's Heritage and the much older Crown's Sandringham. "Garn, mister," piped a scruffy urchin, "wossat the Kray twins just give yer? Gissa a sniff!" "My dear child," I riposted, "I fear you are so inured to the smells of poverty, so begrimed in the odours of chip fat, snot, unwashed clothing and ordure, that the scent of such a delectable fragrance as Zino would probably only afford you a seizure!"

The reviewer is highly respected I think, but I bought this one on a blind buy based on the many many other positive reviews and holy cow, did NOT like this frag.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    OK, how about this one for Zino?

'It was in the East End of London that I first encountered Davidoff's Zino. Two tough-looking young men thrust a bottle of it into my hands. "'Ere you are, mister," they growled, "we like it but our mum reckons it's a ponce's perfume, so you 'ave it." Applying said lotion to both wrists, I approvingly registered its suave golden glory, as well as its partial affinities with Guerlain's Heritage and the much older Crown's Sandringham. "Garn, mister," piped a scruffy urchin, "wossat the Kray twins just give yer? Gissa a sniff!" "My dear child," I riposted, "I fear you are so inured to the smells of poverty, so begrimed in the odours of chip fat, snot, unwashed clothing and ordure, that the scent of such a delectable fragrance as Zino would probably only afford you a seizure!"

The reviewer is highly respected I think, but I bought this one on a blind buy based on the many many other positive reviews and holy cow, did NOT like this frag.

Oh, I love that reviewer. He definetly makes things interesting and I have always appreciated that. Regardless, you should not buy blind and Zino is something I am trying to like but simply cannot. I am very surprised at how many guys on here like and wear Zino. I find it just too much and very dangerous smelling. Very risky stuff. But to each his own.

Post Thanks / Like

Agree, except about buying blind. I used to think that, but turned out it was fun to discover stuff and then if I didn't like it I just traded it away. Plus, there is NO where around me I could get a sample of anything but mass-market designer frags.

Yes, I think the Baron is pretty good....

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Zino is in my opinion a more risky scent than Kouros, in that it doesn't have much sweetness to balance the animalic notes. I've gotta be in the right kind of mood to wear it.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

Hmm, I think Zino is quite tame actually, a bit like a poor man's Heritage. Talking of which, I've not worn that in a while, I think I will today...
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I remember a frag that listed "essence of cloud" as an ingredient. It was on LuckyScent I don't know where exactly. That one really stuck in my craw.

Post Thanks / Like

Anything written by Chandler Burr.

I remember a frag that listed "essence of cloud" as an ingredient
    That would be water wouldn't it?
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

[QUOTE "Essence of cloud"

That would be water wouldn't it?[/QUOTE]

That's what I assume.
    Last edited by kumquat; 5th April 2009 at 05:02 PM.