Code of Conduct

Default Applying fragrance right after shower? Yes or No?

Hi guys, I usually apply fragrance right after showering and the go out. However, I've read here and there that it effects the fragr4abce longevity. So what do you think?

Default Re: Applying fragrance right after shower? Yes or No?

Apply some unscented moisture lotion to the areas you intend to spray.

Many people perspire after a shower. Personally I would wait until your skin adjusts to room temperature before applying.

The tip about using unscented moisture lotion is another good one. Be careful if you wear white dress shirts not to let any of the fragrance soak in or get sprayed ON the fabric. It will stain. And if you get your shirts custom made or they're labels like Kiton, Borrelli or Brioni... you'll be pissed off.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    Many people perspire after a shower. Personally I would wait until your skin adjusts to room temperature before applying.

The tip about using unscented moisture lotion is another good one. Be careful if you wear white dress shirts not to let any of the fragrance soak in or get sprayed ON the fabric. It will stain. And if you get your shirts custom made or they're labels like Kiton, Borrelli or Brioni... you'll be pissed off.

ditto i do the same...i usually wait a half hour. till everything calms down a bit!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

Check out Divatologist's blog about perfume application. The summary is that yes, it helps, and doesn't hurt.

http://community.basenotes.net/blog.php?b=244

It really does help. The main points are:

-Have a warm shower instead of hot, so you don't sweat.
    -Apply directly on wet skin and rub. (Fragrance is just liquid anyways.)
    -Apply unscented moisturizer on the sprayed parts.
    -Right before you get dressed, spray those spots again.

The longevity is pretty much unparalleled. Most people complain about YSL L'Homme giving them no longevity, but with this method, I get to smell it well into the next morning.

My main opposition to the methods are that lukewarm showers don't open up your pores, so how on earth does your fragrance get in there if they're all closed up? My other commentary is, as a man, I have really hairy wrists, so it's unnecessary to do any of these steps, as hair creates great longevity on me. With women, I can see how they'd want to use alternate methods of longevity. My other problem with it is that I only smell the middle notes after application, and it stays that way. There's a lot less evolution. That doesn't sit right with me.

Anyways, check it out. Try it out yourself. I think it works - just in the ways I don't want it to.
    Last edited by dynendal; 2nd April 2009 at 07:38 PM.

The post above is correct - hair is the ultimate fragrance amplifier.

Quote Originally Posted by dynendal View Post
    Check out Divatologist's blog about perfume application. The summary is that yes, it helps, and doesn't hurt.

http://community.basenotes.net/blog.php?b=244

It really does help. The main points are:

-Have a warm shower instead of hot, so you don't sweat.
    -Apply directly on wet skin and rub. (Fragrance is just liquid anyways.)
    -Apply unscented moisturizer on the sprayed parts.
    -Right before you get dressed, spray those spots again.

The longevity is pretty much unparalleled. Most people complain about YSL L'Homme giving them no longevity, but with this method, I get to smell it well into the next morning.

My main opposition to the methods are that lukewarm showers don't open up your pores, so how on earth does your fragrance get in there if they're all closed up? My other commentary is, as a man, I have really hairy wrists, so it's unnecessary to do any of these steps, as hair creates great longevity on me. With women, I can see how they'd want to use alternate methods of longevity. My other problem with it is that I only smell the middle notes after application, and it stays that way. There's a lot less evolution. That doesn't sit right with me.

Anyways, check it out. Try it out yourself. I think it works - just in the ways I don't want it to.
    True, this does give more longevity, but I just moisturize first and that does a fine job.

I don't think the goal is to get the fragrance into your pores, that is like injecting it in your skin!

Quote Originally Posted by dynendal View Post
    Me too. I didn't like L'Homme at first, but I love it now because it works like my other fragrances.

i just wait until my skin is dry. ill try divatologists method.

No, only because I use an old clawfoot castiron tub. The building is well over a century.

Here's the thing...after bathing I apply olive oil head to toe, hair included. Then about a half hour or so later, right before dressing I spray my day's juice.

Olive oil was used by ancient Romans for grooming even more so than the culinary. I follow this tradition in both. There is no better way to moisturize you epidermal layer and optimize the longevity of you scent. Enhance it as well.

Remember to dip your bread it it too. You'll smell much nicer if you don't have lard coming out of your pores.

There are scents which need in my case even a longer interval after shower. One good example is Clive Christian 1872. (OK guys, I just have a sample froma reseller friend, but it will keep till the end of the world). If I apply it within about two hours, it wouldn't develop - I don't really know the reason.

I spray right after I shower and dry off. I get super longevity out of most scents.

Quote Originally Posted by scentsitivity View Post
    I spray right after I shower and dry off. I get super longevity out of most scents.
    You mean spray it on my wet body first and then dry off? I'm getting a little bit confused

I spray after a shower and have no problems with longevity.

Basenotes Institution

I wait until I'm dry, cool and almost fully dressed before I apply my fragrances - works for me.

I would use Diva's method, but with my oily skin, I would have major body acne applying moisturizer daily. Which is ok - since having incredible longevity is not always important for me. I like to wear 3-4 scents a day, so average longevity is fine with me.

I read Divatologist's post last Thursday night and tried it out immediately, Friday morning that is. She is definitely onto something there. I usually get good longevity with 90% of the fragrances I use. However, with this method since last friday, I get greater longevity. Am using this method as I go thorugh all of my fragrances individually.

I am curious, does everyone take their shower or bath in the morning?
    I have always bathed at night; why bring the whole dirty world to bed with yourself.
    But anyway.
    After showering (at night) I apply body creme, not usually where I apply sent because the creme is scented, then I apply my scent. I am able to smell my scent all night long, when I awake during the night that is.
    In the morning I just apply another scent before dressing. If a little of the prior evenings scent lingers, I will wear something in the same family.

Also, I have to know. Why do so many people bath in the morning time? What are you doing while you sleep that requires bathing? They do make lovely linen sprays to keep the bed fresh, if you do not like to change it (at least once a week). Just wondering.
    Last edited by Brielle87; 6th April 2009 at 11:06 PM.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser sa source

Personally, showering in the AM wakes me up - along with a my venti americano - though I agree that showering in the evening is a good idea as well, and that's what I'll do if I've worked out or if I have time.

I've found a really light, unscented spray-on moisturizer (Patricia Wexler Skin-Quenching Calming Mist) that I'll use for low-sillage fragrances to try to help them 'stick' a little better, but usually a massive OD of the fragrance works just as well as moisturizer.

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    I have always bathed at night; why bring the whole dirty world to bed with yourself.
    But anyway...
    Also, I have to know. Why do so many people bath in the morning time? What are you doing while you sleep that requires bathing? They do make lovely linen sprays to keep the bed fresh, if you do not like to change it (at least once a week). Just wondering.
    Like you, I bathe and shower at night because I do not want to bring the dirt and funk of the day into the bed with me. But, I also (quick) shower in the morning to help wake and warm myself up.
    "Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel."

Quote Originally Posted by Brielle87 View Post
    But anyway.
    After showering (at night) I apply body creme, not usually where I apply sent because the creme is scented, then I apply my scent. I am able to smell my scent all night long, when I awake during the night that is.
    In the morning I just apply another scent before dressing. If a little of the prior evenings scent lingers, I will wear something in the same family.

There's not a shower time habit for me, but I always shower before I go out, so mostly it's the morning, I shower at night too if I workout

Along these lines, what's an inexpensive, drugstore available moisturizer?

Quote Originally Posted by Butthead53 View Post
    Along these lines, what's an inexpensive, drugstore available moisturizer?
    Drug stores should have a house brand moisturizer, usually with Oatmeal. Those are good enough. Plus, a small bottle lasts you forever. I think I bought mine from London Drugs here in Canada for $6 and I doubt I've even gotten to 3/4.

Sure, as long as I apply a deodorant (possibly, but not necessarily, unscented or matching the fragrance). As soon as I know that my feeling of cleanliness is "secured", locked in on my skin by both the shower and the deodorant, bring on the fragrance, which can happen almost instantly after that or later that day.