Code of Conduct

Arrow Do men care about how they smell more than women do?

By the time I entered the forum, there were 50 viewing the Male fragrance discussion and only 9 viewing Female fragrance discussion, that's a 5 times difference. I find this kind of funny, what do you guys think? Are men way more meticulous about themselves than women? Or is it just that men are more sensual about the scents?
    Perfume noob

Default Re: Do men care about how they smell more than women do?

I've wondered about this myself. I think on average when I come here, there are 40 odd viewers of the male section and significantly less of the female. I have a theory to propose as to why this is: the world of male grooming is a rapidly expanding market. When it comes to fragrances, there are consequently a large number of men who need information on the topic. The Internet is a natural place to look in this day and age, and Basenotes is probably one of the best websites to go to (I've only recently got into fragrances, and have found if very helpful, cheers guys). Also, women are less likely on the whole to need to do Internet research on the topic as they have traditionally been informed from other sources (friends, older relatives, magazines, etc). What do the rest of you think?

One could not probably attribute this difference in the number of men and women involved in this forum, but I would like to add another possible reason. Could it be the remnants of the hunter instict? Most of us here are either trying to find THE perfume or try to test as many fragrances as possible from the ones available.

I'll say this...the men on this site care more about how they smell, than most women care about how men smell. I think as far as the ladies go, for the most part, they simply do not want us to stink. They just want us clean, by and large. I'd wager that a fair number of women prefer their guys wear NO cologne at all.

With that said, my wife really likes for me to wear nice smelling scents, and she has felt the same way for the last twenty years.

Oh my, lots of assumptions here.

I believe Basenotes started out specifically as a men's fragrance site before it broadened its audience, and this has contributed to the proportion of male to female here. There are other fragrance sites that appear to have a larger proportion of women to men, and I think a lot of it is just timing & targeting.

Basenotes Institution

Basenotes has typically always had more men as members - therefore it doesn't surprise me that more men are viewing/posting/etc. and doing this more often on the Male Discussion boards.

Of course, Makeup Alley and Perfume of Life (and other sites) have tons of women as members and the exact opposite happens over there.

DIfferent folks for different strokes, as they say.

Do men, per se, care about how they smell more than women do? I don't think so. Caring about how you smell is not defined by gender (or age, or sexual orientation or eye color or blood type or...).
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 2nd April 2009 at 07:23 PM.

There's also the part where posting online to a fragrance message board is ridiculously dorky and most women I know would laugh it off. Men seem to be more comfy with this sort of stuff anyways. Who knows.

My impression is that this forum is NOT indicative of society at large. It's just that this particular forum has a bit of a 'sausage-fest' vibe about it, so some women are just not going to join in or stick around.

There are other perfume forums on the web, and I think the gender ratio is far different there.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Basenotes has typically always had more men as members - therefore it doesn't surprise me that more men are viewing/posting/etc. and doing this more often on the Male Discussion boards.

Of course, Makeup Alley and Perfume of Life (and other sites) have tons of women as members and the exact opposite happens over there.

DIfferent folks for different strokes, as they say.

Do men, per se, care about how they smell more than women do? I don't think so. Caring about how you smell is not defined by gender (or age, or sexual orientation or eye color or blood type or...).

I did have MUA in mind while I wrote my response though, so I guess maybe Basenotes just isn't the place for the ladies. Go walk into Sephora/Ulta Beauty and the only section for men is Fragrance, with a few shaving suppies. Women have much more to discuss, and maybe that's why a fragrance-focused board isn't for them,compared to MUA.

Mengels, my wife thinks collecting frags and posting to Basenotes is TREMENDOUSLY silly, so I'm going with your theory --- in addition to the perception that Basenotes is a mostly male community.

Another theory is that most women do NOT like to share intel with each other, whereas with men, it's the divine brotherhood of trying to score that drives convivial intel sharing.....

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post
    Mengels, my wife thinks collecting frags and posting to Basenotes is TREMENDOUSLY silly, so I'm going with your theory --- in addition to the perception that Basenotes is a mostly male community.

Another theory is that most women do NOT like to share intel with each other, whereas with men, it's the divine brotherhood of trying to score that drives convivial intel sharing.....
    I like your ridiculous sounding theory better though. Let's go with that.

My answer to the question posed by this thread would be, generally speaking absolutely not.

Of course there are guys who take a major interest in fragrance but I'm sure there are many more that couldn't care less or just wear whatever they are given as a present without giving it a lot of thought. On the other hand I suspect most women wouldn't dream of ever leaving the house without applying perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by tang View Post
    Oh my, lots of assumptions here.

I believe Basenotes started out specifically as a men's fragrance site before it broadened its audience, and this has contributed to the proportion of male to female here. There are other fragrance sites that appear to have a larger proportion of women to men, and I think a lot of it is just timing & targeting.
    Yep, that's the answer. I believe only within the last couple of years has a women's board been added. Head over to MUA and it seems like men are almost non-existant.

Yeah, there are many other perfume forums where there are nary a guy in sight. So, any guy interested in the hobby ends up here, but women could end up at a number of any other forums.

depends on mentality, in poland there is way more wormen caring of what they wear, men do whatever whats mainstream, and dont care about it i got only some friends from poland who have more than 4 scents
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzˇw

Quote Originally Posted by cpk View Post
    One could not probably attribute this difference in the number of men and women involved in this forum, but I would like to add another possible reason. Could it be the remnants of the hunter instict? Most of us here are either trying to find THE perfume or try to test as many fragrances as possible from the ones available.
    Well met. Scrolling through the 121 reviews of Angel for women on this site, it strikes me that at about one in three of the reviews are written by guys. Angel for men on the other hand, created 4 years later, has over 210 reviews, nearly all written by dudes. As I spent more time on basenotes, I've seen that this is a common theme: popular mens' scents will have far more reviews than equally popular womens' scents, and men commenting on womens' fragrances seems to be considerably more common than women commenting on mens' frags (though there are plenty of exceptions ofcourse).

My conclusion? Sitting around rating stuff and weighing its pros and cons just seems to be a guy thing. Men will easily spend HOURS discussing the ups and downs of various sports teams, cars, computer hardware / software, political programs, movies, music, you name it, men will get a kick out of analyzing it. Yes it's true that women also like to discuss things, but I think the kind of hardcore analyzing and rating of things is just something that men or more interested in than women for whatever psychological or physiological reasons.

Now I have to include my obligatory disclaimer for the Obama's America: I'm not saying that women are inferior to men, of course, merely that men and women are wired differently and have different interests. No offense intended to the men who read romance novels and the women who read Power Tool Monthly who are surely lurking in the shadows ready to pounce while I write this

Cool Re: Do men care about how they smell more than women do?

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan View Post

Oops, looks like my post is redundant. Not only is this more concise than the crap I wrote, I just realized that I forgot to mention getting laid! DAMN!