Code of Conduct

Post Amouage Journey (First 4)

My notes..

1) Lyric for Men - Ok, it is a beautiful rose.. and it's high quality, no question. Longevity and projection are mildly impressive.. but it's linear on my skin. Its development is not dramatic and the rose isn't blended nicely like it is in Black Aoud, No. 88, or my absolute favorite (and MUST HAVE) Homage. Vibert said it perfectly when he noted that Amouage must do better, at their price points, with the competition offering a nicer rose in more enjoyable fragrances.

2) Gold for Men - This one was a scrubber. My apologies in advance for fans of this fragrance. "Honey and cat pee"? Yes.. "urinal water"? Yes. Sickening.. Is this the Amouage "flagship" scent? What a shame. Monster silage, projection and longevity - it kept me awake last night. It smelled unclean - disturbingly so. I would never ever wear this.. and I'd love to hear some people step up and tell me where I'm going wrong.

3) Dia for Men - Absolutely gorgeous. It reminds me of several extremely high quality fragrances. The transformation is just beautiful. THIS is luxury, opulence and an absolutely spectacular offering. Longevity, silage, projection are perfect. Worth purchasing a full bottle without question.

4) Ciel for Men - Well yes.. I see how people can see it being generic. The honey seems to really clash with other things going on in the opening, which is fresh and bright. I got annoyed with it, but not sickened. Longevity and silage are paltry. Add the fact the price is high, being Amouage, I'll enjoy the rest of my 2ml sample and doubt I'll find any further need to return to Ciel.

Thanks -

Default Re: Amouage Journey (First 4)

Thanks for your impressions. I wasn't crazy about Lyric either...it's nice, but not for that price. Going to try the women's next time to see if they did better there.

Did you not try Jubilation XXV? My fav from the line by a mile.

My two favorites from Amouage are Jubilation XXV and Dia for men and I agree with You about Gold for Men, I got to sample that the other dy at bergdorf

I agree, I was very underwhelmed with Lyric. However, I was extremely impressed with Reflection!

Dia is exquisite. However, if I had to pick just one Amouage, I would definitely at this point go with Reflection. I am actually waiting for it to be released in the more modern 100 ml flask.

Best,

TJ

So guys anyone mind describing Dia? I have only tried Arcus which was grossly fruity and Reflection which I found too sweet. Interested in trying some more.

I have yet to try Reflection, Arcus, Jubilation XXV, Cirrus or any of the "For Women/Pour Femme" line. I'll post my thoughts on those next.

mtgprox05 - Dia, to me, is able to be delicate and masculine at the same time. The incense, amber and vetiver shine through beautifully. I already noted it was extremely opulent and luxurious - note pyramid is as follows (from BN):

If I can't afford Homage at $400 + tax, for 12ml, Dia seems the next best thing.. though without the beautiful dark rose, frankincense and oud.

Quote Originally Posted by TigerJuice View Post
    I agree, I was very underwhelmed with Lyric. However, I was extremely impressed with Reflection!

Dia is exquisite. However, if I had to pick just one Amouage, I would definitely at this point go with Reflection. I am actually waiting for it to be released in the more modern 100 ml flask.

Best,

TJ
    Having tried all of these, my favourites are Dia, Reflection and Jubilation XXV. I would say its a dead heat for me. At first application I thought Reflection was going to be a scrubber, with too much of an aquatic/fresh note, but once it settled, I found it to be a superb and sophisticated blend of vetiver, sandalwood and patchouli, so seamless I couldn't differentiate between these base notes, but the whole being definitely greater than the sum of its parts. Highly recommended.

I LOVE Lyric Man, but I agree with you in that it's not as nice as Homage.

I bought a 8ml decant of Lyric Man, and for me, it's worth the money that way.

Jubilation XXV is ok, not my cup of tea

I own a bottle of Reflection Man, I love wearing it during the warmer months of the year.

Dia is exquisite...it lasts all day, it's a very round, smooth and buttery floral/iincense scent. I like it better than Jubilation..

i am dying to try lyric.....

as soon as i can i am buying a bottle of homage!

the first time i smelled Dia I bought a bottle! wonderful stuff!!!!

you should try the jubilation 25 for women. i know its for women but its great stuff too!

damn it i just went to order samples of reflection and luckyscent dosent have it
    Last edited by dredmahawkus; 3rd April 2009 at 05:20 PM.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

By the way, where can you purchase Amouage Homage from UK retailers? How much would it cost in UK?

Quote Originally Posted by ultranova3 View Post
    By the way, where can you purchase Amouage Homage from UK retailers? How much would it cost in UK?
    I think the best place to pick up a bottle is ParfumsRaffy.com - they list it for $350, plus about $17 for S&H to overseas.

Quote Originally Posted by ultranova3 View Post
    You can purchase directly on their website I believe.

Last night I tried Jubiliation XXV (For Men), Reflection, and Silver Cologne.

Silver Cologne reminded me a bit of Creed's Royal Water. It must share at least 2 notes in common. It faded the most rapidly of the 3 I tried, but while it lasted it was divine. Does anybody else see the similarities to RW? I think I'd have chosen Silver Cologne over Creed's RW if I had that choice at the time. "Silver Snuggles" is what foetidus calls it.. though I'm not sure it is the most masculine of the Amouage fragrances I've tried. That might go to Dia.

Reflection is still with me this morning. In the dry down it has a sweet vanilla (or is that musk?) with something else I'm unable to put my finger on - tobacco?. Nice projection and silage! I was worried at first that this was going to end up sneaking in some of the Amouage Gold "dirty" notes as it settled. Not at all. It's solid - crisp, and reminds me of a more "manly" FM Musc Ravageur with more complexity and opulence. Anybody who wears Tom Ford's Tobacco Vanille would enjoy this one, I think. I'd consider it, as I don't have anything along these lines in my wardrobe.

Jubilation XXV is a winner. I'd give this one and Reflection a perfect 5/5. The one thing I noticed is that it stays closer to my skin than the others did. It is the most complex of the 3 and easily the most beautiful. Franincense, amber, patchouli, vetiver? No wonder I enjoy it. The dry down is soft - very soft and beautiful. It reminds me of an extremely luxurious soap - not soapy, but the scent lingering on my skin is addictive.

Homage is still my favorite.. it's like a Stradivarius violin - the most special fragrance I've ever had the pleasure of experiencing to date, I'd say. It outperforms any of the other Amouage scents if I'm basing that on their complexity and mysterious allure. It's hard for me to pit them against one another, as they are all gems in their own right.

I'm going to give all of these "full wearings" and plan to, at some point, have a wardrobe with multiple Amouage fragrances. Could it be that at some point wear nothing but Amouage?

At this point in my life I feel like I've just taken several high-end cars for test drives. Have I reached the "level" where I could have 4 full bottles of Amouage and wear them daily? I don't think so. I have too many things to accomplish first before I could justify it to myself. I'd be way out of my element driving a Bentley and I think the same applies to wearing Amouage.

There are too many other fragrances that are tried, tested and true loves in my wardrobe right now. Despite that, I'm conerned it won't stop my fascination for Amouage.

Quote Originally Posted by AnthonyDG View Post
    Last night I tried Jubiliation XXV (For Men), Reflection, and Silver Cologne.

Silver Cologne reminded me a bit of Creed's Royal Water. It must share at least 2 notes in common. It faded the most rapidly of the 3 I tried, but while it lasted it was divine. Does anybody else see the similarities to RW? I think I'd have chosen Silver Cologne over Creed's RW if I had that choice at the time. "Silver Snuggles" is what foetidus calls it.. though I'm not sure it is the most masculine of the Amouage fragrances I've tried. That might go to Dia.
    So is this the same one listed at Luckyscent as Silver Man?

I think so.. it is Silver Cologne on my 2ml vial, but the notes seem to match. I'm very new to Amouage, so I'm not 100% certain.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    So is this the same one listed at Luckyscent as Silver Man?

I think so.. it is Silver Cologne on my 2ml vial, but the notes seem to match. I'm very new to Amouage, so I'm not 100% certain.

yeah i got a sample from luckyscent today....aedes has it too....none of them have reflection i really wanted to try...is it gone? i also got a ubar and lyric.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!

How is Ubar?

Quote Originally Posted by dredmahawkus View Post
    yeah i got a sample from luckyscent today....aedes has it too....none of them have reflection i really wanted to try...is it gone? i also got a ubar and lyric.

i dont know yet i just ordered them today...silver man ubar and lyric.....i already have a 50ml of dia because its incredible...and samples of jubilation xxv 25 and homage. ....the 25 although its for women is really good too. some day better then the xxv but i like the xxv better.

i really wish amouage wasnt so expensive cuz i think it is my favorite house.

my stuff for sale!

I'm looking forward to trying more Amouage scents, but I am not at all under the illusion that just because they cost more they necessarily use higher quality ingredients than any other niche house (or even some designers).

I'd love to sniff Homage. I wonder if it is really as good as people say or if that old "I'm drinking $500 a bottle wine, it's (obviously!) SO much better than that $10 stuff" type of perception (remember the research posted on that.. where people actually did enjoy the cheap wine more when they were led to believe it was the expensive stuff?) coming into play.

That being said I really enjoy the only Amouage I've tried - Arcus. Many call it generic but I don't really see scents that way - it smells different than every other aquatic I've tried and by the logic people use if incense scents were as popular as aquatics, many CdGs, Gucci PH, etc would be "generic." That doesn't change the fact that they are all still distinct entities and should be judged on their own merits, and to me the merits of Arcus are a wonderfully salty geranium heart, an enjoyable and not-so-rich-as-Creed ambergris base, and a wonderful opening of lime and fig. It's good and I really enjoy it. It's just out of my price range. Or rather.. its value doesn't match its price, imo.
    Last edited by SculptureOfSoul; 4th April 2009 at 02:16 AM.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    I'm looking forward to trying more Amouage scents, but I am not at all under the illusion that just because they cost more they necessarily use higher quality ingredients than any other niche house (or even some designers).

I'd love to sniff Homage. I wonder if it is really as good as people say or if that old "I'm drinking $500 a bottle wine, it's (obviously!) SO much better than that $10 stuff" type of perception (remember the research posted on that.. where people actually did enjoy the cheap wine more when they were led to believe it was the expensive stuff?) coming into play.

That being said I really enjoy the only Amouage I've tried - Arcus. Many call it generic but I don't really see scents that way - it smells different than every other aquatic I've tried and by the logic people use if incense scents were as popular as aquatics, many CdGs, Gucci PH, etc would be "generic." That doesn't change the fact that they are all still distinct entities and should be judged on their own merits, and to me the merits of Arcus are a wonderfully salty geranium heart, an enjoyable and not-so-rich-as-Creed ambergris base, and a wonderful opening of lime and fig. It's good and I really enjoy it. It's just out of my price range. Or rather.. its value doesn't match its price, imo.
    I've finally tried somethign other than Arcus.. both Lyric and Reflection have proved my instincts wrong. I can't speak for all Amouage fragrances, but these two definitely use higher quality ingredients. I'd be willing to bet that Reflection is at least 50% natural, or at least the huge doses of orris, ylang, and jasmine are natural.

Whether or not I like all of their fragrances is irrelevant to the fact that I now have huge respect for Amouage as a niche line. In comparison they make certain other niche lines look like amateurs.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Thnx for sharin your thoughts Anthony

if i have to choose fragrances from one house to be my signature scent? it'd be Amouage...and of what i have tested..XXV & Lyric. tht said, im yet to sample Dia, Gold & Hommage (which im sure will exceed my expectations).

Amouage releases scents fit for kings, It's Opulence personified.
    Last edited by jenson; 13th July 2009 at 01:06 PM.

My pleasure, Jenson

I've changed my favorites after wearing all of the Amouage fragrances multiple times since the first post. I haven't obtained a full bottle of any of them yet, but in order..

1) Reflection Man
    2) Dia Man
    3) Jubilation XXV

And I'm omitting Homage only because it's an obvious favorite, though at the same time way too expensive for me to consider. I think I'd get a lot more out of Reflection.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    Thnx for sharin your thoughrs Anthony

if i have to choose fragrances from one house to be my signature scent? it'd be XXV & Lyric. tht said, im yet to sample Dia, Gold & Hommage (which im sure will exceed my expectations).

Amouage releases scent fit for kings, It's Opulence personified.

1) Reflection Man
    2) Dia Man
    3) Jubilation XXV

shudnt tht list be upside down?
    Last edited by jenson; 13th July 2009 at 02:05 PM.

My absolute favorite continues to be Dia, followed by XXV and Reflection Man. However, I have found an attar that surpasses Reflection in just about every arena, a lovely concoction of Iris, woods, muscs, sandalwood and some other floral accords. Extremely potent too, and 24+ hour lasting. Phew!

PVC and Leather. A Chain and a feather

Homage is my favorite Amouage by far! I love Lyric, but I do agree that there are better rose scents out there. Dia is also quite nice, it's not my favorite out of this line, but I am well aware of its quality.

I have yet to try Gold, Ciel, and Cirrus, but from the reviews here, I'm thinking I could probobly pass on these scents and not be missing out on much.

Blog Entries

If one can exclude the price factor, this is one of the best niche houses (and one of the very few ones who put effort into their creations). My current favorites (in this pecking order) are Dia for Men, Silver for Men, Reflection for Men, Gold for Men, Dia parfum for Women and Jubilation 25 for Women
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

The only Duchafour creations I've tried (Timbuktu, Fleur de Liane) come off smelling a bit synthetic to me, at least at some stage in their development. Does XXV have any synthetic vibe to it? I'm assuming Gold for men does, with its reported huge dose of aldehydes and civet. Of course, perhaps even a large dose of aldehydes can be properly masked with enough other high quality ingredients.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!

Blog Entries

I believe besides Profumum Olibanum, Jubilation has the purest incense accord without being loaded with ISO-Super.

The only Duchafour creations I've tried (Timbuktu, Fleur de Liane) come off smelling a bit synthetic to me, at least at some stage in their development. Does XXV have any synthetic vibe to it? I'm assuming Gold for men does, with its reported huge dose of aldehydes and civet. Of course, perhaps even a large dose of aldehydes can be properly masked with enough other high quality ingredients.
    Offsite Sales - Updated June7th

Vintage Dia, Vetiver Dry, Angel parfum, Opium parfum for Sale:
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/215962

XXV is "the" Incense frag...cant think of any other fragrance with such a feel...even after 8 hrs, it wud've u engaged by its remarkable composition & the quality of ingredients used..

SoS - i hope u wud test it using an atomiser.. it'd be an experience u wudnt forget, i can tell you tht

LOL It might be at some point! I guess there was one very fine evening I wore Reflection when it had a chance to really shine. Compliments galore, and I was enjoying my sillage for hours and hours from 3 sprays.

Quote Originally Posted by jenson View Post
    shudnt tht list be upside down?

Does every bottle still come with the small paper signed by the artist who crafted and filled it? That's classy.

I posted a link to a YouTube video a while ago showing a small tour of the Amouage factory. It's true - one of the best niche houses.

Quote Originally Posted by Mudassir View Post
    If one can exclude the price factor, this is one of the best niche houses (and one of the very few ones who put effort into their creations). My current favorites (in this pecking order) are Dia for Men, Silver for Men, Reflection for Men, Gold for Men, Dia parfum for Women and Jubilation 25 for Women

I've finally tried somethign other than Arcus.. both Lyric and Reflection have proved my instincts wrong. I can't speak for all Amouage fragrances, but these two definitely use higher quality ingredients. I'd be willing to bet that Reflection is at least 50% natural, or at least the huge doses of orris, ylang, and jasmine are natural.

Whether or not I like all of their fragrances is irrelevant to the fact that I now have huge respect for Amouage as a niche line. In comparison they make certain other niche lines look like amateurs.
    SOS, I would love to hear your opinions on Dia for Men and Gold for Men. Personally Dia, has been the really winner out of all the Amouage I have tried, I think it truly shows best how high quality there scents are.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 13th July 2009 at 06:21 PM.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I am wearing Dia (Men) as my SotD today. Long story short, i love the way i smell! Dia stays close to the skin, but what opulence, what quality! It opens not with a blast, but with a rich enveloping aura of soft citrus, florals and spice (in what order i cant tell). I am over two hours into wearing and the subtle leather and patchouli have kicked in. What i love the most, experience-wise is the wafts of opulence i get anytime i move. I am looking forward to a short stint in the sun (rainy weather permitting) where i know Dia goes into overdrive. the Omanis must love this in their climate.

I also have Lyric (Men) which seems not to get good "press" here. So far, it is my best rose fragrance. Understated elegance. I appreciate why some are underwhelmed by Lyric, but i believe Amouage stayed true to the purity of the ingredients, not infusing anything that would have toned things up a bit more.

A quest of mine is to buy Amouage Gold. I love skanky scents and have no problems with "loudness". On a lighter note, Vibert's opener: “Egads! Honeyed cat pee...." in the Reviews is what sold Gold irreversibly to me (never smelt it before) as i love honey (SL's Miel de Bois) and civet. I am ready to be embraced (for the better, i hope) by the "experience".

Amouage is a House to be respected.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!