Code of Conduct

Default This hobby is INSANE!

Let me start off by telling you all I forgive you all for making me broke!

Why does there have to be this many wonderful male fragrances out there! I own like 70 different bottles. like many many decants and like 250 samples. How am I possibly going to use all this stuff???!!!! I never get to wear the stuff I love cuz i am too busy wearing the stuff I LOVEEE! I have bottles where if I had no other bottle but that bottle I would'nt mind at all wearing it every single day....but I cant even wear it once cuz i am too busy wearing everything else! royal aoud I love it! I havent worn it for like 2 weeks! black aoud i love havent worn it in 2 weeks! dia how can I wear Dia when I have so many other things I have to test? I bought bottles of Erolfa and Wall St like a month ago and I havent even worn them yet! Then once I think i have enough and I convince myself that I dont need anything else, I smell Dior Homme. OMG I even love this synthetic smell!!! I love a synthetic! jeez I have to get a bottle of this! By the way make sure when you go to Paris to pick me up a bell jar.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Default Re: This hobby is INSANE!

Quote Originally Posted by dredmahawkus View Post
    Let me start off by telling you all I forgive you all for making me broke!

Why does there have to be this many wonderful male fragrances out there! I own like 70 different bottles. like many many decants and like 250 samples. How am I possibly going to use all this stuff???!!!! I never get to wear the stuff I love cuz i am too busy wearing the stuff I LOVEEE! I have bottles where if I had no other bottle but that bottle I would'nt mind at all wearing it every single day....but I cant even wear it once cuz i am too busy wearing everything else! royal aoud I love it! I havent worn it for like 2 weeks! black aoud i love havent worn it in 2 weeks! dia how can I wear Dia when I have so many other things I have to test? I bought bottles of Erolfa and Wall St like a month ago and I havent even worn them yet! Then once I think i have enough and I convince myself that I dont need anything else, I smell Dior Homme. OMG I even love this synthetic smell!!! I love a synthetic! jeez I have to get a bottle of this! By the way make sure when you go to Paris to pick me up a bell jar.

Less expensive though than buying/owning/consuming great Bordeaux First Growths, Vintage Oporto from superior years or Burgundy that rates in the high 90 point range. Smaller bottles for sure, but you can enjoy 'consuming' from one bottle so many more times before the bottle content hits the punt and those near you will probably enjoy it also!
    Last edited by kbe; 2nd April 2009 at 11:30 PM.
    Our job is to live joyfully in this world of sorrows--Joseph Campbell

Geez you do have it bad, don't you dredmahawkus? kbe-you enabler, you! That's the ticket, give him more excuses, lol! I don't know. Maybe someday I'll be in the same boat, as it were-I have much to learn (grasshopper) and many bottles to collect before I can join the ranks of connoisseurs such as yourselves...
    ~~~~~~~~Pulsing veins of green rushing nutrients through unfurling leaflets , dirty-faced little blooms poking their sleepy heads up through cold March dirt...the promising scent of unfallen rain hanging heavy in the dark cloud-ladden air...Oh the beauty of Spring here in the country!

I feel ya
    its getting there for me
    God help us all
    Off-Site Decants =) (updated 05/16/12)
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic....7994440fd3c0ab

I was just telling my cousin the exact same thing! I think I have like 10 Liters of perfumes total. This will last for two lifetimes if not more!!

I think the only solution is to stop sampling and avoid going to any perfume stores or sections since every perfume we like ends up in my room at the end of the day!

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

I agree with Zooza-- just stop smelling new ones for a while! Or consider buying decants instead of full bottles.

If and when you feel you have too much, just take a peek at JaimeB 's wardrobe... all things then will feel much better!

Before I joined BN, I have about 10 frags in my wardrobe and I'm quite satisfied.

After six months at BN, I have more than 200 frags and I'm not satisfied. Is something wrong with me?

Aren't most hobbies? Think about golf for a minute...and most of the world can't play year-round. Think about sailboats? How many sit in harbors while people work to pay for them? You can go overboard in model trains if you wanted to. At least this is better than collecting stamps, scrapbooking, less fattening than baking, less expensive than jewelery...

Come to think of it, gardening might be the only other hobby that can provide an equivalent olfactory experience. The fresh lilacs in bloom, the smell of a bed of fragrant narcissus, my hyacinths that I smelled from the back yard last month (as the breeze carried the scent), fresh crabapple and apple blossoms, even freshly mowed grass.

Jeez, I'm writing this on a packed commuter train...

If you can still work, pay the mortgage, the bills, feed and clothe the kids and pay attention them, and your mate...no harm, no foul.
    Last edited by boston; 8th May 2009 at 07:40 PM.

My collection jumped from 10 to 100+ bottles after I joined Basenotes. We're all enablers here. =)

Quote Originally Posted by boston View Post
    ... If you can still work, pay the mortgage, the bills, feed and clothe the kids and pay attention them, and your mate...no harm, no foul.
    Totally agree. But still, money spent in perfumes could be saved and used in other more useful things. That is what bothers me.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    I agree with Zooza-- just stop smelling new ones for a while! Or consider buying decants instead of full bottles.
    even better, consider buying samples instead of decants! Then you can join us on the neighboring thread "My new obsession - sample purchasing" :-)

Quote Originally Posted by zooza View Post
    I think the only solution is to stop sampling and avoid going to any perfume stores
    Or to get pregnant. But I guess that wouldn't work for some.
    [I]"Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere."[/I] -- [URL="http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?p=1496120#post1496120"]Inselaffe[/URL]

Even in my nauseous state, I am still eyeing those 30 ml bottle sales at Neil Morris.
    [I]"Embrace those things which give you pleasure, after all, there is so much mediocrity to endure elsewhere."[/I] -- [URL="http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?p=1496120#post1496120"]Inselaffe[/URL]

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by xmen View Post
    Before I joined BN, I have about 10 frags in my wardrobe and I'm quite satisfied.

After six months at BN, I have more than 200 frags and I'm not satisfied. Is something wrong with me?

You don't say my friend, you don't say....

Quote Originally Posted by xmen View Post

I could myself ending up this way...

Originally Posted by xmen View Post

Quote Originally Posted by KingMillions View Post
    I could myself ending up this way...

I know exactly what you mean. My screen name on another site is Sed Non Satiata (the name of a poem I love, but also translates as something very close to She is Still not Satisfied. A name I chose playfully, but that has some truth at the center when it comes to fragrances.

However, I begun to change my attitude about this, after an initial ned to contstantly put out the fire by buying new fragrances.

Now I and realize the goal ( for me) is not the Holy Grail search for The One. I dont' even need to own each fragrance I love.

The fun is simply to stop and smell the "flowers" as I go along, enjoy all the perfumes, even the ones I don't like--in fact, the ones I don't like and don't want to buy are often the most fun to appreciate and discuss.

With this in mind, I've been thinning out my collection trying to keep FBs only if I wear them a lot or simply must keep the gorgeous bottle (esp. the vintages I've acquired).

I love having decants and samples around for reference, and I've been trading these more and more often.

Maybe this is an attitude that could help a few others out there: that there is no quest no goal, no itch to satisfy, just lots of pleasure sniffing our way through life.

Thinking of our love of perfume as a gateway to experience rather than acquisition.
    It doesn't happen over night, but it works. And it is very satisfying.
    Last edited by Nostalgie; 10th May 2009 at 01:48 PM.
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post

Maybe this is an attitude that could help a few others out there: that there is no quest no goal, no itch to satisfy, just lots of pleasure sniffing our way through life.

Thinking of our love of perfume as a gateway to experience rather than acquisition.
    It doesn't happen over night, but it works. And it is very satisfying.
    How very Zen.
    All joking aside, that *is* what I've been trying to do. And it does bring me more profound pleasure than flitting from one great discovery to the next (although that's inevitable in the early discovery stages, I suppose)
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

It just got insaner!

While we were at Sears Friday buying a new dryer, my husband got the bright idea of getting a mini fridge for our bedroom-- to keep our current perfume bottles closer to hand and to ease the congestion in our downstairs fridge where we were storing them.

Rather than buying on impulse we decided to check out what Home Deport and Lowe's had to offer on Saturday. None of their models suited our purpose so well as the one we had seen at Sears. So back we went! For $169.99 we found a 4.6 cu. ft. Kenmore model with perfectly-spaced glass shelves and additional room on the door-- here is the link to it if you are curious (we have that second shelf spaced lower so there are three levels for bottles stored upright:

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...0070921x00003a

Our backup bottles and perfumed body products are still in the fridge downstairs, but it's nice having our current bottles right here. I suppose I won't need to decant anymore into 5 ml. atomizers except for travel-- let's face it, there is pleasure to be had in the feel and heft of the manufacturer's bottle.

I'm still chuckling at my husband's having come up with this idea on his own-- he who used to be completely indifferent to perfumes. Lately he's been saying he wants to go to NYC to visit Aedes de Venustas.
    It's safe to say he's a goner.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 10th May 2009 at 09:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    It just got insaner!

While we were at Sears Friday buying a new dryer, my husband got the bright idea of getting a mini fridge for our bedroom-- to keep our current perfume bottles closer to hand and to ease the congestion in our downstairs fridge where we were storing them.

I'm still chuckling at my husband's having come up with this idea on his own-- he who used to be completely indifferent to perfumes. Lately he's been saying he wants to go to NYC to visit Aedes de Venustas.
    It's safe to say he's a goner.
    I'd say he's a keeper!
    "You...put on cologne to write?"(From Midnight in Paris)

Stop by for a chat: http://perfumedletters.wordpress.com/
    My book reviews: http://www.nstperfume.com/author/Cheryl/

Hillaire

I would like to share a story. That helps me get grounded. A lady I know's mother passed away last year at a ripe old age .She was a legend of elegance and discernment. She was also a huge fan of Zibeline.
    After her death, family members had to unload a massive fridge full of of Zibeline bottles from a designed-for -the-purpose-of-their-storage refrigerator.
    I don't want that to happen to me. I am always fantasizing about which three scents I could live on... and having a raffle for the rest...

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    I would like to share a story. That helps me get grounded. A lady I know's mother passed away last year at a ripe old age .She was a legend of elegance and discernment. She was also a huge fan of Zibeline.
    After her death, family members had to unload a massive fridge full of of Zibeline bottles from a designed-for -the-purpose-of-their-storage refrigerator.
    I don't want that to happen to me. I am always fantasizing about which three scents I could live on... and having a raffle for the rest...
    Vintage Zibeline would probably get a lot on eBay! So not so bad to get inheritance like that.

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nostalgie View Post
    I'd say he's a keeper!
    Oh yeah!

I've got about as many bottles, decants, and samples as you. The key is to swap, rather than buy more. And if you get something in a swap you don't like, take a look at what it's selling for on ebay. I didn't like the Eau Sauvage FC I got in a swap, so I sold it on ebay for a nice profit. Then that money was used to make a frag purchase (of course!) but I got a great deal. I won't make money off this hobby overall, but I might wind up only spending around $15 per 100 ml bottle, which is great, considering that I have several expensive bottles at this point.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 12th May 2009 at 08:40 PM.

I never counted my liters but I promise to come back to you fine ladies and gentlemen of Basenotes as soon as I have some conclusive and complete data on this subject.

Blog Entries

So here goes... I have decided to turn this portion of the thread into The Self-Imposed Intervention aka; Do-it-Yourself AAA Perfume Over-Buyer's Oath

Uh, I'd like to take it......
    I do!

Well I think i have a problem as well. I just bought a 8.4 Flacon of Creed. I havent sprayed a drop, but Im thinking of buying another one because the scent is now back in the vault. Debating paying almost 800 bucks in one month on one scent that I havent even really used yet..

So help me

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    So here goes... I have decided to turn this portion of the thread into The Self-Imposed Intervention aka; Do-it-Yourself AAA Perfume Over-Buyer's Oath

Uh, I'd like to take it......
    I do!
    I just reorganized all of my bottles into one location... they looked much less manic when they were stored in 4-5 different places.
    Sniff and let sniff.

After finding out Guerlain in Montreal had L'Instant PH Extreme I ordered it with total nonchalance.

This after recently acquiring two Tom Ford Private Blend fragrances, a Frederic Malle and a Creed all within a 3-4 week span. I've already had to cancel any plans to travel this summer, so why not?

Blog Entries

I am going to hunker down & go through all my samples. They are badly neglected and need filing. And I am going to put all my "stock" in order. I am already running across forgotten treasures.

Quote Originally Posted by Hillaire View Post
    What happened to all those Zibelines?