Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default So what's next...?

So I'm a relative noob as you know. I recently expanded my measly collection with Bvlgari Aqva, Hugo, and Cool Water again for the first time since college.

I LOVE Aqva, and am really digging Cool Water again. After that I really like my Nautica White Sail and Hugo, followed by Nautica Blue, Hugo XY, and my old standby Curve.

As you can tell from this collection I don't really want to spend a large amount for a single scent. I'm sure they are worth it, but I just don't have the budget for it. I've been buying ~4 oz. testers from Scented Monkey for $30-$40. That's the range I want to stay in for now.

So, based on that selection and price range, what do you think is next for me? I like the aromatics/aquatics best, don't necessarily have to stay in that category. I'm thinking of giving another Bvlgari or Davidoff Adventure a try, but would love some suggestions of where to go from here.

Thanks in advance.

Default Re: So what's next...?

Perry Ellis 360 Red for men or Unbound for men

Blog Entries

Unbound sounds intriguing. It even has ALL positive reviews on this site, which says something in itself. Additionally Scented Monkey has it for less than $15.

Reviews say its similar to AdG, which I haven't been interested in simply because EVERYONE is wearing it. However, most say they actually like it better than AdG. So thank you for the tip. I will have to find me a tester now.

Keep your eye on ebay and pick off a tester of L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme. Going by what you have liked so far Issey might be your holy grail.

Blog Entries

I've considered L'Eau D'Issey several times. It's only slightly above the price range I listed. I've read wonderful reviews and others that have scared me away from it. As a result when it came time to spray something new on in the store, I've gone with something else. I may have to finally give it a try. Especially when you call it my potential "holy grail". Thanks for the suggestion.

You know, it just depends on the nuance you're looking for. Pure aquatic in your price range? Aqua Motu or perhaps Kenzo Pour Homme Fresh..if a little citrus is what you're after then definitely try the Issey on, testers sell for about what you're willing to spend, just don't bid past your budget. L'Eau par Kenzo pour Homme might be one to try out as well since it's a fresh sea breeze through citrus groves. It just depends on how wet you want your aquatics. As always make every effort to try before you buy.

Dependent

with your budget u may want to try ur luck on Boss Aqua Elements

im avid on LDissey and would really reccommend it if u decide to spend a tad more.
    am using XY too and its great, just a tad more expensive.
    on the bvlgari note, im a groupie, ive quite a number of the male range and its consistently been great for me. i'll rate them

1. Bvlgari Extreme (lovely tea and citrus)
    2. Bvlgari Aqua
    3. Bvlgari Soir (Intense tea)
    4. Bvlgari ph (moderate tea notes)
    5. Bvlgari Blu (gingery and herbal, floral)
    6. Bvlgari Black ( very heavy peppery and leathery)
    7. Bvlgari Aqua Marine (honestly its aqua with alot of citrus which imo kills the original woudlnt buy it, got it as a gift bought mistakenly by a mate who thought aqua was aqua marine)

If you like Aqua, you would be pretty happy with their male range.

Quote Originally Posted by thgolfer View Post
    Unbound sounds intriguing. It even has ALL positive reviews on this site, which says something in itself. Additionally Scented Monkey has it for less than $15.

Reviews say its similar to AdG, which I haven't been interested in simply because EVERYONE is wearing it. However, most say they actually like it better than AdG. So thank you for the tip. I will have to find me a tester now.
    Unbound isnt bad, but dont expect much for 14 dollars. In my opinion, Aqua is better than Issey. Ill second the recommendation for L' eau par Kenzo, its a pretty good aquatic. Nautica voyage is also very good, and you should try CK's Euphoria. Estee Lauder's Beyond Paradise seems to be a very love it or hate it scent, and some people find it to be harshly tropical, but I like it and so do other people who I have shown it to, and it can be had pretty cheap. Also, Z by Zegna is a good one.
    Last edited by DerangedGoose; 5th April 2009 at 06:50 PM.

Blog Entries

Thank you everyone for the recommendations. I've been following a couple of threads over in the Male Fragrance Forum on best Summer Scent and Best Feel Good Scent. One that keeps coming up that has peaked my interest is Mugler Cologne. What do you think of it? Would it fit with my taste?

Blog Entries

Matthewfoo, a while back I posted a poll asking which was best between ph, extreme, and soir. The result was pretty much a wash. Very evenly split. I tested all three, and really didn't like Soir or Extreme. Both were too cloying for me, especially Soir. I do like PH quite a bit, but end the end not enough to purchase it. Aqua on the other hand is my current favorite. I LOVE the way it smells, and the way I smell when wearing it.

I have not tried Blu, Blu Notte, Black, or Aqua Marine yet. I'm looking forward to testing all of them. Thanks for the descriptions.

TM's Cologne a very good summer scent, crisp, clean, with just enough of an edge to it to liven things up, However it is very different from the ones you've listed as being scents you like. It's a soapy, almost tart citrus, followed by a tangy but not dirty vetiver. Did I say summer? Nah, it's a good one for any season and just about any occasion but the operative word here is CLEAN. Not marine, not aqua, not really sweet, I'd think this one would most definitely be worth a try for you as you start to branch out just a bit.
    Last edited by noirwest; 6th April 2009 at 02:21 AM. Reason: clarity

Quote Originally Posted by thgolfer View Post
    Thank you everyone for the recommendations. I've been following a couple of threads over in the Male Fragrance Forum on best Summer Scent and Best Feel Good Scent. One that keeps coming up that has peaked my interest is Mugler Cologne. What do you think of it? Would it fit with my taste?
    Test it out at Sephora if you have one close to you. After all the great reviews I thought I was going to like Mugler, but there's something in the drydown that made me take a pass after I tested it out. But I'm probably the exception.
    Last edited by adonis; 6th April 2009 at 04:35 AM.

Blog Entries

Clean is good. That's what attracted me to the Nautica White Sail. So any other suggestions along those lines? It doesn't have to be aquatics. I do think I have them pretty much covered anyway. Branching out for my next purchase would be good.