Code of Conduct

Default Eaux de Colognes: Worth the Moolah?

Hey all. Summer is coming upon us and I am finding myself turning to my eaux samples - particularly Acqua di Parma, Royal Water, and Santa Maria Novella's Acqua di Sicilia.

I have not tried 4711, but I hear things that run the gamut from versatile, to "just as good as Guerlain," to "grandfatherly" (though I might like that last one. I love barber shop scents).

Well, my question is: because of longevity, silage, and other things to consider, is a eaux really worth it in your opinion (i.e. forking over a hundred or so for a SMN or a Guerlain eaux)? Anyone out there just stick to 4711?

I've heard from some people though that it is more cost effective to make your own eauxs. Anyone do this?
    "If a perfume stinks, it's a disaster when she turns off the light." - Jean-Paul Guerlain

Default Re: Eaux de Colognes: Worth the Moolah?

I'm only a year new to this stuff, but I thought Eau de Cologne was a lesser concentrate than Eau de Toilette?

It really depends IMO, on a scent to scent basis. I'm not that up on Guerlain, but I know people have said that some of their EDC are like other companies EDT. I find, for example, Castile, which I think has nice progression and hangs around for a good while is certainly worth the 80.00 or so for 50ml but if it was priced much more than that it would no longer be worth it for me. It really varies to me.

Classic EdC is by definition a light, refreshing fragrance with low sillage and longevity. The more naturals, the less longevity, in general. I honestly do not understand how 4711 has managed to keep up a reputation in the US. It is awful. Thin, cheap, shoddy, heavily and very evidently synthetic - in a bad way. It makes a lot more sense to buy the far superior Roger et Gallet Extra Vieille, which is not that expensive, after all, and is often available cheap on ebay. But for really mind-blowing EdCs you want to try Villoresi's Acqua di Colonia, the Guerlain Eaux, Creed Bois de Cedrat, or, in fact, Acqua di Parma, which lasts longer due to its strong floral heart and richer base. Farina Gegenüber (beware of forgeries) is worth a try if you want a really clear bergamot note, rather than the more common neroli-oriented style. L'Artisan, PG and some other niches also carry an EdC in their range.
    If you really desire something more lasting in an EdC style, try Pour le Jeune Homme from MPG or Monsieur Balmain.
    Last edited by the_good_life; 4th April 2009 at 04:13 PM.
    My Wardrobe
    II est de forts parfums pour qui toute matière/Est poreuse. On dirait qu'ils pénètrent le verre.

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    If you really desire something more lasting in an EdC style, try Pour le Jeune Homme from MPG or Monsieur Balmain.
    Yes, everyone should try it Pour le Jeune Homme, its really good.

I think you can find Guerlain's Eaux for reasonable prices. I bought my Eau du Coq for a very reasonable price.
    Evenstar

I wasn't aware that Royal Water was an Eau de Cologne. It falls under the Millesime line of Creed, which is supposed to be higher in essential oil content, often bordering on Eau de Parfum strength.

Acqua di Parma Colonia is worth it.. but Colonia Assoluta goes a lot further and, while not as "fresh" and invigorating to me as Colonia, is a nicer composition.

PS - What do you think of Royal Water?

Quote Originally Posted by Mengels View Post
    I'm only a year new to this stuff, but I thought Eau de Cologne was a lesser concentrate than Eau de Toilette?
    Yeah, it's meant more as a refresher. Soothing, sparkling splash. Where EDTs and the like are meant for dressing up, EDC is just meant for washing your hands and face. (Just like Aftershave is meant for shaving.)

I think the Guerlain EDCs are fantastic. I really want one. But they smell pretty similar to 4711... hmm.

My mother has vintage 4711 and it's great. I think I might be stealing that a lot during the summer.