Code of Conduct

Default Want a super cheap version of Chinatown ?

I first sampled Chinatown several days ago, just a tiny dab (and I was sampling others as well). It seemed pleasant enough, and worth a full sampling, which I did yesterday. I got a little of it, which was in a dab vial, on the blanket on my bed. I thought it was mildly pleasant at first, but it soon became nauseating, and I couldn't figure out why. However, when I went to bed, I smelled it again, and then a few times over night, when I woke up to it. At some point, it dawned on me that this was the exact same reaction I had to Animale Animale for men, as well as some other frags that were gourmands with lavender. Chinatown and AA for men also share a moss note. I avoid top notes, but the drydowns were very similar (and I got my new 100 ml bottle of AA for $12, which I swapped off a while back). So, if you can't afford Chinatown, you have a frag to look into, and perhaps you will find it as similar as I did.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Want a super cheap version of Chinatown ?

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    I first sampled Chinatown several days ago, just a tiny dab (and I was sampling others as well). It seemed pleasant enough, and worth a full sampling, which I did yesterday. I got a little of it, which was in a dab vial, on the blanket on my bed. I thought it was mildly pleasant at first, but it soon became nauseating, and I couldn't figure out why. However, when I went to bed, I smelled it again, and then a few times over night, when I woke up to it. At some point, it dawned on me that this was the exact same reaction I had to Animale Animale for men, as well as some other frags that were gourmands with lavender. Chinatown and AA for men also share a moss note. I avoid top notes, but the drydowns were very similar (and I got my new 100 ml bottle of AA for $12, which I swapped off a while back). So, if you can't afford Chinatown, you have a frag to look into, and perhaps you will find it as similar as I did.
    I found them completely and utterly different. AA smells like a cheap, albeit good, version of A*MEN or, even, New Harlem. BTW, you swapped your bottle of AA to me a while back. LOL.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 4th April 2009 at 03:48 AM.

Well, if you think they are very different (and I'm talking only about the drydown), which notes do you think clash? For me, there was a lavender, gourmand (possibly a little chocolate and more vanilla), and moss accord that was strikingly similar, with no major notes that clashed.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 4th April 2009 at 05:06 AM.

I found that Black orchid Voile De Fleur smells a lot like Chinatown as well.

Post Thanks / Like

Try a diffuse spray of Chinatown, as opposed to a dab. The first time I tried Chinatown I dabbed from a sample vial and didn't like it at all. Some time later I sampled again with a spray, and the fragrance really came into its own and was much more enjoyable.