Code of Conduct

Thumbs up Best of Serge Lutens non-export line

Ok, so I'm going to Paris in less than two weeks and I'm going to purchase a "few" bell jars. I ordered the entire non-export line samples from TPC a few weeks ago and I've been testing them almost everyday ever since I got them. I did this so I can make wise decisions and purchase FBW bell jars. I was once a Lutens hater, but after sampling them over a period of time, I've come to truly appreciate his masterpieces. These scents are truly over-the-top and I have to agree Turin when he described them as "costume perfumery". I was always a fan of loud, obnoxious, and skanky perfumes; that is why I have come to truly love SL's creations.

Les Eaux Boisees: I have to admit, I really liked this series, but I found them extremely similiar to Feminite de Bois (which I own). The one I liked best was Bois de Musc, because it was the least similiar to FdB. It's a bit skanky, but waaay too tame for me. Santal de Mysore was IMHO unwearable (and that's saying a lot...I wear almost any scent!). This can be summed up in two words: indian cooking. I love Eau Noire and while that is desribed as curry-smelling, SdM is damp curry meat. Interesting but totally unwearable. Un Bois Sephia smelled like a generic men's "cologne". Really fresh, synthetic...ughh! Totally the opposite of what I'm looking for in a scent. Oh and I actually found none of the Les Eaux Boisees FBW.

Les Eaux Anciennes: Rahat Loukoum is nice and waaay nice than KM Loukoum (which I found disgusting and cloying) but too similiar to Acqua di Parma's Mandorlo di Sicilia (which I own). Iris Silver Mist is a beautiful, cold, powdery iris. I just can't justify adding another iris scent to my wardrobe. I already have Iris Pallida (extremely similiar to ISM), Iris Poudre, Iris Bleu Gris, Orris Noir and Dior Homme. Enough is enough!! Fleur d'Oranger is an okay scent. Didn't really stick in my mind, therefore not FBW. The only FBW in this series is La Myrrhe which is indescribable, stunning, beautiful. Being a huge fan of aldehydes, La Myrrhe sucked me in immediatly. This is probably one of the best of SL. So far, only La Myrrhe is FBW, with Mandarin-mandarin on the fence (however it's a bit too fresh).

Les Somptueux: I have smelt Ambre Sultan in the past and was not impressed at all. Wait a minute... there's skank, there's amber, it's loud...why isn't this clicking with me?! This is my greatest disappointment with SL. Cuir Mauresque is gorgeous, skanky, leathery, huge, loud...oh wait...I'm smelled this before?! HELLO!!! Knize Ten and Gomma, which I have, are extremely similiar to CM. I mean extremely similiar!!! I'm surpised nobody actually mentioned this on a seperate post. Musc Koublai Khan is my favorite SL. It's skany but good skanky. It's soo alluring, so magnetic, so captivating, and it's what I've been looking for all along. Enough said, this might be my new Holy Grail. Vetiver Orient I'm on the fence with. So MKK it is then (2 bottles won't hurt ).

Fleurs Noble: This is more like it! My favorite series without a doubt. I'm a white-floral kinda guy. I mean Carnal Flower, Beyond Love, Tubereuse...BRING IT ON!!! I feel very confident wearing white, obnoxious flowers. I turn into a pretentious, selfish snob!!! Tubereuse Criminelle is unlike any other tuberose I've ever smelled. It literally clears your sinuses the minutes you spritz it on. Slowly it unfolds into a true-to-life creamy tuberose. My 2nd favorite, right after MKK. Rose de Nuit is very old fashioned, and very un-Lutenesque. It smells very similiar to the fabolous discontinued Gucci No. 3. A very plummy, somewhat dark rose. This is probably the most sophisticated of the Lutens, and extremely FBW. Un Lys is a fleshy, boring, boring floral. This one...I just didn't get. Sarrasins on the other hand, is probably the nicest jasmine floral, right behind Joy, Ive smelled in a long time. I don't think it's a soliflore because it has a sweet suede-like cushion to it. I have to admit, I purchased A la Nuit before, but I couldn't wait to finish the bottle. It was too harsh, too true to life. I ended up hating it, but Sarrasins is so different. Towards the drydown, it turns into a creamy, animalic jasmine. El Attarine's opening notes are similiar to Santal de Mysore but toned waaaay down. It opens with a sweet curried spices, but quickly turns into honeyed fruits. Then it dries down into a very honeyed woody accord. I'm going to quote Turin when he described this fragrance, "You certainly don’t go shopping for fabric softner wearing this. But the planets do move, and an evening comes when you look up and notice they are in alignment. That night nothing else will do." Now you have to admit, that is just poetry! My favorite series, yielding most of my FBW; TC, EA, RdN, and Sarrasins.

Caractere: Borneo 1834 is Coromandel times ten. I hate patchouly...patchouly hates me. 'Nuff said. I read somewhere on a thread that Chergui is the epitome of a SL scent. I have to agree with that. It is very honeyed, slightly animalic, and very hard to describe. Therefore it is FBW! Fumerie Turque is similiar to Chergui but less interesting and not FBW.
    So my FBW are in no particular order: Tubereuse Criminelle, Rose de Nuit, El Attarine, Sarrasins, La Myrrhe, Chergui, and Musc Koublai Khan.

Oh and sorry for the loooong thread, I had to let out my love for Lutens somewhere!
    Last edited by scent; 7th April 2009 at 12:27 AM. Reason: clarifying

Default Re: Best of Serge Lutens non-export line

Have a great time! If I had the kind of money to buy all the bell jars I wanted, I'd likely pick up Tubereuse Criminelle, Rose De Nuit, Iris Silver Mist and Muscs Kublai Khan, in that order. However, I haven't tried the full line yet.

I visited the Serge Lutens shop a couple years ago and it was one of the highlights of my trip to Paris. I would recomend you sample many fragrances there, but I will recommend my favorites from the non export line which are: Muscs Kublaih Khan, Encens et Lavande, Cuir Mauresque, Iris Silver Mist and Vetiver Oriental. The Encens et Lavande is a fantastic lavender and incense fragrance.

Were I as fortunate as 'scent' to be going to Paris and have a bunch of extra cash, I doubt I'd get out of La Maison Guerlain with enough cash to buy dinner, say nothing of other fragrances. However, assuming I had lots of disposable cash I'd probably head from La Maison right to the Royal Palais.

Some comments: I find Cuir Mauresque is much more floral - and smooth - than Knize Ten (I own both). Both Borneo and Vetiver Oriental have been limited release exports for a while, but are still widely available in the US (the other two SLs I own). I don't know if I'd waste the opportunity to buy bell jars on exports, but that's just me. Borneo is absolutely stunning and presents a camphorous alternative to Coromandel, which itself is divine, but much more refined than the SL.

I have a sample of La Myrrhe on the way, and I'm very much looking forward to trying it. Were I to be in the fortunate position of 'scent' who started this thread (and don't spend it all on Guerlain first), I'd probably go for:

Iris Silver Mist - truly the king of iris. What does it matter how many iris fragrance one has when this is so much better than all of them? I'd get rid of Hiris, Bois d'Iris, Terre d'Iris, etc. to get one bottle of ISM.

Sarassins - I only recently sampled this - gorgeous jasmine.

Bois et Violette - great wood/floral balance, very pretty, sophisticated, and subtle fragrance

Encens et Lavande - I'm with buzzlepuff on this one.

Of course how many can I buy? LOL... if I had all the cash in the world I'd also like Rahat Lokhoum (I find Keiko Mecheris to be better, btw), Bois Oriental, and MKK. I say MKK last because even though it's great I don't wear musk that often.

Have a fun trip!

Off-Scenter

The "necessary" non-export Lutens scents for me are Muscs Koublaï Khän, Mandarine-Mandarin (but fresh? fresh, you say???), and Tubéreuse Criminelle, and those are the three I obtained from Paris.

MKK is my favorite Lutens. It's just plain Fierce.
    I'm not a big fan of Iris Silver Mist, I find it asphyxiating. I prefer Malle's Iris Poudre.
    Chergui is my second favorite Lutens, but it's easily found as a limited edition export, Aedes has it in stock.
    The Palais Royale boutique is unforgettable. All the times I've been there I've forgotten to try La Myrrhe.
    Enjoy!
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 5th April 2009 at 01:32 AM.

From a woman's perspective, buy MKK. I adore it. It's just so "wrong". It makes me think of a "bad boy" that a girl should stay away from. No matter how hard you try, he reels you in anyway. Muscs Koublai Khan isn't just a fragrance, it's an experience! When my husband wore this, it turned me off. I was disgusted with the first initial blast, but he got me in the end. It wasn't long before I was buried in his chest

Basenotes Institution

My favorite: Iris Silver Mist

The ones you should buy: La Myrhhe, Rose de Nuit (IMO the sleeper in the whole line) and Chergui.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 5th April 2009 at 02:38 AM.

MKK and La Myrrhe, these are the ones I am pining for and I have never tried them, but they seem so divine. I love Cuir Mauresque also, but you have already ruled it out.
    Enjoy Paris, make sure you head to Angelina's, on the rue de Rivoli, afterward for lunch and chocolat chaud.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

My favorite (from the ones I've tried) is a tie between Iris Silver Mist and Chergui. I really can't compare them. One's amazing on a cool drizzly day and the other is fabulous worn during the Fall months.

MKK is up there as well, but I rarely find myself wearing it. It seems more like a skin scent and doesn't project in the style I want it to. It fits in the dirty catergory and I tend to enjoy Fumidus if I'm ever in that mood.

MKK is probably the Serge Lutens that I wear most often, while Cuir Mauresque is one that I really like but never seem to wear for some reason.
    Last edited by surreality; 5th April 2009 at 05:22 AM.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    Ok, so I'm going to Paris in less than two weeks and I'm going to purchase a "few" bell jars. I ordered the entire non-export line samples from TPC a few weeks ago and I've been testing them almost everyday ever since I got them.e!
    Funny, I did the same thing a month ago. I first narrowed down my selection to half a dozen. When I got to Paris, I went to the sanctum/store and one of the priestesses would rub one of these on my wrist, warning me that it takes 20 minutes to develop. After trying out my selections over several days I finally made a purchase (Mandarine Mandarin and El Attarine, for what it's worth). It was an interesting experience.

Likewise, I will be in Paris early May and the Lutens temple in the Jardins du Palais Royal is on my must visit list. Apart from the cost, there is no way I could carry a few of those bell jars in a suit case that's going to probably stuffed with a dozen other bottles (Maison Guerlain being the other must visit destination), so I am going to restrict myself to one - and on the short list so far are El Attarine, Chergui and MKK. But I am looking forward to the opportunity of sampling a few I haven't tested yet too.
    THE BEST OF 2009 to date Maison Francis Kurkdjian Lumiere Noire Pour Homme, Cologne Pour Le Soir, Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre

REDISCOVERING CLASSICS - AGAIN!:- , Guerlain Derby, L'Artisan Premier Figuier

Looks like you've already made up your mind! The only non-export Lutens I've been disappointed with it Un Lys - just lilies, and bordering on urine soaked jeans (don't ask me how I know what that smells like...)

Have yet to try Attarine, Iris, Tubereuse and Bois Sepia, but most of the rest are all treasures for me. I could wear Cuir Mauresque, Encens et Lavande or Borneo every day if I just owned one fragrance.
    CAESAR SEEKS:
    Slumberhouse : Norne
    Parfums d'Empire: Fougére Bengale

CAESAR SWAPS/SELLS:

Oh please don't forget Chene. If you like woody fragrances, this is all oak and honey.

Ok, so I'm going to Paris in less than two weeks and I'm going to purchase a "few" bell jars. I ordered the entire non-export line samples from TPC a few weeks ago and I've been testing them almost everyday ever since I got them. I did this so I can make wise decisions and purchase FBW bell jars. I was once a Lutens hater, but after sampling them over a period of time, I've come to truly appreciate his masterpieces. These scents are truly over-the-top and I have to agree Turin when he described them as "costume perfumery". I was always a fan of loud, obnoxious, and skanky perfumes; that is why I have come to truly love SL's creations.
    Les Eaux Boisees: I have to admit, I really liked this series, but I found them extremely similiar to Feminite de Bois (which I own). The one I liked best was Bois de Musc, because it was the least similiar to FdB. It's a bit skanky, but waaay too tame for me. Santal de Mysore was IMHO unwearable (and that's saying a lot...I wear almost any scent!). This can be summed up in two words: indian cooking. I love Eau Noire and while that is desribed as curry-smelling, SdM is damp curry meat. Interesting but totally unwearable. Un Bois Sephia smelled like a generic men's "cologne". Really fresh, synthetic...ughh! Totally the opposite of what I'm looking for in a scent. Oh and I actually found none of the Les Eaux Boisees FBW.
    Les Eaux Anciennes: Rahat Loukoum is nice and waaay nice than KM Loukoum (which I found disgusting and cloying) but too similiar to Acqua di Parma's Mandorlo di Sicilia (which I own). Iris Silver Mist is a beautiful, cold, powdery iris. I just can't justify adding another iris scent to my wardrobe. I already have Iris Pallida (extremely similiar to ISM), Iris Poudre, Iris Bleu Gris, Orris Noir and Dior Homme. Enough is enough!! Fleur d'Oranger is an okay scent. Didn't really stick in my mind, therefore not FBW. The only FBW in this series is La Myrrhe which is indescribable, stunning, beautiful. Being a huge fan of aldehydes, La Myrrhe sucked me in immediatly. This is probably one of the best of SL. So far, only La Myrrhe is FBW, with Mandarin-mandarin on the fence (however it's a bit too fresh).
    Les Somptueux: I have smelt Ambre Sultan in the past and was not impressed at all. Wait a minute... there's skank, there's amber, it's loud...why isn't this clicking with me?! This is my greatest disappointment with SL. Cuir Mauresque is gorgeous, skanky, leathery, huge, loud...oh wait...I'm smelled this before?! HELLO!!! Knize Ten and Gomma, which I have, are extremely similiar to CM. I mean extremely similiar!!! I'm surpised nobody actually mentioned this on a seperate post. Musc Koublai Khan is my favorite SL. It's skany but good skanky. It's soo alluring, so magnetic, so captivating, and it's what I've been looking for all along. Enough said, this might be my new Holy Grail. Vetiver Orient I'm on the fence with. So MKK it is then (2 bottles won't hurt ).
    Fleurs Noble: This is more like it! My favorite series without a doubt. I'm a white-floral kinda guy. I mean Carnal Flower, Beyond Love, Tubereuse...BRING IT ON!!! I feel very confident wearing white, obnoxious flowers. I turn into a pretentious, selfish snob!!! Tubereuse Criminelle is unlike any other tuberose I've ever smelled. It literally clears your sinuses the minutes you spritz it on. Slowly it unfolds into a true-to-life creamy tuberose. My 2nd favorite, right after MKK. Rose de Nuit is very old fashioned, and very un-Lutenesque. It smells very similiar to the fabolous discontinued Gucci No. 3. A very plummy, somewhat dark rose. This is probably the most sophisticated of the Lutens, and extremely FBW. Un Lys is a fleshy, boring, boring floral. This one...I just didn't get. Sarrasins on the other hand, is probably the nicest jasmine floral, right behind Joy, Ive smelled in a long time. I don't think it's a soliflore because it has a sweet suede-like cushion to it. I have to admit, I purchased A la Nuit before, but I couldn't wait to finish the bottle. It was too harsh, too true to life. I ended up hating it, but Sarrasins is so different. Towards the drydown, it turns into a creamy, animalic jasmine. El Attarine's opening notes are similiar to Santal de Mysore but toned waaaay down. It opens with a sweet curried spices, but quickly turns into honeyed fruits. Then it dries down into a very honeyed woody accord. I'm going to quote Turin when he described this fragrance, "You certainly don’t go shopping for fabric softner wearing this. But the planets do move, and an evening comes when you look up and notice they are in alignment. That night nothing else will do." Now you have to admit, that is just poetry! My favorite series, yielding most of my FBW; TC, EA, RdN, and Sarrasins.
    Caractere: Borneo 1834 is Coromandel times ten. I hate patchouly...patchouly hates me. 'Nuff said. I read somewhere on a thread that Chergui is the epitome of a SL scent. I have to agree with that. It is very honeyed, slightly animalic, and very hard to describe. Therefore it is FBW! Fumerie Turque is similiar to Chergui but less interesting and not FBW.
    So my FBW are in no particular order: Tubereuse Criminelle, Rose de Nuit, El Attarine, Sarrasins, La Myrrhe, Chergui, and Musc Koublai Khan.
    Oh and sorry for the loooong thread, I had to let out my love for Lutens somewhere!
    Could you break the paragraphs up bc it is very hard to read? Thanks.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 6th April 2009 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAttorney View Post
    Could you break the paragraphs up bc it is very hard to read? Thanks.
    Hey, I was gonna say the same thing but didn't want to dampen his enthusiasm! Great thread, regardless.
    Last edited by Trebor; 6th April 2009 at 06:48 PM.

FYI- Fleur d'Oranger, Ambre Sultan, Vetiver Oriental, Borneo, Chene and Un Lys are all available stateside.

Great choices!

Hi guys!! Sorry about the whole "five-paragraphs-in-one" mishap I just clarified my piece and "bolded" all the fragrance names for easier reading.

Vibert: Fresh to me might be amazing, deep oriental to you. It's probably the obvious mandarin note in the topnotes that lets me think of it as "fresh". I'm glad that you love it, and it's nice to hear other people's tastes. I have a friend who thought Ubar by Amouage was very "eau de cologne-ish"!!!!

Brielle87: After I visit SL, I'm pretty sure I'll be hungry. I look forward to dining at Angelina's!

And to everyone THANKS!!!!! I'll post pics of my babies as soon as I get back! And thanks to everyone who commented and again SORRY for the "paragraph"

I found this post after searching for which SL has aldehydes... I had taken a blotter dipped in a bottle at the SL mothership and when I got back to my hotel I realise that I'd already forgotten which fragrance it was dipped into... and although I liked it I couldn't decide whether I should buy more (already bought 3 at the time). Fast forward a few months to now and I've decided that I want it afterall. After reading this post and others I realise that it is La Myrrhe!!

I already have Cellophane the other SL aldehydes so it can ONLY be La Myrrhe.

I wonder what the OP has bought in the end.
    Last edited by malabah; 17th September 2009 at 01:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by malabah View Post
    I found this post after searching for which SL has aldehydes... I had taken a blotter dipped in a bottle at the SL mothership and when I got back to my hotel I realise that I'd already forgotten which fragrance it was dipped into... and although I liked it I couldn't decide whether I should buy more (already bought 3 at the time). Fast forward a few months to now and I've decided that I want it afterall. After reading this post and others I realise that it is La Myrrhe!!

I already have Cellophane the other SL aldehydes so it can ONLY be La Myrrhe.

I wonder what the OP has bought in the end.
    Damn! It's been a long time since I've seen this thread! Well, I did go to Paris in April and I did end up purchasing...ehm..."several" bell bottles I bought BdV, TC, LM, RdN, FT, Chergui, MKK, Sarrasins and BO. I'm pretty pissed off I didn't buy ISM!!! Next time, next time....

Damn! It's been a long time since I've seen this thread! Well, I did go to Paris in April and I did end up purchasing...ehm..."several" bell bottles I bought BdV, TC, LM, RdN, FT, Chergui, MKK, Sarrasins and BO. I'm pretty pissed off I didn't buy ISM!!! Next time, next time....
    Wooww that's intense. Get some photos of this Lutens shrine happening.

Talking Re: Best of Serge Lutens non-export line

My god you will stay well scented for yonks!!!

I totally love your choice. I am plananing a purchase of Santal de Mysore, La Myrrhe, Rose De Nuit, Cuir Mauresque this coming xmas. Last time I went I bought EA, MKK, and Sarrasins so we have some overlaps in here!

Sorry for my ignorance, but do you guys have friends who buy and ship these to you? Is there some basenoter on here who lives in Paris and does all this for a fee? I want to sample all these non-export fragrances but have no idea how to go about doing it.

One other question, are the belljars simply 'dabber' bottles? No mist pump in them?

Quote Originally Posted by nwatts88 View Post
    Wooww that's intense. Get some photos of this Lutens shrine happening.
    I took some photos of my bell jars and my collection here a while back.

Quote Originally Posted by flouris View Post
    Sorry for my ignorance, but do you guys have friends who buy and ship these to you? Is there some basenoter on here who lives in Paris and does all this for a fee? I want to sample all these non-export fragrances but have no idea how to go about doing it.

One other question, are the belljars simply 'dabber' bottles? No mist pump in them?
    I wish I had a friend that lived in Paris permanently. A few of my friends do go to Paris, but I usually find out after they come back I ordered the entire non-export SL samples from theperfumedcourt and sampled them for months before making my initial decision. I highly recommend sampling before making any hasty decisions.

The bell jars are the most beautiful perfume bottles but they are also the most useless. They are dabbers and don't have a mist pump sadly.

Oh, I had no idea you could order non-export samples from TPC. I've been using Aedes for my sampling needs so far -- is TPC just as good? I could've swore I heard TPC or Luckyscent or one of these places actually diluted down their samples, which horrified me! Hopefully it was just bad info.

Also, how weird about no mist pump in the bell jars. That seems like a strange choice on behalf of Serge Lutens... I can see a dabber bottle with perfume oil because of how heavy it is, but for a fragrance diluted in alcohol I still can't wrap my head around that.

I love your belljar collection pic btw! How do they get Sarrassins that color? Is it artificial coloring?

Oh, I had no idea you could order non-export samples from TPC. I've been using Aedes for my sampling needs so far -- is TPC just as good? I could've swore I heard TPC or Luckyscent or one of these places actually diluted down their samples, which horrified me! Hopefully it was just bad info.

Also, how weird about no mist pump in the bell jars. That seems like a strange choice on behalf of Serge Lutens... I can see a dabber bottle with perfume oil because of how heavy it is, but for a fragrance diluted in alcohol I still can't wrap my head around that.

I love your belljar collection pic btw! How do they get Sarrassins that color? Is it artificial coloring?
    TPC is a very reliable source of samples and decants, and Luckyscent is also good with samples. I've never heard anything bad about TPC or Luckyscent, you can order safely and confidently from them.

Thanks! Sarrasins comes in an extremely dark purple (almost black!) hue, and will stain any color. This is fragrance meant to be worn strickly on the skin!

Yeah, the notes in Sarrasins haven't appealed to me (at least, not in print) but each time I see the color of juice on Serge's site I secretly lust for a bottle of the stuff. :>

Excellent news about TPC samples, I'll hop on that immediately, thanks

I just looked at your post from a distance; and then drew in for a closer view.

There were flashes of subliminal messages in bold font from Mr. Serge Lutens.

I am now a Lutens follower.... I am now a Lutens follower.... Sheldrake is god....Sheldrake is god....I am now a Lutens follower.....
    -

No shame, no regrets

Quote Originally Posted by zztopp View Post
    I just looked at your post from a distance; and then drew in for a closer view.

There were flashes of subliminal messages in bold font from Mr. Serge Lutens.

I am now a Lutens follower.... I am now a Lutens follower.... Sheldrake is god....Sheldrake is god....I am now a Lutens follower.....
    Hell Yes I Am !!!!!!

I regularly buy samples and large decants of the non-export line from TPC. I highly recommend it as a way of getting to know the better half of the line! ( Don't know why, but it seems three quarters of my favorite Lutens are non-export... )

Quote Originally Posted by Galamb_Borong View Post
    I regularly buy samples and large decants of the non-export line from TPC. I highly recommend it as a way of getting to know the better half of the line! ( Don't know why, but it seems three quarters of my favorite Lutens are non-export... )
    You're not alone Galamb, I find the non-export line much superior. Strangely enough, I've grown to at least "like" or understand all of the Serge Lutens I hated above. Mandarin-mandarin and El Attarine, I'm sorry I discriminated against you! LoL