Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Do you wear your age?

In my short time here I've noticed numerous comments about fragrances being mature, or old, or youthful, and I am curious if members will decide against wearing or buying a fragrance because they feel it is to old or young for them. Or do you worry about it at all?

Are there fragrances you once loved but now feel you have outgrown? Or if you are young are you holding off on wearing something simply because you think it makes you smell old?

As I am in my early 50s I would fall on the older side of the membership here, but I never think about how I might be thought of by others if I wear something considered youthful, so I was curious as to how the rest of you feel about this.

AromiErotici

Default Re: Do you wear your age?

Quote Originally Posted by Treading View Post
    In my short time here I've noticed numerous comments about fragrances being mature, or old, or youthful, and I am curious if members will decide against wearing or buying a fragrance because they feel it is to old or young for them. Or do you worry about it at all?

Are there fragrances you once loved but now feel you have outgrown? Or if you are young are you holding off on wearing something simply because you think it makes you smell old?

As I am in my early 50s I would fall on the older side of the membership here, but I never think about how I might be thought of by others if I wear something considered youthful, so I was curious as to how the rest of you feel about this.
    Yes and no. I'm 52, but I wear whatever I like regardless of what category the fragrance falls into. If I like it, then it's good to go.

I have a proclivity to like and wear power scents, possibly due to my age group growing up with substantial scents. However, not everything that falls into this category is good just because it's strong.

Try alot of scents and don't concern yourself with youthful or old-style fragrances. If it works for you, then it's a winner.

I`m 35 and think i`m to young for Cartier Pasha.. You are in early 50s.. Do you think you are to old for A*Men?

i think when people say it smells like an old lady, I think it is more a memory of how their grandmother or grandfather might have smelled......some memory that makes them associate the smell with old or old fasion. To some polo smells like an old guy.,,but when i was on my teens everyone wore polo green! Shalimar to me smells old. Guy I work with is 65 and he made a comment to me the other day. he said " God Shalimar is the sexiest scent in the world! All the girls used to wear that!" I was just thinking to myself yeah all the old ladys.....I think its more the memory of the smell.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

I used to wear "young" fragrances because that's what suits me... but as my fragrance habit grew to the point I'm at now, I started wearing fragrances more for myself than others, and so I slowly started to wear the classics (ie. "mature" fragrances).

They don't suit me in the conventional sense, but they're classics for a reason! I'm sure if enough "young" people wore "mature" fragrances, they would lose the "mature" connotation and become "young" fragrances.

In the end, I think you should wear wtv you want - at the worst, you'll smell intriguing! If on the other hand you want to smell "conventional" go with the fragrances that seem to suit your age group... but that's so boring
    Sales thread here

BALLS I say .... wear it if you love it

This topic is probably the most overlooked and abused in the world of fragrance.
    One of the beautiful characteristics of traditional Eau de Cologne is it can be worn by any age or gender.
    “love lasts a long time, but burning desire, two or three weeks.”

Don't think about it or worry about it.

CHANEL PM is one of my favourites.. It`s mentioned as a mature "gentlemans" fragrance, but i love it so much that i use it any case!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AromiErotici View Post
    Yes and no. I'm 52, but I wear whatever I like regardless of what category the fragrance falls into. If I like it, then it's good to go.

I have a proclivity to like and wear power scents, possibly due to my age group growing up with substantial scents. However, not everything that falls into this category is good just because it's strong.

Try alot of scents and don't concern yourself with youthful or old-style fragrances. If it works for you, then it's a winner.
    Nothing much can be added!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

It's a good question.

When I go to the malls, the young ladies pushing men's fragrances are always sticking scents like ADG and various CK scents under my nose. I consider these clubbing fragrances. I'm a 47 yo married dad of three small kids and I'm sorta past that. So, to answer your question, I sort of do categorize fragrances.

That is not to say however that I don't agree with those of you who say "screw it" wear what you want. Because you're right. Age is just a number.

I often wonder how much more use younger people would have for Rive Gauche and Caron pour un homme if people didn't always describe it as a barbershop scent.....like that's what kind of "toilet water" you'd find in Floyd the barber's shop in Mayberry: "Ehh, ehhh Andy, Andy....ehhhh you want some Rive Gauche....ehhh ehhhhhhhhhhhhhh...."

I'm twenty-one and wear mostly niche orientals and florals. I seriously have no idea what age things like CdG Original, Tubereuse Criminelle or Aoud Cuir De Arabie represent.

Going on 30 here and I wear and thoroughly enjoy a lot of the fragrances people claim to be for "old men". I lead a fairly traditional lifestyle, so that might account for my tastes.

There are certainly a few fragrances many have determined are aimed at youthful, sporty folks that I thoroughly enjoy as well. But most of my favorite fragrances today came out when I was still a little kid. Some before I was even born..

Representing the younger folks at 22 here, and I can think of a few favorites of mine that I doubt were meant (if that's the right word) for my age group. Habit Rouge being the most stark example here, I don't think it's a huge hit with people below 30. My mom once commented that this smelled old for me, but I don't care, I wear it and love it, and that's what matters. If you're comfortable in it, you'll make it work. I got many, many compliments wearing Habit Rouge, because I liked it and felt comfortable wearing it. I guess that's what matters.

I would say my SotE, Caron The Third Man, smells pretty mature too. I wore this a few times before but didn't really connect with it. Tonight I'm beginning to get why this is a classic.

My absolute favorites and my everyday go-to fragrances, however, are more on the modern, young side.
    Looking for a sample of Gucci Envy Me.

Ask my mirror.

Oh, taking about fragrances, I don't think fragrance has anything to do with age (just my personal opinion). It all comes down to each individual's personal preference.
    Last edited by arwen_elf; 6th April 2009 at 02:05 AM.
    Evenstar

We may need a new category , Uni-Age
    “love lasts a long time, but burning desire, two or three weeks.”

...no

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

I wear anything I like. I don't look or act my age, so why the heck should I smell my age?
    Yr good bud,

JaimeB

"Why spend life seeking that which does not satisfy? Why remain a slave, when freedom waits? Let your life shine; illumine the world with your truth!"

My Wardrobe
    My Reviews

Fiat justitia ruat cælum.

Let justice be done, even if the sky should fall.

Lucius Calpurnius Piso Caesoninus

Qui nihil potest sperare, desperet nihil.
    Let him who can hope for nothing despair of nothing.

Male irato ferrum committitur.
    It is an evil thing to arm an angry man.
    —Seneca

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by JaimeB View Post
    I wear anything I like. I don't look or act my age, so why the heck should I smell my age?
    I whole-heartedly concur!
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I have no problem wearing any fragrance but my tastes usually picks a scent that is age appropriate.

yes, because lets be honest, "classic" is NOT synonymous with "timeless". Thats not to say I dont own certain things I consider to be classic (cool water and eternity were released the year I was born, and I enjoy them very much, among others). Through heavy searching, I have an (albeit small) group of high quality and youthful fragrances that I feel suit my personality. I have recently began expanding my taste (finding pleasure in styles like Tom Ford for men and Polo's Modern Reserve, which in my eyes, fixes everything wrong with the original) but I am a swimmer and a flier at heart, as such I love aquatics, oceanics, and airy things in general. I never intended on amassing a hundreds-wide collection (and with my taste, to do so with quality frags would be impossible), so I am satisfied slowly finding them one by one.

I gave up age labels as soon as I started this hobby. Some SAs even thought I was too young for Platinum Egoiste... Pfff! I totally lost faith in the "age recommendation" system they use.

I gladly wear Azzaro pH, Rive Gauche, and Shalimar.

Many of the scents I'm drawn to were created before both of my garndmothers were born and I'm a woman of 51 (albeit a very youthful 51, as people often look dumbfounded when I tell them my age). I don't care that a scent has been around since 1889, 1912 or whatever. If it appeals to me I'll wear it, even if it's known as a "masculine" scent. Today I wore vintage Mitsouko with skinny jeans tucked in motorcycle boots and chandelier earrings.

I intended to post this question weeks ago but kept putting it off until something happened today when I was browsing around the L'Occitane store. I was spraying Citrus Verbena on the back of my hand when a young sales person asked if I needed help. She proceeded to suggest that the scent might be "young' for someone like me. Now I don't think I look my age but then we all think that way for the most part, and although the comment surprised me I really wasn't offended by it, but it did remind me to bring this subject up to see what everyone else thought about it.

Off-Scenter

No. I don't even act my age.

I think we define scents by age and gender more here in the United States than most other places in the world and that's unfortunate.

Mid 20's guy here.
    When I wear a fragrance, it turns into my gender, age and race. It does not matter if it is freaking Mitsouko EdP!!!
    I have always been told that my fragrances do not smell like my age or gender. Thanks for the input fellas, but the good think is that I, girlfriend and other women love them . At any given day, I may burn some Habit Rouge, Rive Gauche, Domenico Caraceni, Kenzo Power, Rose Poivree, Fleur du Male, Zino, Guerlain Vetiver or Heritage...

So Spray away, WooHoo!!!
    Last edited by irish; 5th April 2009 at 04:19 AM.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by Pour_Monsieur View Post
    BALLS I say .... wear it if you love it
    Must. Resist. Making. Inappropriate. Comment.
    Shameless Plug: Sales thread with Roses Musk, Rose Poivree, and others.
    Looking for lot of samples of female fragrances.

I have been wearing "old" fragrances, Youth-Dew, Shalimar, Arpege, etc..., since I was a 5 year old girl. I prefer to think of my selections as timeless, they may be considered "older" but I consider them classics. I guess there is no age, when it comes to fragrance for me.
    Quand on boit l'eau, il faut penser à sa source

I have paco rabanne ph and i regretted buying it because it smelled really old and dated. Then i went n bought azzaro ph and i loved it, never smelled old or dated to me. Certain ppl will give comments like dated or old man smell because their old relatives used that certain frag.

Like many others i don't care about the whole frag and age thing. If i like it i'll buy it. even if all were bad reviews here if my nose agrees i'll agree to...lol.

I wear what I like...

and I do as I wish...

it hasn't failed me yet.
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

When I was in college, in the 80's, I wore Chanel PM, Van Cleef and Aprels PM and Yatagan. I've always had good, mature taste. I shudder at the thought of wearing something like CK One and all the other crap in Sephora.
    Tonight I'm wearing Montale's Aoud Leather - it's always been about quality for me! Perhaps I've always been a bit of an old fart?
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 5th April 2009 at 02:29 AM.

To prove that we aren't all the same on this board, I shall separate myself from the group. YES! I do where things that reflect my age (21), whether it be a subconscious gravitation towards them or a conscious decision to do so, I do. I have never understood how people can completely ignore the association between scent and age, as much as in a perfect world, we could be devoid of gender and age barriers, the fact is our brain won't let that be (at least mine won't). I'm sorry, I associate Aramis with the smell of elderly gentlemen, no amount of discussion is going to change that association. I will always feel self-conscious when wearing something that doesn't suit my age, in the same way others may feel self-conscious or uncomfortable wearing, say, 6 shots of Black Aoud in a t-shirt and jeans to school. It's just what it is.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 5th April 2009 at 02:27 AM.

Wear any perfume that you feel comfortable with and don't bother analysing why or why not you are comfortable with it, or at least do the thinking yourself. You know yourself better than anyone here and in the end what you are wearing is a personal choice. All we can do here is tell you to go for it and enjoy fragrance and maybe give recommendations
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

I wear whatever I like, but I have been finding that the newer releases that are targeted to an age group younger than me are typically not very sophisticated. This is not bad, necessarily, as I wear and enjoy some of them. However, I find that the less sophisticated fragrances rarely hold my attention for more than a season or two. Perhaps that is the point.

I agree with the general sentiment of the thread.

I'm 53 and wear what I want when I want. I don't try to be provocative, and take the occasion and surroundings into account before choosing a fragrance, but age and fragrance have always seemed unrelated to me.

When I was in my 20s I regularly wore Knize 10, Antaeus, Polo, etc., scents now regarded as old man scents. Although I still have a preference for stronger, more traditional fragrances, I can and do wear ADG, L'Eau d'Issey, and various sweet and fruity scents with the best of them!

This association of fragrance with age must be something concocted by the fragrance industry relatively recently, because I never even thought of such a thing until the last 10 years or so. If some people choose to limit themselves, or are uncomfortable wearing certain scents, then that's their decision, but I don't see the point of unecessarily putting yourself in a box and assigning arbitrary age ranges to specific scents.

You only live once and you never know for sure how long you've got. Enjoy life while you're here and forget about prisons of your own making!

noggs

I've never thought about age, but rather my mood. When I want to feel youthful and bright, I wear something that reflects that (see my spring loves below). When I want to feel dramatic and am in my prima donna moods I wear Serge and Montale. When I feel contemplative, incense, or amber perhaps, patchouli. That said, I don't feel particularly drawn to or own any of the "power 80's" fragrances as they are often referred to. I bought Chanel Pour Monsieur Concentree when I was 19 because I just didn't think to classify fragrances in that way I guess. I shared my dad's Kouros in high school come to think of it hahaha.

If I am not required to act my age, why should I be required to smell my age?

Scents evoke feelings and memories, whether they be from 50 years ago or last week. I think that, for every emotion that I can describe, I could probably name a scent that stimulates it. Do older fragrances make me feel older or newer ones younger? The answer is no.

And what is age in relationship to scent? How are we to define this? I think you've started a great thought-provoking thread.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by noggs View Post
    This association of fragrance with age must be something concocted by the fragrance industry relatively recently, because I never even thought of such a thing until the last 10 years or so. If some people choose to limit themselves, or are uncomfortable wearing certain scents, then that's their decision, but I don't see the point of unecessarily putting yourself in a box and assigning arbitrary age ranges to specific scents.
    noggs
    Very true! In the 70's when i discovered scents, i always wished my dad had more scents than his Old Spice range, so i could have cheaper access to frags. In my teens then, i never thought the scents were for older people. If anything, we wanted to be like the older guys in some ways!

The funny thing about this kind of the debate, especially for those in their teens and early twenties is that someday they will "become their parents". It is all a cycle.

In this relatively short and single life i have, i choose to go with what i like and enjoy, not what demographics or classification dictate.

#BBOG!

Anyone who associates a scent with an age group is seriously manipulated and easily swayed by media. Why would anyone deny themselves the pleasure of ANY scent by allowing industry hype to dictate or program their perceptions? It is the equivalent of slotting foods into age groups….’oh, can’t be seen eating an orange….only old men eat oranges!’ Well, too bad for you….oranges are delicious, and you’d be a damned fool to allow corporate sales-pitches to pigeonhole your appreciation.

In all my 40 plus years of wearing fragrances, I never would even give one second of consideration to a concept like that. When I was a teen in the late 60's, I would wear Old Spice one day and Brut the next. Now that I'm in my mid-50's, I will wear Bulgari Aqua one day and Habit Rouge the next, and Z Zegna the next and then Pino Sylvestre, etc.. To me the concept of age and fragrances is ludicrous.
    Last edited by MikeFromManhattan; 5th April 2009 at 11:21 AM.

A couple of days ago in the grocery store I bumped into a man in his sixties who was wearing Le Male. Somehow it felt very wrong. I respect older people, but not if they're wearing Le Male . When I get old I'm going to wear all those fragrances I'm not 100% comfortable wearing now (like Creed BdP, Chanel PM and Hammam Bouquet). I'm almost looking forward to get old and get to wear a hat, a walking cane and classy scents with style without looking cheesy . That said, I don't wear my age all the time, but some fragrances are too young and some too old for me.

when i become sixty i will stil wear montales

Next to the bottle of Van Winkle Special Reserve

Quote Originally Posted by moreda View Post
    when i become sixty i will stil wear montales
    When I am sixty, I will still be splashing on the ckOne. However, maybe I'll be comfortable enough to wear Third Man during the day and not just at night for special occasions.
    Marge: Do you want your son to become Chief Justice of the Supreme Court or a sleazy male stripper?
    Homer: Can't he be both, like the late Earl Warren?

No. Pre-Basenotes, I never felt the need to evaluate whether a scent I liked would be something my age group could wear. Having to do so seems 'confining'.

I was spraying Citrus Verbena on the back of my hand when a young sales person asked if I needed help. She proceeded to suggest that the scent might be "young' for someone like me.
    That's odd, as I would have thought something like that appropriate for any informal occasion and just about any age. (Perfect for gardening in a big floppy sun hat though!)

I'm more interested in whether a fragrance fits the setting and my mood. If that doesn't match the age on my driver's license ... :shrug:

Dependent

at 50, you deserve to wear ANYTHING

Early on, for reasons unknown even to myself, I began tracking the year of introduction of each fragrance in my collection. From the start, the average year of my collection has remained in the narrow range of 1978 to 1981. I would have been 26 to 29 years old.

On one hand, I could say 'yes' that I am wearing my age. On the other, 111 (over 30%) of my fragrances have been introduced since 2000.
    Two roads diverged in a yellow wood, and sorry I could not travel both and be one traveler, long I stood and looked down one as far as I could to where it bent in the undergrowth; Then took the other, as just as fair, ...... I shall be telling this with a sigh somewhere ages and ages hence: Two roads diverged in a wood, and I -- I took the one less traveled by, and that has made all the difference. - Robert Frost

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by dpak View Post
    When I am sixty, I will still be splashing on the ckOne
    And maybe hear comments like "whats that lovely scent?" "ooooh! ckONE. Its very nice, but a bit dated, my uncle used to wear that way back when"

Seriously, if allowed to continue, this Ageism snake will bite every generation.

#BBOG!

I'm in the age group of acquatics and "fresh scents" and I wear "old man" powerhouses.

No.
    I wear mostly green-citrus conservative "classic edc-style" scents.
    And I'm in my 20's and extremely liberal.

what do you think will be considered smelling old in 20 years? the same stuff smelling old to people today or will the nowadays young scents be the old ones then?

^It's already cycled around once...I mean Aqua Velva Ice Blue was a bracingly cool, aquatic citrus fresh scent, and that was the 1930's, right ?

One of the advantages of being mature is that you cease to give less of a flying ***** about what people think. There is a greater sense of comfort in ones own skin. As has been mentioned, if you like it, wear it.

I don't wear my age, I just wear what suits me.

It is a delight to smell a scent that blends seamlessly with someone (and these scents may transcend age delineations).

Still, I also really enjoy smelling something unexpected on someone, given that it smells good of course.

The one age bias I will admit to is that I am less forgiving of an older man wearing a lesser quality scent. The same with older women to some extent. I guess I am expecting that wisdom will come with age, and a greater appreciation of quality along with it. With women, the expectation may be tempered by the sheer volume of women I've smelled wearing all kinds of scents that don't do it for me.

I'll have to keep my bias in mind when I find myself making small judgements. I really shouldn't be judging people on their scent choices anyway -- although I reserve the right to judge anyone I can smell from a couple of meters away. Much as I love fragrance, I find that just plain inconsiderate, regardless of age or gender or quality of scent.

I wear whatever I like. I don't care for old-smelling stuff like Givenchy Gentleman but if I did then I'd wear it.
    Last edited by karisuma; 5th April 2009 at 10:33 PM.

I don't even ACT my age... Why would I wear it??

Post Re: Do you wear your age?

Every once, and a while a thread like this comes along, and I end up saying here we go again.
    Too young for a fragrance, too old for a fragrance? It's all bull shit! If you like a fragrance wear it!
    It's no more complicated than that.
    Don't panic. Just stay calm, and reload....

Essentially, yes. The oldest frag in my wardrobe that I wear on a regular basis is from 1998 (that being YSL Live Jazz), and I was born in 1989. I've found that I can respect the composition of many "classic" fragrances, but still would not want to wear them (or at least own a bottle) yet. When I get older, I'll wear them! May as well wear the fresh, youthful scents now, I've got the rest of my life ahead of me.