SotY #8 Guerlain Jicky

Total Wears: 320 (0.6%)
    Number of weeks of at least one wear: 49
    Low week: 0 wears on three weeks 4,5,& 12
    High week: 40 wears twice in week 13
    Average: 6.13 wears/week
    Number ones: 1 in week 13
    Top 10’s: 17

Guerlain Jicky is the number eight scent for the year. This is the first of three Guerlains in the top 10. Jicky is also the far and away leader on the women’s board and the #1 scent for the women. In week 13 the women actually exercised their muscle in showing how co-ordinated they could be and Jicky posted 40 wears that week. This was after they had powered a different Guerlain Champs-Elysees to number one with 41 wears, the one-week record, in week 12. The difference between these two scents is that Jicky was regularly worn throughout the year. Even though the men wear Jicky, almost 85% of the wears came from the women. That is why the two of the three zero wear weeks came before the women were regularly tracked. Don’t be fooled by what seems like a low level in the graph as that spike in Week 13 throws the scale off. Jicky had nine weeks of double-digit wears.
    When you look at the graph you see that there were only three weeks after week 12 where it had three wears or less. Jicky is clearly one of the women’s staple scents and it was worn by many different posters. Jicky seems to operate as a comfort scent for many of the female members of Basenotes Nation. In the same way that Green Irish Tweed is considered a masculine classic, Jicky operates under the same umbrella but the gender is switched. Jicky may have been created for men but it is embraced by the women of Basenotes.
    I’ll be back tomorrow with #7
    Last edited by Somerville Metro Man; 5th April 2009 at 01:40 PM.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Default Re: SotY: #8 Guerlain Jicky

I remain enamored with Jicky, as I have been since the first time I ever sampled it. If you haven't tried it, you must. It's just so damn 'fun'. I recently 'upgraded' to the EdP because of my disappointment with the EdT's longevity. The EdP doesn't last much longer, though it's concentration causes it to be even less civilized (and more fun!). I must sample the parfum, something I've neglected to do until lately.

I will only wear jicky in parfum concentration , it is completely linear and completely wonderful

Basenotes Institution

Will the Guerlain Police come and arrest me if I don't love Jicky?

I've tried all concentrations except the parfum, and found all of them fascinating but overall, not one of my favorite Guerlains. The rare Eau de Cologne is the only bottle I own (a small one) and I have a tiny bit left in the bottle. Every time I re-try it I have to wince and tolerate the powder/jasmine/civet blast to get to the part that I enjoy. It commands my respect and perhaps if it was 1/2 the price it is, I'd easily own a bottle. Maybe one of these day's I'll score a cheap EdP. Stranger things have happened.

In the meantime, just gimme Mouchoir de Monsieur instead.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Once again, illuminating stats, SMM.

I cannot get over Jicky's longevity issues, beautiful as Jicky is. Maybe my passion has not developed to the stage where i would knowingly ignore poor longevity and just buy a bottle.
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

My solution to the Jicky longevity problem is deceptively simple: Don't wear it as a SOTD! When I get up I walk my dog and grab a starbucks before coming home to shower and get ready for work. A couple spritzed of Jicky EdP (or EdT) works perfectly for this hour. Alternatively I'll wear it post-dinner, after my SOTD has worn off and I'll enjoy it for the couple hours before bed. It's just not going to last all day, no matter what you do (again, I haven't tried the parfum) - so I don't try.

mikeperez, the Jicky cops have issued a bench warrant for your arrest..... ;-)

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    ...mikeperez, the Jicky cops have issued a bench warrant for your arrest..... ;-)
    Oh no!

Oh well...at least when this goes to court, I know a good lawyer who will represent me.

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    Guerlain Jicky is the number eight scent for the year. This is the first of three Guerlains in the top 10.
    Habit Rouge & Vetiver . . .