Code of Conduct

Thumbs down Luckyscent samples now smaller?

I was just on the LS site and it appears their samples are no longer filled all the way up. The prices are the same, but it now lists them as .7ml. They were already priced to make a profit at 1ml, so I think this is a bit absurd since 1ml is just barely enough to really sample something.

Default Re: Luckyscent samples now smaller?

It appears you are right, and yes, that is a rather weird and stupid change they've made. I used to be quite happy ordering from them but doubt it is still that attractive now. I agree that you need at least 1 ml to really experience a fragrance.
    Last edited by BrothaG; 5th April 2009 at 02:30 PM.
    "Perfume is the dream that carries me."

There is always the sky to look at

This is just a guess, but based on my communications with beautyhabit about why they canceled their original '6 for $15' sample program.... these sites aren't making any money on samples, maybe a few cents - maybe a couple bucks per order - and they really do offer the samples for the purpose of getting people to purchase. The problem is way too many people buy samples only and never purchase a thing, therefore they go through their testers, and have to open more boxes to use for testers, and aren't making any profit.

I'm receiving a LS sample order this week and will report back as to the size of the samples. It's hard to decant such small amounts, and I'd be willing to bet some will be almost full if not full.

A reduction in size is better then them not selling samples at all! Ultimately it doesn't make much of a difference. 1ml simply isn't enough for a full wear (of most fragrances), and even for those for which 1ml could be a full wear, I'd prefer to save the sample for posterity and buy a decant if I like the fragrance. Unlike other retailers, LS allows you to purchase TWO samples, so that could be the solution for people who do like to give samples full wears.

BTW, I don't think LS samples are 'priced to profit'. Decanting samples costs more than the per/ml cost of the fragrance. Besides the fragrance cost, there are supplies and the labor involved in hand decanting, printing the labels, preparing the shipments, etc. If there's any profit at all it's no more than .50 per sample, if that.

I must be jaded but I can't believe that Luckyscent samples aren't sized and priced for a healthy profit! In fact, I think this might be the most profitable thing they have going on at the company!

COST OF FRAGRANCE FOR SAMPLES? I am sure they receive, free of charge, a nice portion of juice for samples that they sell from the vendors as "testers" or sample bottles of fragrance. But they don't give away samples like Niemans does, they sell it.

COST OF BOTTLING SAMPLES? An individual decanting fragrance into a sample tube takes quite an effort, but it would amaze me if a company like Luckyscent hasn't figured out a semi automatic way of draining a big bottle of sample fragrance through a multi head pipette to dispense into dozens of vials at a time while the label printer prints out a roll of labels and offers the next one to be attached. I am sure they have figured out a way to make bottling samples very cost effective.

BUT, even if they are making a $$ killing on samples, I am very happy that they are sellling them. Without this service we would not really have a way sample all thousands of things that hit the market. And more new fragrances seem to come out every year. Keep the samples coming!
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 5th April 2009 at 03:24 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    ...An individual decanting fragrance into a sample tube takes quite an effort, but it would amaze me if a company like Luckyscent hasn't figured out a semi automatic way of draining a big bottle of sample fragrance through a multi head pipette to dispense into dozens of vials at a time while the label printer prints out a roll of labels and offers the next one to be attached. I am sure they have figured out a way to make bottling samples very cost effective....
    I asked the owner of Luckyscent this last year, when I met him in a store. He told me they decant the same way we all decant: one person sitting all day, decanting one-by-one. I'm sure it isn't cheap employing a person just to do this all day.

I'd love to hear from someone who recently got their LS order in, as to whether the vials are 'less filled'. In my experience, most of the time the LS samples were filled up as high as possible to not spill when you put the vial cap on.

I must be jaded but I can't believe that Luckyscent samples aren't sized and priced for a healthy profit! In fact, I think this might be the most profitable thing they have going on at the company!

COST OF FRAGRANCE FOR SAMPLES? I am sure they receive, free of charge, a nice portion of juice for samples that they sell from the vendors as "testers" or sample bottles of fragrance. But they don't give away samples like Niemans does, they sell it.

COST OF BOTTLING SAMPLES? An individual decanting fragrance into a sample tube takes quite an effort, but it would amaze me if a company like Luckyscent hasn't figured out a semi automatic way of draining a big bottle of sample fragrance through a multi head pipette to dispense into dozens of vials at a time while the label printer prints out a roll of labels and offers the next one to be attached. I am sure they have figured out a way to make bottling samples very cost effective.

BUT, even if they are making a $$ killing on samples, I am very happy that they are sellling them. Without this service we would not really have a way sample all thousands of things that hit the market. And more new fragrances seem to come out every year. Keep the samples coming!

agreed, 100%. they are in this business. nobody runs a business with a charitable mentality. it's there to make profits and a site like lucky scent putting their time for a "profit" of 50 cents is ....
    Last edited by jenson; 5th April 2009 at 04:17 PM.

I just got an order from them last week. It wasn't an order just for samples, though. I purchased a full bottle. The samples I received with my order were full and they even threw in an extra one I didn't request, so I'm very happy with them at the moment!

It really doesn't make much difference between .7ml and 1ml. It's enough to decide if I want a larger decant or a bottle. Times are tough for all businesses.

I ordered some samples last week from LS, and sadly some of them were not filled to the rim, while others were. This is the first time EVER that this has happened. I imagine that my next order will all be .7 mls as opposed to 1 ml...

People are more bitchy about the cost of a small sample than for the overpriced large bottles? Be happy you can sample these perfumes far from the store and far from the perfumes point of origin like France or Italy.

The price of samples isn't just per/ml: it's for the labor, materials like envelopes, the vials printing our labels, bags, bubble wrap and of course the pain-in-the-ass cost of having to fill in 100's of these and only getting one or two full bottle sales from a sample.

Blog Entries

Why would you assume they get free bottles? There's nothing going on in the industry to support that, and many of their offerings are so niche I don't expect those houses even produce testers at all. And testers aren't necessarily free anyways.
    Twitter - @DanielTharp
    DanielTharp.com has additional reviews and commentary.
    Always be content with what you have, never be content with what you are.

I don't blame them, to be honest. I hate to admit it, but I am one of the ones who only sample from LuckyScent, and thus far have rarely made a purchase there. I appreciate the sample services, but whatever I want from them can generally be had for MUCH cheaper, and most of the time the things I decide to purchase they don't carry anyways, (case in point, my last purchase MPG Garrigue, they carry MPG, but not Garrigue). I wish I could give them my business for their fabulous website and customer service, but the fact remains that they are for the most part incredibly overpriced.

I'm friends with someone who works at a niche fragrance shop and she said that some houses provide one free tester per fragrance while other houses don't provide any, and the cost for having testers is assumed by the retailer. I think it's safe to assume that LS goes through their 'one free tester' fairly quickly the fragrances for which they are available.

The other price factor we're missing is that the cost points must be made such that there are enough samples for everyone. Using Nasomatto as an example... if samples were at fragrance cost ($5/ml) it wouldn't be a big deal to place multiple orders of two samples each of a single fragrance - essentially 'making your own decant' at cost. Adding a couple bucks to the cost covers the material/labor cost, gives a small profit (which they have a right to do), and keeps people from hoarding samples. I'm guilty of doing the 'make your own decant' style sample-purchasing for a few very expensive fragrances that TPC doesn't offer, and if samples were cheaper I'd probably do that even more often.

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    Why would you assume they get free bottles? There's nothing going on in the industry to support that, and many of their offerings are so niche I don't expect those houses even produce testers at all. And testers aren't necessarily free anyways.
    I would be absolutely shocked if there are any fragrance companies that don't supply major vendors with bottles for testers. I know for an absolute fact that Amouage, for example, is very generous in providing retailers with testers. Perhaps "generous" isn't the proper word. Perfume houses (and retailers) want to sell their products. Look at all of us, for example. As a group, we spend a huge amount of money on fragrances and most of us almost never buy anything blind anymore. I'm not about to bash lucky scent about their samples, but to portray the selling of them as some sort of selfless act on their part is a bit silly. While I'm on this subject, the recent thread in which we all praised C&S for their complete set of free samples was interesting in that several people expressed that they really wanted to find one of them FBW because of the free samples. If even a relatively small percent of those of us who requested those samples go on to purchase a bottle, it will have made the providing of free samples profitable, even with the cost of international shipping.

I suppose if I were to have purchased pure oud oil for several hundred dollars, and it came less than full, I wouldn't be happy--but these are samples. At the end of the day, getting the collection of Le Labo for $25 is still a much more cost effective way to sample all of them rather than buy a bottle blind and not be happy with it. I also would rather purchase the samples through the mail than say, drive down to the strip in Las Vegas and sample at Barneys; at home, I can take my time, dab, and smell, and ponder. At Barneys, I'd probably look like an effin retard after 10 minutes, LOL.

Got an order last week, I'm very pleased with Luckyscent.

Few dollars to sample hard to find fragrances is just amazing, period.

When I decant into a vial, often the juice will start to splash back out of the vial after it gets to a certain level. Filling them <1ml probably helps reduce waste.

I would rather they charge $1 more and keep filling them to the same level....

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    BTW, I don't think LS samples are 'priced to profit'. Decanting samples costs more than the per/ml cost of the fragrance. Besides the fragrance cost, there are supplies and the labor involved in hand decanting, printing the labels, preparing the shipments, etc. If there's any profit at all it's no more than .50 per sample, if that.

I must agree with bbBD. While the materials are fixed costs, the variable cost in labor for samples must be enormous. From actually putting the content in, to putting on the labels, organizing, etc...its not cheap. I suspect they don't make a penny on samples.

So why do they do it? Well, the hope is that you like one that you try and eventually purchase a full bottle. Also, as bbBD pointed out in a previous post, the purchase likelihood is very high with sampling and should be part of anyone's core business strategy.

TNMA
    "Why not seize the pleasure at once?"
    -- Jane Austen (Sun, and Mercury in Sagittarius)

Guys, the whole discussion is moot. I never got my mail yesterday from my box, and my luckyscent order was in it (damn fast, btw).

All the vials are full, all the way to the top.

On a related topic: has anyone else stopped checking out beautyhabit now that they suspended their 'good' sample program? The existing one (3 for $15) is no good and discourages sampling. I honestly have barely checked their website since they stopped the 6 for $15 program.

but its 3$ wasnt it 4$ ealier?
    Tell Hugo, he isnt boss anymore.
    Nieruchomości Gorzˇw

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I asked the owner of Luckyscent this last year, when I met him in a store. He told me they decant the same way we all decant: one person sitting all day, decanting one-by-one. I'm sure it isn't cheap employing a person just to do this all day.

I'd love to hear from someone who recently got their LS order in, as to whether the vials are 'less filled'. In my experience, most of the time the LS samples were filled up as high as possible to not spill when you put the vial cap on.
    I just got the Le Labo sample pack, The samples are the regular Luckyscent samples and they are filled as they alway have. I called Scentbar before placing my order to ask what size the samples were and I was told ~1ml or 1/32 oz.
    Evenstar

I'm willing to bet that someone measured the actual amount in a vial filled to the cap and found it to be about 0.7ml and complained that they were 'false advertising' by claiming they sold 1ml samples. Often times vials are labeled by their max capacity, without cap present. It's quite likely that we've all been getting 0.7ml samples from them since the beginning.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

Quote Originally Posted by bluesoul View Post
    If they don't make testers they probably include a free bottle or a discount credited back to support marketing with samples from a normal bottle. Do you really think that Niemans pays for all the open sample bottles of Creed that sit out on counters? I am sure that the store gets a credit back from the supplier in the form of a trade discount, or give back of some sort. Back in the 1980's/1990's I owned a company that marketed fragrance products that we created for a slightly different side of the industry but testers were always included free with each complete order shipped. We sold this particular brand in over 5,000 retail locations nationwide as well as in Canada and Europe. We would have sold many less items if we didn't include samples of the product for use on the display counters. It was part of the marketing package to the retailer. Tester bottles to aid in the marketing of products were sold with each order then credited back to the customer - in essence they were free. Its not a big deal whether they get some of their juice free or not. I hope they do.

I appreciate the samples I have purchased from Luckyscent and hope they do make a profit on them and they continue the service to we who enjoy their fragrances.

I just opened my last sample order I received yesterday with 13 new samples inside. All are about 80%-85% full. Same size bottle as always. I don't think they could fill them more full without spilling juice when they put the stopper in. I think the bottles are 1 ml. but there is probably about .8 ml. of fragrance in there. I don't ever remember the samples being fuller than they are now. My opinion is their change to .7ml. sample size is only a change in their description of the sample juice. It is their attempt to more accurately and positively manage expectations due to not being able to fill the vial 100% full and still insert the top easily.

On a related side note, the 1/32 vials are something like, .93ml when totally full. As buzzlepuff said, you can't really fill them to the very top without spilling, and therefore if they say ".7" is prevents someone from complaining they didn't get a full sample.

I have a feeling that the testers used by department stores are provided free (or they get a credit, as b-puff said). It's the small niche lines that are only in a few stores that either don't provide testers or only provide one. My friend who is an SA at a niche shop told me CdG provides ONE tester per fragrance.

I got my Le Labo-samples from Luckyscent today. The vials were as full as usual. I guess they just say .7 ml to be on the safe side (if it's not exactly 1 ml). BTW, I fell in love with Rose 31 (Oud 27 was really nice too). Must order a full bottle soon .

There you have it everyone! Looks like it's just a case of them being on the safe side and they're still as full as feasibly possible. I know I won't stop my ordering.

An individual decanting fragrance into a sample tube takes quite an effort, but it would amaze me if a company like Luckyscent hasn't figured out a semi automatic way of draining a big bottle of sample fragrance through a multi head pipette to dispense into dozens of vials at a time while the label printer prints out a roll of labels and offers the next one to be attached.
    I'm pretty sure that it's just the two guys at the office on LaBrea and the two girls at the store on Beverly decanting them. Paying for a machine that would do that would cost a lot more that a room full of pipettes and sample vials.

Lutens alone has gone from $72 to $120 since they started. While I would bet that they get testers, I doubt the number is unlimited and they eventually will have to open stock. I doubt they made the decision to lower the size of the samples lightly. (edit) guess it's the same size after all. Learn to read the whole thread before responding T! Doink!
    Last edited by tmp00; 6th April 2009 at 07:16 PM.