Code of Conduct

Default Iris perfume recomendations

Hi,

I like Iris, specially in Leather - floral perfumes.

have anyone recomendations about perfumes principal note Iris ?

Has posible i like
    Leather Iris , like Perfume Generale Cuir de Iris ?
    or Dry - woody Iris ,

Thanks !
    Looking for Creed Spice & Wood / swap fragances , Creed Vingate Tabarome and more... http://www.basenotes.net/threads/374...me-Cuir-Beluga

Basenotes Institution

Default Re: Iris perfume recomendations

You must try Iris Silver Mist by Serge Lutens.

Hola!!

Te recomiendo Maitre Parfumeur et Gantier Iris Bleu Gris, Iris Bleu Gris y ah, se me olvidaba, Iris Bleu Gris...

Outstanding!!

Amouage Reflection man has an orris root/jasmine heart with a woody/mild vetiver base that's sublime!

Cuir d'Iris is definately leather and iris, but in that order. I would consider it more a leather fragrance, than an Iris one. It's quite amazing though.

Infusion d'Homme by Prada is an iris scent...a "masculine" iris, kind of bland to my nose though...

Bois d'Iris by The Different Company is a good transparent, velvety iris. Like smelling the flower all dewy, still in the soil. Ellena created a beautiful scent image with this fragrance.

Then there's Iris Silver Mist by Maurice Roucel. A beautiful, mysterious masterpiece of an Iris scent.

i was actually going to ask this yesterday i am glad someone else did.....i am getting a silver iris mist this month. are there any better?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

my stuff for sale!
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=223916

There was a tremendous thread on this a while back... I wish I could remember who started it so I could find it... Cuir d'Iris, as mentioned above, is primarily leather but softened by iris. You're not going to find too many fragrances like it. I can't think of any other iris/leathers, but if you want a floral leather try the Exclusifs version of Chanel Cuir de Russie or Serge Lutens Cuir Mauresque

Some other iris fragrances (not yet mentioned) that have a rooty/woody edge:

Miller Harris Terre d'Iris
    Hermes Hiris
    L'Artisan Bois Farine and Iris Pallida (very expensive, watch out!)

I second the Iris Silver Mist and Bois d'Iris recommendations!

dior homme
    Check out my Fragrance Review Blog

Wishlist: Byredo Pulp, Creed Aventus, Montale Black Aoud, Original Santal, Dior Jules, Invasion Barbare, Pure Distance M

Prada No. 1 Iris parfum
    Chanel La Pausa
    Creed Love in Black

Leather iris (other than Cuir d'Iris): Dior Homme

Dry woody iris: Bois d'Iris, Iris Pallida

Soapy iris: Infusion d'Homme, Infusion d'Iris

Ultimate iris: Iris Silver Mist
    Last edited by Snafoo; 6th April 2009 at 04:56 PM.
    Everyone is entitled to his own opinions, but not his own facts. Daniel Moynihan

Another nice one to try L'homme d'Couer by Devine. Absolutely amazing smell, dissapointing longevity.

If you can get your hands on some L'Artisan Iris Pallida without taking out a second mortgage, it is simply sublime. I grow the actual Iris pallida that is used in perfumery and find its scent completely different than all other irises and L'Artisan captures it in a well-framed way. You get blossom, leaves, and that exquisite warm and earthy fragrance of the corm. I just transplanted some a couple of days ago and was tempted to bring one in to shave off some of the corm for its fragrance.

For a less expensive and still wonderful alternative, The Different Company Bois d'Iris is a delight.

I can't agree about Amouage Reflection for Men. There is something suggesting iris but misses the mark.

Iris Silver Mist is also a beautiful fragrance worth investigating.
    Don a wig of larks and fly!

Quote Originally Posted by Merbert View Post

I can't agree about Amouage Reflection for Men. There is something suggesting iris but misses the mark.

It's more orris root than Iris, that's why it "misses it's mark" as you say.

It still has that powdery iris feel to it though.

A new iris-based perfume, not yet mentioned, ist Mystique from Parfums Delrae. It smells as if it uses very expensive iris butter - exquisite.

FUBU Plush for men, if you want a powdery suede with some amaretto up top. Long lasting and good/excellent sillage.

I'll second L'Homme de Coeur. I get good longevity from it by spraying on clothing. Wonderful stuff, although apparently maddenly subtle to some people.

Dependent

Hermes Hiris is the best out there. Ive mistakenly worn at a friends pre party dinner, and had compliments comeing fom the lasses ! it wasnt much later on did i found out it ws for ladies Its sweet, pleasnt, just a tad milky.

Dzongkha.

Flibustier by Gallimard

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Procratus View Post
    A new iris-based perfume, not yet mentioned, ist Mystique from Parfums Delrae. It smells as if it uses very expensive iris butter - exquisite.
    Can you elaborate on your description? & Where did you get a sample?

Also, don't forget P. Generale Iris Taizo, with it's lovely boozy/floral opening.
    Last edited by kumquat; 6th April 2009 at 09:42 PM.

The two iris scents that really stand out from the fahionable crowd of recent iris scents is Iris Bleu Gris, which a unique green take on iris, and iris Silver Mist, which is iris in its barest form, without any attempt to turn it into any other direction.

I'll second Iris Silver Mist, Iris Taizo and add Dior's Bois D'Argent. I've tried many, and these remain my favorites. Iris Taizo is probably the closest of the three to Cuir D'Iris ( which I also love ).

My three favorites are BOIS D'IRIS, IRIS TAIZO, and TERRE D'IRIS. I think these would all be great on a man. IRIS TAIZO is definitely the sweetest of these three.

Though it might not be the one you're looking for, a really fabulous iris is Iris Nobile by Acqua di Parma.. I'm wearing a bit on a wrist tonight, and it's one of my girlfriend's favorites to wear.

Of course it's next to impossible to find and very expensive when sold, but Desprez's Versaille Pour Homme is leather and iris in a very distinctive 1980s way.

Otherwise my go-to iris is Hermès's Hiris, just like Matthewfoo says. (I also use it for my iris scent because I want to preserve my Iris Bleu Gris bottle's contents for very special occasions.)
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I'll throw my hat in the ring with the Iris Silver Mist folks. Bois d'Iris is alright; I'm not sure it warrants the price though your mileage may vary. The first thing that sprang to mind when I saw the thread was my personal favorite mentioned once above: L'Artisan's Dzongkha. Fantastic incense/iris/woody. Worth a sniff and at least to my nose there's a bit of leather in the drydown.

Some that I have liked enough to buy full bottles:

Chanel No.19--the parfum is iris with oakmoss, rose and leather
    Prada Infusion d'Iris--soapy, clean and powdery
    Miller Harris Terre d'Iris--floral, powdery, woody
    Dior Homme--iris fougere, clean and powdery with soft leather in the drydown

Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile is not really about iris--it seems to be more about gardenia and white florals. I do agree that it is lovely, though!

Quote Originally Posted by Asha View Post
    Acqua di Parma Iris Nobile is not really about iris--it seems to be more about gardenia and white florals. I do agree that it is lovely, though!
    Now that it's dried, you're totally right. It's really lovely though - we may have to get a bottle of it one of these days. At this point (like you said), I'm not getting so much iris as before.

*slinks away again*

Last edited by nthny; 8th April 2009 at 03:47 AM.

In case anyone is wondering, Iris Nobile is currently on sale for 20% off at a certain retailer. PM me and I would be glad to give the info.

Don't forget about Chanel 28 La Pausa, Escentric Molecules Molecule 01, Etat Libre d'Orange Rien, and Odori Iris as other iris-centric recommendations.! They are awesome!

Hillaire

Caleche is a totally unisex, classic iris bomb, and it comes to mind along with Chanel 19

surprised nobody mentioned Le Labo Iris 39 -- although it's more green, it's very nice and worth a try

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    Can you elaborate on your description? & Where did you get a sample?

Also, don't forget P. Generale Iris Taizo, with it's lovely boozy/floral opening.
    I actually have a bottle bought at http://www.thedifferentscent.de/

It is a lighter perfume than the five Delrae perfumes from Michel Roudnitska. I would describe it as a iris leather, with a soft suede note like the one in Daim Blond by Lutens, but without the apricot. A high quality iris is the main note.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Procratus View Post
    I actually have a bottle bought at http://www.thedifferentscent.de/

It is a lighter perfume than the five Delrae perfumes from Michel Roudnitska. I would describe it as a iris leather, with a soft suede note like the one in Daim Blond by Lutens, but without the apricot. A high quality iris is the main note.
    That sounds beautiful. I can't wait to try it. I don't think we can get it in the US yet.

I am very excited to try 2 scents from the Xerjoff line.
    My samples should *hopefully* have arrived from France by the weekend. They come very highly recommended, and are full of iris.

Irisss: A rich, woody and soft composition made of pure florentine orris butter. Sensual and a touch powdery.
    Homme: A dark leather upholstered with a touch of Orris butter and Rose.

Blog Entries

My favorite is Hermes Hiris
    "There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments and which can not fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance-that principle is contempt prior to investigation." HERBERT SPENCER

I forgot to mention M.Micallef Vanille Aoud and Hermes Parfum de Merveilles