Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Biggest disappointment of 2009 so far? ☹☹☹

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    Don't build up too much hope as you're bound to be disappointed

I look forward to Geranium pour Monsieur but I've yet to enjoy a minty topnote accord in any fragrance so I'm a little apprehensive.
    Jathanas, if you haven't already tried them, I recommend trying Creed Green Valley, and Parfumerie Generale's Yuzu Ab Irato, for some good mint topnotes.

I think Baldessarini Strictly Private should get a mention as being really very dull indeed.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post
    I think Baldessarini Strictly Private should get a mention as being really very dull indeed.
    I agree! I tried it a few weeks ago and was amazed at how little I could smell... of anything. Just a faint hint of something utterly forgettable.
    For swap/sale: NIB: Pure Malt, Floris Vetiver, Vintage Tiffany, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme; Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Quote Originally Posted by HDS1963 View Post

Agreed!

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    Burberry The Beat for Men is a pointless citrus-wood that's been done 1000 times and better.
    Yep, I came in here to post that. It's especially disappointing after London and Brit, which are by far the best offerings.

My Biggest disappointment so far must go to the industry itself: The IFRA nazis must go, be stopped, be dismantled and stripped of their ridiculous power NOW!.
    who's with me?

Quote Originally Posted by the_good_life View Post
    My hopes rest on Geranium pour homme.
    Ditto!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by castorpollux View Post
    My Biggest disappointment so far must go to the industry itself: The IFRA nazis must go, be stopped, be dismantled and stripped of their ridiculous power NOW!.
    who's with me?

Count me in!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Jathanas, if you haven't already tried them, I recommend trying Creed Green Valley, and Parfumerie Generale's Yuzu Ab Irato, for some good mint topnotes.
    Thanks mtgprox5, I've meant for ages to get hold of Green Valley, long overdue. Maybe I'll overcome this bad-juju I have w' mint

Quote Originally Posted by jathanas View Post
    Thanks mtgprox5, I've meant for ages to get hold of Green Valley, long overdue. Maybe I'll overcome this bad-juju I have w' mint
    Green Valley's mint is so unlike all the other "toothpaste" accords in some other frags, I think you'll like it, I love it. Glad I could facilitate your addiction.

Quote Originally Posted by SculptureOfSoul View Post
    Sorry, just a bit of a rant as I see so many veterans instantly write off anything designer while lauding many just-as-synthetic niche creations. If you want to hate something, or you want to love it, you most often will.

I feel immune to this since I figure I'm more of a designer snob than anything else. Having said that I spent the afternoon in a brand spanking new Ulta store being disappointed by one designer scent after another. All of the new Burberrys were sad little affairs that smelled a lot like other, older things only not done quite as well, Bulgari's seem to grow more faint and fleeting with each new offering.. Prada? Don't get me started. One bright spot was finding an old timer on the shelf, New West from Aramis (1988), and concluding after a test shot that it remains undiminished by the winds of change.

I thought that now would be a good time to bump this thread, after all we are nearing the end of the year, and this thread hasn't surfaced since April.

Well, if I had only known when I posted the first time on this thread, but the biggest disappointment for me this year has definitely been Geranium Pour Monsiuer, with an honorable mention to Nicolai Patchouli Homme.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    While I actually do really like Brooklyn by Bond No. 9, I was really hoping for more. I was looking for more of a powerhouse rather than what it turned out to be.
    I couldn't believe it was that pathetic when I smelled it.

Hermes new overly-synthetic EDC's let me down to. I expected to like Gentiane Blanc and Pampelmousse Rose.

Hopefully Polo RWB is as good as it's bottle looks.

Quote Originally Posted by mtgprox05 View Post
    Green Valley's mint is so unlike all the other "toothpaste" accords in some other frags, I think you'll like it, I love it. Glad I could facilitate your addiction.
    Yes, i believe nearly all other scents use Mint essential oil, whereas Green Valley among others use the Absolute, which captures all the subtle leafiness and subtle earthy lower registers of the plant.

Quote Originally Posted by DULLAH View Post
    Yes, i believe nearly all other scents use Mint essential oil, whereas Green Valley among others use the Absolute, which captures all the subtle leafiness and subtle earthy lower registers of the plant.
    Dullah, what other fragrances use the absolute that you know of?
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Selection Verte seems to use peppermint absolute.
    Maitre Centaure i assume uses either absolute or mint infusion.
    Absolutes yield similar result as infusion, this being a very full and natural or "Complete" "whole plant" smell and feel............. as it is not just what evaporates in a distillation or other cruder extraction, but is able to capture other nuances and subtle substances which EO's do not contain.

It is part of why CDG peppermint and Selection Verte's peppermint smell different, one leafier and fuller, more natural, containing what seems to be the stem and leaf smell as well as the main characteristic, and one just like 90% menthol, menthyl acetate, and menthone.

CK Free - probably the lamest scent ever at least considering 2009. Lasts 10 minutes and the smell itself is completely generic.

Just two for me:

Havana Vanille, I expected something more interesting from Duchaufour. Dover Street Market, especially next to the lovely Standard from CdG x Artek.

Any and all of the new D&G numbered frags, also Only the Brave by Diesel.

One more Havana Vanille. Terribly big disappointment.

Bond Brooklyn....what a let down.

After that one...I will never get too excited about a fragrance again.

I liked some of the previously dissed scents, including John Varvatos Artisan and Bond No. 9 Brooklyn.

But here's my "Bottom 5":

• Cartier Roadster Sport: Sniffed this at Saks several days ago... Roadster without the mint that made the original interesting.
    • ckfree: More like ckinspirationfree.
    • Diesel Only the Brave: Angel plus Prada original for women, rebottled and sold to guys. Only the brave can pull it off, indeed.
    • The D&G Fragrance Anthology, with the sole exception of 11 La Force. When did P&G's functional fragrance department responsible for scenting Tide, Old Spice Body Wash, and Olay Quench decide to bottle the fragrances of those products for $65/bottle?
    • Zegna Colonia: The already boring ZegnaIntenso, now with more boring. Cool bottle, though.

BTW, I also started a thread "Biggest Loves of 2009".
    Top 5 for Fall:
    1) Straight to Heaven - By Kilian
    2) New York - Nicolai
    3) Terre d'Hermes
    4) Aventus - Creed
    5)
    Flower of Immortality - By Kilian
    My mission statement: "I am not afraid to keep on living - I am not afraid to walk this world alone."

Agreed on the D&G Anthology. Luckily, this is the year I've gotten back into fragrances so everything was blind and didn't have any "hopes" to break or anything. BUT Dolce & Gabbana was the only name that sounded familiar and I love The One, By Man, and Pour Homme. Then I tried that and was really disappointed

Off-Scenter

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by Off-Scenter; 27th November 2009 at 03:55 AM.

Adding Havana Vanille to my list too...this was a sad year for perfume. If it wasn't for Ubar, I'd almost have given up hope.

AcP Magnolia Nobile
    Amouage Epic Man
    Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre
    Chanel Cristalle Eau Verte
    Christian Dior Escale a Pondichery
    Christian Dior Fahrenheit Absolute
    Davidoff Hot Water
    Estee Lauder Private Collection Jasmine White Moss
    Frederic Fekkai Femme Fekkai Sensuelle
    Giorgio Armani Idole d’Armani
    Guerlain Idylle
    Herms Terre d’Herms Parfum
    Issey Miyake A Scent By Issey Miyake
    Juliette Has A Gun Midnight Oud
    La Prairie Life Threads Silver, Gold & Platinum
    Mona di Orio Jabu
    Nasomatto Black Afgano
    Narciso Rodriguez For Her & For Him Musc Collection
    Parfum d’Empire 3 Fleurs
    Parfum d’Empire Wazamba
    Prada L’Eau Ambree
    Robert Piguet Futur
    Serge Lutens Fille en Aiguilles
    Tom Ford Arabian Wood
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver

bold = HUGE dissapointment
    Last edited by scent; 24th November 2009 at 12:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by scent View Post
    AcP Magnolia Nobile
    Amouage Epic Man
    Annick Goutal Mandragore Pourpre
    Chanel Cristalle Eau Verte
    Christian Dior Escale a Pondichery
    Christian Dior Fahrenheit Absolute
    Davidoff Hot Water
    Estee Lauder Private Collection Jasmine White Moss
    Frederic Fekkai Femme Fekkai Sensuelle
    Giorgio Armani Idole dArmani
    Guerlain Idylle
    Herms Terre dHerms Parfum
    Issey Miyake A Scent By Issey Miyake
    Juliette Has A Gun Midnight Oud
    La Prairie Life Threads Silver, Gold & Platinum
    Mona di Orio Jabu
    Nasomatto Black Afgano
    Narciso Rodriguez For Her & For Him Musc Collection
    Parfum dEmpire 3 Fleurs
    Parfum dEmpire Wazamba
    Prada LEau Ambree
    Robert Piguet Futur
    Serge Lutens Fille en Aiguilles
    Tom Ford Arabian Wood
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver

bold = HUGE dissapointment
    wow, tell us what you really think!

Terre D'Hermes Parfum and Grey Vetiver - really? maybe overhyped, but I thought both were overall very good and deserving of acceptance, and considering they're sold at many mainstream stores, within that selection I think they're borderline "Excellent" in my books...
    NEW SPLIT - Tom Ford Lavender Palm 50ml in Atomizer - DISCONTINUED!. .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Tom Ford Bois Marocain, hands down.
    The Bark Bites Back.

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

The greater the expectations the bigger the disappointment, and you might end up with a list as long as scent's.

Mine would be just one:

GUERLAIN HOMME. Sorry, but a big-ass thumbs down to the new chief in-house nose, Thierry Wasser. The Guerlain ancestors must be rolling in their graves right now...
    Last edited by Diamondflame; 24th November 2009 at 03:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    wow, tell us what you really think!

Terre D'Hermes Parfum and Grey Vetiver - really? maybe overhyped, but I thought both were overall very good and deserving of acceptance, and considering they're sold at many mainstream stores, within that selection I think they're borderline "Excellent" in my books...
    Just as Diamondflame said, the greater the expectations the bigger the disappointment. I was expecting Terre d'Hermes parfum to smell different "enough" than the EDT, but it wasn't...at all!!! Grey Vetyver was an incredibly boring, generic vetiver. I learned that pine is NOT my friend, hence I ended up hating Fille e Aguilles, Wazamba (apple, bleeeeech!!!!), and Black Afghano! I'm a huge SL follower, so that was probably my biggest disappointment. Oh wait, that would be TF's Arabian Wood, which I had been anticipating since mid-2008 when I first heard about it. When I first smelt it, I was like, this is Private Collection. Seriously...a chypre!!! I was NOT excpecting that! I could go on and on, but I don't want to reignite my perfume frustrations LoL! Let's just say the perfume gods have not been kind to me in 2009.

Givenchy Play Intense ( What is intense in this one I really want to know )

We should get a poll going for this! Anyways my vote...

Diesel Only the Brave

Everything.

Mark Buxtons new range.

Yes, I was very disappointed by Mark Buxton's line and Le Labo exclusives (except for Gaiac)
    Evenstar

Nasomatto Black Afgano
    Le Labo Oud 27

Quote Originally Posted by Trebor View Post
    Everything.
    Aren't we the cheery one?

Havana Vanille was an awful disappointment. Sounded great on paper, but is a limpid, plastic-musky little thing.
    Teach me to get my hopes up.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

I was disappointed in the CdG Daphne. It sounded like one that would suit me, but it just didn't work.

BTW, I like Vanille Galante a lot! Not at first, though, because it was so different from my expectations. As many have said, it's a lovely salty lily.

Still hopeful that I will be one of the few to like Havana Vanille...

Everything in the Mark Buxton and Boadicea the (Un)Victorious line.

I agree with those whom have already mentioned Geranium Pour Homme. *snoooooore*

For me it has to be Bond No 9 Signature. Those notes sounded really promising when I read them but the fragrance smells closer to a shampoo than a perfume. Bond must think that all their customers are gullible idiots. This seems to be their formula: 1. make a note pyramid that sounds niche 2. Have a nose make you some run of the mill designer scent. using synthetics 3. Increase the concentration so that it smells strong. 4. Pour it in a kitchy brightly colored bottle 5. Perhaps slap some Swarovski crystals on it. 6. Send to market 7. Laugh all the way to the bank. 8. Repeat. Oh and I almost forgot 9. jack the price up every year or so to keep up with perceived luxury/quality.

Second biggest dissapointment of 2009 for me will probably be Bond Harrods special edition. I haven't even smelled it yet. A kind BN'er is sending me a sample. But after smelling Signature i cannot say I'm optimistic about it.

I had really high hopes for Zen for Men, being a big fan of Basala and anything that Serge Lutens touches. But this one is actually one of the most banal releases of the year.

Quote Originally Posted by tmp00 View Post
    I'd have to say Nuits de Cellophane. Like watching Placido Domingo knit or Meryl Streep plant bulbs.
    Another vote here for Nuits de Cellophane, all I got was one humongous melon note! Whenever I have a melon the rind gets double ziplocked bagged before going in the garbage, I mean why on earth would I want to smell like that?

I think Placido could do most anything, but I didn't know he knit!

Quote Originally Posted by veuve amiot View Post
    Aren't we the cheery one?
    Yeah, it's just a glowing example of my irresistible my charm.

But seriously, this thread was asking for such a response and I'm not one to lie. Now, where did I put those rose-tinted spectacles? I've been looking for them for years...
    Last edited by Trebor; 26th November 2009 at 09:57 PM.