Code of Conduct

Default Help me replace Issey..

Hey there So, this is my first 'real' thread.. but here goes:

Summer is coming, and I've finally burned through my bottle of L'eau d'Issey that I've had for the last several years for summer.

This has been my go-to scent for summer time for many a year and I have to admit that I'm kind of outgrowing it. I still enjoy it, but maybe the better term to use is burnt out? So, I am looking for something new, but with some of the same characteristics. Something with good longevity is a plus. Sillage/Projection isn't a huge concern.

Any suggestions? I would prefer something that isn't as widespread/popular as L'eau d'Issey so I would have something a little unique, but I'm open to mass market / designer frags too

I think my wardrobe is clickable.. (Edit: Okay, so it isn't?)

Serge Lutens - Ambre Sultan, Daim Blond, Douce Amere, Five o'Clock Au Gingembre, Fumerie Turque, Gris Clair, Serge Noire, Un Bois Vanille
    L'Artisan Parfumeur - Tea for Two, L'Eau de Navagateur
    Guerlain - L'instant Guerlain pour Homme EDT
    Bvlgari - Bvlgari Black
    Rochas - Man
    Parfumerie Generale - L'eau Guerriere, Une Crime Exotique
    Givenchy - Very Irrésistible for Men
    Gucci - Envy
    Old Spice
    Hanae Mori - Hanae Mori EDP
    Montale - Black Aoud, Red Vetyver
    Comme des Garcons - Vettiveru, Kyoto, and Jaisalmer
    Last edited by alacious; 6th April 2009 at 05:15 PM.

Default Re: Help me replace Issey..

May I recommend, Hugh Parsons Blue. I love it, and it is comparable to Issey in that it is a citrus with slight aquatic undertones. But Hugh Parsons, is wonderfully refined and casual, AND, can be found relatively inexpensively online. You should defintely try it out.

For summer, Vetiver Extraordinaire by FM is my "go to" scent for the summer.

I also like Creed Millesime Imperial, Amouage Reflection Man, Bond No.9 Nuits de Noho, and Nasomatto Silver Musk for the warmer months.

Gendarme EDP (not the EDT, it's too volatile)

Acqua di Parma - Colonia Assoluta

To stay in a similar style, I would absolutely stand behind Bois 1920 Classic 1920. I think Beauty Encounter has that line for much cheaper than some places, and even offers occasional 20% coupons.

A great replacement for L'Eau D'Issey would be Creed Millesime Imperial. It may seem to have poor longevity, but the more you wear it you will see that it lasts pretty well. It's got that same attention grabbing aquatic freshness as L'Eau D'Issey but it's even better.

These suggestions all sound great, guys Feel free to keep em coming, the more for me to try the better

Sur la Plage

Bulgari Aqua
    YSL Live Jazz
    Puro Lino
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Dependent

lowewe solo and fahrenheit 32, or eve aigner black seem fine, from what i hear about you . cheers
    Last edited by MFJ; 6th April 2009 at 09:11 PM.

Creed Erolfa is a brilliant take on the Aquatic genre. I suggest looking into it.

YSL Live Jazz is also great but not particularly aquatic.

Quote Originally Posted by dynendal View Post
    Creed Erolfa is a brilliant take on the Aquatic genre. I suggest looking into it.
    Agreed - I think that might be something up your alley as well. It works well in many environments (casual, hot days, cool evenings, dressed up/down, etc) and has even worked well at some black tie events I've attended.

Hugh Parsons blue is really good, but

The best recommendation I can make is bulgari's aqua, king of the designer aquatics (and better than erolfa, regardless of the mindless praise it gets on here).

Wow guys, most all of these sound great.. Luckyscent is gonna have a heyday when I order my samples :P

As an additional question, and something regarding aquatics... what would your opinion be as to the best 'marine' scent? Are there any that genuinely smell of the ocean?

I've tried a few of these, and though their names escape me, they tended to smell somewhat synthetic. Is there actually a good one?

Quote Originally Posted by alacious View Post
    Wow guys, most all of these sound great.. Luckyscent is gonna have a heyday when I order my samples :P

As an additional question, and something regarding aquatics... what would your opinion be as to the best 'marine' scent? Are there any that genuinely smell of the ocean?

I've tried a few of these, and though their names escape me, they tended to smell somewhat synthetic. Is there actually a good one?
    Out of the designer fragrances, Bulgari Aqua is the most "marine" of them all. However, in the niche world, there are numerous fragrances with a salty, marine quality. Heeley's sel marin, Farmacia's Hyle, and Sel di Vetiver by the different company all display this aspect to various degrees, and can be found on luckyscent's website.

I agree with Hugh Parsons Blue, but recommend Hugh Parsons 99 Regent Street even more.

Creed Reolfa is another great choice.

The scent grows richer, he knows he must be near
    He finds a long passageway lit by chandelier
    Each step he takes, the perfumes change
    From familiar fragrance to flavours strange
    A magnificent chamber meets his eye

Quote Originally Posted by alacious View Post

I tend to not like the ones labeled as "marine" because I don't feel comfortable smelling that realistic, I love my aquatics though. A few good recommendation for a "marine" scent can be found at Luckyscent. The most expensive one being Acua Di Sale, but then in a slightly lower price range and worthy of sampling are Aria di Mare, Hyle, and Sel Marin.

Sel de Vetiver and Sel Marin sound amazing, Sel Marin in particular sounding exactly like what I wanted... but Sel de Vetiver more like something I would wear

I will check out a few of those, though.

Sel Marin is a bottle I have been waiting for ages to buy. I might have to throw down all $150 that lucky scent wants for it though =(

Givenchy Monsieur De Givenchy
    Clean Shower Fresh for Men
    Eau Parfumee Green Tea by Bvlgari
    Citron de Vigne by Fresh

three I can think of....lots of citrus in here...
    Last edited by Duncan; 7th April 2009 at 02:35 AM.