Code of Conduct

Default Tom Ford Black Orchid for a Guy?

Hell, it may as well be, since I bought a bottle at the Maxx today.

This is an EDT. I "air-sprayed" it since I didn't want to interfere with my existing scent. I thought it smelled quite good ( and different) and bought it for $29.99 for a 1 oz. bottle.

Any guys wear it, and what are your thoughts? The majority of the reviews here are by gals. Not surprisingly.

Other intriguing buys there: Biijan, Cerruti Image, Adidas Victory League and the original Caiborne for Men. Didn't buy them as they had no samples available, but I'm still curious about them and wondering if you had any thoughts on these as well.

Sur la Plage

Default Re: Tom Ford Black Orchid for a Guy?

Did you buy Black Orchid or Black Orchid Voile de Fleur? There is a difference between the two.

I love Black Orchid and wear it all of the time - it is one of my favorites. I prefer Black Orchid over Black Orchid Voile de Fleur.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 6th April 2009 at 10:03 PM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

I think there was literally this exact thread topic a few weeks ago, but I can't seem to find it.

The answer is yes, a guy can wear BO.

Tons of guys here wear it. They like it and grt compliments on it. You should try to do a search on it.
    But once you get locked into a serious perfume collection, the tendency is to push it as far as you can.

Quote Originally Posted by bbBD View Post
    I think there was literally this exact thread topic a few weeks ago, but I can't seem to find it.

The answer is yes, a guy can wear BO.
    I remember that thread. The general consensus was that Voile de Fleur was more femme than the regular Black Orchid, but many thought it was still unisex.

Personally, I think a guy could pull off Voile de Fleur, and if you feel confidence wearing it, that's all that really matters.

I have only tried Black Orchid Voile de Fleur (never tried the original BO) and I think it is very good and would wear it if I own it.
    my question is, what is the difference between voile de fleur and the original BO? if you had to decide, which of the two would you guys pick and suggest???

Yes, you'll find that most men here think that Black Orchid is totally unisex. However, what you purchased is not Black Orchid, but rather Black Orchid Voile de Fleur. I think it's very nice, but for me, it was a bit too light of a floral for me to get into it. I have owned a bottle before and even considered picking it up again at that price for my girlfriend, but I don't even remember being wowed by it enough to stand behind it and have her wear it.

BO VDF was painfully feminine, I don't think it would fool anyone. Im sure it would smell nice on a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Yes, you'll find that most men here think that Black Orchid is totally unisex. However, what you purchased is not Black Orchid, but rather Black Orchid Voile de Fleur. I think it's very nice, but for me, it was a bit too light of a floral for me to get into it. I have owned a bottle before and even considered picking it up again at that price for my girlfriend, but I don't even remember being wowed by it enough to stand behind it and have her wear it.
    Is that because it's an EDT?

The box and bottle simply say "Black Orchid."

Sur la Plage

Quote Originally Posted by Butthead53 View Post
    Is that because it's an EDT?

The box and bottle simply say "Black Orchid."
    Black Orchid is an EDP. Black Orchid Voile de Fleur is an EDT - but it definitely says "Voile de Fleur" on the box. It is what I have seen at numerous Marshalls/TJ Maxx stores.
    Last edited by petruccijc; 7th April 2009 at 01:46 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

The marketing/ design is very misleading. Both botles are basically the same except BO has a gold plaque whereas VDF has a black plaque. Both bottles say only "Tom ford black orchid".

I love Black Orchid. To me, it's so much greater than Tom Ford Extreme for men. Black Orchid works so well on my skin. it's not too overstrong. It's dark, wet, seductive, quite masculin and very luxerious.

You guys are right; my box does say VDF.

What's the difference between the two?

Slightly different fragrance - both are totally wearable by guys. Seriously, if you like it, wear it and don't stress it for a second.... all that matters is you appreciate the artistry - nothing else.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Butthead53 View Post
    You guys are right; my box does say VDF.

What's the difference between the two?
    Black Orchid is the original - very sweet and complex oriental that includes a deep almost carmelized fruit accord with slight rum/sugar cane accents and woods.

Black Orchid Voile de Fleur - a very BIG white floral note (tuberose or jasmine - I'm not sure?) that dries down to the original Black Orchid fragrance.

I prefer the original. I found the BOVDF too huge of a floral to wear comfortably.
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 7th April 2009 at 03:27 PM.

I prefer Voile de Fleur. Yes, it's floral, but it's light and crisp instead of the heavy sweetness of the original. BTW, I've raised orchids for twenty years, and VdF smells very like many of the Cattleyas I've grown, with maybe a touch of lily of the valley. VdF is the one white floral I enjoy and feel confident wearing.

Quote Originally Posted by chocolateguy View Post
    I love Black Orchid. To me, it's so much greater than Tom Ford Extreme for men. Black Orchid works so well on my skin. it's not too overstrong. It's dark, wet, seductive, quite masculin and very luxerious.
    absolutely agreed , and at the same time discreet
    my current top five (always in transition)

Dior Eau Noire
    HdP 1725 Casanova
    eau de gloire parfum d'empire
    Dia man Amouage
    comme des garçons man 2

I wear both BO and BO VdF often and I like them about the same. I feel very comfortable with both. It all depends on your state if mind, The opening of BO is dark, mysterious and kinda sad while BOVdF's is light, happy and kinda careless. But their drydown is very similar.
    They are both in my top 10 list.
    Stay away from Adidas VL, a total abomination, and Cerruti Image the only good thing about it is the spritzer LOL.

I wear BO and I have no problems with it. It dries down to a woody scent in the end. It layers very well with Tuscan Leather also.
    Five that I am enjoying right now

1) Sel de Vetiver by The Different Company
    2) Spiritueuse Double Vanille by Guerlain
    3) Bois des Iles by Chanel
    4) Devin by Aramis
    5) Coromandel by Chanel

Both Black Orchid and White Patchouli were marketed as men's and women's scents. I wear Black Orchid in the winter. It is unique and potent.

Read this article on what Black Orchid is supposed to smell like:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandsty...me-ingredients
    "No sweet perfume ever tortured me more than this." Desert Rose by Sting and Cheb Mami, Album 1999.

YESSSS
    The EDP is outstanding.
    On me it turns into a creamy coconut cocktail that its delicious.

But Voile de Fleur its too much fruity on me, like a fruit salad. I dont like VdF that much.

I wear my gf's Black Orchid (her main work scent) whenever she doesn't.

what else can I say?

yes, BO can be worn by a man. I've got a bottle and love it but it's not something I wear often since it's very unique. although would make a good signature scent. in moderation!!! this juice is potent!

I've smelled the VdF and much prefer the original, but try it out.
    Good price there too on that 30ml you got
    NEW SPLIT - By Kilian A Taste of Heaven (full 50ml bottles). .

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads