Code of Conduct

Default Come Spring Fling with us

On the SOTD thread many people asked that those of us who went share with you. So, I guess I'll take the first stab at that:
    Well, where to start. It's still dark and you're rolling out of bed. You briefly flirt with the idea of choosing a fragrance, but quickly realize that you need to go scentless - so you'll be ready. You have a cup of coffee and head for the train.

Midtown is a ghost town at 8:00 AM on a Saturday. On some streets you can hear your own footsteps. You walk past huge and famous stores, their windows still dark. Bergdorf's looks forbiddingly quiet until you turn the corner and approach the side door. An employee gives you directions to the cafe downstairs. You might briefly flirt with the idea of being the lone shopper as you walk through accessories on the first floor, but you're better behaved than that so you head downstairs. There are flocks of sa's on the lower level, and a low buzz and the smell of food coming from a staircase to your left. As you walk in a woman smiles and hands you a bag.

You see Neil Morris before anyone else. He's bigger and more beautiful than everyone else in the room. That man has great energy. But you don't really know Neil Morris so you don't shout, "Neil! Neil!" from the steps. You find a seat. You have some nice coffee, a danish and some fresh squeezed orange juice and try to decide whether to paw through your goodie bag immediately or wait until you get home and can really play with it. I waited, but let's look now:

You got a Holiday candle from Nest. The box is a gorgeous velvet.Samples of :
    Caron - Pour Un Homme De Caron
    Caron - Infini
    Tom Ford for Men Cream
    a very generous 1.6 oz of Gucci Flora cream
    and a lot of skin care samples and gold bag.

The presenters pass around paper strips and displays. Tom Crutchfield of Annick Goutal is especially charismatic. And the gentlemen from Amouage give samples of the newly rereleased Ubar.

Then they turn you loose after telling you the first 30 people to visit Jo Malone will get a little gift.
    The gift from Jo Malone includes samples of the new fragrances, cream and body wash. It comes in a lovely black bag.
    You find Karen Adams who gives you your beautiful gold satin bag of samples , your sniffapalooza pen, your lunch tickets, and your name tag. She also gives you a warm welcome. Karen is adorable. She's tall and lanky and cool.Throughout the weekend she's tweeting.

I can't speak for you, but what I found most exciting were the new Sisley perfumes, and brand I had never heard of - I'm finding out who they were.

What is exciting at Bergdorf? Well, you buy an AG roller of Un Matin d'Orage you are entered in a lottery for a butterfly bottle filled with the fragrance of your choice (but you don't win) and you get a half ounce of Ambre Fetiche Eau de Parfum.

Then Lunch. Lunch is nice. The apple tart at the end, is amazing. The speakers include a elegant gentleman from Molinard. He has a heavy accent and they keep asking if you want coffee while he's talking, but after everyone assures you that you heard correctly. He did in fact invite all of you to visit him in Grasse.

At Takashimaya you buy a bottle of Divine for $49.00, They had Miller Harris Couer d'Ete on sale as well, but you didn't get that. Some other fragrances on sale as well. You have a cupcake that is to die for, with pieces of orange. Nice ice tea. Then Neil Morris signs the bottle of Takashimaya that you buy, with a beautiful silver pen.

Sadly you have to go to Bendel and Spafumerie with someone else. I ran out of steam at 3:30. I'd had a cold all week. The dayquil was wearing off. I had to go.

Sunday is far more relaxed. Bond 9 puts our a gorgeous continental breakfast. The store is a long narrow space, with ceilings high enough to hang tapestries (with a picture of the monalisa if I recall correctly) like a tent. There are fountains of their fragrances (though not all) and arrays of bottles on long glass tables. The staff is cheerful and attentive. When you leave they hand you a bag, it's filled with their samples, wrapped like candy, and a bon bon of Astor Place. Sunday, downtown is relaxed and you can go where you want in the order you choose. Let's go to La Labo. You arrive too late for the samples but still get to check out their selection. Were you standing beside me I would have pointed out the Tuberose and the Bergamote to you. I liked those best.

Then off to Lafco. I love Lafco. It's big and airy and smells good. It's got a thousand things to smell, candles and potpouri and even candy. And of course perfume. You might find out you love Santa Maria Novella. You might even buy shaving cream or mouth wash. I was most intrigued by the Santa Maria Novella and the Eau D'Italie, but maybe you would have been more intrigued by the Lorenzo Villoresi.

We have to hurry to Bloomingdales Soho, because they have gifts for us! They've gone all out. Jo Malone loads you up with samples, lots and lots of samples. There are creams and samples and all sorts of wonderfulness.

Before we go to L'Artisan and lunch, come with me to the Space NK counter because they are doing something interesting. First their perfumes are gorgeous, light airy and they smell like flowers not chemicals. But they are doing something amazing. They are offering little bottles for $30. You don't have to hand over your retirement money on a bottle you many never use. You can buy a little one, for a reasonable cost. Wow.

At L'Artisan you might be standing next to me when I fall in love with the limited edition Fleur de Narcissus. Oh my.

At lunch Gerald Dubose made the women swoon both with his fragrances and with his poetry. The salmon cake was amazingly delicious.

Now we are off to Aedes de Venustas, which is one of my favorite places. They get you tipsy on bellinis, sell you beautiful perfumes and load you up with the samples of your choice.

Whew. Ok, if I haven't exhausted you, hopefully some others will chime in and show you everything I missed.

Default Re: Come Spring Fling with us

Clearly I need an editor to come in and clean things up, before I ever hit send. Please bear with me.

Quote Originally Posted by debbborra View Post
    Clearly I need an editor to come in and clean things up, before I ever hit send. Please bear with me.
    Are You kidding???
    That was great you made me feel like I was your wingman for the weekend.
    Thanks.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Somerville Metro Man View Post
    Are You kidding???
    That was great you made me feel like I was your wingman for the weekend.
    Thanks.
    Ditto. I loved every word! Thanks for taking the time to share with us.

thank you for the write-up.
    it's as if I was there and didn't miss a thing -- except for the freebie samples!
    sounds like you had a great time debbborea!
    Last edited by dimples; 7th April 2009 at 12:11 AM.
    I'm simplifying my life. For Sale Thread (some niche, some designer):
    http://community.basenotes.net/showthread.php?t=222407

I've left things out, like how Neil Morris smells delicious. And Dawn Spencer Hurwitz gave samples of Viridian, Cyan and Quinacridone Violet. She's one of the most charming people you'll ever meet. Both Karens are warm and make time to make everyone feel included, and it's a busy weekend for them, Gerald Dubose makes gorgeous perfume. We smelled two. They smelled like frankincense to me, but there isn't any in either of the ones we got to smell. I am forgetting other things too.

Chaya must fill in the gaps.

Blog Entries

It sounds yummy, thanks for putting it all down. You must be pooped!

Thank you for sharing. It sounds like a very good time. Please let us know your impressions as you sample new perfumes.
    Evenstar

Basenotes Plus

debbborra did a wonderful job recapping the event.

Although our interest & love of fragrance brings us together, it's the wonderful people and the friendships we form that keep us together.

Spafumerie treated us like royalty. Neil, Dawn, Sarah Barton-King (The Pink Room),Dorothy McCall (Kingsbury Fragrances) & Gerald were the perfumers in the house. They were right there to answer your questions or just have a chat. We sipped wonderful champagne, ate fresh strawberries dipped in chocolate and enjoyed the generous 30%discount on fragrances & 50% discount on spa services.

Joe wasn't physically present but he called from Europe to make sure we we being taken care of and were enjoying ourselves.

One of the very best things I've discovered in learning more about fragrances is getting to know the perfumer behind the fragrance. It makes such a difference knowing what inspired Neil to create a particular scent or what painting or fabric Dawn was imagining when she visualized a scent or what naughty story Sarah has dreamed up for her fragrance or what new soap Dorothy has poured or what poem Gerald has written, then made liquid for us to enjoy. It matters and makes my experience of their fragrances so much richer.

The relationships are what the past weekend was about for me and I loved every minute of it. Well, not so much the migraine I started to get when my sister dumped all of Dawn's samples on herself at once: Quinacridone Violet, Cyan (launched at this event) & Virdian all together....Viridian has lovage in it. Lovage does not love me at all. So, we had to leave duing the luncheon to perform emergency scrubbing in the ladies room. We missed Chandlers talk. bummer!

It was a special time.
    Last edited by RHM; 7th April 2009 at 04:12 PM.

Smile Re: Come Spring Fling with us

Quote Originally Posted by RHM View Post
    debbborra did a wonderful job recapping the event.

Although our interest & love of fragrance brings us together, it's the wonderful people and the friendships we form that keep us together.

Spafumerie treated us like royalty. Neil, Dawn, Sarah Barton-King (The Pink Room) & Gerald were the perfumers in the house. They were right there to answer your questions or just have a chat. We sipped wonderful champagne, ate fresh strawberries dipped in chocolate and enjoyed the generous 30%discount on fragrances & 50% discount on spa services.

Joe wasn't physically present but he called from Europe to make sure we we being taken care of and were enjoying ourselves.

One of the very best things I've discovered in learning more about fragrances is getting to know the perfumer behind the fragrance. It makes such a difference knowing what inspired Neil to create a particular scent or what painting or fabric Dawn was imagining when she visualized a scent or what naughty story Sarah has dreamed up for her fragrance or what poem Gerald has written, then made liquid for us to enjoy. It matters and makes my experience of their fragrances so much richer.

The relationships are what the past weekend was about for me and I loved every minute of it. Well, not so much the migraine I started to get when my sister dumped all of Dawn's samples on herself at once: Quinacridone Violet, Cyan (launched at this event) & Virdian all together....Viridian has lovage in it. Lovage does not love me at all. So, we had to leave duing the luncheon to perform emergency scrubbing in the ladies room. We missed Chandlers talk. bummer!

It was a special time.
    I agree with everything you just said. So sorry that you missed Chandler's talk. Too bad that wasn't turned into a video! He was marvelous.

Thanks debbborra for the recap!
    Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so.

Douglas Adams

Thank you debbborra, that reads wonderfully, in one sit! Jam-packed with events, smells, people and food. Fragrant kaleidoscope of pictures, one is better than the previous one.

So, Neil M. is smelling good too? What was he wearing? Did he come up with something new for the event?

What new perfumes did Sisley launch? Or, are they all new to you? What was your personal favorite of Sisley line?

Who is Gerald Dubose? What are the names of the swoonworthy scents he is making? What type of poetry did he treat you to?

RHM, who is "Joe" calling from Europe? Jo Malone?

In general, how is the transportation from one store to another organized? You guys just walk, in a big chatty group? How was the weather?

What a wonderful time you all must have had! Thanks for the fantastic play-by-play, debbbora.

Ooh, sounds delightful, debbora! Love your vivid descriptions, it's like I was right there!
    So were those Sisley's Eau de Sisley 1, 2 and 3? I got to smell them the other day and I'm particularly fond of no. 3. Nice and gingery.
    It is known that there are an infinite number of worlds, simply because there is an infinite amount of space for them to be in. However, not every one of them is inhabited. Any finite number divided by infinity is as near nothing as makes no odds, so the average population of all the planets in the Universe can be said to be zero. From this it follows that the population of the whole Universe is also zero, and that any people you may meet from time to time are merely products of a deranged imagination.

Douglas Adams

Did some reading in the morning, Sisley IS coming up with the 3 new scents -- how cool is that? 3 fragrances in previous 30 years and then 3 in 2009! Wow, thanks for the heads up. What is the price range of them?

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Oooo. A+++, deb. If we couldn't experience the fragrances, at least you took us through your weekend with beautifully descriptive imagery.

RHM, mbanderson, thanks for piping in.

We're looking forward to hearing more, more, more.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Quarry View Post
    We're looking forward to hearing more, more, more.
    With a Rebel Yell we want more, more, more.......more,more,more.
    Sorry I had to channel my inner Billy Idol.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

Neil is about six and a half feet tall, and his wrists are as thick as small trees.Not a fat man, at all, but he's solid and big. He's bald as an egg - and he wears Takashimaya beautifully. On him it's very dry and a little smoky. He will hug you. He did not launch a new fragrance at the event, but when you speak with him, it's clear he's still plotting perfume persistently. (I have a weakness for alliteration. I apologize.)
    As Veuve AmiotTwolf points out they (the Sisley) are called 1, 2, and 3. I believe that is permanent, so that each wearer can assign their own name. 1 is a light pretty citrus floral. I liked it. I did not however think it was their most interesting. 2, they say, is more masculine. It is a unisex, I think. What I loved about it was the basil. The basil was clear and very much a star of the composition, where usually it gets relegated to the chorus. Let's call it a unisex, ok? 3 was also very beautiful and spicier. More feminine. If I were going to buy just one I would end up at the counter wavering for a long time. The packaging is cheerful and kind of makes me think of European stoneware, with fruit painted on a white background in bright colors. I tried Eau d'Campagne for the first time. That was beautiful. I almost took out my wallet and bought a huge bottle right away. I didn't and it turned out to be a good thing, because it did not dry down as nicely on me. It kept the hebal quality I liked but developed something kind of mushroomy or cheeselike on my skin. However, if it dries down nicer on any of you, I volunteer to follow you around and sniff you.

Gerald is the perfumer behind G Knight Perfumes. He is a huge, very dark man, with long dreads and the most cherubic face you have ever seen. Kinghtfall and Knightfall Maiden blend orange zest and spices in a way that is not redolent of a christmas potpourri. There is a quality that I found reminiscent of frankincense, but he assures me it isn't. He also assures me that the impression is not ridiculous. The woman's has a much stronger emphasis on the jasmine, but the two are very much related. You might want to check out his website: http://www.gknight.net/ His poetry is reads fast and deep and is romantic without a drop of saccharine. I have absolutely no background in poetry and don't understand the craft, so I can't do better than that with the description. I can only say I liked it.

Apart from the lunch seatings on the second day (because the restaurant is not a huge one) time on everything was fairly fluid. You could arrive a little late, leave a little early, run over to another nearby shop if you really wanted (and if you're only in NY for a weekend you might very much want to) So, toward the end people start trickling out and drifting toward the next destination. Everything is in walking distance of one another. Though I didn't envy Chaya her poor foot.
    Last edited by debbborra; 7th April 2009 at 03:56 PM.

Hi debbborra! You can always say "Hi Neil" from across the room! I'd love it! And thanks for saying I smell good - I guess that's my job!! I do have 10 new scents that we'll be putting on our site soon, Twolf. Midnight Forest, Earthtones #4 - Red Sky, Leather Garden, Vapor, Vanille Rosé, Mariner, Rumi, Prowl, City Rain and Mystic Dragon.

David and I had a wonderful time this weekend and the best part were all the great hugs!!

Love, Neil

Basenotes Plus

Oh & Twolf, "Joe" is Joe Garces, President of Robert Piguet Fragrances & the owner of Turtle Bay Spafumerie. He's been a guardian angel & mentor to Sniffapalooza. It's due to his efforts that the Robert Piguet formulas have been brought back to the quality & spirit of the Germaine Cellier originals.

It was at Spafumerie we got to sniff the newest RP "Futur", a leather chypre.

Neil tried a new scent of his on me, it's called Vapor. WOW! Aldehydes that didn't give me a headache. He said "It's an atmosphere!" This one was getting loads of compliments. He had more but was being gentle with me after the Viridian incident. D*nm! I hate it that I missed out on Chandlers talk!

The Bloomies in SoHo was really nice. The Jo Malone counter was especially generous with the samples and the little black beribboned canvas bag. Sweet! Their new fragrance display was inviting but as usual the testers are all crowded together. SA's were very helpful & weren't "pushy" at all. That was great!
    Last edited by RHM; 7th April 2009 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Whiffman View Post
    Hi debbborra! You can always say "Hi Neil" from across the room! I'd love it! And thanks for saying I smell good - I guess that's my job!! I do have 10 new scents that we'll be putting on our site soon, Twolf. Midnight Forest, Earthtones #4 - Red Sky, Leather Garden, Vapor, Vanille Rosé, Mariner, Rumi, Prowl, City Rain and Mystic Dragon.

David and I had a wonderful time this weekend and the best part were all the great hugs!!

Love, Neil
    Well, I'll yell "Hi Neil" from across the continent. I am testing your MARINER this morning, Neil. It is stunning! I'm very curious about the makeup of it, as I'm not yet very good at identifying individual notes. Definitely some aquatic notes and a pretty flower or two.

Basenotes Plus

Debbborra, outstanding recap! I don't know how in the world I failed to connect with you but am I ever sorry I did. Ditto for anyone else I may have missed. Dang!

I had an absolute blast on Saturday. This was I think my 6th or 7th Sniffa and it's nothing less than total magic to be among all those scented kindred spirits. At the Bergdorf breakfast I sat next to that divine gentleman from Molinard. He called me his ideal customer when I told him I couldn't care less about a frag's popularity or trendiness. Many laughs and hugs with old friends and new. Wanting more time with everyone.

No purchases for me, but a couple additions to the wish list:

Keiko Mecheri Mogador - a beautiful rose and jasmine blend, subtle and feminine

Apothia Pearl - tried this at Bendel where I met Ron Robinson, Apothia's personable founder. A charming mix of fresh, green (but not sharp) notes and warmer basenotes: shiso leaf, plum blossom, peony, orris, warm golden amber

Tom Ford Arabian Wood - wonderful, woody and fresh

And Eau de Sisley 3. I'm wearing it today and enjoying it very much. Bright and airy, cheery citrus and ginger with woods, musk and a not too sweet vanilla. Absolutely delightful - like Spring Fling! Hope to be with even more friends at the next Sniffa event.

As always, heartfelt thanks to Karen Adams and Karen Dubin for putting it all together! Bravissima, ladies!

"I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Aloha, Haunani!

First, thank you so much for the great reviews you posted of the samples you ordered! I'm so happy you're enjoying them! QUEST does have a green, herbal middle note that many find intoxicating. More men are drawn to wearing it but it does have it's female admirers!

MARINER has notes that include: Bergamot, Geranium, Damask Rose, Gardenia, Lily of the Valley, Sandalwood, Cedar and Light Musk.

I'm so glad you like it!

Fragrant Dreams!

Neil

Quote Originally Posted by Whiffman View Post
    Aloha, Haunani!

First, thank you so much for the great reviews you posted of the samples you ordered! I'm so happy you're enjoying them! QUEST does have a green, herbal middle note that many find intoxicating. More men are drawn to wearing it but it does have it's female admirers!

MARINER has notes that include: Bergamot, Geranium, Damask Rose, Gardenia, Lily of the Valley, Sandalwood, Cedar and Light Musk

I'm so glad you like it!

Fragrant Dreams!

Neil
    Aloha back to you, Neil! I'm having a grand time with my samples. Yes, I think I will try QUEST again because I think I missed something. Thank you for the information on MARINER. I am loving everything about it!

Tdem, what company was the man in the yellow pants, with the tulips (the man not the pants) from?

Asome glade to hear a fellow BNer was their to, I thought I was going to meet tons of Bners but I couldn't find any

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by debbborra View Post
    Tdem, what company was the man in the yellow pants, with the tulips (the man not the pants) from?
    Deb, I'm not 100% sure - maybe Honoré des Prés, the house with the organic frags by Olivia Giacobetti?
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Yes! Thank you!

You guys are the bestest! Thanks for your time and thought put into answering my questions.

Hello everybody and thank you debbbora for the kind words! It was such a wonderful experience being there with everybody and meeting new friends to boot. RHM love you dearly sweetheart!

I love all the great energy that permeates throughout the events. The hugs, laughs and talks make it so much more than just a gathering.

With love,
    G

OOOO, I just must do a Sniffa, just must. Thank you so much for your very evocative write-up, debbbora.

Wow, great descriptions, thank you so much for telling us about it. Sniffa sounds great.

And I'll add a "hello!" to Whiffman and G Knight from all the way across the pond!
    "A woman who doesn't wear perfume has no future." Coco Chanel

I'm streamlining my collection http://community.basenotes.net/showt...29#post1219729

Thanks so much for the reports, debbbora and other attendees. It sounds wonderful. I went to the LA Sniffa last year with Tovah, and I heard that the NY one is the absolutely best. I'm hoping to make it to the Fall NY Sniffa.

We need a special BN call or handshake so that we can connect at events like this!
    For sale: JL Scherrer parfum (reduced price) and more!

"One half of the world cannot understand the pleasures of the other." ~ Jane Austen

“Pleasure is the flower that passes; remembrance, the lasting perfume” ~ Jean de Boufflers

Maybe color coded scarves or funny hats. Or some really strong perfume. Ok, maybe not the really strong perfume.

Basenotes Plus

I always write "RHM" under my name, so people know it's me. It's so crowded though....I don't know if anybody actually looks at the name tag. There's also a lot going on, plenty to see & smell.
    I like the funny hat idea.

What a great event! I wish I could have been there (but then your description makes me feel almost like I was)