Code of Conduct

Default Suggestions for casual "off-duty" scent

So, I don't need a huge scent wardrobe - I'm happy trying a lot of things through samples and decant, but I'd like to have four or five go-to scents to rely on depending on the situation.

The "Money" Scent: Bois du Portugal
    This is the "Yes, I'm working, and I'm the one in charge" scent. Has a great personality on me without overpowering.

The "Clean" Scent: Tam Dao
    Runners-up: Heeley's Sel Marin, T&H 1805
    This is for maybe working, maybe out during the daytime, but low profile. Notice the runners-up are both marine / aquatic scents. They work well on me, but don't really do anything for me personally. Sel Marin is an outstanding scent for its type, but I'm not a huge fan of the genre. Tam Dao is great: one clean note that smells very good.

The "Significant Other" Scent - YSL M7
    Runners-up: Eau d'Hermes, C&S No. 88
    This stuff is phenomenal on me. She's not into a lot of scents - JPG Le Male is about the only thing she wears with any regularity. I thought she might like Ambre Sultan, but it's just too sweet on me to bear. M7 works like crazy.

NOTE: here is where I need the suggestions...

The "Off-Duty" Scent - ???
    Leading Candidates: Chergui, Himalaya, ...?
    This is for evenings out, but more of a casual setting, not an intimate setting. Chergui I consider a strong candidate here. Great scent but still reserved, stays close to the skin. Drawback is short longevity so far, though I only have a sample. I think a spray might do better in this area. Himalaya is OK, but doesn't rock my socks off. Ideas?

(Side note - the Significant Other's bottle of Le Male is almost out; if anyone has suggestions of something similar but slightly more unique I could have her try, I'd be interested - if not, I may just get her another bottle, because it smells great on her.)

Thanks!
    Last edited by TromboneGuy; 7th April 2009 at 05:12 AM.
    - E.J.

Default Re: Suggestions for casual "off-duty" scent

Yves Saint Laurent L'Homme
    Perfume noob

Thanks for the suggestion - I'll give that one a try.
    - E.J.

Off duty:

I find all of the following to be "comfortable" and great smelling without making too much of a statement or fitting into a distinct category of setting. Lemme know if that's not quite what you're looking for.

Straight to Heaven
    Eau Noire
    Live Jazz
    Prada Amber
    Rive Gauche
    Vetiver (Guerlain)
    Erolfa
    Green Valley
    Sales thread here

MI is a great off duty scent

it's my standby when I am walking out the door and it works no matter what the occasion

a close second is Mugler Cologne
    top ten: L'Air du Desert Marocain, Black Aoud, Le Labo Rose 31, Bois du Portugal, Incense Rose, Millesime Imperial, Czech & Speake no.88, Terre de Hermes, Musc Ravageur, Nasomatto Duro

Best layers: GIT and TdH, GIT and BA

sample wishlist: Roses Musk

Great suggestions, guys. Thanks!
    - E.J.

Guerlain L'instant Homme Eau Extreme is a great "warm and friendly" off duty - very nice for an evening with good friends.
    Also, how about an "easy-going" lavender like Caldey Island or Trumpers or C&S Oxford and Cambridge or Caron Pour un homme?
    "Don’t try to be original. Be simple. Be good technically, and if there is something in you, it will come out. ” - Henri Matisse.

"Wear R de Capucci" - Hirch Duckfinder

reviews

A good yet super cheap frag that fits this bill is Adidas Victory League.

Again, thanks guys! I'm off in search of some samples...
    - E.J.

Chanel, Egosite. I think many members will agree that this fragrance is classy yet playful. Among the many I have tested, this one remains at the top. It is like no other scent I have ever tested and it is not one of those bold scents either, it is refined and classy and seems to, almost always, garner a warm reception from non-BN members.
    Last edited by TheAttorney; 8th April 2009 at 02:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by L'aventurier View Post
    Off duty:

I find all of the following to be "comfortable" and great smelling without making too much of a statement or fitting into a distinct category of setting. Lemme know if that's not quite what you're looking for.

Straight to Heaven
    Eau Noire
    Live Jazz
    Prada Amber
    Rive Gauche
    Vetiver (Guerlain)
    Erolfa
    Green Valley
    Wow, great suggestions... I think all would be worth checking out. That lists covers a lot of bases!

Acqua di Parma - Colonia Assoluta

Varvatos. For me, it just always seems appropriate.

He he he . I just sprayed on a kleenex some Noir Epic by Mickel roudistka from Fred Malle and put it in my son's bedroom to fill the air. Will he notice? he's 17 and says he doesn't like fragrance. He'll be home soon to smell it...

QUESTion- I don't know where to put this question on the website so I'll throw it out to you all. What does the 2 stars mean by my name? Some folks have 5 stars... I don't have a clue.
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

Quote Originally Posted by Eliza View Post

QUESTion- I don't know where to put this question on the website so I'll throw it out to you all. What does the 2 stars mean by my name? Some folks have 5 stars... I don't have a clue.
    It has to do with your post count. Once you reach a certain number of posts, you get a star. Once you hit 1000 posts, you will have 5 stars...

ohh... I get it. Thanks!
    Eliza
    (seems like vintage L'origan was made just for me)

Actually, your thought of Chergui might be perfect... give it another chance - it has nooo longevity problems on me. That thing lasts through the day and then some. However, it really needs to be sprayed rather than dabbed, so you might have only tried it out of a sample vial.

There are some other great rec's here (many of which I wear and love!), but you owe it to yourself to give Chergui a good, juicy, sprayed wear. Then you'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by jrd4t View Post
    Actually, your thought of Chergui might be perfect... give it another chance - it has nooo longevity problems on me. That thing lasts through the day and then some. However, it really needs to be sprayed rather than dabbed, so you might have only tried it out of a sample vial.

There are some other great rec's here (many of which I wear and love!), but you owe it to yourself to give Chergui a good, juicy, sprayed wear. Then you'll see.
    good advice, chergui is a very appropriate "off-duty" choice...

Basenotes Institution

Another vote for Chergui!

Please, please try Maitre Perfumeur et Gantier's Garrigue. This is the epitomy, of laid back elegance. It smells amazing, and understated, and just feels like it can be comfortable in any situation. It's a new found favorite of mine, and I really think it fits perfectly into what you are looking for.

Edit: Don't mean to hijack the thread, just have a simple question. I have never smelled Rive Gauche, but to anyone that has smelled both Rive Gauche and Garrigue, do they smell at all similar? To me, just from hearing descriptions, Garrigue smells like what I picture Rive Gauche to smell like.
    Last edited by mtgprox05; 9th April 2009 at 04:01 PM.

Some of my favorite 'casual, do-nothing' frags that my girlfriend likes are:
    Bvlgari Aqua
    Terre d'Hermes
    Versace Man eau Fraiche
    D&G pour homme
    Lolita Lempicka

I've tried to list them from lightest to heaviest.
    Looking for: Andy Tauer - L'air du Desert Morocain & Incense Extreme

Check out my NEW Aussie sale / trade thread here -
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/249...76#post1801576

A very casual relaxed scent on me would be Original Santal by Creed.

Try Bond No.9's Nuits de Noho for another SO scent.

All great suggestions in here - and yes, I have a spray decant of Chergui on the way - all I had to try previously was a small sample vial from Aedes.

Thanks again!
    - E.J.

Duo Homme by Vuarnet is also a very casual scent.

For nice but not overly over-powering fragrances at the moment I use:

Arpege by Lanvin
    Helmut Lang Cologne (lasts ages for an EDC)
    Zegna Extreme (just smells great and never offends)
    Opus 1870 by Penhaligon's - stays close to the skin and for a long time but smells lovely
    Mont Blanc Homme Exceptionnel
    Jasper Conran Man (I prefer Mister which is lovely and distinctive)
    Hamptons by Bond No 9 is a bit like Opus 1870, doesn't project far but stays close to the skin and is lovely,
    Azarro pour Homme - After the Lavender burst in the opening, this is a very classy, refined and delicious scent that lasts ages.
    In a world where people smell bad, it is the personal responsibility of every Basenoter to improve the world one SotD at a time...

Update:

I tried Chergui in a spray, and what a difference! Much more presence, and a more agressive opening than before. Fantastic.

YSL L'Homme: Nice scent, though it seems to disappear very rapidly on me. However, I also tried Caron's 3rd Man, which works extremely well on me. Very interesting fragrance to this one. I need a few more wears on the Caron, though I'll give L'Homme a proper few wearings too.

Surprise test: Rose 31. I really, really like this. It's more subtle than No. 88, which on me seems not to evolve at all and is like having rose petals and sandalwood stuffed up my nose for 8 hours. (Don't take that as a knock, No. 88 is fantastic with a light hand.) However, Rose 31 is something that I think could be pulled off on a more day-to-day basis.

Clearly, I still have more to try, though I think I definitely see bottles of Chergui and Rose 31 in my future. Most likely 3rd Man as well.

Still waiting on my blind-buy of Carlo Corinto Vetiver to arrive...
    - E.J.

Quote Originally Posted by TromboneGuy View Post
    Update:

I tried Chergui in a spray, and what a difference! Much more presence, and a more agressive opening than before. Fantastic.

YSL L'Homme: Nice scent, though it seems to disappear very rapidly on me. However, I also tried Caron's 3rd Man, which works extremely well on me. Very interesting fragrance to this one. I need a few more wears on the Caron, though I'll give L'Homme a proper few wearings too.

Surprise test: Rose 31. I really, really like this. It's more subtle than No. 88, which on me seems not to evolve at all and is like having rose petals and sandalwood stuffed up my nose for 8 hours. (Don't take that as a knock, No. 88 is fantastic with a light hand.) However, Rose 31 is something that I think could be pulled off on a more day-to-day basis.

Clearly, I still have more to try, though I think I definitely see bottles of Chergui and Rose 31 in my future. Most likely 3rd Man as well.

Still waiting on my blind-buy of Carlo Corinto Vetiver to arrive...
    I'm interested in hearing you're thoughts on CC Vetiver. I agree completely with your opinion on Rose 31. It really is lovely, and feels so much more wearable than any other rose fragrance.
    <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><> <><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>

Obsessions of the Moment- Kristiansand EDC, Green Irish Tweed, Zizan

Granted, we've known each other for some time. It don't take a whole day to recognize sunshine. ~ Common Sense

Carlo Corinto Vetyver:

Now, I did not really appreciate the first few vetiver scents I tried, but I think my nose had just not developed to that point yet, as it was very early on in my introduction to this hobby...

Wow. This is a whole different animal. Starts off VERY powerful. Heavy on the frankincense, and I think I get a bit of anise and cumin in the background? Maybe that's just my nose playing tricks on me. The vetiver starts to come through after a few minutes and it settles down into a wonderful earthy green. My nose isn't nearly as good as wicozani's, but I'd say his description in this thread is spot-on. I can't stop smelling my wrist. Definite keeper here.
    - E.J.