Code of Conduct

Default Can a man wear bal Versailles

I love this and want to wear it more often. For some reason I think it suits me. How many people would instantly click that it's a "female" fragrance? Hope Im not embarrassing myself with it. Anyway what "male" fragrance could I say it is if somebody asked?

ps Using EDT.
    Last edited by FlamingShorts; 7th April 2009 at 08:54 AM.

Default Re: Can a man wear bal Versailles

Absolutely yes ... many BN'rs wear BaV with pleasure. As do I. I do not think there is anything particularly feminine about this frag .... in fact I actually think the opposite is more true , and it almost seems more masculine to me (but then that could be because of the way it is reacting with my own skin chemistry). ... Also the only version of it that I have is a very old vintage one ... which I might add, is still in absolutely perfect condition. Though even if it were not, it would only add another "off" skanky quality to it, anyway ! ... Ha!

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by FlamingShorts View Post
    Anyway what "male" fragrance could I say it is if somebody asked?
    Just say "Bal a Versailles" . Seriously.

BaV can be comfortably worn by a man. Sampled it sometime ago and will still get a bottle. I have Miller Harris' L'Air de Rien which has been compared side by side with BaV in another frag blog.

Welcome to BaseNotes, FlamingShorts!
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Sur la Plage

Most certainly! If you like it, wear it!
    Last edited by petruccijc; 7th April 2009 at 11:36 AM.
    Please feel free to check out my Swap Thread - Patou pour Homme, L'Instant de Guerlain PH Extreme, Dior Homme Intense, Pure Malt, Pure Coffee and many more! Click Here For My Swap Thread

Quote Originally Posted by FlamingShorts View Post
    I love this and want to wear it more often. For some reason I think it suits me. How many people would instantly click that it's a "female" fragrance? Hope Im not embarrassing myself with it. Anyway what "male" fragrance could I say it is if somebody asked?

ps Using EDT.
    Honestly it is the first sentence of your post that is the most important factor about whether you can wear Bal a Versailles. If you love it and want to wear it you should. If you carry it off nobody is going to think anything other than "there is a guy who smells good".
    And if someone asks you what you're wearing just tell them. Trust me 98% of the people will have never heard of it before. The other 2% are us and its likely you're talking to another perfumista or colognoisseur.
    As to whether I wear wear Bal a Versailles, yes I do and I like it.
    More writing on fragrance by me to be found at http://www.cafleurebon.com/

No, it will cause you to grow breasts and lactate.

Of course a man can wear it; if you like it wear it.
    Seek not the favor of the multitude; it is seldom got by honest and lawful means. But seek the testimony of few; and number not voices, but weigh them. - Immanuel Kant

I love Bal a Versailles. I have the EdC which is supposedly close to the original formula. It really does the dirty leather thing well.
    Last edited by Kevin Guyer; 8th April 2009 at 02:58 AM.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    I love Bal a Versailles. I have the EdC which is supposedly close to the original formula. It really does the dirty leather thing well.
    Ooh, I didn't know there was an EdC. Tip!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Ooh, I didn't know there was an EdC. Tip!
    Yes, and you can almost always find it very cheaply online. Heaven knows why it's considered an EdC.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruggles View Post
    My local Marshall's was loaded at one time with this stuff. Personally I found it to be very gross and all I could think of was a very old lady wearing this who clothes smelled like mothballs.

It's great! And if you can find the vintage, it's even better!

Blog Entries

I'm starting to think it should be worn mainly by men. It doesn't work for me.

Quote Originally Posted by scentimus View Post
    My local Marshall's was loaded at one time with this stuff. Personally I found it to be very gross and all I could think of was a very old lady wearing this who clothes smelled like mothballs.
    Yes, but when a man wears it...........

Hillaire

Okay, I totally have to encourage you to wear Paco Rabanne La Nuit, if you like Bal....
    Seriously, it's very much the same but more hardcore (leathery and dungy), and more "manly" if that matters...

A MAN can wear anything. Its the people who have doubts about being a man that have to worry about what they wear.

- Ali

SOTD - Opium Pour Femme

Thanks team, I feel better about this one now. I find baV is comforting and says "cuddle me, I could be your favourite teddy-bear"
    Last edited by FlamingShorts; 8th April 2009 at 05:45 AM.

Basenotes Institution

I finally found some vintage EdC today and bought it for a great price.

The EdC has, as a few other threads suggest, a similar leather feel to Knize Ten and (dare-I-say) Tabac Blond.

I think the comparisons to L' Air de Rein by Miller Harris are credible, although this one hints at a much more orientalized feel
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 10th May 2010 at 05:04 AM.

Most of the time, the issue is with the top notes, so the main consideration may be when to spray it on or how to get the top notes to dissipate more quickly (such as by blowing the area dry, as I do).

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Most of the time, the issue is with the top notes, so the main consideration may be when to spray it on or how to get the top notes to dissipate more quickly (such as by blowing the area dry, as I do).
    Maybe it's just me, or maybe it's the fact that I am smelling the Eau de Cologne, but IMO the top notes are very easy on my nose.

I was speaking generally, not on this frag in particular. I tried it a very long time ago, and it impressed me as too "feminine," but I don't I paid much attention to the drydown, so I wouldn't be surprised if I had a different opinion these days.

You guys are hurting me, making BaV hard to resist. I have an old bottle of edt that's part of the next girlfriend collection. So I don't want to break it out until then.
    That girl, that bottle, that mattress and me.

I'll probably get ridiculed for even saying this, but I've heard Bal a Versailles was one of Michael Jackson's favorite frags. That he had some kind of ridiculous stockpile of the stuff and that he would get anxious when he didn't have a sufficient quantity on hand. I know, I know...laugh it up. I did hear that, though, and somewhat recently.

Yes you can. Somerville is right, no one will know what it is. I can't see a woman wearing it, to be honest. I've also worn Jean Nate and Arpege, both of which are marketed to women, but work fine on men.

La Nuit by Paco Rabanne is similar to Bal a Versasilles vintage edp?
    Want more reviews? Check out my fragrance blog, In The Nose
    Http://Dkchocoman.wordpress.com

No. Versailles pour homme is the one to try and, yes, I know it's difficult to find. But there's a reason why we have 'pour femme' and 'pour homme'. The 'sensibilities' and notes to do matter with regards to the intended sex. Why any male would wear Coco or L'huere blue is beyond me.

When you are wearing something as marvelous as Opium homme eau de parfum, you just have to wonder why one would choose the woman's version.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sirsmellzalot View Post
    I'll probably get ridiculed for even saying this, but I've heard Bal a Versailles was one of Michael Jackson's favorite frags. That he had some kind of ridiculous stockpile of the stuff and that he would get anxious when he didn't have a sufficient quantity on hand. I know, I know...laugh it up. I did hear that, though, and somewhat recently.
    If Michael Jackson wore the woman's version that's good enough reason to stay away from it! Look what happened to him.
    Choose to believe, choose joy.
    Scelga di credere, scelga la gioia.

Quote Originally Posted by graffham View Post
    No. Versailles pour homme is the one to try and, yes, I know it's difficult to find.
    Agree. Versailles Pour Homme is great and glad I own it.

Never tried this in person, but there seems to be quite a genuine consensus among the fragrance fans I asked about this scent being worn by a man, the prevailing answer being yes.

Basenotes Plus
    Blog Entries

I agree with the majority on this and that is to wear what you like. I most strongly advise you to go beyond BDV and venture as far into feminines as you dare. Scents carry no insecurity of gender and after I learned that and to be myself it opened up the entire fragrance world to me. I have never looked back and now I have masculine and feminine frags in my collection I love and love to wear ,yes, out in public! Be YOURSELF!!!
    I'm not OLD...I'm VINTAGE!

Yes. Wear it ~ and if anyone asks you what you are wearing, reply "Bal a Versailles".
    It would be misleading to say anything else. I have often asked people what they are wearing, because I have loved the smell ~ and I have been really grateful when they have given me a truthful answer.
    Perhap's go easy on the dosage.....it's stroong stuff !
    " Only wimps swim with the current "

Here's a Homme version of Versailles: Versailles pour Homme - It's for men.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

I currently have the Parfum de Toilette and EdT. The Edt is kinda ho-hum to me. The Pdt is much better (richer and darker) but the parfum is my favorite. I went through a tiny bottle of the parfum in no time. It's has a vague kinship to Kouros, but much more wearable.

If you feel confident.....Sure!

Sound Scents

Absolutely; and the vintage Parfum in particular is truly great stuff. I recently got a chance to try the "good stuff" thanks to Rubegon's great generosity and find myself quite captivated.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frdric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'dri) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Dependent

I'm just getting into fems and this one intrigues me. I love animalic accords. How aldehydic do you guys find it? Powdery?

Guerlainista

Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Absolutely; and the vintage Parfum in particular is truly great stuff. I recently got a chance to try the "good stuff" thanks to Rubegon's great generosity and find myself quite captivated.
    Cool - I'm glad you liked it! Sorry it was such a miserly sample - I don't have very much of the parfum.

Quote Originally Posted by MonkeyBars View Post
    I'm just getting into fems and this one intrigues me. I love animalic accords. How aldehydic do you guys find it? Powdery?
    Not aldehydic at all, I think. Huge animalic oriental. I don't find it powdery at all, but that can mean different things to different people. I've heard people describe things as powdery that I just don't get at all.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by rubegon View Post
    Not aldehydic at all, I think. Huge animalic oriental. I don't find it powdery at all, but that can mean different things to different people. I've heard people describe things as powdery that I just don't get at all.
    Powdery for me is benzoin usually. It all depends on just how sweet that oriental base is.