Code of Conduct

Default Lubin - Gin Fizz (Opaline Flacons, released ? '47? - '55? - 60ies??)

Does anyone know anything about an old Lubin release called Gin Fizz ....BUT ... that was in a cylindrical white opaque "Opaline Bottle" with kinda , two rows along the middle of the bottle, equally spaced ... "spots" of circular fan shaped "sprigs" of green (almost like those circular palm fronds) .... with an edging of tendrils of vines, along the top and bottom of the bottle. And also around the lid, which is also white with a row of green vine tendrils. The lid is also edged with a line of gold top and bottom ??? (It has a very "thirties" look and feel to it).
    I have never seen another one like it since ... and cannot find any info on it at all.

I am mostly wondering exactly what year these were released in ? Anybody know for sure ??
    I have been told it was sometime in the 60ies ? Would this be correct ???

EDIT :
    I have just managed to attach a pic below ! So you can see exactly what I mean now!

I believe that some other designs were also released around the same time. (One with some painted "blue figurines" ??) ... "Gin Fizz" was it first released in 1955 or 1947 ?? or 1960ies sometime ?) ... Thanks in advance !

Last edited by Sybarite; 23rd September 2009 at 08:45 PM.

Blog Entries

Default Re: Lubin - Gin Fizz (when first released ??? 1940ies ???)

I have one from about the same time, by the look of it. Mine is in a Wedgewood style bottle. A navy blue pastoral scene printed on the same white glass bottle, same label. The juice is great!

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    I have one from about the same time, by the look of it. Mine is in a Wedgewood style bottle. A navy blue pastoral scene printed on the same white glass bottle, same label. The juice is great!
    Hiya kumquat .... that's very intersting news indeed. You do mean that it is also an actual Gin Fizz ... and not just another Lubin ??? ... I was not aware that they did another differently patterened one, also in an opaque bottle. I would love to be able to see what it looks like. I don't suppose there is any possibility of you perhaps posting a couple of pics of it, here on this thread .... so we could all enjoy lookin at it.
    I have often wondered if they are actually worth anything. As the only other place I have seen one like this is at this museum .... that "Dimitri" here on BM ... managed to source for me. Here is the address, if you would like to go see. My bottle unfortunately seems to have lost quite a bit of it's gilding. Was yours gilded as well ? ... I am ever so very curious now .... please please please post some pics for us . ... Thanx !
    Here is the address http://www.museudelperfum.net/?q=ca/...ulta&id=103745

Could yours be Nuit de Longchamp kumquat?
    Here is a similar flacon on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.fr/NUIT-DE-LOMGCHAMP...#ht_500wt_1182

Could yours be Nuit de Longchamp kumquat?
    Here is a similar flacon on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.fr/NUIT-DE-LOMGCHAMP...#ht_500wt_1182
    OOoh damn it Dimi you have done it again. I actually much prefer that one, to my one. I would even probably prefer the perfume too ! ... It's also a pretty good price really. Which again makes me think mine will probably not be worth much more than this one. But I do very much prefer it's design. ....... Oh well !

Sybarite - dont be discouraged... if my french is anything to go by, they are selling their bottle empty, and sometimes sellers just dont know what they are holding in their hands. If I were you, Id consider BUYING a bottle, just to flesh out your collection. Theyre objects of beauty, so why not begin a small collection? Who knows - ONE day, they might be worth a penny or two.

Hm, now I tried the link above, I am get a "page not accessible" prompt.

Here is the bottle below for anyone thats interested.

Last edited by Sybarite; 11th April 2009 at 09:46 AM.

You know, I am considering getting that one, I think. It's actually completely different from the types of bottles I would usually go for. But there is something I like about it. And though it is kinda nice to know they may one day be worth something. It's not really a consideration I take into account when I get a bottle. I get it usually for it's aesthetic value, really. If it so happens to be valueable at some later stage, (I won't lie), it's I suppose a nice extra bonous. He he !
    Thanx for the pic, (and the find) Dimitri !

Blog Entries

That's the one I have. I'll find it & photograph it for you. I have two. One is Gin Fizz & one is Nuit D'L.

And both the Gin Fizz and the Nuit D'L , both have the exact same design, on the one's you have ? ... That's odd ! ... But I suppose if if looks exactly the same as the one shown above. Then it's ok, you don't have to bother with it. Dimitri has been kind enough to spare you the hassle of photographing and uploading.

Blog Entries

This is it:

plus this screw-top bottle. It's empty, no label.

Last edited by kumquat; 12th April 2009 at 12:41 AM.

Oooh ! Thanks Kumquat ... those are just lovely.. I am particularly intrested (and impressed) with the silver screw top one. I do wonder what it contained (perhaps cream ???). Do you know if it is real silver ? ... And if the other one's are full ?? How is your Gin Fizz. still ok (well both actually?) ? ... Mine still has lemony top notes and smells strongest of rose. Which is quite something for it's 60 odd years ! It's a "granny" (LOL). (But I am not actually particularly that impressed with the actual perfume. But do think that it has endured pretty well for it's age (1947 !).
    Last edited by Sybarite; 12th April 2009 at 03:24 AM.

Blog Entries

I don't know if it's anything special, silverplate if any I'd guess. I got these all separately and the first one I acquired was Nuits D'Longchamps, mislabeled as Gin Fizz, then I got Gin Fizz, then this odd empty one. It was all by happenstance. I stumbled onto all 3. Funny how that happens sometimes.

Sybarite, I love the spring green leaf design version you found. It's gorgeous!

The Gin Fizz is great, especially for it's age, but the best is Nd'L. Just top drawer chypre/aldehyde. They don't make them like that any more.
    Last edited by kumquat; 12th April 2009 at 05:35 AM.

I find today a similar bottle. I will send you tomorroy a pic.
    I was curiouse about this bottle. The one I found have more flowers.

Ola ! Afonso ... yes please do send a pic, I would very much like to see it. I am amazed that there is even yet another one that is again different from the two above. I am now starting to wonder, how many different bottles Lubin brought out for "Gin Fizz" . I am presuming yours is a Gin Fizz one too ? (Or is it one of his other perfumes ?)

I was just checking a Lubin website that has these opaline bottles on them and they are all dated in the 1960's. Can any of you confirm yours is from the 40's?
    Currently looking for Ava Luxe Midnight Violet

Visit my offsite sales thread for other items for sale - just updated!
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?p=265#265

Blog Entries

Default Re: Lubin - Gin Fizz (Opaline bottles, when released ? 60ies ???)

I think the first post has been edited. It states that Gin Fizz was released in 1955 so probably these came later. (1960's)

Default Re: Lubin - Gin Fizz (Opaline bottles, when released ? 60ies ???)

I found the site:

http://www.parfumlubin.com/

click on "les flacons" and scroll through

there are three opaline bottles in their collection

1. Nuit de Longchamp, which matches the ones kumquat has and the one that I am about to get with Gin Fizz in it, the blue and white bucolic scene and dated 1962

2. Gin Fizz, which matches the one Sybarite has with appropriately Gin Fizz in it, dated 1960, and

3. Idole, which is red and white, bucolic scene, dated 1962.

I have reason to believe they were using these as a collectible/marketing strategy at the time. Also, I have reason to believe Gin Fizz was originally released in 1947 rather than 1955. I have 99% faith in BN data but there is the occasional 1%. Still, although there are dozens of the opaline Lubin bottles available on online auctions (usually empty), they almost always claim 1940's as their origination date. I find this to be some sort of "myth" that has been started and promulgated through lack of knowledge. I would love to be wrong however...

Default Re: Lubin - Gin Fizz (Opaline Flacons, released ? '47? - '55? - 60ies??)

Well, I sent an email to Lubin inquiring about the use of opaline bottles and this was his response:

"Dear Sir

Regarding vintage perfumes and bottles, there were to my knowledge 4 so-called opalines bottles of : Gin Fizz (green lettering) Nuit de Longchamp (blue) and Eau Neuve ( I guess red) and Idole ( first version, quite rare). These vintage bottles, all date from the late 1950’s or early 1960's, not before. They were particularly successful in the US and were sold till the late 1960’s or early 1970’s.

Best regards,
    Gilles Thévenin
    Lubin
    www.lubin.eu"

So, there you have it. I am not entirely convinced. After all, there are so many opaline bottles out there in blue with Gin Fizz labels but I believe there is some validity to his dating at least.